Saturday 2nd & Sunday 3rd April 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Saturday 2nd & Sunday 3rd April 2016

Post by HindleA »

Morning

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -flat.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tax penalty for families who have a granny flat: Homeowners could be forced to knock down self-contained annexes if they want to sell their houses

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... abled.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

75,000 families to pay price of care cap delay in just one year with 'devastating implications' for the elderly and disabled
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 2nd & Sunday 3rd April 2016

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/a ... rimination" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Retired lawyer sues Israeli airline after she was asked to move seat
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Morning all.

The pictures etc painting Cameron as Statesman like with Xi Jinping on the BBC makes me want to puke. Working together to solve the problem? Ha. Please don't let this deflection stop the damage being done to the Tories in the eyes of the public.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/james-d ... 82836.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

'Those Who Need It Most'? The Disability Benefits Discourse Has to Change
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Morning A and all.

I don't know if we've had this - http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/iain-duncan-sm ... ce-1550755" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stephen McPartland tears IDS - and his policies - to shreds. Quite right too - McPartland was one of the few Tories to vote against ESA cuts.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday Jess Phillips was due to meet with managers at Yardley Jobcentre to discuss the "ESA Challenge" poster - I wonder what happened?

Thanks to HindleA for the link to the Mirror article yesterday in which that prat Tomlinson denies all knowledge and says he's had the offending space-invaders-style poster taken down - but he lies when he says there are no targets to get people off ESA.

Maximus - and Atos before them - are/were contracted to conduct the WCA but also to get a million claimants a year off the benefit; we also know that Maximus is expected, for the £1.6 Billion they're being paid, to "save" £0.6 Billion, ie. £200 Million a year.
To do that, 37,000 claimants have to come off ESA annually - and these will mostly be people who have a long term health problem because those who are ill short term usually don't claim long enough to have a WCA at all.

It may be, strictly speaking, the case that there are no official DWP targets to get people off ESA - but there are contractual expectations to do so for Maximus; there are certainly targets for Decision Makers to deny 80% of all cases (for all benefit entitlements and sanctions) on Mandatory Reconsideration; and there are definitely targets and incentives for Work Programme providers to get WRAG claimants into work or workfare.

So why would a Jobcentre have an "ESA Challenge"? Is it likely that one JCP in Birmingham is the only one where this challenge is going on?
What does it mean? How can a JCP have a challenge for ESA claimants that doesn't involve some sort of plan or target?
I suspect that this has something to do with pressure from on high to get more WRAG claimants into workfare or training; once there, the thing is mandatory and they can be sanctioned for many and various failures. Or shuffled off to JSA now they've proved they can work.

Time and again this and the last government have denied the existence of targets in all sorts of aspects of social security; and time and again, the lies have been exposed at Select Committee hearings of through FOI requests, and this will be no different.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Chris Bryant MP ‏@RhonddaBryant 5m5 minutes ago
Am I the only person who thinks there's something decidedly fishy about the stories about Tory ministers that don't get published?
No.
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

@ephemerid

The question I kept asking myself when I read that article - 'Did they really print just the one poster for just the one job centre?'
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

This story's already been highlighted by rebeccariots and letsskip yesterday, but for anyone who missed it - Whittingdale and the dominatrix. The papers have suppressed this as a quid pro quo, namely Whittingdale's powers to impose (or not) legislation on the media. So corrupt.

https://www.byline.com/column/51/article/950" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Natalie Rowe let the cat out of the bag some time ago in her book 'Whipping up a Storm'.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

HindleA wrote:http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/james-d ... 82836.html

'Those Who Need It Most'? The Disability Benefits Discourse Has to Change

This is excellent - thanks, A.
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

Today begins World Autism Awareness week.

http://www.autism.org.uk/get-involved/w ... -week.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

Trump quote from 1998:
If I were to run, I'd run as a Republican. They're the dumbest group of voters in the country. They believe anything on Fox News. I could lie and they'd still eat it up. I bet my numbers would be terrific.
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

Wow.
Even Corbyn's critics admit he has done well in the Port Talbot steel crisis
By following his instincts, Corbyn has proved he can operate effectively within a media environment his allies believe is hostile to him. “We’ve made headlines where there was a vacuum within the Government,” one ally said. Even one of his staunchest internal Labour critics conceded: “I wouldn’t say Corbyn has been brilliant, but he has done alright. I suppose we should all be grateful for that.”
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/eve ... 64141.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

That quote from the Corbyn "critic" :D
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

nickyinnorfolk wrote:Wow.
Even Corbyn's critics admit he has done well in the Port Talbot steel crisis
By following his instincts, Corbyn has proved he can operate effectively within a media environment his allies believe is hostile to him. “We’ve made headlines where there was a vacuum within the Government,” one ally said. Even one of his staunchest internal Labour critics conceded: “I wouldn’t say Corbyn has been brilliant, but he has done alright. I suppose we should all be grateful for that.”
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/eve ... 64141.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That was rather churlish from 'staunch Corbyn critic', wasn't it? :)

