Saturday, 13th February and Sunday, 14th February 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Saturday, 13th February and Sunday, 14th February 2016

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday, 13th February and Sunday, 14th February 2016

Post by gilsey »

Good morning.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

http://www.huntjeremy.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

Hunt Jeremy? With dogs?
The truth ferret speaks!
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Morning
http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016 ... -thinktank" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Under-35s in the UK face becoming permanent renters, warns thinktank

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/prop ... onomy.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

George Osborne's buy-to-let raid risks damaging UK economy
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Was that really necessary? What with the rain and all, I should have stayed in bed.

By the way - some denizens of the Fareham area were expecting to meet with Jeremy Hunt yesterday (over and above the aborted soirée), but I'm not sure when or under what pretext or pre-conditions. It might have been a meeting for party faithful only. Anyhow, if I get any more details, I'll keep you posted.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

From Torygraph

Millions face 'retirement crisis' over pensions tax raid
New analysis finds that two thirds of higher rate taxpayers will not have adequete savings in their retirement amid mounting concerns about plans to raid pensions

Excuse too much amusement caused by spelling mistake.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

We must stay in EU to unite against aggression, says David Cameron

Prime minister evokes threats by Russia, North Korea and Islamic State in Hamburg speech
(Guardian)
Surely that involves a touch of the old "ever closer union" stuff which I thought he wanted to have nothing to do with? It's certainly not a trade or borders issue.

Edited to add link,

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... id-cameron

thus.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

PorFavor wrote:

Prime minister evokes threats by Russia, North Korea and Islamic State in Hamburg speech
(Guardian)
Surely that involves a touch of the old "ever closer union" stuff which I thought he wanted to have nothing to do with? It's certainly not a trade or borders issue.
I thought I read somewhere - yesterday - that that bit of his 'renegotiation' has been watered down somewhat by the addition of a new phrase put in by a couple of the other countries who don't like the cut of Cam's jib on this - or was that the protection from being bullied by Eurozone countries .... not sure. It's all too much for my little head (said with irony as I'm sure that's what Cameron is banking on from most of the electorate in order to scrape through this referendum).
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Free Range Eggs.jpg
Free Range Eggs.jpg (45.65 KiB) Viewed 8270 times
We are very lucky to be able to buy ours from little roadside tables outside a couple of smallholdings we know are properly free range - and we can see the hens running around. I couldn't eat eggs otherwise.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Theo Bertram ‏@theobertram 2h2 hours ago
If you put the demise of the Indy alongside cuts to opposition funding, you can see the power to hold Govt to account in peril.

Isabel Hardman ‏@IsabelHardman 2h2 hours ago
@theobertram agree - and the PM actually thinks that the main source of scrutiny will come from the press because of Labour’s woes
They're having a discussion about the media's ability to scrutinise and challenge the government - other journalists chip in.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
PorFavor wrote:

(Guardian)
I thought I read somewhere - yesterday - that that bit of his 'renegotiation' has been watered down somewhat by the addition of a new phrase put in by a couple of the other countries who don't like the cut of Cam's jib on this - or was that the protection from being bullied by Eurozone countries .... not sure. It's all too much for my little head (said with irony as I'm sure that's what Cameron is banking on from most of the electorate in order to scrape through this referendum).
Surely he's banking on those of independent thought ignoring him completely and voting "in" for all the very good reasons that have always existed long before he came anywhere near it with his bogus negotiations. If he's banking on the easily bamboozled being impressed with him wittering on at a podium he's stuffed because none of them are seeing much past - 'if we leave the EU we can stop immigration'. I wonder how aware Tusk is that a lot of "in" inclined voters would be put off if Cameron got what he wanted and how few "out" inclined voters would be impressed enough to change their minds. Along with trying to keep other countries on board and saving Cameron's ass, whilst not alienating British Europhiles, he's got a lot on his plate, hasn't he?
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Theo Bertram ‏@theobertram 2h2 hours ago
If you put the demise of the Indy alongside cuts to opposition funding, you can see the power to hold Govt to account in peril.

Isabel Hardman ‏@IsabelHardman 2h2 hours ago
@theobertram agree - and the PM actually thinks that the main source of scrutiny will come from the press because of Labour’s woes
They're having a discussion about the media's ability to scrutinise and challenge the government - other journalists chip in.
Nobody has doubted they have the ability - its just that so many of them don't actually exercise it.

