Saturday 16th & Sunday 17th January 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Saturday 16th & Sunday 17th January 2016

Post by StephenDolan »

Morning all. Crisp start to the day here.

Amusing piece on Cameron's latest wheeze. Finishing with

"All I know is this: if David Cameron wants more people to attend his new classes, he needs to distance himself from them as soon as possible. Because all Britain’s parents are really thinking right now is, “Parenting advice? From the bloke who put his genitals in a pig’s head? I think I’ll pass.”

Bridget Christie: parenting advice? From a man who left his daughter in a pub toilet?

http://gu.com/p/4fm5b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 16th & Sunday 17th January 2016

Post by citizenJA »

Morning
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Morning.

I see the Daily Mail ran a piece about imbalance on Thursday's Question Time.

Their angle was "Junior doctors hijack Question Time audience".
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Jeremy Corbyn chairing a shadow cabinet meeting this week
Today he is speaking at the Fabian Society conference

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/blo ... itics-live" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lovely photo of Corbyn sitting next to Watson and others at the table
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Morning.
The tube at a standstill: why TfL stopped people walking up the escalators
It’s British lore: on escalators, you stand on the right and walk on the left. So why did the London Underground ask grumpy commuters to stand on both sides? And could it help avert a looming congestion crisis?

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016 ... escalators" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Changing habit and culture is hard.

I'd have been terrible in this pilot. I have to get out of crowded undergrounds as soon as I can.
Working on the wild side.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Morning.
It’s British lore: on escalators, you stand on the right and walk on the left. So why did the London Underground ask grumpy commuters to stand on both sides? And could it help avert a looming congestion crisis?

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016 ... escalators" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'd have been terrible in this pilot. I have to get out of crowded undergrounds as soon as I can.
From a pure health and safety point of view, all users remaining stationary is the safer option. It's actually quite fascinating to see a move to slow something down, rather than speed it up. A less rushed culture couid have benefits. They shouldn't have let people start walking on escalators in the first place, though. Now it's been allowed I suspect turning back the clock will be nigh on impossible.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Have just finished the whole escalator article. The traffic flow logistics are interesting, and quite obvious in a way if you consider the 50mph signs on motorways at busy junctions in a vain attempt to stop cars rushing into a bottleneck. Having everyone moving (or not moving!) at the same pace is clearly more efficient. The limited use of the walking side of the escalator is something I hadn't considered, though. All those people passively queuing to stand on the right are delaying their own journey for the benefit of a few privileged walkers, who have their way inexplicably cleared at everyone elses's expense. A bit like how the British electorate just voted in an elitist government to help themselves to yet more advantages and wealth for the richest out of the pockets of the poorest. I don't get it myself. I don't mind someone walking up an empty escalator, but I don't see why people who are using it in the way it was intended should feel they should get out of their way. I fear I would be one of those obnoxious and really annoying people who would deliberately stand on the left because it's a free country and I should be able to stand where I like!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Willow904 wrote:

From a pure health and safety point of view, all users remaining stationary is the safer option. It's actually quite fascinating to see a move to slow something down, rather than speed it up. A less rushed culture couid have benefits. They shouldn't have let people start walking on escalators in the first place, though. Now it's been allowed I suspect turning back the clock will be nigh on impossible.
(my bold)

People driving motor vehicles flying past going 50 MPH in a 20 or 30 MPH zone without a soul to enforce the law has effectively turned public thoroughfares over to motorists entirely. It's bad because sometimes I have to cross the street and often not traffic signal within a quarter mile. Last time I was in a nearby city centre, I'd discovered fully pedestrianised areas turned into motor vehicles yeah, okay, whatever, cars are people too zones.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Willow904 wrote:Have just finished the whole escalator article. The traffic flow logistics are interesting, and quite obvious in a way if you consider the 50mph signs on motorways at busy junctions in a vain attempt to stop cars rushing into a bottleneck. Having everyone moving (or not moving!) at the same pace is clearly more efficient. The limited use of the walking side of the escalator is something I hadn't considered, though. All those people passively queuing to stand on the right are delaying their own journey for the benefit of a few privileged walkers, who have their way inexplicably cleared at everyone elses's expense. A bit like how the British electorate just voted in an elitist government to help themselves to yet more advantages and wealth for the richest out of the pockets of the poorest. I don't get it myself. I don't mind someone walking up an empty escalator, but I don't see why people who are using it in the way it was intended should feel they should get out of their way. I fear I would be one of those obnoxious and really annoying people who would deliberately stand on the left because it's a free country and I should be able to stand where I like!
I agree with you. Also, I love people outside their motor vehicle casing. People moving slow, fast, whatever. It's awful getting baited into arguing with people over scraps of space.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Peter Jukes ‏@peterjukes 12 hrs12 hours ago

