Saturday 9th January 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 9th January 2016

Post by rebeccariots2 »

HindleA wrote:Getting surreal to me,tbh.
I think we're both on pork pie time now HindleA. That won't be helping us in the reality stakes.
Working on the wild side.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Probably more to do with McDonnell?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

To sleep. May tomorrow bring a bit of sunshine - less rain - and some respite from uppity MPs.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Good night.Sleep tight.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

HindleA wrote:Getting surreal to me,tbh.
The last nearly six years have felt quite surreal, tbh, it has taxed my imagination to the limit.

My very politicaly incorrect new insight into the present is that the government is repurposing sick and disabled people as the blacks of the UK, which has nothing to do with racism but everything to do with status and placement in society, or lack of worth being made manifest in everyway. I read most days accounts from people who now fear doing ordinary things like going out, taking a bus, having a pint, and others where the ordinary is so far from their current norm as to be seen as tall tales by others with lives still well ordered.

The flagged up demise of AA potential, and those of us caught inbetween, as well as what happens when it isn't just our own mobility, but social mobility of any kind, such as access to suitable housing, or indeed for some, any housing, and what happens when bedrooms, bathroom, stairs, gardens, outdoors, shops, activity, friends and support systems are no longer accessible and consequent shrinkwrapping and or ossification of normality is bad enough, but that it is largely invisible or seen as a good progressive thing by others makes for something that goes beyond the surreal. As is the terrifying notion that having a bed might 'cure' the loss of QoL.

We are into Marie Antionette territory here, 'let them have sofas' ........

Where next I keep wondering, or alternatively, what new low next?
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

The thought of Tommy Robinsons 'God-given right to protect women' fills me with horror.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... CMP=twt_gu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The most dangerous cocktail is the chancellor’s own recipe
William Keegan
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Dr.Phil Hammond
"Biggest issue facing NHS is recruitment & retention of junior & senior staff now & in future. Enforced contract +bursary cuts spell disaster"
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

DfE in "How to create a complete shambles by not thinking about things first"

DfE changes ‘perverse’ accounting after audit office criticism

http://schoolsweek.co.uk/dfe-changes-it ... -criticism
Department for Education plans for getting its accounts in order after stinging criticism from the government’s audit watchdog have been labelled as “not acceptable on any level”.

The issues stemmed from the department having to combine the accounts of more than 2,500 organisations – most of them academy trusts with a different accounting period.

Each year the department must produce its financial statements by the end of March, while the accounting period for trusts runs until the end
of August.

Now the DfE is proposing to publish a separate report with accounts for the academies sector, on an academic year basis.

While it falls outside the normal parliamentary spending control procedures, it considers the solution “attractive and appropriate”.
This isn't only a problem in the past - if Cameron gets his way, 17000-odd schools will have to change their accounts year end from March to August to fit into the way that the DfE wants academies to report.

So...instead of, in 2010 asking 106 organisations to change from August to March, thousands will have had to change the other way round.

Part of the blame has to go to Labour who let trusts have a school year end rather than financial but that doesn't excuse the lack of foresight from an incoming administration in 2010.

Ironically, the public sector is supposed to be more business-like these days yet no company would tolerate such a situation.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

Owen Smith to review Labour's social security policy. He also talks of maybe being leader one day, although wisely pointing out that there is 'no vacancy' just yet.
Corbyn has pledged to abolish the household benefit cap but Smith said that the current limit of £20,000 (£23,000 in London) should be reformed, rather than scrapped.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk ... our-leader" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ScreenShot01384.jpg
ScreenShot01384.jpg (64.84 KiB) Viewed 4794 times
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

That "let ministers have a free vote" policy going well then?

Tory Cabinet ministers 'censored' in new referendum row

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... m-row.html
David Cameron is facing a fresh Cabinet revolt amid warnings that Downing Street is censoring eurosceptic ministers in order to keep Britain in the European Union.

Senior officials have taken the extraordinary step of seeking to vet – and in some cases alter - speeches from ministers in Parliament, to tone down their eurosceptic comments, The Telegraph can reveal.

