Wednesday 6th April 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Wednesday 6th April 2016

Post by StephenDolan »

Morning all.
Big big win for Sanders, exceeding the polling. Notable that it was a primary, so commentators unable to use the 'only a caucus' excuse.

NY is where it's at. Personally, I'd be very surprised if he gets close to 50/50 split there. Closer he gets, the more pressure can be applied to the Clinton team to soften policies.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Wednesday 6th April 2016

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new- ... pensioners" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

New State Pension for millions of new pensioners

What a stupid headline,on a number of levels.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Solidarity with the junior doctors.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/live ... ve-updates" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by HindleA on Wed 06 Apr, 2016 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/cam ... 69941.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cameron-just-refused-to-give-a-straight-answer-about-whether-hed-benefited-from-tax-avoidance-big

Nothing new in this but a good, uncompromising piece.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://linkis.com/www.theguardian.com/sG5k2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Brexit is necessary to protect NHS from TTIP, says David Owen
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-35970160" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Devon care home boss 'unaware of punishment rooms'
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/cam ... 69941.html

cameron-just-refused-to-give-a-straight-answer-about-whether-hed-benefited-from-tax-avoidance-big

It's very good, lovely Paul - and I was particularly taken with the point that he took only 2 questions (having implied he'd take more) leaving the hacks deeply disgruntled because they couldn't quiz him further on his finances.
OGRPPFGTCC does these stage-managed events all the time - and despite his control over what the media can ask, many news reporters (including the G) moan all the time about Corbyn and McDonnell "refusing" to talk to the press.
In fact, they do talk to the press - but on their terms. They're not buying in to the usual circus, and Corbyn in particular appears to be more concerned with the voters who pay his salary rather than the hacks who'd be more likely than not to misreport what he says.

I follow a chap called Jolyon Maugham (QC), and he has written a good piece here -
waitingfortax.com/2016/04/05/panama-where-next/#comments
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Paul Mason: the leftwing case for nuclear weapons – video
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Stephen Pollard ‏@stephenpollard 2m2 minutes ago
Have to say Stephen Kinnock sounded so much more ministerial than any interview I've heard this week with Javid.
Working on the wild side.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

ephemerid wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/cam ... 69941.html

It's very good, lovely Paul - and I was particularly taken with the point that he took only 2 questions (having implied he'd take more) leaving the hacks deeply disgruntled because they couldn't quiz him further on his finances.
OGRPPFGTCC does these stage-managed events all the time - and despite his control over what the media can ask, many news reporters (including the G) moan all the time about Corbyn and McDonnell "refusing" to talk to the press.
In fact, they do talk to the press - but on their terms. They're not buying in to the usual circus, and Corbyn in particular appears to be more concerned with the voters who pay his salary rather than the hacks who'd be more likely than not to misreport what he says.

I follow a chap called Jolyon Maugham (QC), and he has written a good piece here -
waitingfortax.com/2016/04/05/panama-where-next/#comments
I have to say, I didn't see Tom Newton Dunn tweeting about it, like he did with Corbyn earlier in the day. In fact, he seems to have gone to ground since then.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Wes Streeting making the right points regarding Panama Cameron. Good to hear.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Guardian are getting a bit twitchy - pre-moderating comments on the AS politics blog...and not the first time clearly.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Guardian are getting a bit twitchy - pre-moderating comments on the AS politics blog...and not the first time clearly.
It was pre-mod yesterday as well. Only Andrew's blog though, the doctors one is normal.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

StephenDolan wrote:Wes Streeting making the right points regarding Panama Cameron. Good to hear.
Lots of whataboutery around I see - "what about ISAs - anyone holding those is avoiding tax!!".

Er...no, they're government-promoted savings schemes. As are pension schemes. Not the same thing at all.

I see lots of the "leftards whined like girls over Ed's dad" too - yes, setting up accounts on tax havens to avoid tax is exactly the same as joining up in WWII and serving three years in the RN.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Yep. Spot on. Thought this a couple of weeks ago.

PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

No 10 says Cameron's family will not benefit from any offshore funds in future

Number 10 has issued a new statement about the prime ministers’ family finances and his late father’s offshore fund. A Downing Street spokesman said:

There are no offshore funds/trusts which the prime minister, Mrs Cameron or their children will benefit from in future. (Politics Live, Guardian)
Still rather peculiarly worded, I feel. (Or have they been disinherited overnight?)
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

After posting yesterday about how OGRPPFGTCC manages his image, I've been doing a bit of digging around.