(Hardman is one who sometimes does, tbf to her)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Wildlife officer who regularly attends foxhunts should lose post, says petition
Campaigners says PC Sharon Roscoe’s role investigating ill-treatment of animals ‘untenable’ with membership of one of UK’s biggest hunting clubs

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016 ... reassigned" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This signifies a big part of what is so wrong and dysfunctional about wildlife protection / countryside matters in this country. So much goes unchallenged - and protection seems to be more of the status quo than the wildlife and their habitat. I wonder why? No I don't.

Anyway - please sign and share the petition. It may not actually resolve this situation but it might just make others think twice and not participate in such two faced behaviour.

https://www.change.org/p/chief-constabl ... e-officers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

mbc1955 wrote:
Hunt Jeremy? With dogs?

Not just dogs.

Dogs, horses, quad bikes, land rovers, humvees and tanks.

We'd need some beaters - he'd have to be flushed out from his tree.

Which might come in very handy later.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

I'm a bit worried about this stuff on foundation trusts being able to set their own pay rates.

Some people are taking the view that Hunt hadn't realised this, and has made a tactical error; but I wonder if he is perfectly well aware of this and is using it (whilst pretending not to) so that we end up with regional/local pay as Osborne wants but as yet hasn't dared to impose.

Whatever - any trust that does not currently hold foundation status will get the new contract imposed, apparently. If so, junior doctors won't want to work there; and even if they do, they can expect to be training and practising in what will be a second-tier NHS.
It'll be second-tier because trust without foundation status will not attract the brightest and best; and the doctors will be working a lot harder and longer for less pay and worse conditions - if those trusts fail, they'll be privatised.

I don't know what passes for coherent thought in the mind of Hunt - I think it's very dangerous to assume these people are as stupid as they look. The Tories are determined to dismantle the NHS - amongst other things - by fair means or foul; and they are sneaky enough to be playing games with the doctors so that, if they win in the end, the same shit can be imposed on anyone else who works for any public service.

And on that cheery note - I'm off. Daughter and nearly son coming for lunch, for birthday celebrations. Mine's the 1st and daughters' is the 28th so we're right in the middle. Have fun, all. Laters!
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Lovely, lovely, lovely little vine. Totally off topic. But if Paul Waugh can post it .... so can I.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Lovely, lovely, lovely little vine. Totally off topic. But if Paul Waugh can post it .... so can I.

Thank you! I wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of that cat.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Jeremy Hunt – TIMELINE OF SHAME
https://tompride.wordpress.com/2016/02/ ... -of-shame/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jeremy Hunt Timeline of Shame.jpg
Jeremy Hunt Timeline of Shame.jpg (111.79 KiB) Viewed 8165 times
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Mike Smithson
‏@MSmithsonPB
. @trevdick I'm sure that looking at GE2015 marginals is a promising next step for @MichaelLCrick.
I'm betting the Tories have already been rushing to check over their spending returns in election marginals since the C4 news exposing of Newark by-election expenditure.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Lovely, lovely, lovely little vine. Totally off topic. But if Paul Waugh can post it .... so can I.

That cat doesn't look amused one little bit!
A big,fat,black cat appears twice a day at the primary school gates in the street next door to mine.Like clockwork.
He waits for the lollipop Lady,then accompanies her with each crossing.
Nobody knows where he lives.Once the kids are in school,the cat leaves.
Even with my two dogs,a Goldie and a GSD,bearing down the road in full cat eating mode,the cat doesn't even raise an eyebrow.Just gives them a 'go on,make my day' look.And we cross to the other side of the road.Chastened.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Jeremy Hunt petition 195,874
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Mike Smithson
‏@MSmithsonPB
. @trevdick I'm sure that looking at GE2015 marginals is a promising next step for @MichaelLCrick.
I'm betting the Tories have already been rushing to check over their spending returns in election marginals since the C4 news exposing of Newark by-election expenditure.
And stuff from the GE still falls within the time limit as well.......
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Cameron should axe George if he doesn't stop juggling so many jobs
By PETER OBORNE FOR THE DAILY MAIL

Read more:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/artic ... -jobs.html
And:
Did the Tories' election spending break the law?

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/artic ... z403c8YPYj
Double ouch !!!
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

199,222 :clap: :clap: :clap:
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

And the other one should reach 100,000 this evening
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Coming up to 201,000 now...Goodness!!!
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Check out Owen Jones twitter feed for a very funny banter debate about cats between various proud male owners. With a great rejoinder by Jenny Jones of the Greens.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

David Cameron worried as pal Gove heads for the EU out door
James Forsyth says PM doesn’t even know whether his old friend will be with him in campaign let alone other colleagues

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/su ... -door.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
According to Allegra's hubby Cameron is worried that Gove will make the Out campaign 'intellectually respectable'. Cough.
One minister close to Gove both personally and politically, but who will back In, tells me: “It is a question of to what degree he goes out.”

