Wednesday 24th September 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Re: Wednesday 24th September 2014

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Oh dear, the New Schools network effectively just got a rap over the knuckles for their constant trumpeting of "Free Schools get rated Outstanding twice as much as other schools".

Who by?

Why, the DfE...

Free schools: Ofsted inspection grades
It should be noted that Ofsted operates a policy of proportionate inspection, with inspection carried out where it is likely to have most impact. For example, a school judged outstanding at its last inspection is exempt from further inspection unless risk assessment indicates a serious risk of decline. Therefore, within any one year, the sample of schools inspected by Ofsted is not representative of all schools: outstanding and good schools are under-represented, whilst those requiring improvement or inadequate are over-represented. The findings cannot be interpreted as a balanced view of the quality of education nationally. In addition, the sample selected for inspection varies over time, so it is difficult to make meaningful comparisons between the inspections conducted during different periods of time.
:D
Finally, only a minority of open free schools has been inspected to date. At the time of the press statement, 36% of all open free schools had been inspected. Added to this, only free schools which opened in 2011 and 2012 have been subject to inspection so far. Caution should therefore be taken when drawing conclusions about the performance of all open free schools and when comparing free schools to other schools. However Ofsted inspection grades provide a valuable source of information, in the absence of attainment data, to begin to judge the performance of free schools.
I want Labour to commit to withdrawing the NSN's funding and telling them that they're not needed. Parasites feeding off Tory policy and pretending to be a charity.
Ooh dear, that is humiliating.

Told Squealer. Who's doing a hilarious Ed Miliband is week skit. Apparently Ed telling David he loved him is weird. And beating him in an election.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:Interesting Tweet.

Jim Pickard ‏@PickardJE 6m
Burnham leadership speculation part38: "It's a running joke in shadow cabinet how many union branch meetings he goes to" says Labour source
You can imagine the headlines in the event of a Burnham led Labour Party ''Burnham, too northern to win in the south?'' the press are long beyond pathetic.

Yep.

A comprehensive educated Tory from the North would treated like the new Messiah. And there's be no problem if he came from the South either. Classless, blah, blah, people respect that, blah, blah.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

pk1 wrote:I've no idea what comments were made nor by whom but whatever they were, I hope the air has been cleared & we can get back to being the alternative to the Graun as was the original intention of setting up this haven.

The debate yesterday just highlighted for me how Labour have a coalition of sorts within the party. Some want it to swing ever more to the left, some want it to go more to the right & if the polls are to be believed, many are happy with where they currently are. It's a broad church & it must appeal to the many not the few.

Personally I'm a middle of the road kinda gal & I know my stance must frustrate those wishing the party would head one way or the other.

@Ephe - Diabolical news about that jobcentre.
I'm not sure the bit about disabled folks being moved from the front row for the MP's is correct. Most of them were sitting a few rows back & mainly on the ends of the rows I think ?

@yahyah - I watched 'Free Speech' on BBC 3 last night & Leanne Woods was a guest. I know you have a very high opinion of her :lol:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... -episode-6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The topic was benefit rates & the discrimination of rates between age groups. A young lad asked her why she didn't do anything about it seeing as her party were in a coalition in the Welsh AM. She replied that PC weren't in power, that was Labour. What she didn't point out was that the Welsh Assembly didn't set benefit rates, Westminster do so it's down to the ConDems. Her omission of the facts was I'm sure, entirely innocent.... :roll:

@RobertSnozers - iPad Air ? Lucky you, I'd like one of those to replace my iPad 2 but it won't be happening for a good while yet !

@all - if what we hear about the SNP membership figures is true & they retain the fervent support had for the referendum & as a result, overtake the LDs, could we be in a situation where there might be a Lab/SNP coalition in 2015 ? Ha, that would scare the bejaysus out of the right !! :lol:

I foolishly had high expectations about Leanne Wood and Plaid after my disillusionment with Labour [after a lifetime voting for them] by 2010, and after having flirted with the idea of voting Lib Dem.

But have watched her since her leadership and I have been very disappointed.
I want a political leader who is a lot more intelligent than me [not as if that would be difficult :lol: ] and Wood certainly doesn't manage that.
From what I have seen of her, suspect she knew very well what she was doing.
Wood hoped to take a leaf out of Salmond's playbook, to steal Labour votes.
So far she is not managing that, and likely alienating the more small c conservative Plaid rural voters.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

JackPranker wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:Its an "alternative" look at the GE apparently - ho hum. Though it will still struggle to be worse than the Beeb's execrable coverage last time :x
Evidently they grabbed a large amount of younger voters last time.

