Wednesday 24th September 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Re: Wednesday 24th September 2014

Post by pk1 »

Shocking story of the treatment of an elderly disabled prisoner here:

http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... uffs-court" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
McCormack told the Guardian he hoped the case would open the floodgates to claims against G4S. “On one occasion I was having a shower chained to a female officer,” he said. “I feel G4S should be barred from running prisons and be barred from having anything to do with any contracts in this country. They have an appalling reputation.”
Me too Mr McCormack, me too.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Dear old Burgau was always the one that pointed out that Bogdanor thought that Cameron was one of the brightest students - I guess he's changed his mind now. That's Bogdanor not Burgau.

Talking of which...
I'm not emotional about the NHS. To me it is simply a government driven health service - a very big spreadsheet if you like.
:D
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

Spacedone wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: :lol: Thank you. That's most illuminating. A First you say ...? I don't believe you ... I don't believe the man can even tie his own shoelaces.
Cameron is a piss-poor example of a so called first class education.
The best degrees that money can buy...

Either that or someone from the Palace had a quiet word again.
Does make you think doesn't it?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

pk1 wrote:Shocking story of the treatment of an elderly disabled prisoner here:

http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... uffs-court" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
McCormack told the Guardian he hoped the case would open the floodgates to claims against G4S. “On one occasion I was having a shower chained to a female officer,” he said. “I feel G4S should be barred from running prisons and be barred from having anything to do with any contracts in this country. They have an appalling reputation.”
Me too Mr McCormack, me too.
I saw that earlier pk - and, like you, was horrified. £6,000 damages doesn't cut it IMO. And no comments facility - why?
Working on the wild side.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Rather partisan piece from Michael Crick, not many ''impartial'' commentators even pretend these days do they?

http://blogs.channel4.com/michael-crick ... abour/4403" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Like Ernst's and AAW's view on this?
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Temulkar wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote: Astonishingly he achieved a First. One of the things that grinds his gears though is that somebody on the bench opposite graduated ahead of him, then went to Harvard on a prestigious Kennedy Scholarship; can't remember his name though, stocky bloke, aggressive footballer, marathon runner, married to that scary woman (also a Kennedy Scholar) who scares the pants off Theresa May .....Ned something? :dance:
Cameron got a first in PPE. I think I am with Boris on that; it would be impressive in a proper discipline.
Which of the Philosophy Politics and Economics aren't proper then?

I knew a lot of people who did it. They were academically bright and their work looked hard enough to me.
I think all are very important separate disciplines. Doing all three together leaves you without in depth knowledge of any of them, and only a superficial understanding of each.

It's like the difference between general science and separate sciences. It's no surprise that those with the least aptitude tend to do general science (myself included).
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

Several commentators on Twitter pointing out that Cameron has recalled Parliament on the first day of UKIPs conference and media coverage of the recall will dominate Day 2.

Frightfully lucky timing that.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Temulkar wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Temulkar wrote: Cameron got a first in PPE. I think I am with Boris on that; it would be impressive in a proper discipline.
Which of the Philosophy Politics and Economics aren't proper then?

I knew a lot of people who did it. They were academically bright and their work looked hard enough to me.
I think all are very important separate disciplines. Doing all three together leaves you without in depth knowledge of any of them, and only a superficial understanding of each.

It's like the difference between general science and separate sciences. It's no surprise that those with the least aptitude tend to do general science (myself included).
It's like any joint honours though. I did one of those. French and Classics (literature)- never thought that I had superficial understanding compared with those who read a lot more, by doing Literature and Ancient History (and no French). Thought there was a different world to understand for me with the French.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Spacedone wrote:Several commentators on Twitter pointing out that Cameron has recalled Parliament on the first day of UKIPs conference and media coverage of the recall will dominate Day 2.

Waiting for some **** to write that Cameron has ''shot Farage's UKIP fox.''
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Rather partisan piece from Michael Crick, not many ''impartial'' commentators even pretend these days do they?

http://blogs.channel4.com/michael-crick ... abour/4403" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ernst & AAW can add local info but on the point of the liklihood of a Ukip win, the bookies don't see that.