At the same time, pro-European ministers are being encouraged to make their cases for why Britain should vote to stay in the EU in the forthcoming referendum.

Right-wing Tories are furious at what they see as Number 10's coordinated attempt to rig the referendum debate by “gagging” Eurosceptic colleagues.
:D
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... -deterrent" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Blue on blue, red on red. Welcome to the year of great schisms…
Andrew Rawnsley
Vordy
Backbencher

Post by Vordy »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Vordy wrote:New post on Exaro News concerning paedophiles and a public broadcaster.

http://www.exaronews.com/articles/5733/ ... vivors-ids" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Is the Exaro story a different story / person from this one Vordy? I'm getting rather confused about the different investigations, leaks, allegedly bent coppers, etc etc.
'Westminster paedophile ring' police officer DCI Paul Settle investigated by watchdog over claims of leaking material to media
DCI Settle was charged with looking into claims of VIP sexual abuse at Dolphin Square, the Elm Guest House in Barnes and elsewhere

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/cr ... 03726.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just found this Rebeccariots.

DCI Paul Settle Did Not Leak VIP Accuser Details.

Source:

https://theneedleblog.wordpress.com/201 ... r-details/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

RobertSnozers wrote: Me too. I'm sick of all the utter lack of compromise. Labour as a party is doing its best to persuade me that it isn't worth my support. It's not just the PLP, although they include the worst elements. I caught sight of a couple of Twitter feeds from people who used to frequent this place tonight, and I'd say 80% of it is spouting bile at 'Corbyistas'. Bloody hell, if people could hear themselves. Everyone's accusing everyone else and they're basically all doing the same thing. Apart from a few people, most of the current participants to FTN I must say, not to mention Corbyn himself, who's doing his best to conduct himself with dignity and doing the job that the majority of the party wants him to do and a small number keep stopping him from doing.
The most pleasurable reading experience I've had recently was yesterday when I read the Richard Murphy response to Jolyon Maugham's piece and then BTL.

BTL was serious, considered, polite discussion - with no personal attacks and a focus on the substance of policy and strategy. How rare is that these days.
http://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2016 ... abour-for/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh 1m1 minute ago
Cameron's big housing priority: "We should have a big shift towards more affordable housing *to buy*" [not rent].
Lucy Powell MP ‏@LucyMPowell 4m4 minutes ago
So basically PMs new housing plan is to knock down council estates in London (expensive) and replace with private housing to buy ... #marr
Tom Blenkinsop ‏@TomBlenkinsop 2m2 minutes ago
Of course, Cameron believes a house costing up to £500k, is affordable #marr
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

There aren't that many families on £26,000 . None that I know of personally. Problem is that by keep banging on about it keeps feeding into the trolls and bigots who think that they go to work on a low paid job and pay tax just to keep ppl like me in luxury.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Yet another good read from William Keegan. PF will be pleased (as am I).
The most dangerous cocktail is the chancellor’s own recipe
William Keegan
http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... -statement" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Faced apparently with downward revisions to economic forecasts made as recently as November and December, what does the chancellor do? Does he consider for one moment that perhaps he should rescind the austerity programme that aims at a budget surplus on current and capital account within a few years?

No, on the contrary: he warns of “the beginning of the decline” of Britain unless the cuts to vital services continue. Moreover he unashamedly boasts to John Humphrys on the Today programme of conducting “the most sustained squeeze on public spending for 100 years”.