Sometimes I wish I'd never started covering the #hacking story. The trail of corruption from Daniel Morgan to Westminster is very disturbing
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

citizenJA wrote:
Willow904 wrote:

(my bold)

People driving motor vehicles flying past going 50 MPH in a 20 or 30 MPH zone without a soul to enforce the law has effectively turned public thoroughfares over to motorists entirely. It's bad because sometimes I have to cross( the street and often not traffic signal within a quarter mile. Last time I was in a nearby city centre, I'd discovered fully pedestrianised areas turned into motor vehicles yeah, okay, whatever, cars are people too zones.
When I've been walking I've often been struck by how much more of a hurry motorists often seem to be in when it's raining, going that little bit quicker and less willing to wait when you're trying to cross the road almost as if they're the ones getting wet, not you. There should be a little place in hell reserved for motorists who floor their car through the puddle at the side of the road drenching unsuspecting pedestrians rather than take the few mere seconds necessary to slow down and drive round it.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

John Cleese ‏@JohnCleese 13 hrs13 hours ago

You may ask "How can they look themselves in the mirror every morning"

Answer : "Easily,because they are sociopaths"

I hope they'll sue..
Ouch.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

CYzUF4dU0AA5egF.jpg
CYzUF4dU0AA5egF.jpg (50.1 KiB) Viewed 5937 times
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

citizenJA wrote:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/blo ... itics-live" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
But I thought Watson hated him, at least that's what hacks tell us :)

Though the Graun coverage seems more interested in Dugher.........
Last edited by AnatolyKasparov on Sat 16 Jan, 2016 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Hoping Toby's okay and won't be in hospital too long.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Consensus ‏@LabConsensus 41 mins41 minutes ago

.@TomBaldwin66, former senior adviser to @Ed_Miliband, says Miliband was blamed both for being too left-wing and not left-wing enough
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

SHAREHOLDERS in companies that refuse to pay staff the living wage should have their dividends withheld, Jeremy Corbyn will suggest today.

ht[url]tp://www.morningstaronline.co.uk/a-4d85-Stin ... nds-Corbyn[/url]
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ohsocynical wrote:
CYzUF4dU0AA5egF.jpg
It's horrifyingly true...What have we come to.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

"Without a shred of irony, the parent and prime minister David Cameron
...doing all he possibly can to make...lives a misery, especially all the poor
children who love going to libraries, living in affordable housing and eating
breakfast – has suggested that all parents, regardless of social or economic
background, attend state-funded parenting classes.

Campaigning for this, while implementing welfare cuts that have seen a rise
in child poverty for the first time in a decade..."

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... t-christie" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Get rid of Tory government as soon as legally possible. I read the intolerable crap Tory Dave and his hapless Tory front bench get up to,
quoted saying stupendous insanity, while simultaneously reading smack about a mostly decent crew of people led by an adventurously
chosen, wholly legitimate, normal, Labour party leader. Mainstream media, I despise thee. I despise deliberate misinformation daily
stuck in front of people who don't know better. Enduring nearly six years of Tory government. Tory disaster policies. Policy offspring
of the worst government in UK history. Okay. Richard2 was sh** too. As soon as legally possible. Get rid of it.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