Ladbrokes has Labour at 2/9 ON whilst Ukip are 3/1 so Labour remain huge favourites to win. Bookies don't like stumping up any more cash than they absolutely have to so if they felt a Ukip win was in sight, the odds would tighten to a level much shorter than 3/1.

http://sports.ladbrokes.com/en-gb/Politics-c110000037" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

letsskiptotheleft wrote:
Spacedone wrote:Several commentators on Twitter pointing out that Cameron has recalled Parliament on the first day of UKIPs conference and media coverage of the recall will dominate Day 2.

The Tories' own conference starts this Sunday - if it wasn't this week it would have to wait until late next week.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:

Well he sort of has, hasn't he? But the problem is - yet again - that it's transparent.

That's a very restrained floral new avatar you've got yourself BTW. What brought that on?
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

rebeccariots2 wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:

Well he sort of has, hasn't he? But the problem is - yet again - that it's transparent.

That's a very restrained floral new avatar you've got yourself BTW. What brought that on?
Old album cover, and it matches my flowery dress. :D
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

pk1 wrote:Labour's new PPB

[youtube]m1QjvijwDbg[/youtube]

I would have embedded it but I can't remember how & can't find Refitman's list of 'how to....' - could we have that made as a 'sticky' at the top of each topic ?

PS We have spammers listing new threads.
Video embedded. I'll see about a sticky.

(Killed the spam)
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

seeingclearly wrote:Link to Harry Leslie Smith video from LP conference, apologies if it's already been posted.

If anyone cares to embed it, thanks.

[youtube]E0FIFsgxJV4[/youtube]
Here's Harry's speech.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

Thank you, posters of yesterday, I just caught up. Especial thanks to the poster who raised the arts as an issue of concern. Just lost a post on this, shan't redo it, but it's been a big concern as I've watched former colleagues and friends lose funding, opportunities and generally how things have gone downhill in the creative industries too. The rubbishing of media studies has impacted very personally, I don't recognise the courses or the kids from the media guff. Most of the youngsters I've come across who have used such courses are the multi skilled lateral thinkers so valued elsewhere. Their skillset is a vital bridge between the arts and industry. As one lecturer used to say, design is there in everything, and there's an art in doing things well.

I despise the policies that reduce our national creativity to monetary worth, and our hearts and souls to mince meat. :fire:

Posted from a small outpost of creativity to a hive of creative thinking. :hug:
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Fucking hell, Ed really has every single aspect of the media against him doesn't he ?

As I'm typing, Jon Snow is highlighting the reaction to yesterdays speech by claiming a poll today said that half of Labours supporters saying they wanted him to step aside; he quoted Rentool's words as if he had no idea that Rentool is a huge Blairite & for whom nobody will ever be good enough;Freedman's headlines form that supposedly 'sympathetic' newspaper; we got the 'shopping basket guesstimate; the local radio balls-up when he didnt know the Cllr's name & apparently he even risked fratricide !!

I kid you not ! The words came out of Snows mouth as I typed. I've lost count of the number of times Snow said the word 'deficit' & apparently Ed's preferred method as speech giving by way of a conversation rather than using notes is a 'stunt' & mentioning people he met is a way of 'normalising himself'

So there you have it folks, Snow et al all know better than anybody else.

What a fucking disgrace this media fuckers are ! I'm not sure how much more I can take of this let alone the Labour party MPs

:fire: :fire: :fire: :wall: :wall: :wall:
Last edited by pk1 on Wed 24 Sep, 2014 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

He's on Twitter - slaughter him :twisted:
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

pk1 wrote:
Jeremy Hunt, the health secretary, has criticised Andy Burnham for not apologising for the Mid-Staffs hospital scandal in his conference speech. Hunt said:

Once again at Labour conference the most important part of a speech was forgotten - Andy Burnham failed to apologise for, or even mention, the tragic events at Mid Staffs. We will only improve the NHS if we are honest about terrible problems which happened because of a target culture Labour have never taken responsibility for.
Why in all that's holy, does Sparrow trot out this garbage from Hunt ?
Perhaps next week Hunt will apologise on behalf of Clarke, Waldegrave, Dorrell & Aunty Virginia for the Bristol Children's Hospital heart scandal in the 1990's.

Or perhaps not
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

seeingclearly wrote:Thank you, posters of yesterday, I just caught up. Especial thanks to the poster who raised the arts as an issue of concern. Just lost a post on this, shan't redo it, but it's been a big concern as I've watched former colleagues and friends lose funding, opportunities and generally how things have gone downhill in the creative industries too. The rubbishing of media studies has impacted very personally, I don't recognise the courses or the kids from the media guff. Most of the youngsters I've come across who have used such courses are the multi skilled lateral thinkers so valued elsewhere. Their skillset is a vital bridge between the arts and industry. As one lecturer used to say, design is there in everything, and there's an art in doing things well.