The chutzpah of this chancellor knows few bounds. He managed to tell a straight lie to his interviewer when the subject came up of the prime minister’s about-turn on his instructions to cabinet ministers regarding campaigning in the forthcoming EU referendum.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

The Andrew Marr Show ‏@MarrShow 8m8 minutes ago
Cameron: If GB votes to leave EU, I can remain PM. My authority depends on us having a referendum, not GB remaining in EU #marr #marrshow
Jaw dropping.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ITV News ‏@itvnews 6m6 minutes ago
We'd like to welcome @peston to @itvnews! His first day as our Political Editor is tomorrow...
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-morning, everyone
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

A lot of people wish to pay more tax to satisfy misanthropy,the benefit cap is specifically targeted at those not expected to work(of course some do);for to actually apply to the people propagandised as applying to would render a miniscule number and it is the equivalent of that amount calculated by necessary muliplication based on two weeks reportage by Councils;a family friendly policy that actively penalises family carers with increased cost to the State.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Flood warnings for:
England and Wales
10:18am Sunday 10 January 2016

There are currently no severe flood warnings, 19 warnings and 165 alerts in force at this location.
19 Flood warnings - flooding is expected. Immediate action required.
► 19 Flood warnings - flooding is expected. Immediate action required.
165 Flood alerts - flooding is possible. Be prepared.
► 165 Flood alerts - flooding is possible. Be prepared.
22 Warnings no longer in force - flood warnings and flood alerts removed in the last 24 hours.
► 22 Warnings no longer in force - flood warnings and flood alerts removed in the last 24 hours.

https://flood-warning-information.servi ... k/warnings" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The sun is out in Stoke and some other regions of the UK.
The flooding emergencies aren't over for many people.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

With respect CJA ,the sun is here,I think you have an imposter.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

Squeeze dissing Cameron to his face on Marr. Changing lyrics to 'hell bent on destruction of the welfare state'.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ScreenShot01385.jpg
ScreenShot01385.jpg (65.33 KiB) Viewed 4711 times
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Robert Peston ‏@Peston 15h15 hours ago
Just in case of interest, this is what I'll be yakking about after I start at ITV on Monday https://www.facebook.com/pestonitv/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh 23s23 seconds ago
Lewes Tory MP Maria Caulfield on Govt student nurse bursary "I don't think it's been thought through". Apprntice alternatives need promoting
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:With respect CJA ,the sun is here,I think you have an imposter.
I accept that.
:rock:

rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Paul Waugh Retweeted
Heidi Alexander ‏@heidi_mp 22m22 minutes ago
Discovered today that listening to Cameron talk about regenerating London's housing estates leads to me running markedly faster in the gym.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

There was also a line about being brought up in a council house,part of what made Britain great.
Last edited by HindleA on Sun 10 Jan, 2016 11:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
The Andrew Marr Show ‏@MarrShow 8m8 minutes ago
Cameron: If GB votes to leave EU, I can remain PM. My authority depends on us having a referendum, not GB remaining in EU #marr #marrshow
Jaw dropping.
He has to say that really. Otherwise his future overshadows EU membership. He's been idiotic in allowing the referendum to become so personally about him.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

So - OGRPPFGTCC has decided to resuscitate his very silly ideas on parenting classes.

His friend (Eton, Oxford) Octavius Orlando Irvine Casati Black, founder of "Mind Gym" was given the job of training parents in 2012.
This was in response to the riots - Cameron's view was that poor parenting was the root of riotous behaviour.
Parents could go and get a voucher for £100 from Boots, then spend it on classes provided by Mr.Black and others chosen by DfE.
The scheme was taken up by just 2% of those "eligible" for it.

Frank Furedi calls the assumption that a child and a society's well-being (or otherwise) is formed only by upbringing "parental determinism".
It is a doctrine that assumes the "parental deficit" is the root cause of all society's ills. It's a doctrine Frank Field adheres to, as does Cameron.
It explains a lot of things.
It explains why the Tories subscribe to the notion that "troubled families" can be cured of their poverty, disabilities, illnesses, addictions, etc. by being taught that work will set them free even when they are incapable of it.
It explains why the Tories will squander any amount of cash on schemes and whatnot, using a high-profile self-publicist like Louise Casey to head up a project that makes a mockery of all the hard work being done by social workers.
It explains why the Tories "reform" the housing supply and the benefits system, because they want us to believe that punishment for useless parents with forced corvee and grinding poverty will make them behave better.

Obviously, it is sheer co-incidence that all these expensive and useless schemes are given to friends of government for implementation.
Obviously, if recalcitrant parents won't do the bidding of DWP and get sanctioned, you can't blame government for child poverty.
Obviously, it's all the fault of the parents.

