Friday 1st.April 2016.

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Friday 1st.April 2016.

Post by ephemerid »

Well, I think the G's "Royal Family considering dramatic Brexit intervention" is the April Fool.......
.....or maybe it's "Javid arrives in Port Talbot".

Today, the (ahem) new National Living Wage comes in.
At £7.20/hour, it is 50 pence higher than the National Minimum Wage was yesterday.
For a worker doing 35 hours a week, that's a rise of £17.50.

Also today, there is an increase in workers' National Insurance.
This will affect 6 Million people; some pay 12% of gross pay in NI now, those who pay less will now be paying that 12%.
The loss for workers affected will be about £10 a week.

There have been reports already that some companies are changing the way they pay.
Some care workers have had their mileage allowances cut.
They will not be better off with this new wage.

So if you are a person over 25 on the lowest possible wages, the most you can expect is an extra £17.50.
The chances are that you will get a lot less than that.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Re: Friday 1st.April 2016.

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.

@ephemerid

My first thought was that "Sajid Javid turns up for work" was the April Fool article!
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Steel industry: UK is ringleader against China steel clampdown

Britain has been accused of deliberately undermining efforts to protect Europe’s steel industry from a deluge of unfairly cheap steel from China. (Business Live, Guardian)
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Morning all.

Roger O'T's late night link to the Nicky Morgan 'free learning hour' for all schools which must included 20 minutes of phonics, 20 mins of .... and 20 mins of ..... has more than a whiff of Foolish about it .... but then I remembered it's Nicky Morgan so quite in keeping with her general style.
Working on the wild side.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Greater Manchester begins £6bn 'devo health' experiment

Local authority becomes first in England to take control of its health and social care budget, but there is widespread uncertainty (Guardian)
A sacrificial lamb at the altar of George Osborne's Northern "Powce", I fear.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016 ... re-budgets
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

I don't think the Port Talbot steel workers are going to be that impressed by Javid's visit.

I almost wonder what he's bothering to go for ... Cameron and co have been so reluctant to actually do anything.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Denis MacShane ‏@DenisMacShane 1m1 minute ago Davos, Switzerland
Top Tory MP tells me Boris about to switch camps
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Jon Snow ‏@jonsnowC4 3m3 minutes ago Harrow, London
Junior doctors: contracts were imposed upon them 6 weeks ago: Actual contract produced yesterday! How do you impose a non existent contract?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

I rather like the new meme that Osborne is the MP for Beijing South.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Why hasn't David Cameron been pinned down to explain why his earlier assertion that British steel making capacity is vital to defence and security (or words to that effect) has been quietly binned?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Morning all.

Roger O'T's late night link to the Nicky Morgan 'free learning hour' for all schools which must included 20 minutes of phonics, 20 mins of .... and 20 mins of ..... has more than a whiff of Foolish about it .... but then I remembered it's Nicky Morgan so quite in keeping with her general style.
(my bold)

It hurt my head - Morgan's idea of 'free learning hour'

Good-morning, everyone
My Internet connection is stupid slow - it was last night, too.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

Monaco-based firm Unaoil is at the centre of British-led investigation into corruption implicating oil companies all over the world
http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... estigation
Unaoil was at the centre of allegations published by the Huffington Post and Australia’s Fairfax Media on Wednesday. They said the business “systematically corrupted the global oil industry” by delivering millions in bribes on behalf of well-known multinationals to secure contracts.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Wonderful quote from Paul Mason on Newsnight last night (link over at Business Live, Guardian, 9.05)
We’ve seen in the last 48 hours what one man, armed with a crazy private ideology that only he seems to believe in, and boundless stores of incompetence, can do. The man, Sajid Javid, has destroyed Tata as a potentially market oriented company. It is certain to be nationalised.”
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Is Sajid Javid there yet? Or did he miss the train?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.24dash.com/news/housing/2016 ... le-my-home" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

3rd Anniversary of the Bedroom Tax
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... st-by-2020" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Top UK earners to receive as much in benefits as poorest by 2020
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Government has asked.me to advise on Port Talbot,I know it well,I often see it on a map.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016 ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ministers 'letting down mentally ill people' by not collecting data
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... nds-200000" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Average UK house price tops £200,000 for first time

However, within the figures, the price gap between the average house price in the south of England and that in the north has widened to nearly £163,000.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Britain’s manufacturing sector has suffered another tough month, according to the latest survey from data firm Markit.

Export orders contracting for a third month in a row, and firms reported that they laid off staff again.

The overall PMI, which measures activity, came in at 51. That shows marginal growth, underlining how UK factories are struggling despite talk of economic recovery. (Business Live, Guardian)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... ukpolitics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
UK accused of leading efforts to block limits to Chinese steel dumping
Britain acted as ringleader in preventing increased tarrifs on cheap imports to EU, according to European Steel Association
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Anti-tank rockets from World War Two found at bus stop (BBC News website)
That's a bloody long time to wait for a 'bus!
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Let's see how much blame is laid at the door of Cameron and Osborne by the media relative to the (increasing) evidence of the steel situation.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@frightful_oik

How's the leg?
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Scottishpanda post ATOP regarding a mock-up of Osborne and Cameron in the top pocket of Xi Jinping is a goodun. Come on social media, make it so! :)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

StephenDolan wrote:Scottishpanda post ATOP regarding a mock-up of Osborne and Cameron in the top pocket of Xi Jinping is a goodun. Come on social media, make it so! :)

At least we escaped Ed Miliband being in the pocket of the SNP. Just think how damaging that would have been.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

HindleA wrote:Government has asked.me to advise on Port Talbot,I know it well,I often see it on a map.