I despise the policies that reduce our national creativity to monetary worth, and our hearts and souls to mince meat. :fire:

Hear, hear to all that.

I probably would say this, wouldn't I, as a former dancer but ... my arts training was the absolute making of me in so many ways - self discipline, motivation, reflection and questioning in bucket loads, working with other people, drive, drive, drive, - working things out in ways beyond my former ability to imagine, risk taking, attention to detail, delight in the unknown, delight in the known, being still, listening, watching, feeling ... and I've left out all the more prosaic and essential life and organisation skills that go along with surviving such a training and career choice. Everything I was able to usefully turn my hand to has stemmed from my arts training ... adaptability and inspiration are much needed to be able to carve a way in today's uncertainty.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Lol anatoly, I had just sent this:
Kathy @kb32904 · 1m
Really sad to hear @jonsnow trotting out Tory attack lines against @Ed_Miliband Balanced media ? What a joke. @c4news - a fucking disgrace !
As evidence as to how aggressive Snow was, I offer this tweet by none other than the Con supporing Andrew Neil:
Andrew Neil ‏@afneil 1m
Ed Miliband reeling from full frontal assault by Jon Snow on top form on @Channel4News
Expand
Seen this ?
Mark Ferguson @Markfergusonuk · 23m
I’m a member of the Parliamentary Press Gallery - but @CCHQPress have decided to bar me from Tory conference. Freedom? Yeah, right
Last edited by pk1 on Wed 24 Sep, 2014 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

pk1 wrote:Fucking hell, Ed really has every single aspect of the media against him doesn't he ?

As I'm typing, Jon Snow is highlighting the reaction to yesterdays speech by claiming a poll today said that half of Labours supporters saying they wanted him to step aside; he quoted Rentool's words as if he had no idea that Rentool is a huge Blairite & for whom nobody will ever be good enough;Freedman's headlines form that supposedly 'sympathetic' newspaper; we got the 'shopping basket guesstimate; the local radio balls-up when he didnt know the Cllr's name & apparently he even risked fratricide !!

I kid you not ! The words came out of Snows mouth as I typed.

What a fucking disgrace this media fuckers are !

:fire: :fire: :fire: :wall: :wall: :wall:
The airwaves are awash with haters of Labour, this is one of a few vitriol free havens. When even the Star is at it it's well to take refuge. (I'm getting tired of SNP snipers ranging across the nation, too, their virulent accusations seem to have intensified, so much for solidarity.)
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.suttontrust.com/wp-content/u ... -final.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

41% of top journalists went to Oxbridge.

Cliched, but the public school/Oxbridge stranglehold on top jobs is the root of much of this evil. It's the latest in 1000 years (and the rest) of tricks to keep us in our place.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Dippy Dave's dirty deeds department strikes again :lol:
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Kathy ‏@kb32904 3m
.@jonsnowC4 Are you proud of the technique you used against @Ed_Miliband ? Would you *dare* speak to Cameron like that ? I'm shocked at you.

Jon Snow ‏@jonsnowC4 2m
@kb32904 @Ed_Miliband If he'd 'forgotten' critical chunks of his speech i most certainly would, yes!

Kathy ‏@kb32904 1m
@jonsnowC4 Aggression gets the best out of people does it ? I'll take a leaf out of your book & try it with my boss - see where it gets me !
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

ohsocynical wrote:

The trouble is, he makes it TOO obvious - one of many ways he falls short compared to his supposed mentor Mr Tony.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:

The trouble is, he makes it TOO obvious - one of many ways he falls short compared to his supposed mentor Mr Tony.
Lazy. Playing dirty. Cheating. It has to be a character trait, something he's always done and was never pulled up on when he was younger. Gets away with it still, because he has money.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

Well, that is me and the Guardian finished but, annoyingly, the decision has been forced upon me.