So "parental determinism" rules - and assuming you believe that this is the only reason why children are poor and their parents useless and the riots are due to all those useless parents, the obvious thing to do is close the SureStart centres that actually made a difference.

Posh rich parents never ever have issues, do they? Tony and Cherie Blair's son was not found drunk in the street, was he? Cameron's daughter was not left to fend for herself in a pub while her parents swanned off in their taxpayer-funded motor, was she? No rich person ever had a drug-addicted child, no posh person ever beat their spouse. The Bullingdon Club are guilty only of jolly japes, not criminal damage, aren't they?

FFS.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

I wouldn't quote Frank Furedi. He's one of this lot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Fur ... _offshoots" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Parenting is an issue, and social workers and teachers are aware of it. "Determinism" sounds typical of Furedi. trying to make a sensible idea held by everyone who works in the field sound stupid.

The problem as ever is the gimmicky initiative set up by the Prime Minister, and usually involving one of his mates.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

I wonder whether Cameron's (re)announcing populist stuff because he thinks there's a chance Corbyn will sound (or more likely, be made to sound) silly when he replies to it.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Corbyn generally hasn't sounded silly on *domestic* policy, so he could be disappointed there?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Corbyn generally hasn't sounded silly on *domestic* policy, so he could be disappointed there?
Good point.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote: Me too. I'm sick of all the utter lack of compromise. Labour as a party is doing its best to persuade me that it isn't worth my support. It's not just the PLP, although they include the worst elements. I caught sight of a couple of Twitter feeds from people who used to frequent this place tonight, and I'd say 80% of it is spouting bile at 'Corbyistas'. Bloody hell, if people could hear themselves. Everyone's accusing everyone else and they're basically all doing the same thing. Apart from a few people, most of the current participants to FTN I must say, not to mention Corbyn himself, who's doing his best to conduct himself with dignity and doing the job that the majority of the party wants him to do and a small number keep stopping him from doing.
The most pleasurable reading experience I've had recently was yesterday when I read the Richard Murphy response to Jolyon Maugham's piece and then BTL.

BTL was serious, considered, polite discussion - with no personal attacks and a focus on the substance of policy and strategy. How rare is that these days.
http://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2016 ... abour-for/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's civil, but there's a lot of vague "the neoliberals" in there. What does that actually mean?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

I mean, look at these.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... age_of_GDP" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

UK has tax at 39% of GDP, a decent sized state, in my view. Off the top of my head, it could go higher, but it's not easy to shift it that much up very quickly.

I'd be surprised if the Right of the Labour Party saw getting it down as that important. In my view, that's not particularly neo-liberal.

What does Corbyn think it should be?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

I see the possibility of a June referendum is being talked about a lot.

May council elections?

Wonder if the Electoral Commission might step in and say no, too close together?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Wouldn't the same day as the local elections be good?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Wouldn't the same day as the local elections be good?
Would ensure a bigger turnout for council elections for a change. Might be too early though. Tight timetable.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