I'm on a mental age of around 45. :? Do you think that's too old? ;)
Quick test: Do you know, without resorting to Google, who Jack Whitehall is? If no, stick with the BBC.
I quite like Jack Whitehall, bit frantic but a decent enough stand up (although I find the show with his dad a bit labored) and he is none too shabby as an actor either (although, to be fair, I largely watch Bad Education for the Michelle Gomez scenery chewing).
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Just caught WATO. Norman Smith doesn’t even attempt to disguise his bias.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

yahyah wrote:
pk1 wrote:I've no idea what comments were made nor by whom but whatever they were, I hope the air has been cleared & we can get back to being the alternative to the Graun as was the original intention of setting up this haven.

The debate yesterday just highlighted for me how Labour have a coalition of sorts within the party. Some want it to swing ever more to the left, some want it to go more to the right & if the polls are to be believed, many are happy with where they currently are. It's a broad church & it must appeal to the many not the few.

Personally I'm a middle of the road kinda gal & I know my stance must frustrate those wishing the party would head one way or the other.

I'm not sure the bit about disabled folks being moved from the front row for the MP's is correct. Most of them were sitting a few rows back & mainly on the ends of the rows I think ?

@yahyah - I watched 'Free Speech' on BBC 3 last night & Leanne Woods was a guest. I know you have a very high opinion of her :lol:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... -episode-6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The topic was benefit rates & the discrimination of rates between age groups. A young lad asked her why she didn't do anything about it seeing as her party were in a coalition in the Welsh AM. She replied that PC weren't in power, that was Labour. What she didn't point out was that the Welsh Assembly didn't set benefit rates, Westminster do so it's down to the ConDems. Her omission of the facts was I'm sure, entirely innocent.... :roll:

@RobertSnozers - iPad Air ? Lucky you, I'd like one of those to replace my iPad 2 but it won't be happening for a good while yet !

@all - if what we hear about the SNP membership figures is true & they retain the fervent support had for the referendum & as a result, overtake the LDs, could we be in a situation where there might be a Lab/SNP coalition in 2015 ? Ha, that would scare the bejaysus out of the right !! :lol:

I foolishly had high expectations about Leanne Wood and Plaid after my disillusionment with Labour [after a lifetime voting for them] by 2010, and after having flirted with the idea of voting Lib Dem.

I want a political leader who is a lot more intelligent than me [not as if that would be difficult :lol: ] and Wood certainly doesn't manage that.
So far she is not managing that, and likely alienating the more small c conservative Plaid rural voters.
Can't speak for the rural Plaid voters, certainly not the small c Plaid voters, more semi rural around here, but most Plaid members are distinctly underwhelmed by her, and yes, she does come across as being pig shit thick.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:
yahyah wrote:

Can't speak for the rural Plaid voters, certainly not the small c Plaid voters, more semi rural around here, but most Plaid members are distinctly underwhelmed by her, and yes, she does come across as being pig shit thick.
There was a good programme on S4C last night with Adam Price about the miners strike. Mostly in welsh though, which is a shame as it deserved a wider audience. It also featured my village quite prominently at the start. ;)

I would expect there were many in Plaid wondering what if whilst watching it.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Evidence, if needed, of how dense Woods is, there was talk of her challenging Bryant in The Rhondda, I suspect Bryant would relish the chance, not that it will happen.

[youtube]NcuLUyadN4M[/youtube]
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Maybe John Harris will wrap up a bit now?!

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014 ... CMP=twt_gu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Quick test: Do you know, without resorting to Google, who Jack Whitehall is? If no, stick with the BBC.

No. :? Bugger. The BBC it is then. :roll:
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Ah Jack Whitehall. Mentioning his act with his father, I know who you mean now. Nah. I've a mental age of 90 when it comes to most of today's comedians.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Here's one of the sections of Ed's speech that he forgot...Know the feeling!

Here’s the hard truth: the Tories have no plan for the future for you and your family. That’s why we need Labour’s plan for Britain’s future.

And in the four years since we lost the last election, we have learnt hard, important lessons. They start with government having to live within its means. If people feel cynical now — and they do — think how much worse it would be if we made false promises.

There won’t be money to spend after the next election. Britain will be spending £75 billion on the interest on our debt alone. That’s more than the entire budget for our schools.

So as Ed Balls announced yesterday, Labour’s plan is based on a tough new approach. Eliminating the deficit as soon as possible in the next parliament. Getting the national debt falling. And no proposals for additional borrowing.

We will get the deficit down.

The next Labour government will deal with our nation’s debts. And it is because government won’t have the money to spend, it is more important than ever that everyone does their bit so we change Britain together.

