Saturday 16th & Sunday 17th January 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 16th & Sunday 17th January 2016

Post by citizenJA »

Andy Burnham explained his situation well. His webpage is probably still up explaining his renting out one residence and living in another. Who and what Burnham is and what Osborne and Cameron are is different. To say the very least.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

citizenJA wrote:No, RogerOThornhill, no, I can't understand Dave and Chancellor Jeff at all. No. Are you sure they just have the one other residence? I'm not. They've portfolios, they're private sector landlords, RogerOThornhill. Their vindictive and unfair governmental policies, their lack of house building for regular people, their 'Welfare Reform', Bedroom Tax and making people with the least to pay for those who don't are an abhorrent disgrace. These two Tory people alone are making decisions in their positions of authority about how people in the UK will live and die. They can reap what they've sown.
All I meant was that I can understand if they rented out the houses they were previously living in, in London - I would imagine every previous PM and Chancellor has done the same. If they hadn't won last time they would have had to move back into where they were living before.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Osborne and Dave, just those two Tories alone, use the authority they've secured to enact policies materially damaging for millions of people, demand free labour from working people living in an insecure, miserable way while those two do nothing with their lives but put others in pain. Neither one has worked a day in their life.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
citizenJA wrote:No, RogerOThornhill, no, I can't understand Dave and Chancellor Jeff at all. No. Are you sure they just have the one other residence? I'm not. They've portfolios, they're private sector landlords, RogerOThornhill. Their vindictive and unfair governmental policies, their lack of house building for regular people, their 'Welfare Reform', Bedroom Tax and making people with the least to pay for those who don't are an abhorrent disgrace. These two Tory people alone are making decisions in their positions of authority about how people in the UK will live and die. They can reap what they've sown.
All I meant was that I can understand if they rented out the houses they were previously living in, in London - I would imagine every previous PM and Chancellor has done the same. If they hadn't won last time they would have had to move back into where they were living before.
You're a great friend and your writing is important to me. You've taken the time to round out the picture. When I'm cooler I'll understand your explanation better.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

howsillyofme1 wrote:Afternoon all

I just read Creasy's comment that we need Trident in order to have an influential voice at the negotiating table for the removal on nuclear weapons

I would just like to ask her when these negotiations are next taking place? Oh, they aren't....quelee surprise!

None of the nuclear states on the Security Council really want to give up nuclear weapons - which cause an amount of frustration for those other signatories of the NPT

Personally, I think a renewal of Trident goes against the spirit of the NPT so those who want to rubbish the idea of non-renewal nd act as though it is some extreme position should rethink their moral viewpoint in my view

We have no money apparently, we will never use nuclear weapons and it would raise our standing in the world as 'the' country that gave them up because it is morally wrong to possess them

Why is it that the right-wing of Labour are so committed to this complete waste of money?
If it's not already structured so, I'd find a diplomatic way to send the US the bill for keeping Trident maintained.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

James Lyons ‏@STJamesl 6h6 hours ago
Leadership runners and riders Lisa Nandy, Keir Starmer and Dan Jarvis face off at @fab16 fringe #fight

Diane Rayburn ‏@dimayray 4h4 hours ago
@STJamesl @MSmithsonPB @fab16
Link or links please.

I'm alright Jack ‏@IamalrightJack 38 mins38 minutes ago
@dimayray @STJamesl @MSmithsonPB @fab16
Well he wasn't counting on anyone asking that question obviously thinks people are stupid & gullible
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Simon Danczuk threatens legal action over Labour suspension
Exclusive: Solicitors for MP who sent sex messages to teenager demand explanation for action ‘detrimental to his reputation’

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... suspension" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
... The MP for Rochdale sent a legal letter to Iain McNicol, the party’s general secretary, on Friday which claimed he had received no explanation for his suspension or been told how long it would last.

Written by the legal firm Bindmans and seen by the Guardian, the letter says the suspension is damaging Danczuk’s career.
It warns that he could take further action unless the firm is told within three working days which rules have been broken and how a subsequent inquiry will proceed.

