Wednesday 24th September 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Re: Wednesday 24th September 2014

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Ha! A new description for DJH...

http://zelo-street.blogspot.co.uk/2014/ ... geing.html
Among the right-wing carping at Mil The Younger’s conference speech yesterday, that generated by those at the bear pit that is Telegraph blogs scored exceptionally high marks in the stampy tantrum stakes. Stephen Bush called it “funereal”, permanently glum Janet Daley said it was “pretty dismal”, Tim Stanley shouted “resign”, and James Kirkup declared it to have been “flat”.

Then came the Tel’s blues artiste Whingeing Dan Hodges, who has suffered for his art, and so now it’s your turn.
:clap:
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Rather partisan piece from Michael Crick, not many ''impartial'' commentators even pretend these days do they?

http://blogs.channel4.com/michael-crick ... abour/4403" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Like Ernst's and AAW's view on this?
My first impression is that all but one of the posters BTL there is clinically insane. UKIP will benefit the working class? In what way?

H&M is a seat where the cash rich (and let us not pretend that their riches come with strings unattached by philanthropists, as opposed to very rich people with their own agendas) UKIP are hurling in people (and I assume most of their leafleters will be bought) to try to win the seat. They might succeed, and I'll be able to tell you more after this weekend when and a sizeable number of our local party go out there and start telling people what UKIP actually stand for - and it ain't the working man.

You don't have to be a genius to figure out that the meeja will play this one low key in the hope that it will be a shock, horror if Labour, whereas if they win it'll be dismissed as a safe Labour seat and therefore not part of the narrative.

I, and anyone else with half a brain (well, that's me told), can figure this out. UKIP voters invariably won't. I'll be out there on the stump and happy to do so. It's a while since I've had a chance to rip UKIP to tiny pieces on the doorstep, given that the meeja aren't in the least interested in actually seriously questioning what they stand for.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RogerOThornhill wrote:I see Nicky Morgan has appointed ex-Ofsted chief Mike Thomlinson to oversee Birmingham schools for a year to try and sort them out. Pretty sound choice.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014 ... birmingham

Now, about that meeting that a HT had at the DfE back in 2010...any chance Lord Nash might tell about the investigation as to what was said and what warnings ere known about 4 years ago?
Marklu thinks he was the best Chief Inspector IIRC.

Morgan's a big improvement on Gove in some respects.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

pk1 wrote:Britain Elects is tweeting a ComRes poll:

Best party on the cost of living (ComRes):
LAB - 28%
CON - 19%
UKIP - 9%
LDEM - 5%
(DK) - 39%

Best party to manage the NHS (ComRes):
LAB - 29%
CON - 20%
UKIP - 9%
LDEM - 7%
(DK) - 35%

Best party on housing (ComRes):
LAB - 28%
CON - 18%
UKIP - 8%
LDEM - 5%
(DK) - 41%

Best party to manage welfare (ComRes):
LAB - 28%
CON - 23%
UKIP - 11%
LDEM - 6%
(DK) - 32%

Best party on care for the elderly (ComRes):
LAB - 26%
CON - 15%
LDEM - 10%
UKIP - 8%
(DK) - 42%

Best party on ensuring economic growth is benefitted by all (ComRes):
LAB - 26%
CON - 23%
UKIP - 11%
LDEM - 6%
(DK) - 32%

Best party on education (ComRes):
LAB - 25%
CON - 24%
UKIP - 9%
LDEM - 8%
(DK) - 35%

Best party on the economy (ComRes):
CON - 34%
LAB - 20%
UKIP - 11%
LDEM - 4%
(DK) - 31%

Best party on law and order (ComRes):
CON - 29%
LAB - 17%
UKIP - 14%
LDEM - 4%
(DK) - 36%

Best party to manage the deficit (ComRes):
CON - 39%
LAB - 14%
UKIP - 9%
LDEM - 4%
(DK) - 33%

Best party to handle the EU (ComRes):
UKIP - 30%
CON - 23%
LAB - 15%
LDEM - 5%
(DK) - 27%