Along with the money, the contacts have helped him enormously - he has, effectively, had his career bought for him; and in the process his image and his lifestyle have been micro-managed to the Nth degree and so has that of his immediate family.

There are no Wikipedia entries for his parents or his sisters beyond mentions in pieces about the ancestral home or family tree; his brothers' entry is a very basic one simply outlining his education and professional qualifications and not much else. That's unusual for such a high-profile QC.
Obviously, Cameron himself has massive amounts of information about himself in the public domain - but his family hasn't.
I appreciate that the reason for this could simply be that he wants to protect them, or that they themselves have no wish to be exposed to view.
But when you consider how carefully Cameron has presented himself to the public, I tend to think he is managing what we are allowed to see.

Cameron stood for Parliament in 1997 for Stafford - a seat revised in boundary changes, which was considered "safe" for the Tories. He stood on a Eurosceptic platform, claimed that Labour would increase the price of beer, and lost to Labour. He failed to be selected for another 2 seats, and eventually got Witney in 2000 when Shaun Woodward crossed the floor, and was elected in 2001.
From then on, he launched his "compassionate conservative" thing - he made announcements on downgrading Class A drugs, supported a ban on foxhunting, abstained on same-sex couples being allowed to adopt (to piss off IDS) and generally finagled his way to the upper echelons of his party, branding himself a moderniser.

Once elected as leader, the cleaning-up began. In 2005, he resigned his non-executive directorship of Urbium (TigerTiger nightclubs); in 2006, he made the "hug a hoodie" speech and was photographed with huskies; and many older Tories called him superficial, unreliable, and populist.
He resigned his lifetime membership of Whites' (his brother is still a member as was his father until his death); he stopped going to Scotland to stalk and shoot deer; he stopped riding out with the Heythrop Hunt; and he started becoming a patron of dozens of charities.

He has tidied up his interests with clinical care - I do not believe that he has never in the past nor will ever in the future benefit from his fathers' offshore funds/activities. His fathers' will apparently left an estate worth £2.74 Million, of which Cameron inherited £300,000.
That will applied only to assets held in England and Wales. Ian Cameron's net worth was estimated in 2009, a year before he died, at £10M-plus.
A house worth £2.5M in Berkshire became the sole property of Camerons' brother in 2006; his sisters got a house in London worth £1M; so it looks as if Cameron Pere was divesting himself of assets either to avoid IHT or to make himself look less wealthy for his son's political career.

Since becoming PM, Cameron has rented out his Notting Hill house - it has been estimated that he has benefited from this by £500,000.
It may well be true that he has no shares, no assets other than his homes and savings. Well, now, at least.
But we do know that his father's company was set up with deliberate intent to attract high net worth investors who would not be required to pay UK tax, and we know that the company was/is a client of Mossack Fonseca.

Downing Street has today, for the fourth time, issued a statement denying our PM's involvement in any offshore dealings and insisting that he will not benefit in the future from any such dealings.
Given how carefully this preening popinjay has manufactured his image and manipulated his past, "I do not accept that".
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

What about in the past?

What about onshore?

Rip the plaster off Cameron, this slow peeling doesn’t spare the pain.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

From October 2015:

http://deveer.org.uk/dvr/index.php/Came ... _Avoidance
The remaining bulk of the estate, including Ian Cameron's offshore shares in Smith & Williamson Blairmore Global Equity, Close International Equity Growth Fund Ltd. and others, was then wrapped up into an 80-year Trust Fund: Trust Funds are routinely used by the
Grantor (Ian Cameron) as tool to avoid the payment of inheritance tax by the Beneficiary (Mary, Alexander, Tania, David & Clare) of an estate upon the death of the asset holder. Trusts invariably provide dividends, interest or rent, i.e. an income, to its beneficiaries.
Thus, the Cameron clan are sitting on an accumulated fortune of over GB £32 million almost completely free of any form of meaningful form of taxation, except for peppercorn payments to the UK tax authorities for income taken from the Cameron Trust.
If this was correct, then where has it gone?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

According to the BBC’s Norman Smith, [George] Osborne was not particularly forthcoming when asked if he was the beneficiary of an offshore fund. He replied by saying that all his financial arrangements were declared in the register of members’ interests. When asked again about offshore funds he terminated the interview. (Politic Live, Guardian)

Edited to add

Bloody impertinence on the part of the questioner, if you ask me . . .
Last edited by PorFavor on Wed 06 Apr, 2016 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon (rather belated, I'm afraid).
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016 ... nefit-cuts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Paralympics hopeful Carly Tait: ‘My lifeline is being taken away