Two things strike me about this. Firstly, Corbyn pressed the government over Redcar and the need for a steel strategy 6 months ago - he has taken the matter seriously all along, thus neutralizing the usual attack of jumping on bandwagons, exploiting a crisis for political gain etc which was always trotted out against Ed. The second thing which strikes me is that, when the chips were down, the media put covering the story before propping up the Tories. When Corbyn was the only thing to cover, they covered him and being covered made him look good. As 'staunch critic' says, he did alright, not by being a savvy media operator but simply by being there. Substance over style. It suggests there is hope for better media coverage for Labour. Ed's support for Leveson created a low in Labour press relations that did a lot of damage (despite the very good intentions that informed his stance) but it seems there are some anti-government stories the media can't resist, which is quite a relief to me. I hope it isn't just a temporary thing related to billionaire media owners desire for Brexit.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

There comes a point where even a generally mendaciously biased MSM can't *totally* ignore what is actually going on.

We also saw this during the last parliament with "omnishambles" (which was after Ed took his anti-hacking stance, so not sure if that one stands up totally)

Though as noted above, the BBC still seems to be doing its best to prop up Dave this morning :roll:
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Link to live coverage of Labour Campaign to Win event for those interested.

http://www.labour.org.uk/page/content/c ... n/#timings" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

ephemerid wrote:... Time and again this and the last government have denied the existence of targets in all sorts of aspects of social security; and time and again, the lies have been exposed at Select Committee hearings of through FOI requests, and this will be no different.
Too true, ephe, and the reality is, to coin a phrase, nothing is ever done about it. Whether IDS, Georgie Porgie or pig-botherer are mostly responsible, junior ministers have similarly lied to the electorate, to the House and to Select Committees and they remain in place. The only highlight I can think of is Glenda being allowed to tear a strip out of IDS plus the odd chunter in Select Committees and Chris Bryant was chastised for calling him a liar (or was that Hunt, possibly another occasion) , yet not the liar himself.

Too many lies, too many realities, I'm sick of the lot of them. In the meantime should a fixed parliament run its course there are another four years of chaos, Tory lies and redirection of resources, add to that wanton theft of public assets.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:There comes a point where even a generally mendaciously biased MSM can't *totally* ignore what is actually going on.

We also saw this during the last parliament with "omnishambles" (which was after Ed took his anti-hacking stance, so not sure if that one stands up totally)

Though as noted above, the BBC still seems to be doing its best to prop up Dave this morning :roll:
I'm not so sure, Anatoly, and suspect that Willow has a point. Not that I've checked pro EU versus anti but I fear knocking Cameron and Osborne may have some measure of success, as did Clegg in the AV referendum. Personality politics beats issues for many, or so it would seem.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Jeremy Corbyn mobbed by supporters during Bristol walkabout
Labour leader infuriated press pack by ignoring them, and instead talked to people who stopped him in the street

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... ukpolitics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's quite funny coming after the discussion above.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Nigel Farage 'frustrated' over UKIP policy-making
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35949705" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
... Leading figures in UKIP suspect he is set to rebrand the party after the EU referendum in June.
Some also believe he could try to launch a new political movement.
The UKIP leader is an admirer of the anti-establishment activist Beppe Grillo whose Five Star Movement has become a major force in Italian politics, driven in part by engaging with voters online.
Some of Mr Farage's colleagues suspect he could use voter data collected by the Leave.EU referendum campaign and funds from its backer Arron Banks to embark on a fresh political project.
Mr Banks himself has been quoted suggesting UKIP could be rebranded or disbanded.
One UKIP politician said: "That is clearly the strand of thinking at the top.
"They're not particularly interested in winning the referendum and they'd rather replicate the SNP scenario which is lose the primary objective of the party but create such a sense of grievance you win in the polls and do rather well."
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1421178 ... economy-at" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Labour Press
Tom Watson speech on the future economy at Labour’s Campaigning to Win event in Weymouth
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

utopiandreams wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:There comes a point where even a generally mendaciously biased MSM can't *totally* ignore what is actually going on.

I'm not so sure, Anatoly, and suspect that Willow has a point. Not that I've checked pro EU versus anti but I fear knocking Cameron and Osborne may have some measure of success, as did Clegg in the AV referendum. Personality politics beats issues for many, or so it would seem.
But the Tata Steel mess (which is what the press is covering, and is reflecting poorly on David Cameron) isn't an in\out issue. Indeed, the EU would appear to be our "friends" in this matter. It's David Cameron himself, plus George Osborne and Sajid Javid, who are coming across as the "baddies" and I don't think people are connecting the steel issue with the referendum "sides".
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

utopiandreams wrote:

I couldn't use that criteria to vote. On one side - Cameron, Osborne. On the other side IDS, Gove. Redwood.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

You can't even add up which side has the politicians you hate the most, and opt for the other, because they're all appalling.