Best party to control immigration (ComRes):
UKIP - 43%
CON - 16%
LAB - 12%
LDEM - 4%
(DK) - 25%

Guess the 'societal affairs' figures shows why Labour are ahead in the polls despite being behind on the economic measures ;)
I'm happy to pontificate that extremes are exhibited in all such polls. If you ask people who do you want to see in government in 2015, you will probably get somewhat different answers, in line with current polling.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

seeingclearly wrote: Just a thought, is that why you lived in London; dance?
Yup. You got it. I had to be there for that initially. But then as life got more complicated and that very same dance led me into different things ... London sort of got me. That adaptability and risk taking took me in directions I had never imagined ... and probably were only possible in London at the time.

Very happy in Wales. But I'm immediately at home in London when I step off the train in Paddington - and even more so after a few stops on the tube. I guess it will always be that way.

West Wales is stuffed full of artists and lots of former dancers. So pretty rich company here.
Working on the wild side.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Surely London is "unrecognisable"?
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Surely London is "unrecognisable"?
I assume the huge city with a tube system is a bit of a give away?
Release the Guardvarks.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Surely London is "unrecognisable"?
London's in me bones Tubby - beyond whether I recognise it or not.

I'll probably have trouble working out how to pay for the tube when they finally ditch the Oyster card though. Hopefully we'll have personal teleportation before that happens.

The thing I really miss is easy access to good Asian food. I used to get to have lots of lovely home cooked meals, and access to great Asian sweet shops, when I was living and working there. Mr Riots brings me back boxes full of samosas and other spicy goodies when he goes on a trip to the big city - and I do the same.
Working on the wild side.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Ukip Are Really, Really Angry Islamic State Could Distract From Their Conference

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/09 ... 71778.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am so "not" laughing .....no I'm not, this is not on.
UKIP conference can not be upstaged by a recall of a Parliament where they have no seats for decisions involving a trivial matter like war.

( :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: )
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Did anyone mention this little observation from Robin Lustig?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-09-24 at 23.05.12.png
Screen Shot 2014-09-24 at 23.05.12.png (22.31 KiB) Viewed 7734 times
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Remember all the grief EM got for supporting the World Cup team by posing with the Scum ?

Will all those attacking him for that now come out & support his stance for this ?

(Sorry, I can't edit the pic down cos I'm on my iPad & my editing software is crap - hopefully one of you intelligent mods will do it for me .)
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (100.06 KiB) Viewed 7730 times
Last edited by pk1 on Wed 24 Sep, 2014 11:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Susan
‏@marthasydenham Good to see Miliband is refusing to play the Sun's little game. Good on you Ed.

(Still can't do that embed thing....)
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

pk1 wrote:Remember all the grief EM got for supporting the World Cup team by posing with the Scum ?

Will all those attacking him for that now come out & support his stance for this ?
Snap and thank you for being able to get the embed :)
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

Well, for once, I get to say good night to everyone. My wife grew up in New Zealand, and she tells me that the Kiwi in his nightgown used to shuffle round his (cartoon) house at NZ bedtime (which I presume from her relating was about 10pm) pulling plugs out of the wall prior to donning a night cap and turning in for the night.

I mention that apropos of nothing. I just thought it deserved a wider hearing for those people who believe that Kiwis (New Zealanders) and Aussies are really much less patronised than people in the UK.

There's an article about UKIP on the Graun site, but I just can't be fucked to link to it, as it's a piece of shite and the BTL comments is swarming with bright eyed fascists.

zzzzzzzzzzzz.

Goodnight.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

Goodnight everyone – and good morning to the early birds :smile:

My attempts to type anything coherent have, so far, failed either through technical difficulties or my own stupidity/clumsiness. So, in hopes I can post this successfully: I think you are all great people. The other place has made my head and heart hurt with a few bright spots there, mostly from fellow Havenites (if that is the right word!) Time for Second Sleep, I think, and hopes that all wake refreshed and ready for a new day. My first task will be to rebuild this keyboard to make apostrophes and suchlike work. I, um, dropped it...
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...