John Cleese ‏@JohnCleese 14 hrs14 hours ago

The whole nauseating tale of cajoling, and then lying, and then threatening, is told in all its scummy detail on the excellent Zelo Street site
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:Consensus ‏@LabConsensus 41 mins41 minutes ago

.@TomBaldwin66, former senior adviser to @Ed_Miliband, says Miliband was blamed both for being too left-wing and not left-wing enough
I've a headache I wonder why
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:Hoping Toby's okay and won't be in hospital too long.
Me too.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Indeed, best wishes to Toby 8-)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

graph1.png
graph1.png (64.26 KiB) Viewed 5900 times
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

graph.png
graph.png (107.2 KiB) Viewed 5900 times
There are a lot more of 'us', than 'them'. The math seem pretty straightforward.
Last edited by ohsocynical on Sat 16 Jan, 2016 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
citizenJA wrote:

My unsolicited advice is this: question everything, trust no single source or sources owned by a single someone.
We won't be able to use the word, 'transparently', for at least a generation, unless we're performing on stage,
thanks to Dave. I'll have to find another word.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Theresa May urged to rethink new £35,000 earnings threshold for non-EU migrants as teachers face deportation
Migrants from outside Europe who have lived in the UK for more than five years will have to prove they will be paid the new minimum threshold in order to stay in the country

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 14841.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Madness.

And from what we have learnt of the variable wages for 'junior' doctors during the Hunt stand off ... I imagine there may well be quite a few of those who won't make this threshold either.

Way to go May.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
citizenJA wrote:

Wasn't Watson next to Corbyn at PMQs? Along with Lucy Powell? Corbyn needs successors if he wants his changes to Labour party structures to stick. Has he found an ally in Watson? Two very different men, but both unhappy with the old order, both elected with a big mandate. Together they could make changes to the party permanent. And Lucy Powell is a far better choice for tv appearances than Abbott. I can't quite put my finger on it, but there seems to have been a slight shift. Maybe a sense that the next generation of MPs, whether they have any policy agreement with Corbyn or not, are realising they could well benefit more from Corbyn displacing the New Labour crowd and their established hierarchy, than if the rightwingers prevail. Wasn't Owen Smith touted as a successor to Corbyn recently? He would have a better chance of taking the reins if Corbyn lasted a few years than if he was ousted in a right wing coup in May for instance. Although Corbyn appears to remain pretty isolated, the longer he stays, the more irrelevant the old "Blairites" will become and by bringing personable MPs like Powell to the fore Corbyn is very cleverly ( or quite accidentally!) aiding that process of succession.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

@ Willow904
Is Corbyn's isolation from Labour MPs fact or mostly made up in stories?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tories face fight with Lords over onshore windfarm subsidies
Senior Labour peers confirm party will seek to strike out clause again if government closes Renewable Obligation scheme

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/ ... obligation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank the Lord(s)!
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

I'm seeing tweets and comments from people saying that Corbyn's proposal re companies not paying dividends to shareholders unless they are paying all staff the living wage is redundant because Osborne has made the 'living wage' compulsory from April....

I think we need a campaign that clearly separates out the Osborne 'National Living Wage' (except it's not national because it doesn't apply to under 25s - and it's not a living wage because it's just a slightly beefed up minimum wage) from the actual Living wage.

Perhaps we need to loudly rebrand the living wage as the Real Living Wage?

This is an Osborne trick he can't be allowed to get away with - it will be another of those myths that doesn't get busted and skews everything for a long time if it isn't.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Millets, Blacks, JD Sports - all part of Sports Direct

I'm a hiker, an urban walker and finding out Sports Direct has collared Millets and Blacks makes my head hurt some more.
The clothing I've purchased from outdoor gear stores in the past holds up well. That's a mercy.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:I'm seeing tweets and comments from people saying that Corbyn's proposal re companies not paying dividends to shareholders unless they are paying all staff the living wage is redundant because Osborne has made the 'living wage' compulsory from April....

I think we need a campaign that clearly separates out the Osborne 'National Living Wage' (except it's not national because it doesn't apply to under 25s - and it's not a living wage because it's just a slightly beefed up minimum wage) from the actual Living wage.