The solicitors also demand that the party remove Ken Livingstone from any role in the investigation, after the former London mayor commented on Danczuk’s behaviour to the media...
What a piece of work ...
Working on the wild side.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Simon Danczuk raked in nearly £50k media payments in 2015 including £5k for anti-Jeremy Corbyn articles

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/si ... ar_twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

What reputation ? For being a disgusting old goat ? For being a money grabbing **** ?

His last girlfriend claims in the Morning Star that he only started going to PLP meetings to get gossip or stuff to have ghost written for his right wing press pieces of silver.

If he tries to sue Labour, just pass the hat around. I'll fork out a few bob to pay a top notch lawyer to stick it to him.

& it says it all that he whines about his 'career'. Pppfff....he's a danger to a person's blood pressure levels.

Seriously, what did he go into politics for ?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

NHS watchdog says Virgin Care-run clinic put patients at risk
Urgent care centre at Croydon hospital criticised for using receptionists with minimal medical training

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014 ... are_btn_tw
Our local party was discussing the privatisation regarding people not knowing a centre or hospital is now privately owned.

I suggested the only way to fight it might be to sue the socks off them if the service isn't 100% in every way. The Bransons might not be so keen if there was too much hassle and expense.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Here's Claire Hamilton's utterings. Not sure anyone who had the poor taste to go out with Danczuk is that worth bothering with though.

http://morningstaronline.co.uk/a-0b89-J ... VpqNpSqLTI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Can understand what Danzcuk's old goatish reptilian brain sees in young women, but fail to see what young women see in his utterly charmless persona and general revoltingness .
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ohsocynical wrote:Simon Danczuk raked in nearly £50k media payments in 2015 including £5k for anti-Jeremy Corbyn articles

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/si ... ar_twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm guessing this money for old rope writings is the career he considers most damaged ..... i.e. unable to get his regular dosh from the Sun, Mail and any other rag that will pay him for venting.

Zelo Street seems to think it likely that Labour have leaked his solicitors letter - to give him the publicity he so craves and deserves.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

''Ms Hamilton says her relationship with the MP was also put under strain by frequent clashes over his right-wing positions, which include support for rail privatisation and fox hunting.
During one row, she told Mr Danczuk: “I don’t understand how you can be in the Labour Party.”
He allegedly replied: “Because they asked me first.”

The MP’s agent, Rochdale Councillor Allen Brett, also recently gave him a “bollocking” after receiving over 100 complaints from local party members about his conduct, according to Ms Hamilton.''
Last edited by yahyah on Sat 16 Jan, 2016 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I need more sleep.
I love you all.
Thank you for your patience with me.
love,
cJA
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

yahyah wrote:Here's Claire Hamilton's utterings. Not sure anyone who had the poor taste to go out with Danczuk is that worth bothering with though.

http://morningstaronline.co.uk/a-0b89-J ... VpqNpSqLTI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Can understand what Danzcuk's old goatish reptilian brain sees in young women, but fail to see what young women see in his utterly charmless persona and general revoltingness .
Why on earth did she go out with him?

Most interesting bit of that for me was the account of his meeting with local party members and constituents over a decision re bombing Syria ... and his subsequent actions.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

yahyah wrote:What reputation ? For being a disgusting old goat ? For being a money grabbing **** ?

His last girlfriend claims in the Morning Star that he only started going to PLP meetings to get gossip or stuff to have ghost written for his right wing press pieces of silver.

If he tries to sue Labour, just pass the hat around. I'll fork out a few bob to pay a top notch lawyer to stick it to him.

& it says it all that he whines about his 'career'. Pppfff....he's a danger to a person's blood pressure levels.

You recall that 1994 Graun piece quoted here recently, where Danczuk (then a CLP chair) is quoted during the Labour leadership contest dismissing Blair as a crypto-Tory?

Maybe he was in it for something other than money, ego and personal self-aggrandizement once. Which makes his fall all the sadder.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

And that West Wing reference is rather telling IMO.