It seems Rusty was so annoyed at me owning his arse everytime that he has taken to stalking me on Twitter; the conversation I had with Andrew earlier has been referenced in two of his replies to Roger this evening. Now when somebody that petty, with close ties to central Government, starts down that route you have to wonder how far he will go to get his revenge. So, for my own safety, I will have to walk away from the politics threads. It is censorship, pure & simple, but the bully has won.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

pk1 wrote:Kathy ‏@kb32904 3m
.@jonsnowC4 Are you proud of the technique you used against @Ed_Miliband ? Would you *dare* speak to Cameron like that ? I'm shocked at you.

Jon Snow ‏@jonsnowC4 2m
@kb32904 @Ed_Miliband If he'd 'forgotten' critical chunks of his speech i most certainly would, yes!

Kathy ‏@kb32904 1m
@jonsnowC4 Aggression gets the best out of people does it ? I'll take a leaf out of your book & try it with my boss - see where it gets me !
As you know, I asked Snow if he'd ever mentioned Cameron leaving his kids down the pub.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Conor Pope ‏@Conorpope 35m
My Tory conf pass has been rejected too. Clearly an anti-LabourList conspiracy

This is the second journalist who Tweeted that he's been barred from attending the Conservative conference...

How does that Roy Orbson song go? Running scared? Should be their signature tune.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:Well, that is me and the Guardian finished but, annoyingly, the decision has been forced upon me.

It seems Rusty was so annoyed at me owning his arse everytime that he has taken to stalking me on Twitter; the conversation I had with Andrew earlier has been referenced in two of his replies to Roger this evening. Now when somebody that petty, with close ties to central Government, starts down that route you have to wonder how far he will go to get his revenge. So, for my own safety, I will have to walk away from the politics threads. It is censorship, pure & simple, but the bully has won.

I will be making my feelings known tomorrow too, and will not post on the politics thread thereafter until I see some change.

I am appalled at what certain people are allowed to get away with. It is not funny any more.

I have been stalked on CIF and Twitter by someone who had multiple identities - she was eventually banned because people on the cartoon threads complained formally en masse, and Martin Rowson remonstrated with her BTL on several occasions.

The same could be done with the bully in this case - but somehow I doubt it would happen as I do not think the Guardian has the same ethos any more. All they care about is clickbait. Not AS's fault, but he could do more to support his regular poster who are there to discuss rather than take any opportunity to bully people or pisstake.

I'll be staying away from there for a while, and post elsewhere. Not happy.

So - I'll be up extra early tomorrow just to despise rusty a bit longer. Then he can follow me where he likes - I refuse to engage with it and any behaviour I don;t like will be reported.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

A political ally of Tory chairman Grant Shapps is under pressure to resign over allegations linking him to the Jimmy Savile abuse scandal. The relationship between Savile and Alan Franey — now the deputy leader of Shapps’ local council and a police and crime panel member — was the subject of harsh scrutiny by an official NHS investigation.

The Welwyn Hatfield Times reports that Cllr Franey will now face a no confidence vote from colleagues on Monday.
http://politicalscrapbook.net/2014/09/g ... ook_featt4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Rather partisan piece from Michael Crick, not many ''impartial'' commentators even pretend these days do they?

Well, sorry to say but both Heywood and Middleton are run down areas and both seem very anti immigrant (if an area can be called anti immigrant) not been to either town recently (apart from short trip to Heywood for 1940's day, which is a bit carnival like so does not give a real feel for the day to day business of the place.) They may have improved economically, but I doubt it.
To get a feel for the location, Middleton is not very far from Oldham where the race riots were in 2001 that spread part way into Chadderton. Chadderton shares a border with Middleton.
So, yes I can see problems from ukip here, but not checked the majority? (will do now) if lower than 5k then ukip could possibly squeak it. :(
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
seeingclearly wrote:Thank you, posters of yesterday, I just caught up. Especial thanks to the poster who raised the arts as an issue of concern. Just lost a post on this, shan't redo it, but it's been a big concern as I've watched former colleagues and friends lose funding, opportunities and generally how things have gone downhill in the creative industries too. The rubbishing of media studies has impacted very personally, I don't recognise the courses or the kids from the media guff. Most of the youngsters I've come across who have used such courses are the multi skilled lateral thinkers so valued elsewhere. Their skillset is a vital bridge between the arts and industry. As one lecturer used to say, design is there in everything, and there's an art in doing things well.

Hear, hear to all that.