I'm afraid you lose out to "cuddly" Ken Clarke - he said yesterday that he often "drives past" Port Talbot.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Is that April Fool?
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PorFavor wrote:
That went with a bang ... 8-)
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

HindleA wrote:http://www.24dash.com/news/housing/2016 ... le-my-home

3rd Anniversary of the Bedroom Tax
3 years !!!! Time after time they ignore legal challenges, lie, keep their heads down, and get away with it.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

They'll get away with this Steel fiasco too. Who mentions Redcar any more?
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

ohsocynical wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
Bloody typical, you spend ages waiting for an antitank missile, then two come along at once!
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Oh dear...

Bow Group Opposes Nicky Morgan's Academies White Paper

http://www.bowgroup.org/news/bow-group- ... hite-paper
The Bow Group opposes the Secretary of State for Education, Nicky Morgan's 'Educational Excellence Everywhere' White Paper on the grounds that the forced conversion of all schools into academies contradict previous commitments made to localism through an increasing centralisation of power.

The 2010 and 2015 Conservative Party manifestos underlined a commitment to democratic, local accountability and that only inadequate schools would be turned into academies:

‘We will make politics more local, more transparent and more accountable.’
– Conservative Party Manifesto 2010, page 63

‘turn every failing and coasting secondary school into an academy and deliver free schools for parents and communities that want them.’
– Conservative Party Manifesto 2015, page 33

The White Paper proposals remove the power of elected, local representatives to influence the development of education in their communities, and bestow all powers on central government.

“Under a system of academies and multi-academy trusts we have the power not just to intervene swiftly, but to actively move schools to new management.”
–The Rt Hon. Nicky Morgan MP, 17th March 2016
:lol!:

Not looking good for it...I haven't seen anyone on favour of this apart from the PX people who have some interesting thoughts on LAs spinning off their remaining schools. Well, anyone who has a clue what they're talking about anyway...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

According to the BBC TV news, Sajid "flexi-hours" Javid isn't due in Port Talbot until this afternoon.

He's going there to say that the government is doing all it can. It's tough at the top.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

tinybgoat wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
PorFavor wrote: That's a bloody long time to wait for a 'bus!
Bloody typical, you spend ages waiting for an antitank missile, then two come along at once!
Ha!
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/125475" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Debate in the House the Local Government Pension Scheme Investment Regulations

5 million people rely on the LGPS to pay their pensions. Government wants powers over LGPS investment funds, but they could gamble away members’ money on infrastructure projects. This is not allowed in any other UK scheme, including the MPs'. The LGPS must be invested in members’ best interests.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

BBC School Report: Impact of Port Talbot steel job losses

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-35767723" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/saji ... lbot-today" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Press release
Sajid Javid meeting workers and managers at Port Talbot today
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Has the rolling up of sleeves been banned? Don't hear much about it any more.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Oh dear...

Bow Group Opposes Nicky Morgan's Academies White Paper

http://www.bowgroup.org/news/bow-group- ... hite-paper
The Bow Group opposes the Secretary of State for Education, Nicky Morgan's 'Educational Excellence Everywhere' White Paper on the grounds that the forced conversion of all schools into academies contradict previous commitments made to localism through an increasing centralisation of power.

The 2010 and 2015 Conservative Party manifestos underlined a commitment to democratic, local accountability and that only inadequate schools would be turned into academies:

‘We will make politics more local, more transparent and more accountable.’
– Conservative Party Manifesto 2010, page 63

‘turn every failing and coasting secondary school into an academy and deliver free schools for parents and communities that want them.’
– Conservative Party Manifesto 2015, page 33

The White Paper proposals remove the power of elected, local representatives to influence the development of education in their communities, and bestow all powers on central government.

“Under a system of academies and multi-academy trusts we have the power not just to intervene swiftly, but to actively move schools to new management.”
–The Rt Hon. Nicky Morgan MP, 17th March 2016
:lol!:

Not looking good for it...I haven't seen anyone on favour of this apart from the PX people who have some interesting thoughts on LAs spinning off their remaining schools. Well, anyone who has a clue what they're talking about anyway...
I responded to a 38 degrees e-mail this morning about forced academies, signing a petition and e-mailing Jacob Rees-Mogg. I referenced our local junior school as it has been rated as outstanding by Ofsted throughout the time my children have been there. I asked for the reasoning why it is necessary to disrupt schools with a structural change when they are already performing well and also where the new academy management will come from, with academies already having to hand schools back because they can't cope. Unfortunately I forgot to mention the disaster which was our only local academy in the primary sector which was in the news for all the wrong reasons and was taken off them by Morgan a few months back and given to a local secondary academy temporarily. As far as I know, no new management has yet jumped at the chance to take it on permanently, so who they think are going to run all these schools, if they ban local councils, is beyond me. Anyway, I'll let you know what Rees-Mogg has to say when I get a reply.