On one hand I can't find much apart from human and work rights to endear me to Europe, but the thought of Cameron et el organising the country if we come out is truly horrific.

Can't rustle up enthusiasm for any of it.
If I can be bothered to get my bum off my chair on the day, I'll probably go with the majority of Labour supporters and vote to stay in.
Last edited by ohsocynical on Sat 02 Apr, 2016 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Jeremy Corbyn ignores press and is mobbed by supporters in Bristol.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... ukpolitics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

ohsocynical wrote:
utopiandreams wrote:

I couldn't use that criteria to vote. On one side - Cameron, Osborne. On the other side IDS, Gove. Redwood.
I think the growing feeling, at present, is "anti-government". Which is fine by me.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

ohsocynical wrote:You can't even add up which side has the politicians you hate the most, and opt for the other, because they're all appalling.

On one hand I can't find much apart from human and work rights to endear me to Europe, but the thought of Cameron et el organising the country if we come out is truly horrific.

If I can be bothered to get my bum off my chair on the day, I'll probably go with the majority of Labour supporters and vote to stay in.
Bums off seats, please!

(Polling cards for the locals arrived here today, incidentally.)
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

@rebeccariots2

Dunno about UKIP, rebecca, and not really interested but votes and seats on the gravy train may indeed be Farage's real rather than stated objective. I cannot understand any other motive for being an MEP, especially as he has always been obtuse in the European parliament as Andy Dufresne would say.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

PorFavor wrote:
utopiandreams wrote:

But the Tata Steel mess (which is what the press is covering, and is reflecting poorly on David Cameron) isn't an in\out issue. Indeed, the EU would appear to be our "friends" in this matter. It's David Cameron himself, plus George Osborne and Sajid Javid, who are coming across as the "baddies" and I don't think people are connecting the steel issue with the referendum "sides".
I agree it doesn't add up, PorFavor, given that they're blaming the EU for lack of tariffs on Chinese steel, but since when have you expected anything else from our... I hesitate to use the term leadership.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

ohsocynical wrote:... I couldn't use that criteria to vote. On one side - Cameron, Osborne. On the other side IDS, Gove. Redwood.
Yeah, but you're neither an undecided nor a Tory supporter, ohso.

Postscript: I'll amend my views, ohso, having read your next contribution; maybe undecided. Still I doubt you'd base your vote on personalities.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Regarding Cameron and pig semen, I have wondered why he never smelt anything untoward. Why else would the Chinese want a surfeit of pigs and piglets if not to flood the market?

Sorry folks such thoughts have been going around and around without achieving a suitably cryptic joke. You understand, of course, that I say cryptic because I'm frequently told I lack any sense of humour.

Mind you I sometimes wonder when watching a professional at work, one whose writing I generally do like but not his live performances. Did anybody catch I forget his name (Stewart Lee, it was) on t'telly last night? I've previously been moderated for criticising his live performances at the G and querying his 'low' opinion of the audience. After last night I suspect I was right. Was he merely taking the piss of them... and taking their money?

Edit: not that it matters but replaced 'getting paid for it' with 'taking their money'.
Last edited by utopiandreams on Sat 02 Apr, 2016 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

ohsocynical wrote:
utopiandreams wrote:

There's one muppet (alleged Labour supporter of 27 years - my arse) on the Graun who keeps shouting about people directly supporting Cameron and Osborne if they are pro-EU. They then get very, very uppity when you point out that they're on the side of IDS, Farage and Putin.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PorFavor wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:You can't even add up which side has the politicians you hate the most, and opt for the other, because they're all appalling.

Bums off seats, please!

(Polling cards for the locals arrived here today, incidentally.)
We haven't got local council elections in Bracknell this year. There'll only be Police Commissioner, and EU.
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

Good for her :D
Scottish Labour Leader Kezia Dugdale Praised For Coming Out In Interview That Focused On Politics
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/k ... 5?auhgds4i" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I really like Kezia. She's got an air of calmness about her, which she attributes to being in a stable and happy relationship. Remarkable really - she's certainly got an uphill struggle politically.