I probably would say this, wouldn't I, as a former dancer but ... my arts training was the absolute making of me in so many ways - self discipline, motivation, reflection and questioning in bucket loads, working with other people, drive, drive, drive, - working things out in ways beyond my former ability to imagine, risk taking, attention to detail, delight in the unknown, delight in the known, being still, listening, watching, feeling ... and I've left out all the more prosaic and essential life and organisation skills that go along with surviving such a training and career choice. Everything' I was able to usefully turn my hand to has stemmed from my arts training ... adaptability and inspiration are much needed to be able to carve a way in today's uncertainty.
Lovely post. This exactly. This kind of training brings an extra dimension to everything.

I finally got to university - art school - at 45, after half a lifetime of bad timing, and coasting on a few creative skills, but had some very gifted teachers at an early age. This kind of training is second to none, when I did get into good work it gave me an edge in finding work, I was really saddened that many hadn't been brought up with some of the things you describe. Uni didn't give me those skills so much as the teachers decades before, my lecturers were mainly a bored bunch, but the opportunity to develop creative practice and the self assessment elements were excellent. I was nearly fifty by then, and rather surprised to find any creative work, but it became really obvious that what you call 'the absolute making of me' was not available to many. We started to build a mentoring aspect into projects as a counter to this. I hate seeing it written out of education and employment. We're not designed to be cogs in a machine. I kind of link lack of development of those things with certain kind of mental health outcomes in the west, the unattainable dreams of down trodden people unable to transform things in their daily lives, because the ordinary has never been valued or seen as extraordinary. (I dunno, meandering thoughts, but even a loaf of bread is a kind of creative magic. Make extra and there's pride and perhaps some change in your pocket. When did so many people forget how to be makers)

Sorry, a wordy reply. :oops: Just a thought, is that why you lived in London; dance?

Edited to remove an autocorrect blip, does anyone know what a Bunshaft is?
Last edited by seeingclearly on Wed 24 Sep, 2014 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Your ass aint talkin its way outta this shit.
Although health bosses have said the replacement urgent care centre would treat the vast majority of patients who currently use the A&E department, its closure has been criticised by Welwyn Hatfield MP Grant Shapps.

He told the Welwyn Hatfield Times: “Given our growing population and the new NHS chief executive for England’s call to make hospital healthcare more local, this is a retrograde steps which puts the health and welfare of local people at risk.”
http://www.whtimes.co.uk/news/imminent_ ... _1_3782029" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:Well, that is me and the Guardian finished but, annoyingly, the decision has been forced upon me.

What thread was that on? Not been on the AS blog much, not really worth it today. But don't give up,
Trust you have blocked him on twitter?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Gee, look at those thick UKIPper on that Crick story.

Pathetic.

Note the usual in depth analysis of Ed Miliband. One bloke said he was a "waste of space".
diGriz
Committee Chair

Post by diGriz »

Take it as flattery. Does he have ties? I get the feeling that a little too much of him is BS.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

AngryAsWell wrote:

What thread was that on? Not been on the AS blog much, not really worth it today. But don't give up,
Rusty is a fantasist, he doesn't have ties to central government. He might be a member of the Tory party, but I doubt it.

I wouldn't take it personally just block him on Twitter and move on.

The Guardian is just a troll fest these days. Nobody reads the comments, just like the Telegraph.
Release the Guardvarks.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

pk1 wrote:
A political ally of Tory chairman Grant Shapps is under pressure to resign over allegations linking him to the Jimmy Savile abuse scandal. The relationship between Savile and Alan Franey — now the deputy leader of Shapps’ local council and a police and crime panel member — was the subject of harsh scrutiny by an official NHS investigation.

The Welwyn Hatfield Times reports that Cllr Franey will now face a no confidence vote from colleagues on Monday.
http://politicalscrapbook.net/2014/09/g ... ook_featt4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Where's the Rotherham fury?
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

AngryAsWell wrote:

Don't know who he is posting as. Have now had to protect my Twitter account as a result.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Britain Elects is tweeting a ComRes poll:

Best party on the cost of living (ComRes):
LAB - 28%
CON - 19%
UKIP - 9%
LDEM - 5%
(DK) - 39%

Best party to manage the NHS (ComRes):
LAB - 29%
CON - 20%
UKIP - 9%
LDEM - 7%
(DK) - 35%

Best party on housing (ComRes):
LAB - 28%
CON - 18%
UKIP - 8%
LDEM - 5%
(DK) - 41%