One Nation Labour has changed from New Labour — businesses have a responsibility to pay their taxes, respect their customers and treat their workers fairly.

Because together we can and on our own we can’t. Those who can work have a responsibility to do so. Because together we can and on our own we can’t.

Immigration benefits our country but those who come here have a responsibility to learn English and earn their way. And employers have a responsibility not to exploit migrant workers and undercut wages.

Because together we can and on our own we can’t. Government, business, working people acting together. Living up to their responsibilities. A new ethic. A national effort. Labour’s plan for Britain’s future.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Evidence, if needed, of how dense Woods is, there was talk of her challenging Bryant in The Rhondda, I suspect Bryant would relish the chance, not that it will happen.

Graun hacks such as Harris still talk her up as a major threat to Labour, though :roll: :lol:
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:Evidence, if needed, of how dense Woods is, there was talk of her challenging Bryant in The Rhondda, I suspect Bryant would relish the chance, not that it will happen.

Graun hacks such as Harris still talk her up as a major threat to Labour, though :roll: :lol:
Beyond ridiculous isn't it?!
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Short video on here.

91-year-old NHS campaigner's storming Labour Conference speech earns TWO standing ovations
Describing his own childhood before the welfare state, Harry Leslie Smith warned delegates of the dangers of losing the NHS

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/91 ... ur-4316044
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I'm watching Bill De Blasio (Mayor of New York) at the Labour Party Conference. I find his speech moving - delivered as it is in a fairly low-key style.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Yes, he is very good.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Harry Leslie Smith's speech about illness during the twenties reminded me of my mum.
When she was 64 she had a massive heart attack...The doctors asked her if she'd ever been diagnosed with rheumatic fever as a child because her heart showed signs of it.
She told them she was eighteen the very first time she saw a doctor.

And the neighbourhood always knew when someone was dying of TB, because straw would be spread on the path and road in front of the house to muffle the noise of passing horses and carts. I don't think the dying even got that consideration in the cities.
TB was spread by overcrowding.

She remembered being sent for the doctor because her mother was haemorrhaging. Both the local doctors after asking where she lived refused to attend, afraid they wouldn't get their fee.
As a last resort mum knocked on the door of the local untrained midwife and she saved my gran's life.

Hard to imagine that could happen today. But it could. Very easily.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

ohsocynical wrote:Harry Leslie Smith's speech about illness during the twenties reminded me of my mum.
When she was 64 she had a massive heart attack...The doctors asked her if she'd ever been diagnosed with rheumatic fever as a child because her heart showed signs of it.

And the neighbourhood always knew when someone was dying of TB, because straw would be spread on the path and road in front of the house to muffle the noise of passing horses and carts. I don't think the dying even got that consideration in the cities.

She remembered being sent for the doctor because her mother was haemorrhaging. Both the local doctors after asking where she lived refused to attend, afraid they wouldn't get their fee.
As a last resort mum knocked on the door of the local untrained midwife and she saved my gran's life.

Very easily. TB was still fairly widespread after the NHS came into being, but at least people were treated with no fear or favour; both my parents had it, my mother while pregnant with me - side benefit is I have natural immunity to it. I'd hate to go back even to those days, let alone revert to the situation when Harry was a lad.

On another issue. On Twitter I've bent The Sparrow's ear about the frustrations with the rampant trollery (with backup from Ephe and others) and he is concerned enough at the prospect of losing people that he's going to talk to the mods about what is going on. Obviously the past couple of days has been exceptionally bad, but if we can get some basic restraint in place it might become usable again. As it stands at the moment I can't be ars.... bothered with it.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:Harry Leslie Smith's speech about illness during the twenties reminded me of my mum.

Very easily. TB was still fairly widespread after the NHS came into being, but at least people were treated with no fear or favour; both my parents had it, my mother while pregnant with me - side benefit is I have natural immunity to it. I'd hate to go back even to those days, let alone revert to the situation when Harry was a lad.

On another issue. On Twitter I've bent The Sparrow's ear about the frustrations with the rampant trollery (with backup from Ephe and others) and he is concerned enough at the prospect of losing people that he's going to talk to the mods about what is going on. Obviously the past couple of days has been exceptionally bad, but if we can get some basic restraint in place it might become usable again. As it stands at the moment I can't be ars.... bothered with it.
The health stuff's all still relevant today, and should spur people into protecting the service. Let's hope enough people are switched on about this stuff.

I suspect that the moderation at the Graun is well and truly out of Andrew's hands, and in those of the advertising and accounting people. Clickbait and trollery help them - even if it makes DP nigh on unreadable.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

The trolling at the Graun is diabolical atm. On today's AS blog there were 800 comments by midday & it currently has more comments than all of yesterdays !