There's almost an argument that series was the worst thing that could have happened with a certain sort of Labour person.......
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

RobertSnozers wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:
yahyah wrote:What reputation ? For being a disgusting old goat ? For being a money grabbing **** ?

You recall that 1994 Graun piece quoted here recently, where Danczuk (then a CLP chair) is quoted during the Labour leadership contest dismissing Blair as a crypto-Tory?

Maybe he was in it for something other than money, ego and personal self-aggrandizement once. Which makes his fall all the sadder.
Hamilton told the Star: “I told Simon at one point: ‘I don’t understand how you can be in the Labour Party.’

“He replied: ‘Because they asked me first’.”
Someone in the Labour party must be rueing the day.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

CY3XbHYWAAALjZI.jpg
CY3XbHYWAAALjZI.jpg (61.42 KiB) Viewed 5134 times
Jesus wept. What is the point.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

CY3POaeWcAEBo1M.jpg
CY3POaeWcAEBo1M.jpg (39.32 KiB) Viewed 5128 times
This is for Toby...Hope he can do a catch up on posts when he gets home.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

And hope HindleA is bearing up.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Maximus-owned Remploy slashes pay of disabled experts by half
http://www.disabilitynewsservice.com/ma ... s-by-half/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Doesn't TUPE apply? I don't get how pay can suddenly be cut in half for existing employees / sub contractors.
Vordy
Backbencher

Post by Vordy »

The Sun may set for final time, as major scandal threatens to knock paper to its knees .

Source:

http://www.thecanary.co/2016/01/15/sun- ... ees-video/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

It's started snowing, quite heavily.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

At £150-a-head, the Queen’s 90th birthday party is turning into a right royal PR disaster
Why would a charity want to shell out £1,500 for a table for just 10 people?

Even that is not going to be enough, says Peter Phillips, who is organising the event. Yes, that one. The Queen’s grandson is in charge. Phillips, as director of Sports & Entertainment Ltd, admits he is being paid an “undisclosed” fee for organising the do, selling tickets and rustling up money from sponsors. So people who work for Great Ormond Street Hospital, Cancer Research UK, yes, even the Dogs Trust will pay a relation of the Queen to organise a party for the Queen, who when I last looked, was one of the richest women in the world.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/at- ... 14941.html
Jesus broke into hysterical laughter at this...
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

ohsocynical wrote:
CY3XbHYWAAALjZI.jpg
Jesus wept. What is the point.
To be fair on the last, this looks like a fairly credible site:

http://www.communitycare.co.uk/blogs/ch ... g-classes/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The writer supports parenting classes for at risk families.

A lot of the problem comes with Cameron personalizing it all. The EU, voluntary work- it's all identified with him.
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

Vordy wrote:The Sun may set for final time, as major scandal threatens to knock paper to its knees .

Source:

http://www.thecanary.co/2016/01/15/sun- ... ees-video/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We should be so lucky...
The truth ferret speaks!
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ohsocynical wrote:
At £150-a-head, the Queen’s 90th birthday party is turning into a right royal PR disaster
Why would a charity want to shell out £1,500 for a table for just 10 people?

Even that is not going to be enough, says Peter Phillips, who is organising the event. Yes, that one. The Queen’s grandson is in charge. Phillips, as director of Sports & Entertainment Ltd, admits he is being paid an “undisclosed” fee for organising the do, selling tickets and rustling up money from sponsors. So people who work for Great Ormond Street Hospital, Cancer Research UK, yes, even the Dogs Trust will pay a relation of the Queen to organise a party for the Queen, who when I last looked, was one of the richest women in the world.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/at- ... 14941.html
Jesus broke into hysterical laughter at this...
It is beyond something - parody, belief, pale - maybe all of them. But any charity that spends supporters money on this will go well down in my estimation.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Willow904 wrote:
citizenJA wrote:@ Willow904
Is Corbyn's isolation from Labour MPs fact or mostly made up in stories?
I think it's mostly made up in my own head!