It is good, I wonder who Fiona is. I don't quite agree with the 'wrong party' conclusion though, MayP has hit the nail on the head for me.
Fiona
I do not think the problem is that the right of the labour party do not know what they are for. Rather they are in the wrong party, though they do not appear to accept that. So far as I can see, those who make their lives and livings in what is often called the “Westminster bubble” believe in TINA. And that makes them tories. They also believe that everyone in the country agrees with that analysis. The evidence of Corbyn’s success does not give them pause; they assume the invisible choir of the silent majority is with them, and that the dissenters who support Mr Corbyn or the SNP are a tiny group of “extremists”.
MayP
My reading of what the right wing of the Labour party think they are for is that they are interested in social justice but not economics. So they reckon they’ll arrive at social justice just as soon as austerity has worked. They do not seem to have any idea that, if by some miracle it did work, by then it might have destroyed much of what they hold dear and will be way too late for most of us (and them).
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:I wonder whether Cameron's (re)announcing populist stuff because he thinks there's a chance Corbyn will sound (or more likely, be made to sound) silly when he replies to it.
Corbyn doesn't sound silly - I've listened. Nope, not silly. He writes clearly without lies, too.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I didn't care who won the Labour party leadership election. They were all Labour MPs and voting Labour is currently the only way of getting rid of Tory government. I'd do something else if I thought it were good for UK people and country.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:I thought she was good, too.
It's getting beyond ludicrous when reasons for such behaviour are being stretched to because 'working class' front benchers were sacked. Two MPs were sacked - can't see what their 'class' had to do with it in any way - it was about performance and loyalty issues. Or do people want shadow cabinets to be solely based on particular representation formats? And this comes hot on the heels of criticism for 'low level misogyny' because women weren't given 'top' jobs.
Her monthly meeting could be tasty.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"The band have traditionally steered clear of politics in their lyrics.

But in 2013, Mr Tillbrook made his feelings about the Tory government clear to a local website.

"I feel the need to speak out about what’s happening in the country," Tilbrook told WhatsOn North.

"I do OK for myself. I earn good money. I’m secure in my home and my studio. I’m an independent person. If you looked at me you would think I should be a Tory — but I’m very much not. I think we, as a country, are going backwards under a Tory administration seemingly intent on pursuing little people and demonising immigrants."
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:I mean, look at these.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... age_of_GDP" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

UK has tax at 39% of GDP, a decent sized state, in my view. Off the top of my head, it could go higher, but it's not easy to shift it that much up very quickly.

I'd be surprised if the Right of the Labour Party saw getting it down as that important. In my view, that's not particularly neo-liberal.

The right of the LP seems to think that getting the deficit down is important though, which in the absence of any policies to grow GDP, and terror at the idea that taxes could rise, means cutting public spending.
We need to spend more now to support the NHS and local government but the Blairites/moderates/whatever aren't going to say that are they? Too scared of hearing the 'tax and spend' line.

Interested in social justice but not economics, as in that quote above.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:I mean, look at these.

(my bold)
I don't know, ask him, or maybe someone else can answer.
Interesting list. The collection of nations, percentages and what's tax revenue as a percentage of GDP -
what's that mean for the nation and people? What's it measuring? Why did you post it? I really want
to know, I'm not angry or anything.

UK__ 39.0
Hungary__39.1
Cyprus__39.2
Slovenia__39.3
Netherlands__39.8
Swaziland__39.8
Iceland__40.4
Germany__40.6
Bosnia and Herzegovina__41.2
Italy__42.6
Lesotho__42.9
Austria__43.4
Finland__43.6
Norway__43.6
France__44.6
Cuba__44.8
Belgium__45.4[citation needed]
Sweden__45.8
Denmark__49.0
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Which neatly demonstrates my point, which is that we're pretty neo-liberal already. The LP 'moderates' think that's about right, as Tubby says.

The fact that the tories want it to go to 36% or whatever doesn't make those liking 39% 'moderate'.
Last edited by gilsey on Sun 10 Jan, 2016 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

TobyLatimer wrote:Squeeze dissing Cameron to his face on Marr. Changing lyrics to 'hell bent on destruction of the welfare state'.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.writeonmusic.com/2013/11/an- ... f.html?m=1

Glenn Tilbrook, getting more political,
on his latest solo album:
Another song that stands out for me is “Rupert.” What made you want to write a song about Rupert Murdoch?
The inspiration was [from] watching something called the Leveson Inquiry over here where people were grilled about their ethics and what they’d done as far as hacking into people’s phones, the sort of huge damage wrought on people’s lives from doing that. When I watched Rupert Murdoch and I watched James Murdoch and I watched Rebekah Brooks give their evidence, I think it was a pretty shameful performance by all three of them. I felt compelled to write about it because all this stuff gets forgotten and then they just carry on as if nothing’s happened. I think that’s such a shame.
Last edited by tinybgoat on Sun 10 Jan, 2016 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Oh dear...