Easter Weekend - 25th-28th March 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Re: Easter Weekend - 25th-28th March 2016

Post by SpinningHugo »

ephemerid wrote:Re. Ian Lavery.

There is a very efficient deconstruction (and demolition) of the accusations made against Lavery by James Lyons and Hopi Sen, with particluar reference to Sen's scurrilous Storify piece.

zelo-street.blogspot.co.uk/2016/03/what-has-ian-lavery-done-wrong.html

Of course, Tim Fenton is a bit of a leftie-scourgie-type. Love him.

I hope that Ian Lavery is able to prove that the inferences/allegations made against him are wrong.

And I really hope that a certain individual does not return to instruct me further on what I should think.

This is also worth reading. Notice again how many of the facts that constitute the allegations against Lavery are in fact denied.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Oh bog off Hugo.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

ephemerid wrote:Oh bog off Hugo.

Thanks.

To a lawyer and someone who can read a balance sheet, your linked defence, and that of Lavery, seem wholly unsatisfactory. The emphasis over and over again that this comes from the Evil Murdoch Press reads as an attempt to throw sand in the reader's eyes. Perhaps there are satisfactory answers, we'll see. Ask RoT (who can read a set of accounts) what he thinks.

Politics is not a sport. You don't just side with someone on your team, regardless of what they do.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

SpinningHugo wrote:
ephemerid wrote:Oh bog off Hugo.

Thanks.

To a lawyer and someone who can read a balance sheet, your linked defence, and that of Lavery, seem wholly unsatisfactory. The emphasis over and over again that this comes from the Evil Murdoch Press reads as an attempt to throw sand in the reader's eyes. Perhaps there are satisfactory answers, we'll see. Ask RoT (who can read a set of accounts) what he thinks.

Politics is not a sport. You don't just side with someone on your team, regardless of what they do.
If Lavery has done something wrong, I assume the matter will be passed to tbe police, in which case I think it better not to discuss it on a public forum.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Happy Patronising Monday.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

This is what happens when you try to hold an academy school to account... good luck parents

Reporter Tom Belger asks why no one will speak to him over Halewood Academy's controversial sixth form closure

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liv ... y-11100105
Plenty of comments below the line!
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

HindleA wrote:Happy Patronising Monday.
Bless you my son.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

HindleA wrote:Happy Patronising Monday.

:lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!:

I haven't got time to laugh, really, A.

I have to learn how to read a balance sheet. Maybe Roger, being the only person on Plant FTN who can, might teach me.

Time for my thick pills, I think. Or are they the dense ones today? AAARRRGGGHHH I'm soooo stoooooopid!
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Willow904 wrote:
If Lavery has done something wrong, I assume the matter will be passed to tbe police, in which case I think it better not to discuss it on a public forum.

To be fair, Willow, I have commented on this here as the issues I've mentioned and linked to are already in the public domain.

Ian Lavery is a stalwart defender of many of the things I care about, and - as I have said repeatedly - hope he has done nothing wrong.

Until or unless the matter is referred to the police or the courts, I don't see how commenting on what others write about it and having an opinion on that writing is wrong. It is certainly being talked about a lot elsewhere, especially on social media and on blogs.

If one of our lovely admin people thinks we should not discuss it, fair do's.
Meanwhile, I insist on expressing the view that Hopi Sen is a twerp.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

@ephemerid

I'm more surprised to learn that auditors and the certification officer are equally unable to read a spreadsheet ;). One matter related to Lavery is apparently now in legal proceedings, though, so I will take my own advice and not speculate on the matter further.

Edited to add, having read your following comment, I completely agree that there is no harm in hoping someone isn't guilty of something they have been accused of or posting links. That wasn't what concerned me.
Last edited by Willow904 on Mon 28 Mar, 2016 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Balance sheets?

Left that stuff behind a while back...got bigger battles to fight right now.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

The BBC seem to have the 1966 election film on a loop, it's back again.

Night all. Am off to the doctor again tomorrow, she's been concerned about what's causing the late onset cluster ocular migraines and is checking for temporal arteritis [inflammation of artery and blood vessels to the head and brain] as symptoms are present.
Part of me hopes it is, as that would mean it wasn't anything more sinister, but it would mean long term steroids to ward off sight loss and stroke.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

yahyah wrote:The BBC seem to have the 1966 election film on a loop, it's back again.

Night all. Am off to the doctor again tomorrow, she's been concerned about what's causing the late onset cluster ocular migraines and is checking for temporal arteritis [inflammation of artery and blood vessels to the head and brain] as symptoms are present.
Part of me hopes it is, as that would mean it wasn't anything more sinister, but it would mean long term steroids to ward off sight loss and stroke.
Oh yahyah. That's really shitty.

I hope you get some sleep tonight and all goes well tomorrow.

:hug:
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Wow.

Lauded academy chain to be stripped of its schools after critical finance report

http://www.theguardian.com/education/20 ... nce-report
An academy chain responsible for five secondary schools that was praised by David Cameron and Michael Gove is to be stripped of all its schools, according to sources close to the Department for Education (DfE).