What I'm trying to say is that although Corbyn may find it hard to build a consensus around his specific policies, his desire to change the Labour party could attract growing support. The "Blairite" way is well established and any MP supporting a "Blairite" leader would have to fall in with it. Corbyn's legacy will be more of a blank slate, so is far more appealing to those with ideas of their own. And I suspect a party of original thinkers is just what this country needs right now.

Strangely, just as some who originally supported Corbyn have become disillusioned, I find myself becoming more hopeful and I don't really know why.
Good post.

I think he ought to have set this out at the start, with only really anti-austerity set in stone, clearly explained, in simple terms, and make the case clearly that he didn't even want to make the whole party Corbynite. Everyone expects oppositions to renew themselves anyway.

Doubtless, a few people would have arsed about anyway but there'd be more support for Corbyn from non-sectarian "moderates". It looks to me like he's determined to change Trident policy, irrespective of how many people point out it's going to be a loser.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

ohsocynical wrote:
Urgent care centre at Croydon hospital criticised for using receptionists with minimal medical training

Our local party was discussing the privatisation regarding people not knowing a centre or hospital is now privately owned.
Yeah, the NHS is very different to rail in the visibility of the privatization. Private rail companies see branding and train painting as important. I'm not sure about this at all- the public sees the private company's branding and doesn't like it at all. So much so that the train company gets blamed for stuff that's the fault of (nationalized) Network Rail.

In the NHS, they want to hide the privatization as much as possible. Perhaps a Labour Government as a first act could make the private company declare its privateness?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Politico Daily ‏@Politico_Daily 51 mins51 minutes ago

42% think David Cameron is a good PM, 40% think he's a bad PM

42% think the Tories are divided 36% think they are united #ComRes
I suppose we can take a little heart from these figures. Support for him was way higher not long ago.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:

Yeah, the NHS is very different to rail in the visibility of the privatization. Private rail companies see branding and train painting as important. I'm not sure about this at all- the public sees the private company's branding and doesn't like it at all. So much so that the train company gets blamed for stuff that's the fault of (nationalized) Network Rail.

In the NHS, they want to hide the privatization as much as possible. Perhaps a Labour Government as a first act could make the private company declare its privateness?
A while back I mentioned that our walk in minor injuries unit was privately owned to one of the receptionists at my doctors ... She said I was wrong. Swore it's NHS and it damn well isn't.
And she reads the Daily Mail. :shock:
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

His unexpected majority has caused him some problems.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tom McTague ‏@TomMcTague 1m1 minute ago
Make sure you buy tomorrow's @IndyOnSunday: Corbyn moves towards Trident free vote and opens up on personal life
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

refitman wrote:It's started snowing, quite heavily.
Not sure yet whether we'll be getting rain or snow darn sarf. The Met Office can't seem to make their minds up. It's perishing though.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Irish Election poll, Sunday Times.
FG 31% (-)
FF 20% (+1)
SF 16% (-1)
Ind 15% (+2)
Lab 6% (-2)
Green 3% (-1)
AAA-PBP 3% (-1)
Workers 2% (+1)
Renua 2% (+1)
SD 1% (-)
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Tom McTague ‏@TomMcTague 1m1 minute ago
Make sure you buy tomorrow's @IndyOnSunday: Corbyn moves towards Trident free vote and opens up on personal life
Excellent.

Fair play to him on the free vote, if that's true. Why did Maria Eagle need moving though? Was she against the free vote.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

I've already theorised on that one - it was her seeming to agree with generals meddling in politics that did for her, not Trident.

And that she appeared to accept being moved without too much fuss, maybe suggests she conceded in retrospect being seen to back dissing Jez in that way was not good?
Last edited by AnatolyKasparov on Sat 16 Jan, 2016 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Responding to Willow's earlier post about Corbyn's approach - and Tubby's later response.