I saw a bit of the Scottish leadership debate (it's on iPlayer) but couldn't stand too much of La Sturge's glowering presence or what was coming out of her cakehole. However it was quite funny at the beginning of the programme when Queen Nicola finished her first rant and didn't get the rapturous applause she's used to. She looked as if as she'd been slapped in the face with a wet haddock. However, Kezia did get applauded. Unfortunately it seems the Sturgeon fan club had just been unsure at the outset if they were allowed to applaud, and after that she did get the applause she craves.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

refitman wrote: There's one muppet (alleged Labour supporter of 27 years - my arse) on the Graun who keeps shouting about people directly supporting Cameron and Osborne if they are pro-EU. They then get very, very uppity when you point out that they're on the side of IDS, Farage and Putin.
Haven't been over there for a few weeks but at a guess I'd say either...DubMaxim or CoolingTower1?
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
refitman wrote: There's one muppet (alleged Labour supporter of 27 years - my arse) on the Graun who keeps shouting about people directly supporting Cameron and Osborne if they are pro-EU. They then get very, very uppity when you point out that they're on the side of IDS, Farage and Putin.
Haven't been over there for a few weeks but at a guess I'd say either...DubMaxim or CoolingTower1?
The former.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Tata Steel: David Cameron raises concerns with Xi Jinping

David Cameron has raised his concerns about the steel crisis with Chinese President Xi Jinping, Number 10 says.

During a Washington dinner on Thursday, Mr Cameron said they needed to work together to tackle "over-capacity". (BBC News website)
And Xi Ping said, "Mmm. Pass the salt."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35948432
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Sour for the sake of being sour.jpg
Sour for the sake of being sour.jpg (46.85 KiB) Viewed 6605 times
John Rentoul ‏@JohnRentoul 2m2 minutes ago
How? By ensuring London is no longer the most successful city in the world?
What the hell is the point of that comment?
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

If you Google Rentoul's name a little biog at the side of the page says he is 'seen as a Labour-leaning journalist'.

Labour leaning my a***.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

I know others have already mentioned Jeremy Corbyn mobbed by supporters during Bristol walkabout but I've only just gotten around to it.

Corbyn visited local businesses including a supermarket, where he switched into Spanish to chat with a worker. Photograph: LNP/REX/Shutterstock

Worlds apart from our David!

Postscript; maybe I'm mistaken, since ephe has reminded me of the Lanzarote connection. Why does, "Botella de El Grifo, por favor" spring to mind?

... That is our David I'm thinking of, just to be clear.
Last edited by utopiandreams on Sat 02 Apr, 2016 4:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/why ... 65106.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like the leader of a country, that Carwyn.

OGRPPFGTCC St.Dave of Lanzarotte could observe and learn.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Have just seen a headline containing the words ''Nick Clegg accuses the Tories of shameless kowtowing'.
:lol:

Shameless kowtowing, that was his job in the Coalition, is that why he's so grumpy ?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

On-line Q and A with Corbyn/Watson at 16.45 for those interested.

http://www.labour.org.uk/page/content/c ... n/#timings" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FWIW personally couldn't argue against anything C.said in speech,have noticed very Brownite phraseology.
Last edited by HindleA on Sat 02 Apr, 2016 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

RobertSnozers wrote:... Perhaps they mean leaning on, rather than leaning toward
Shhh, Robert. Have I ever mentioned that I hang to the right?
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

David Cameron took a holiday in Lanzarote. What was he thinking? (http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... oliticians)

Chris Mullin has me laughing at this. It seems, unlike Tony, our acting Prime Minister is not a freeloader. Mind you, hardly an action man either given his propensity for pointing at fish, although I did see some mention of grouse moors too. Even then I'm left with thoughts of a popinjay.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

@rebecca riots

There was a good letter in that new local paper I mentioned.
It politely took apart Powys/Dyfed Tory crime commissioner Christopher Salmon, exposing untruths about his claims for crime reduction etc.

Also - he waived two years of policing charges to cover the Royal Welsh Show. That cost the public purse £80,000 and had been payable by them previously.
The letter writer pointed out that the Royal Welsh Show is a private & profit making enterprise.
Welsh press reports show it has made up to £500,000 profit per annum in the last few years.
They got free policing while Salmon has cut public projects.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I didn't know PCC remit has been extended to fire services.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Sour for the sake of being sour.jpg
John Rentoul ‏@JohnRentoul 2m2 minutes ago
How? By ensuring London is no longer the most successful city in the world?
What the hell is the point of that comment?
When a well known journalist with a wealth of words and sentences in his repatoire resorts to spiteful comments like that, then you can be darn sure the Tories are rattled.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

He's probably miffed because the spotlight's been shone on the Independent over the pulling of the Whittingdale sleaze story.

Whittingdale (allegedly) pays women to torture him & appear in public with him, his half-brother is a convicted abuser of young boys. What do these Tory types do their children to make them turn out the way they do ?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/education/20 ... emy-scheme" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tory backbench rebellion threat over Osborne’s academies plan