Best party to manage welfare (ComRes):
LAB - 28%
CON - 23%
UKIP - 11%
LDEM - 6%
(DK) - 32%

Best party on care for the elderly (ComRes):
LAB - 26%
CON - 15%
LDEM - 10%
UKIP - 8%
(DK) - 42%

Best party on ensuring economic growth is benefitted by all (ComRes):
LAB - 26%
CON - 23%
UKIP - 11%
LDEM - 6%
(DK) - 32%

Best party on education (ComRes):
LAB - 25%
CON - 24%
UKIP - 9%
LDEM - 8%
(DK) - 35%

Best party on the economy (ComRes):
CON - 34%
LAB - 20%
UKIP - 11%
LDEM - 4%
(DK) - 31%

Best party on law and order (ComRes):
CON - 29%
LAB - 17%
UKIP - 14%
LDEM - 4%
(DK) - 36%

Best party to manage the deficit (ComRes):
CON - 39%
LAB - 14%
UKIP - 9%
LDEM - 4%
(DK) - 33%

Best party to handle the EU (ComRes):
UKIP - 30%
CON - 23%
LAB - 15%
LDEM - 5%
(DK) - 27%

Best party to control immigration (ComRes):
UKIP - 43%
CON - 16%
LAB - 12%
LDEM - 4%
(DK) - 25%

Guess the 'societal affairs' figures shows why Labour are ahead in the polls despite being behind on the economic measures ;)
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

According to the figures, Britain's debt mountain is £127 billion bigger that we first thought.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/econ ... ntain.html

Ouch. What has George been up to?

Edited to add...I wonder if all those who think the Tories are better handling the deficit will think twice now?
Last edited by ohsocynical on Wed 24 Sep, 2014 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

If you ask the question which party is best for the economy the Tories are ahead.

If you ask the question which party will be best for me the Labour Party leads.

Guess which of the two people vote for.
Release the Guardvarks.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:If you ask the question which party is best for the economy the Tories are ahead.

If you ask the question which party will be best for me the Labour Party leads.

Guess which of the two people vote for.
Yes, exactly that.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

ohsocynical wrote:According to the figures, Britain's debt mountain is £127 billion bigger that we first thought.

Edited to add...I wonder if all those who think the Tories are better handling the deficit will think twice now?
I had a read of that earlier - it's just reclassifying so that everyone is on the same basis.

The ONS used to publish two lots of figures - one including the bank bailout spend and the other without. this just says that we don't actually need both. Not quite sure how you can compare a pre-recession number with a post-recession with that in but that's just me.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:According to the figures, Britain's debt mountain is £127 billion bigger that we first thought.

I had a read of that earlier - it's just reclassifying so that everyone is on the same basis.

The ONS used to publish two lots of figures - one including the bank bailout spend and the other without. this just says that we don't actually need both. Not quite sure how you can compare a pre-recession number with a post-recession with that in but that's just me.
Even so the new numbers seem a lot starker to me. I'm an absolute dummy when it comes to finance, but then so are a lot of people so it might make them sit up and think.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

ohsocynical wrote: Even so the new numbers seem a lot starker to me. I'm an absolute dummy when it comes to finance, but then so are a lot of people so it might make them sit up and think.
By coincidence I've just been looking at the report that the government department who issues our debt put out.

After Brown gave the BoE independence to set interest rates in 1997, the following year he created the Debt Management Office as separate from the BoE.

And guess what...they're very successful and good at what they do. They manage to get companies and institutions to lend huge amounts of cash to the government and yet the repayment period average is about twice as much as other G7 countries.

Some of their debt is issued to be repaid...in 2068. It's a continual rolling programme...debt gets repaid according to the date as to when it was issued, and new debt taken out.

This is actually why, if Scotland had gone independent, trying to divide up UK debt between them and rUK would have been a nightmare and best avoided.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Here's hoping Birmingham give the tories the same (or even better 50/60k and counting) as Manchester did
http://www.pcs.org.uk/en/campaigns/nati ... tember.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

I see Nicky Morgan has appointed ex-Ofsted chief Mike Thomlinson to oversee Birmingham schools for a year to try and sort them out. Pretty sound choice.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014 ... birmingham

Now, about that meeting that a HT had at the DfE back in 2010...any chance Lord Nash might tell about the investigation as to what was said and what warnings ere known about 4 years ago?