I’m representing a country called ‘Great’. It’s not that great [for disabled people], is it? People need to know this is happening.”
Last edited by HindleA on Wed 06 Apr, 2016 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

PorFavor wrote:
According to the BBC’s Norman Smith, [George] Osborne was not particularly forthcoming when asked if he was the beneficiary of an offshore fund. He replied by saying that all his financial arrangements were declared in the register of members’ interests. When asked again about offshore funds he terminated the interview. (Politic Live, Guardian)

Edited to add

Bloody impertinence on the part of the questioner, if you ask me . . .
If you are intending to be a future beneficiary for say a family overseas fund I'm assuming that there's no need to provide an entry in the list of members interests.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

tinybgoat wrote:From October 2015:

The remaining bulk of the estate, including Ian Cameron's offshore shares in Smith & Williamson Blairmore Global Equity, Close International Equity Growth Fund Ltd. and others, was then wrapped up into an 80-year Trust Fund: Trust Funds are routinely used by the
Grantor (Ian Cameron) as tool to avoid the payment of inheritance tax by the Beneficiary (Mary, Alexander, Tania, David & Clare) of an estate upon the death of the asset holder. Trusts invariably provide dividends, interest or rent, i.e. an income, to its beneficiaries.
Thus, the Cameron clan are sitting on an accumulated fortune of over GB £32 million almost completely free of any form of meaningful form of taxation, except for peppercorn payments to the UK tax authorities for income taken from the Cameron Trust.

Well......

In 2009, Ian Cameron (and Blairmore/Close?) moved operations from the Channel Islands and elsewhere to Ireland, where a small amount of tax is paid, apparently. Just before Dave faced a GE. Odd, that.

I suspect that there are funds hiding in Switzerland or somewhere similar. Just because - or indeed if - Dave's name isn't on the paperwork any more doesn't mean he won't benefit from it in time, or has done so in the past.

Faisal Islam asked him outright if he has ever or will ever benefit from offshore holdings and Dave did not answer the question.
Now we have Number 10 reluctantly sending out little bits and bobs as time goes on and the questions get harder......

I am a sort of normal person. If someone asks me a question and there is a simple yes/no answer, that's what I say. Yes or no.
If Cameron was absolutely sure that he has not and will not benefit from offshore holdings, then he could just say "No".
He hasn't.
He has made statements himself, and has his lackeys doing likewise, which obfuscate and complicate and give us all manner of information on what he says he hasn't got and plenty of detail on what he has got - but no answer to the original question.
As per usual.

There remain millions of bits of information to go through in these "Panama Papers". The 1% are running scared.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

HindleA wrote:http://linkis.com/www.theguardian.com/sG5k2

Brexit is necessary to protect NHS from TTIP, says David Owen
Complete myth. Both specifically re the NHS, and indeed the more general idea that Brexit would somehow "save" us from TTIP.

Sorry to see him peddling such disinformation.
Last edited by AnatolyKasparov on Wed 06 Apr, 2016 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

tinybgoat wrote:From October 2015:

The beneficiaries of the trust have been changed to exclude Cam, Sam and the children, I'd guess.
Either it can be changed again, or Cam's accepted that it's in conflict with holding public office and is happy to throw his kids on the mercy of the Astors.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

StephenDolan wrote:What about in the past?

What about onshore?

Rip the plaster off Cameron, this slow peeling doesn’t spare the pain.

I don't pretend to understand any of this,
but think the fund in Ireland,
'Smith & Williamson Blairmore Global Equity', is/was a 'UCITS'
which is an onshore EU fund.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Stephen Pollard ‏@stephenpollard 2m2 minutes ago
Have to say Stephen Kinnock sounded so much more ministerial than any interview I've heard this week with Javid.
Strange how much better Labour "moderates" sound when they are actually opposing the government, rather than whining endlessly to Tory press hacks about their leader?

Maybe it will catch on with some at least ;)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

The Icelandic PM is now saying that he hasn't resigned. He's obviously taken a leaf out of the Nigel Farage playbook. (BBC News)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Channel 4.Dispatches Monday 11th at 8pm.Ade Adepitan on PIP.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

PorFavor wrote:The Icelandic PM is now saying that he hasn't resigned. He's obviously taken a leaf out of the Nigel Farage playbook. (BBC News)
I'm sure that will work out just fine for him :roll: :D
sputnikkers
Backbencher

Post by sputnikkers »

Genuinely impressed with this Green Party Political Broadcast. Funny, engaging and 'hard'-hitting to score points in a cunningly 'softly'-delivered package. Well worth watching:

[youtube]s2dNEQiHUUo[/youtube]

Can't really fault it (even when disagreeing temperamentally) until the lady starts to speak about Green's 'policies' (or rather Philosophy?)!