The Perry Beeches academy trust is to have its five academies and free schools in Birmingham handed over to a new academy trust following a critical financial investigation.

A report by the Education Funding Agency (EFA), published before Easter, showed financial shortcomings at Perry Beeches, including third-party payments made to chief executive Liam Nolan on top of his £120,000 salary as executive headteacher. The EFA’s call for urgent action triggered an official notice from the DfE, which detailed “serious concerns about financial management, control and governance” at the trust.

The five Perry Beeches schools are expected be “rebrokered” by the DfE and pass to a new chain, the West Midlands academies trust, which is headed by David Kershaw, a Labour cabinet member of Coventry council.

A Whitehall source said: “This shows the academy system is working, with the EFA identifying issues and regional schools commissioners intervening and rebrokering effectively, as part of a robust system of oversight.”
That Whitehall source is amazing - this came to light only after the EFA were told about it by a whistleblower!
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Just continuing yahyah.... new MP Jack Ashley.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

HindleA wrote:Just continuing yahyah.... new MP Jack Ashley.
He would have had something to say about recent events, for sure.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Jenny Lee returned.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Balance sheets?

I was joking........ :(
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Wow.

That Whitehall source is amazing - this came to light only after the EFA were told about it by a whistleblower!

This is exactly the same sort of doublespeak crapola that this government excels at.

DWP spokesthings are bad, but this is just ridiculous.

They're all SPADs, Roger. Long gone are the days when a minister would actually explain what's going on.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://news.sky.com/story/1668062/us-fi ... er-centres" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

US Firm Could Take Over Young Offender Centres
An American company accused of managing prisons riddled with violence, corruption and drugs could soon be running two UK centres.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

HindleA wrote:Jenny Lee returned.

Didn't she do "Rockin' around the Christmas tree"?

:dance: :dance: :dance:

(Have we got an emo-thingie for tongues in cheeks?)
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

ephemerid wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:Balance sheets?

I was joking........ :(
I guessed but it was partly aimed at someone else...
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Evening all. (Knee bend x three).

Re the financially embarrassed academy chain that is now going to be 'rebrokered' (the Tories giving us a whole new lexicon). I'm staggered by the Whitehall double speak response and keep returning to the thought that this has happened at a time when academies are under relatively close scrutiny as the Tories want to push their whizzy new system onto every school (parent, teacher, governor, local authority). Imagine what it could / will be like when the interest dies down a bit and such schools and monitoring of them go into 'coast' mode - because they will.
Working on the wild side.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Sorry Jennie,I was only 4
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

rebeccariots2 wrote:Evening all. (Knee bend x three).

Re the financially embarrassed academy chain that is now going to be 'rebrokered' (the Tories giving us a whole new lexicon). I'm staggered by the Whitehall double speak response and keep returning to the thought that this has happened at a time when academies are under relatively close scrutiny as the Tories want to push their whizzy new system onto every school (parent, teacher, governor, local authority). Imagine what it could / will be like when the interest dies down a bit and such schools and monitoring of them go into 'coast' mode - because they will.
Timing of the leak is 'interesting' - I wonder whether Whitehall civil servants are as enthusiastic about the idea of full academisation as No 10 is?

If they're having trouble sorting out 5,000 academies, think what it'll be like with another 16,000. Wouldn't mind betting that external auditors of trusts get told to look rather more closely at arrangements and make sure they comply with not only charity accounts legislation but also the academies handbook.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

James Kirkup Retweeted
Tom London ‏@TomLondon6 60m60 minutes ago
Advice for those Labour MPs who are hell-bent on deposing @jeremycorbyn

Recruit hundreds of thousands of new members who agree with you
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ephemerid wrote:
HindleA wrote:Jenny Lee returned.

Didn't she do "Rockin' around the Christmas tree"?

:dance: :dance: :dance:

(Have we got an emo-thingie for tongues in cheeks?)

Might have done. Brenda Lee did it too :lol:
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

HindleA wrote:Sorry Jennie,I was only 4
So was my daughter, and my son was born May 2nd that year. I was a bit tied up around the time of that election :)
Vordy
Backbencher

Post by Vordy »

Just found this on Boy George's brother.I know he no longer practices but cannot remember this prior to 2010 election.Talking about Gideons brother of course>

George Osborne's brother 'prescribed drugs to friends'

A doctor who is the brother of shadow chancellor George Osborne prescribed anti-psychotic drugs to a friend displaying symptoms consistent with the side-effects of cocaine, a disciplinary hearing was told today.

Source:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... iends.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TTFN and a Happy Easter to All.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Lyn Brown Retweeted
Alan Gibbons ‏@mygibbo 28m28 minutes ago
Nearly 350 libraries closed in Britain over six years http://www.itv.com/news/granada/2016-03 ... six-years/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Vordy wrote:Just found this on Boy George's brother.I know he no longer practices but cannot remember this prior to 2010 election.Talking about Gideons brother of course>

George Osborne's brother 'prescribed drugs to friends'

A doctor who is the brother of shadow chancellor George Osborne prescribed anti-psychotic drugs to a friend displaying symptoms consistent with the side-effects of cocaine, a disciplinary hearing was told today.