I think a big part of the reason why a lot of members voted for Corbyn was that he was going to change the way the party worked - and, I hope, the culture. The long view about what was needed for any kind of sustainable future. I never thought we would have all Corbyn developed policies ... but I did know we couldn't go on the way it had been. Whilst they are from different - some might say opposite - groupings in the party Creasy seems also to understand that the wider membership has to be positively listened to and engaged in developing policies and campaigns - hence her roadshow workshops. I voted for her for that understanding of us needing to be a movement again - and also for her engagement with younger people. It would be great if people could see these common threads that bridge the gaps. We are reforming - in the true sense of that word (rather than the Tory sense).
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:I've already theorised on that one - it was her seeming to agree with generals meddling in politics that did for her, not Trident.

And that she appeared to accept being moved without too much fuss, maybe suggests she conceded in retrospect being seen to back dissing Jez in that way was not good?
Fair point about the generals thing.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Maximus-owned Remploy slashes pay of disabled experts by half
http://www.disabilitynewsservice.com/ma ... s-by-half/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Doesn't TUPE apply? I don't get how pay can suddenly be cut in half for existing employees / sub contractors.
Looks like new contract. People are probably hired only for the duration of contracts.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

George Eaton Verified account
‏@georgeeaton

Corbyn will propose in speech that companies should be barred from paying dividends unless they pay all workers the living wage
stefanstern ‏@stefanstern 13h13 hours ago

@georgeeaton Was just discussing on @bbc5live with Simon Walker of @The_IoD. He asked a good Q: who receives these dividends? Pensioners etc
Sounds a fair point.

I wonder if it would just encourage a shift towards debt rather than equity. Or to companies buying back lots of shares.

Miliband had a look at this sort of thing and it never really led anywhere.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

George Eaton ‏@georgeeaton 5h5 hours ago

.@ChukaUmunna says arguing against borrowing for investment at present is nonsense. #fab16
Fair play to him here.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Tom Pride ‏@ThomasPride 3 hrs3 hours ago

Phew @DGFoord. Changing 2nd part of the name sure to make people feel much better about having heart surgery by Virgin Trains. Sorry Care.
Quite true...Scary when you see it written like this.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
George Eaton ‏@georgeeaton 5h5 hours ago

.@ChukaUmunna says arguing against borrowing for investment at present is nonsense. #fab16
Fair play to him here.
One or two pointed Tweets a few weeks ago might have persuaded him to think about where he wants to go in the Party.

I'm all for compromise.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Admittedly, this isn't a very scientific method, but look here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgin_Care" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Founded March 2010. Picked up some big contracts since.

BUT I THOUGHT LABOUR PRIVATIZED THE NHS ALL BEFORE!

One example is extremely current-
Community services in part of Kent, previously provided by Kent Community Health NHS Foundation Trust were transferred to Virgin Care by Swale CCG and Dartford, Gravesham and Swanley CCG in January 2016 in a contract for £18 million a year for the next seven years from April 2016 with an option to extend by a further three years.
That's basically 10 years before it can be brought back into the public sector.

Off board, I tried the point over that there'd be no state left, but didn't get anywhere.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Oh dear.
The National ‏@ScotNational 9h9 hours ago

The National View: £200,000 seems a small price to save Harris Tweed http://ebx.sh/1SnJsPh" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And a front page where they quote "the Chairman" of Harris Tweed to that effect.

Unfortunately, the Chairman of Harris Tweed is Brian Wilson, former Labour MP. He is unimpressed.
Brian Wilson
‏@BrianWilson1967

.@ScotNational Irresponsibility extends to using image from Shawbost mill showing HTH staff, to support wildly inaccurate and damaging story
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

We haven't had Kirsty Wark shouting privatization figures at Tory politicians lately, have we?

Never mind, I'm sure she was spot on with whatever she fired at Burnham.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Morning.
Jeremy Corbyn interview: Labour leader on churches, cats and a nuclear-free world
‘I’m basically a very peaceable, calm person’

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 16991.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He's not going to give honours to any current politicians - or make Lords. Good on him.

He's thinking hard about Trident tactics and strategy.

This is the man the Tories (and some Labour MPs) want to paint as out for revenge .... it's risible. Love the bit about his cat.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Awful news.
Tata Steel 1000 jobs to go in Wales.jpg
Tata Steel 1000 jobs to go in Wales.jpg (47.1 KiB) Viewed 5581 times