[It's a shame some of this 'presentational' nous (rather than influence on policies) hasn't transferred to Labour via the recent Green entryism into the Membership!]
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Just so's you know -

Earlier I reported on the BBC’s Norman Smith saying George Osborne terminated an interview when asked about offshore funds. (See 10.47am.) The word “terminated” was mine; I think Smith just said Osborne walked off camera.

I’ve been told this account isn’t right. A source who was there says that Osborne intended to just answer two questions, that he ended up answering six, that the ones about offshore funds came last and that the interview came to a natural end. (Politics Live, Guardian)
GetYou
Minister of State

Post by GetYou »

Thanks PorFavor.

Six. That means he's three times as transparent as Cameron then, which, according to my tracing paper scale of transparency guide, means "absolutelynothingwhatsoever" if I've read it correctly.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

BBC Politics ‏@BBCPolitics 6m6 minutes ago
Any EU payouts to help repair Christmas flood damage are likely to be months because of delays in the bid process. http://bbc.in/23b99ce" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
BBC Politics ‏@BBCPolitics 6m6 minutes ago
Any EU payouts to help repair Christmas flood damage are likely to be months because of delays in the bid process. http://bbc.in/23b99ce" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Incompetent, negligent and un-caring on the part of the government. And they took so long to get round to doing it, too.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Afternoon.

Have brought along some birthday cake as it is my 60th today.

Confined to barracks unfortunately, Mr YahYah has a temperature and hacking cough - he picked it up when he took me to the doctor last week.
They ought to seat the walking wounded away from the infectious patients in the waiting room.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Press victims 'betrayed' by law delay
By David Sillito

Victims of press intrusion have accused the government of breaking its promise over regulation.

The group, which includes Kate and Gerry McCann, says a delay in bringing into law a key part of the Royal Charter agreement is a "betrayal".

The change was one of the commitments made after the Leveson Inquiry into press standards and was passed by MPs.

But three years on, it still needs to be signed off by the culture secretary, who says it is "under consideration". (BBC News website)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35971933
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Happy Birthday yahyah. Hope you get a late birthday special day or similar when Mr YahYah is back at full strength. I am enjoying your cake - and it's positively virtually delicious.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@yahyah

Happy birthday!
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

Can't do twatter but JohnClarke1960 posted this:

Contrary to whatDave IMPLIED: The luxury leather goods company that employs Samantha Cameron is based in a tax haven http://www.independent.co.uk/news/busin ... 17572.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

It's Mr Riots birthday today too. He's spending it on a day trip to Ireland to collect a young pointer dog - Sammy - who was found a few months ago in a graveyard grieving for his former owner and refusing to leave. The lady who found him eventually coaxed him out and fostered him until the Pointer Rescue Society found him a home in the UK. Depending on how Sammy gets on with our dogs he will be staying with us for a couple of weeks until his new owner is able to take him.

Mr Riots birthday request for a homemade pizza to his specific requirements has been deferred to the weekend.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

frightful_oik wrote:Can't do twatter but JohnClarke1960 posted this:

Contrary to whatDave IMPLIED: The luxury leather goods company that employs Samantha Cameron is based in a tax haven http://www.independent.co.uk/news/busin ... 17572.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How's the leg?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Happy birthdays to yahyah and RR2's husband.I started counting down after 50.

Edited added p.
Last edited by HindleA on Wed 06 Apr, 2016 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
PorFavor wrote:The Icelandic PM is now saying that he hasn't resigned. He's obviously taken a leaf out of the Nigel Farage playbook. (BBC News)
I'm sure that will work out just fine for him :roll: :D
I respected him more by resigning immediately realising the jig was up
Last edited by citizenJA on Wed 06 Apr, 2016 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Now No 10 says Cameron & family will not make any future gains from offshore tax havens.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tom Glover Retweeted
TES ‏@tes 22m22 minutes ago
WATCH what happened when Ofsted boss Sir Michael Wilshaw walked into a pub full of angry teachers http://ow.ly/10lPW3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Roger should really enjoy this. Others will too. Good to see a full and frank discussion.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Apologies for my poor manners - good-afternoon, everyone
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Happy birthday yahyah and mr riots.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:Hapy birthdays to yahyah and RR2's husband.I started counting down after 50.
Happy birthday, yahyah!
Mr Riots, happy birthday to you!

How about a nice rum raisin cheese cake?