Will he throw himself into the campaign or will he confine himself to a few interventions?

If Gove does go out, he will electrify the debate at Westminster — the biggest brain in Government will be campaigning for Britain to leave. But he will also remind people that it is possible to be for Cameron, but against the EU.

Ultimately, that will make it far easier to put the Tory party back together again after the referendum.
Ah ... but David Willetts had 'two brains' didn't he? But I suppose Gove might just have the biggest head in government. Can't forget those autographed bibles.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Check out Owen Jones twitter feed for a very funny banter debate about cats between various proud male owners. With a great rejoinder by Jenny Jones of the Greens.

Tom Watson's cat is gorgeous.

rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

They are little devils on the keyboard aren't they just.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Dr Johann Malawana by patient.jpg
Dr Johann Malawana by patient.jpg (63.51 KiB) Viewed 7929 times
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

'How we turned a run-down Thirties council house in Richmond into a million pound home
An imaginative loft conversion and an extension at ground level transformed this drab former council house, and doubled its value.'

http://www.homesandproperty.co.uk/luxur ... 99021.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thatcher's right to buy policy - doing just what she wanted
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

That's odd, the article I linked was in the Indie, but it is actually an Evening Standard one.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Royal Berkshire NHS Foundation Trust missed the target to get 85 per cent of patients on the urgent cancer route starting treatment within 62 days of referral for the 12th month in a row.

In December last year just 73.6 per cent of those patients began treatment, the worst December performance since at least 2009.

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/readin ... l-10886618
Mr Ohso's hospital...Worrying !!!!
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

The Guardian has established that none of the 152 foundation trust hospitals in England will be obliged to force their junior doctors to accept the deal and can instead offer them better terms.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016 ... ?CMP=fb_gu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

ohsocynical wrote:
Cameron should axe George if he doesn't stop juggling so many jobs
By PETER OBORNE FOR THE DAILY MAIL

Read more:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/artic ... -jobs.html
There. Fixed it for Mr Oborne.
The truth ferret speaks!
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Speaking for Britain? MPs broadly reflect the views of their supporters on Europe – but one side should worry a little more than the other
http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/brexitvote/2016/ ... the-other/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

One in five GP surgeries in London may close within three years
Practices in the capital are planning to shut because of shortages of family doctors, bureaucracy and workload, survey finds

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016 ... ng-to-shut" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's not just London that's having trouble recruiting and retaining GPs - it's pretty much everywhere.

And then in the comments BTL you see reports of young people with good grades being turned down for med school ... there seems to be a big miss match here.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

214,999 signatures now.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Practices in the capital are planning to shut because of shortages of family doctors, bureaucracy and workload, survey finds

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016 ... ng-to-shut" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's not just London that's having trouble recruiting and retaining GPs - it's pretty much everywhere.

And then in the comments BTL you see reports of young people with good grades being turned down for med school ... there seems to be a big miss match here.
The front page Guardian pic for that [not the ATL pic ] seems to show a young doc examining Margaret Thatcher !
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

yahyah wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

The front page Guardian pic for that [not the ATL pic ] seems to show a young doc examining Margaret Thatcher !
They deserve to be paid a fortune.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

When that happens A&Es end up taking the slack...Just like in the States.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:214,999 signatures now.
Over 218,000 now :D
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ohsocynical wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:214,999 signatures now.
Over 218,000 now :D
Slowing a bit now...
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

That's because you're looking. Watched kettle etc.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 42 mins42 minutes ago
Coming up at 7:30 ComRes online poll for IoS S Mirror. Includes favourability ratings
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Other one should reach 100,000 inhalf an hour or so.24 minutes.

Edited to make myself correct.
Last edited by HindleA on Sat 13 Feb, 2016 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 72281.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jeremy Hunt 'misrepresenting' data on weekend death rates at NHS hospitals, says research surgeon
Dr Peter Holt said his research was wrongly being used to support the Government's push to change junior doctors' contracts
A doctor who was part of a study on links between staffing and deaths in the NHS has accused the Government of “continually misrepresenting” the findings to support its push to change junior contracts.

Dr Peter Holt, a vascular surgeon at St George's University of London, said he had written to Jeremy Hunt, the Health Select Committee and shadow Health Secretary Heidi Alexander raising his objection.

In a post on the Junior Doctors contract forum Facebook group, he wrote that the research published in December “could never have shown that higher staffing on weekends reduced mortality”.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Oh Lord. Just heard Mr Ohso's eldest brother has terminal cancer...