The mention of Tuberculosis & trolls reminds me - who was it that used to rant on about TB ? IIRC that was Labour's fault too but I'm buggered if I can remember his name !

I saw a tweet from a journo at pharmatimes.com to Julie Bailey asking for her opinion of Labours NHS pledges ! Yeah, cos she's the only one whose opinion counts isn't it..... :wall:
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Jeremy Hunt, the health secretary, has criticised Andy Burnham for not apologising for the Mid-Staffs hospital scandal in his conference speech. Hunt said:

Once again at Labour conference the most important part of a speech was forgotten - Andy Burnham failed to apologise for, or even mention, the tragic events at Mid Staffs. We will only improve the NHS if we are honest about terrible problems which happened because of a target culture Labour have never taken responsibility for.
Why in all that's holy, does Sparrow trot out this garbage from Hunt ?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

pk1 wrote:
Jeremy Hunt, the health secretary, has criticised Andy Burnham for not apologising for the Mid-Staffs hospital scandal in his conference speech. Hunt said:

Once again at Labour conference the most important part of a speech was forgotten - Andy Burnham failed to apologise for, or even mention, the tragic events at Mid Staffs. We will only improve the NHS if we are honest about terrible problems which happened because of a target culture Labour have never taken responsibility for.
I was just going to post that.

Hunt's the equivalent of a BTL troll.

Burnham wasn't even in charge when those events took place.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
JackPranker
Committee Member

Post by JackPranker »

pk1 wrote:

Can we bring back public flogging for the government's cabinet, please?

"Jeremy Hunt forgot to mention hiding behind trees during his latest fatuous tweet!"
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

RogerOThornhill wrote:
pk1 wrote:

I was just going to post that.

Hunt's the equivalent of a BTL troll.

Repeat ad nauseam, repeat.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

Link to Harry Leslie Smith video from LP conference, apologies if it's already been posted.

If anyone cares to embed it, thanks.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

Continuing to be dismayed at the troll type level of discourse about Labour and every word they utter. I don't know why, I thought that people would have started to work things out for themselves by now. I don't know why they get called sheep, they behave more like turkeys.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Labour's new PPB

I would have embedded it but I can't remember how & can't find Refitman's list of 'how to....' - could we have that made as a 'sticky' at the top of each topic ?

PS We have spammers listing new threads.
Last edited by pk1 on Wed 24 Sep, 2014 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Apparently after meeting Rouhani, Cameron was overheard saying ''a little piece of history made'' I need to find a soft padded wall to bang my head against.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Apparently after meeting Rouhani, Cameron was overheard saying ''a little piece of history made'' I need to find a soft padded wall to bang my head against.
Who is that funny looking fella that last year suggested making overtures to Rouhani, seeing as he isn't the corrupt Ahmadinejad ? Funny, geeky looking bloke with a penchant for bacon sarnies & cheese......
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:Interesting Tweet.

Jim Pickard ‏@PickardJE 6m
Burnham leadership speculation part38: "It's a running joke in shadow cabinet how many union branch meetings he goes to" says Labour source
You can imagine the headlines in the event of a Burnham led Labour Party ''Burnham, too northern to win in the south?'' the press are long beyond pathetic.

Michael Foot ''too scruffy''
Neil Kinnock ''too Welsh''
Gordon Brown ''dour one eyed Scot''
Ed Miliband ''plainly weird''
Tony Blair ''mmn, we can do something with him''

Too depressing and predictable for words.
Yep, pathetic isn't it?
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

pk1 wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:Apparently after meeting Rouhani, Cameron was overheard saying ''a little piece of history made'' I need to find a soft padded wall to bang my head against.
Who is that funny looking fella that last year suggested making overtures to Rouhani, seeing as he isn't the corrupt Ahmadinejad ? Funny, geeky looking bloke with a penchant for bacon sarnies & cheese......
Oh Christ, what's his name , you know the one, stabbed his brother in the back? Fuck, what's his bloody name?
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

A good read - though I've not strayed BTL yet (I just know what it'll be like there...):

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... separatist" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... n-MPs.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ed-Milibands-leadership-openly-questioned-by-his-own-MPs

Checked this in the Torygraph. Turns out the MPs openly questioning Ed were Simon Danczuk and another [unnamed] Labour MP.

Big deal :lol:
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Ah, apparently it was FullFact that asked UK Statistics Authority to look into the DfE claims about free school performance against other schools.

https://fullfact.org/education/free_sch ... ents-35422

Excellent work there.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... n-MPs.html

Ed-Milibands-leadership-openly-questioned-by-his-own-MPs

Checked this in the Torygraph. Turns out the MPs openly questioning Ed were Simon Danczuk and another [unnamed] Labour MP.