Perhaps we need to loudly rebrand the living wage as the Real Living Wage?

This is an Osborne trick he can't be allowed to get away with - it will be another of those myths that doesn't get busted and skews everything for a long time if it isn't.
Yes, and we need to make it clear Osborne, Dave and the rest of them are Tory government. Both of them in their current posts since 2010. I'm serious. Media lie and so do Tory supporters.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Ian Dunt ‏@IanDunt 34s35 seconds ago
What kind of country does that? What kind of country deports a teacher who's lived here for five years because they don't earn enough money?
The answer is horribly simple. A Tory country.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

citizenJA wrote:@ Willow904
I think it's mostly made up in my own head!

What I'm trying to say is that although Corbyn may find it hard to build a consensus around his specific policies, his desire to change the Labour party could attract growing support. The "Blairite" way is well established and any MP supporting a "Blairite" leader would have to fall in with it. Corbyn's legacy will be more of a blank slate, so is far more appealing to those with ideas of their own. And I suspect a party of original thinkers is just what this country needs right now.

Strangely, just as some who originally supported Corbyn have become disillusioned, I find myself becoming more hopeful and I don't really know why.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

George Osborne avoided official channels with garden bridge scheme
Exclusive: chancellor offered funding to Boris Johnson...

http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign ... nels-mayor" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"George Osborne avoided official channels and Department for Transport oversight
to offer the London mayor, Boris Johnson, funding for the garden bridge scheme,
parliament’s spending watchdog has found, warning the project may not have
been approved if the normal processes had been followed.

The National Audit Office said the public money being poured into the £175m
Thames bridge is at greater risk than the private funds, and a “high degree
of uncertainty” hangs over the scheme’s value for money."
Chancellor Jeff has pissed off the NAO. Thatcher wouldn't like you, Jeff.
It's probably the only other thing someone could do or say that could make him cry.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Willow904 wrote:

What I'm trying to say is that although Corbyn may find it hard to build a consensus around his specific policies, his desire to change the Labour party could attract growing support. The "Blairite" way is well established and any MP supporting a "Blairite" leader would have to fall in with it. Corbyn's legacy will be more of a blank slate, so is far more appealing to those with ideas of their own. And I suspect a party of original thinkers is just what this country needs right now.

Strangely, just as some who originally supported Corbyn have become disillusioned, I find myself becoming more hopeful and I don't really know why.
A wonderful post, thank you for it.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Ian Dunt ‏@IanDunt 34m34 minutes ago
That £35k immigration benchmark effectively tells people who made a life here as teachers or nurses: you failed. Now get out.

Richard Levesley
‏@Charredlevels
@IanDunt @JosieLong Disgusting. I'm a public sector worker and would need three promotions to earn 35k, but lucky enough to be born here...
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
What kind of country does that? What kind of country deports a teacher who's lived here for five years because they don't earn enough money?
A far right wing country.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Ian Dunt ‏@IanDunt 34m34 minutes ago
That £35k immigration benchmark effectively tells people who made a life here as teachers or nurses: you failed. Now get out.

Richard Levesley
‏@Charredlevels
@IanDunt @JosieLong Disgusting. I'm a public sector worker and would need three promotions to earn 35k, but lucky enough to be born here...
Christ! I hope that doesn't apply to pensioners.
We delayed getting Mr Ohso's citizenship because of the cancer. I'd better get it moving again.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

citizenJA wrote:
Willow904 wrote:

A wonderful post, thank you for it.
I read it as a purposely blank slate. He wants input from ordinary members as well as councillors and MPs.
For the people, by the people seems to be the aim. And then he expects his MPs to sit around a table and thrash out how to act on what the majority have said they'd like to see.

I reckon that's why Whatever They're Called, aren't happy.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
It's partly because of sheer incompetence* and not thinking through consequences of their actions.

Looking at edu people's tweets over the past couple of weeks, they simply don't trust the DfE to get anything right. That Chris Cook tweet where he just laughed at the ex-Gove Spad was typical from what I can see.