Edited to add, when I think of it, we do have a couple of other academy primaries locally, but they are run by the secondary school mentioned above, which is run by the headmaster and governors with support from the council. I'm not sure how councils no longer running any schools will affect that relationship and whether the LEA supported academy model will continue to be viable. Any thoughts?
Last edited by Willow904 on Fri 01 Apr, 2016 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

ohsocynical wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Is that April Fool?
Probably ;)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

PorFavor wrote:Has the rolling up of sleeves been banned? Don't hear much about it any more.
Coats off for Britain
[youtube]7Xo9v-vvHe8[/youtube]
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

2m ago 11:23

In another potential embarrassment for the UK government, Tata is reportedly considering taking a stake in the steel unit of Germany’s Thyssenkrupp.

German business paper Rheinische Post reports that talks between the two parties are at an “advanced stage”. (Business Live, Guardian)
Oh, well. At least it will give Sajid Javid something to talk about when he eventually bowls up in Port Talbot.

Edited to add -

"Your" referendum was a brilliant idea, Dave.
Last edited by PorFavor on Fri 01 Apr, 2016 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

In addition to the above about academies, are church-owned schools already 'academies' as such? Again, some are supported by LEAs, some not, but they're not strictly state schools, are they?

For instance:
The Blue School is a state maintained, fully inclusive Church of England School under the Academies Act 2010, (but where Church representatives do not form the majority of Directors or Governors).

Under the provisions of this act The Blue School is a private company limited by guarantee (Companies House Registration: 07706776). Also under the terms of this Act, The Blue School is defined as an exempt charity....

Ownership

The freehold of The Blue School's estate resides with the Official Custodian of Charities on behalf of Wells Blue School (Charity No: 310266), a foundation trust. The Wells Blue School Foundation Trust has granted a 125 year lease to The Blue School.
https://www.theblueschoolwells.co.uk/se ... 688e390042" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It strikes me that having so many schools owned by the Church of England or the Catholic Church could actually protect them from the kind of asset stripping that appears to be a danger with the privatization of council owned schools. But I see the same problem as with stand alone academies etc - will they still be able to access the same amount of support and shared back room functions (re. enrollment etc) from local councils as previously?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Willow904 wrote: It strikes me that having so many schools owned by the Church of England or the Catholic Church could actually protect them from the kind of asset stripping that appears to be a danger with the privatization of council owned schools. But I see the same problem as with stand alone academies etc - will they still be able to access the same amount of support and shared back room functions (re. enrollment etc) from local councils as previously?
Saw this yesterday from someone I follow - details some of the complications that arise from Voluntary Aided/Voluntary Controlled and academy programme.

https://hargrave.org.uk/don-t-mention-t ... .i4ralfypj" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Even Jonathan Simons admitted that there were issues around this policy that he can't yet see an answer for - which almost certainly means the DfE really haven't got a clue.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

http://www.theage.com.au/interactive/20 ... e-factory/
Corruption in oil production - one of the world's richest industries and one that touches us all through our reliance on petrol - fuels inequality, robs people of their basic needs and causes social unrest in some of the world's poorest countries. It was among the factors that prompted the Arab Spring.
Fairfax Media and today reveal how Unaoil carved up portions of the Middle East oil industry for the benefit of Western companies between 2002 and 2012.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
Willow904 wrote: It strikes me that having so many schools owned by the Church of England or the Catholic Church could actually protect them from the kind of asset stripping that appears to be a danger with the privatization of council owned schools. But I see the same problem as with stand alone academies etc - will they still be able to access the same amount of support and shared back room functions (re. enrollment etc) from local councils as previously?
Saw this yesterday from someone I follow - details some of the complications that arise from Voluntary Aided/Voluntary Controlled and academy programme.

https://hargrave.org.uk/don-t-mention-t ... .i4ralfypj" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Even Jonathan Simons admitted that there were issues around this policy that he can't yet see an answer for - which almost certainly means the DfE really haven't got a clue.
Thanks for the link. It was really helpful.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

George Osborne being interviewed on TV. He's talking about the National Living Wage and Tata. "Government doing all it can and it's a global problem". He's wearing the obligatory high-viz gear for reasons which aren't immediately apparent to me.

Edited to close quotes
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

PorFavor wrote:George Osborne being interviewed on TV. He's talking about the National Living Wage and Tata. "Government doing all it can and it's a global problem". He's wearing the obligatory high-viz gear for reasons which aren't immediately apparent to me.

Edited to close quotes
Tesla car launch more important than the steel story according to the order on the BBC news app.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

George Osborne is wearing high-viz gear. I'd suggest that Sajid Javid wears camouflage gear.

Chris Grayling refusing (BBC) to be more precise about what the "doing everything we can" thing actually comprises of. Apparently, it's some sort of secret (I paraphrase).