Source:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... iends.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TTFN and a Happy Easter to All.
I think he was recently struck off.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

British pensioner who tried to swim to a cruise liner when it left port without her is rescued a third of a mile out to sea clinging on to her HANDBAG
Susan Brown saved from water off Madeiran coast in early hours of Sunday
Believed to have chased cruise liner the Marco Polo after row with husband
Pair booked flights home but she was convinced he was back on board
When ship passed the airport she decided to make chase carrying handbag
Rescued by fishermen 1,600ft out and is now in hospital with hypothermia

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z44EGyp71t" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Descendant of Maggie?
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ge ... ck_Message" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mr Webb, now policy director at pensions advisors Royal London, told the Mirror: "The stealth element in all of this is the impact on public services.

"If you are a worker, yes you will pay more National Insurance from next week but you will also get a bigger state pension.

"In schools and hospitals, they'll have to pay more in but the government hasn't given them any more to pay it with.

"It's a several billion pound bill for public services starting next week, and by and large they haven't been given money to pay it.

"They'll face a spending squeeze, there's no doubt about it."
It's gone way beyond "cutting waste, not frontline services", hasn't it? This is deliberate underfunding, the consequences of which must be assumed to be planned and desired as there is no way the government can pretend they're not aware of a shortfall of their own creation.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

They are trying to break the system, pure and simple, but have nothing to replace it with but dreadful malfunctioning corporations.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

I forgot the greedy.
Last edited by seeingclearly on Mon 28 Mar, 2016 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Hopi Sen has now responded btl to the response above ephemerid posted.

It is well worth reading for those still genuinely uncertain.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

Looks to me like Lavery should have declared his severance package, but everything else is just froth and noise. As for whether its redundancy instead of severance depends upon Lavery's contract with the NUM not on how its recorded in the return HS has posted. If its written in his contract that he gets a certain package on resignation or redundancy - which is standard - he is fine on that score.

Just as an aside the NUM despite only having a couple of thousand members nationally is incredibly rich financially as a legacy of being the most powerful union for most of the 20th century. The NUM, and the miners fed before it, have land endowments and deathbed bequests, as well as a 100 years of investment, so the incredulity over the union having so much money is nonsense.

As for India and Cuba, Im not saying that its connected, but thats about the time the TUC started it Unions for Cuba campaign as well as increasing links/support with the union movement in India. The NUM has a long history of supproting international links with other unions.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

And Im not a corbynite or even labour supporter so really have no axe to grind with the progress militants.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

LACK of social housing and sky-high rents in Bracknell are pushing more people into homelessness according to a charity.

The number of those sleeping rough on the streets of the borough is also much higher than official figures suggest with a homeless shelter taking in more than three-times as many rough sleepers than official records show in just one night.

Local government figures claim the numbers have risen from just one recorded rough sleeper in 2010 to four in 2014 and five in 2015.
However, the Pilgrim Hearts homeless shelter took in 17 homeless people in just one night in February with around 140 volunteers helping run the scheme between January and March.

http://flythenest.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=830&start=300" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Jo Stevens MP ‏@JoStevensLabour 12m12 minutes ago
Jo Stevens MP Retweeted Martin Shipton
Posted without comment...... #Cardiff Central #AssemblyElections2016

Martin ShiptonVerified account
‏@ShiptonMartin
Neil Hamilton says minorities 'slur' candidate is 'a nice chap' http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/polit ... ys-ethnic-" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

FOI on UC and holidays. Seems innocuous till you think about it, basically conditionality and sanctions still apply so what seems like an improvement actually isn't.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... y.pdf.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

seeingclearly wrote:FOI on UC and holidays. Seems innocuous till you think about it, basically conditionality and sanctions still apply so what seems like an improvement actually isn't.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... y.pdf.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

People have already been sanctioned for going on holiday.

There was a case recently of a young woman who works 30 hours a week and who claims a UC top-up.

She went on a holiday, having asked whether it affected her entitlement and being told it wouldn't, and returned to find she'd been sanctioned for 3 months because she was not available to work.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

Is this the case you mention?

http://samedifference1.com/2016/03/29/u ... r-working/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A slightly different scenario, but she is on UC, and working.

In both cases effectively you cannot take a holiday. even though there is legal provision for you to do so, because it would be impossible to meet the jobseeking requirements or to prove you had tried. In work or out of work.
Last edited by seeingclearly on Tue 29 Mar, 2016 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

There are people asking about the Severe Disablement Premuim, and why nobody is talking about it. From links posted it seems this will be lost if UC is implemented as the government says it relates to care needs and should be provided by Social services.

Does anyone have any clear info on this or know where to ask?