Big deal :lol:
His [Burnhams] own speech received two standing ovations, in contrast to a more muted reception for Mr Miliband.
Hmmm, didn't Ed get two standing ovations too then ?
Another Labour MP said: "He destroyed his family by standing against his brother. He must be staring at the future and thinking God, supposing I don't win.
Oh puh-lease !

:toss:
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Tweeted:

David Eckhoff ‏@theroyalfactor 22m
Heard from @IanLaveryMP how a company in his constituency had set up a food bank for staff, as opposed to paying them properly. Victorian

If it's true, I don't know how I'd keep my job if I worked for a company like that. I think my instinct would be to throw their 'free' food at them and walk out.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Evening all. Back at laptop and with brandy to hand. Thank you to the Mayalls* for their apologies which are very gratefully received and accepted. May we sail on in the good ship FTN with ease and good humour between us from now on.

*Almost said the sniggering members there (sorry, couldn't resist - please hear and take this in the spirit of Joyce Grenfell who I am hosting today.)
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ErnstRemarx wrote:A good read - though I've not strayed BTL yet (I just know what it'll be like there...):

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... separatist" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It is a good read. It doesn't say much for Cameron's ability to learn and develop while at Oxford though. He could obviously do with considerably more tuition on constitutional matters. What class of degree did he achieve?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 17 mins
UKIP Heywood candidate, John Bickley says he was brought up there. Funny that. He made same claim about Wythenshawe when he fought there.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

rebeccariots2 wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote:A good read - though I've not strayed BTL yet (I just know what it'll be like there...):

It is a good read. It doesn't say much for Cameron's ability to learn and develop while at Oxford though. He could obviously do with considerably more tuition on constitutional matters. What class of degree did he achieve?
Astonishingly he achieved a First. One of the things that grinds his gears though is that somebody on the bench opposite graduated ahead of him, then went to Harvard on a prestigious Kennedy Scholarship; can't remember his name though, stocky bloke, aggressive footballer, marathon runner, married to that scary woman (also a Kennedy Scholar) who scares the pants off Theresa May .....Ned something? :dance:
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Oh, and if rebeccariots2 insists she is channelling Joyce Grenfell, then it is the perfect excuse to post this......

I think of this sketch every time I hear Osborne say something (even more than usually) stupid!
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

Astonishingly he achieved a First. One of the things that grinds his gears though is that somebody on the bench opposite graduated ahead of him, then went to Harvard on a prestigious Kennedy Scholarship; can't remember his name though, stocky bloke, aggressive footballer, marathon runner, married to that scary woman (also a Kennedy Scholar) who scares the pants off Theresa May .....Ned something? :dance:
:lol: Thank you. That's most illuminating. A First you say ...? I don't believe you ... I don't believe the man can even tie his own shoelaces.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Goodnight, everyone.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

rebeccariots2 wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: It is a good read. It doesn't say much for Cameron's ability to learn and develop while at Oxford though. He could obviously do with considerably more tuition on constitutional matters. What class of degree did he achieve?
:lol: Thank you. That's most illuminating. A First you say ...? I don't believe you ... I don't believe the man can even tie his own shoelaces.
Cameron is a piss-poor example of a so called first class education.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Jeremy Hunt got a First too.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

Cameron got a first in PPE. I think I am with Boris on that; it would be impressive in a proper discipline.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Temulkar wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: It is a good read. It doesn't say much for Cameron's ability to learn and develop while at Oxford though. He could obviously do with considerably more tuition on constitutional matters. What class of degree did he achieve?
Cameron got a first in PPE. I think I am with Boris on that; it would be impressive in a proper discipline.
Which of the Philosophy Politics and Economics aren't proper then?

I knew a lot of people who did it. They were academically bright and their work looked hard enough to me.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:Oh, and if rebeccariots2 insists she is channelling Joyce Grenfell, then it is the perfect excuse to post this......

I think of this sketch every time I hear Osborne say something (even more than usually) stupid!
Yes - lovely. Let's hope he can achieve being a cauliflower, 'gently'. :D
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote: Astonishingly he achieved a First. One of the things that grinds his gears though is that somebody on the bench opposite graduated ahead of him, then went to Harvard on a prestigious Kennedy Scholarship; can't remember his name though, stocky bloke, aggressive footballer, marathon runner, married to that scary woman (also a Kennedy Scholar) who scares the pants off Theresa May .....Ned something? :dance:
Cameron is a piss-poor example of a so called first class education.
The best degrees that money can buy...

Either that or someone from the Palace had a quiet word again.