* Of course it could be by design - shake up the system and if shit happens, well, it will do but eventually we'll get to the right position. Questionable as to whether it will though...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

James Rose @JamesRose_X
@MichaelDugher 'all this petty infighting must stop' says man whose bio still contains petty dig at party leader

J-P. Janson De Couët ‏@ostercywriter 30 mins30 minutes ago
He's doing something which one normally associates with the Tories - projecting his own faults onto his critics. J-P. Janson De Couët added,
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

ohsocynical wrote:James Rose @JamesRose_X
@MichaelDugher 'all this petty infighting must stop' says man whose bio still contains petty dig at party leader

He's doing something which one normally associates with the Tories - projecting his own faults onto his critics. J-P. Janson De Couët added,
Wonder how he thinks writing a sniping column for The Sun helps in that respect?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:James Rose @JamesRose_X

Wonder how he thinks writing a sniping column for The Sun helps in that respect?
You do wonder at the mental make up of some of these MPs...
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Afternoon all

I just read Creasy's comment that we need Trident in order to have an influential voice at the negotiating table for the removal on nuclear weapons

I would just like to ask her when these negotiations are next taking place? Oh, they aren't....quelee surprise!

None of the nuclear states on the Security Council really want to give up nuclear weapons - which cause an amount of frustration for those other signatories of the NPT

Personally, I think a renewal of Trident goes against the spirit of the NPT so those who want to rubbish the idea of non-renewal nd act as though it is some extreme position should rethink their moral viewpoint in my view

We have no money apparently, we will never use nuclear weapons and it would raise our standing in the world as 'the' country that gave them up because it is morally wrong to possess them

Why is it that the right-wing of Labour are so committed to this complete waste of money?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

"The number of MPs supplementing their incomes by acting as landlords has risen by a quarter since the last
parliament, with David Cameron and George Osborne among those earning extra money by renting out properties.

According to Guardian research, almost a third of MPs are now letting out their houses or flats, with 196 declaring
rental income on the official register of interests this year. The majority of those are earning more than £10,000 a
year from the property, topping up their basic MP’s annual salary of £67,060.

The Conservative party has the highest number of landlord MPs at 128, meaning 39% of Tory MPs are landlords,
compared with 26% of Scottish National party MPs and 22% from Labour."

http://www.theguardian.com/housing-netw ... using-bill" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(my emphasis)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Do read the Tory MP landlord article.
What in the world were eleven million people thinking?
The Tory party will do nothing but break you.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

citizenJA wrote:
"The number of MPs supplementing their incomes by acting as landlords has risen by a quarter since the last
parliament, with David Cameron and George Osborne among those earning extra money by renting out properties.

According to Guardian research, almost a third of MPs are now letting out their houses or flats, with 196 declaring
rental income on the official register of interests this year. The majority of those are earning more than £10,000 a
year from the property, topping up their basic MP’s annual salary of £67,060.

The Conservative party has the highest number of landlord MPs at 128, meaning 39% of Tory MPs are landlords,
compared with 26% of Scottish National party MPs and 22% from Labour."

http://www.theguardian.com/housing-netw ... using-bill" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(my emphasis)
I can understand Cameron and Osborne as they've got No 10 and 11 to live in.

Wonder how many of these are landlords only because of the rule change on what they can claim as expenses?

Previously, they could claim mortgage payments back where they were out of London MPs. When the rules changed, the only option was to:

1. Continue to pay mortgage on where they were living in London
2. Rent it out
3. Rent somewhere else...and claim that back.

Think we had a discussion on this before - not sure I convinced anyone though that they had no choice.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

No, RogerOThornhill, no, I can't understand Dave and Chancellor Jeff at all. No. Are you sure they just have the one other residence? I'm not. They've portfolios, they're private sector landlords, RogerOThornhill. Their vindictive and unfair governmental policies, their lack of house building for regular people, their 'Welfare Reform', Bedroom Tax and making people with the least to pay for those who don't are an abhorrent disgrace. These two Tory people alone are making decisions in their positions of authority about how people in the UK will live and die. They can reap what they've sown.