Sat 9th & Sun 10th April 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Sat 9th & Sun 10th April 2016

Post by Willow904 »

I woke up to a constituent of David Cameron saying he'd voted for Cameron before but would never vote for him again on Radio 4 this morning. Most seem uninterested, however. Could just be BBC selected reporting, of course, but seemed to reflect things I've heard elsewhere from people who only care about policies that directly effect them ( tax cuts and pension rises) and are completely unable to make connections between things that don't directly affect them and things that do ( central government cuts to local councils and library closures and axed bus routes). Labour have so much work to do to educate people about politics before they can even begin to hope to win them over.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Re: Sat 9th & Sun 10th April 2016

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

David Cameron's own constituents would be amongst the last to desert him, I would have thought.

And any slippage in their support is good - lets never forget they didn't win the last election by *that* much.

Good morning, all :)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Morning
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-36004804" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Young people with learning difficulties 'let down' - Ofsted
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

So - the Archbishop of Canterbury is this weekend's dead cat courtesy of the Telegraph.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Totally naive of me, but I woke up this morning hoping, when I logged in, to see excited postings about Dave's resignation.

Ah well. If wishes were granted we'd all be kings.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

ohsocynical wrote:So - the Archbishop of Canterbury is this weekend's dead cat courtesy of the Telegraph.
I don't give a flying fig about that. Top of the BBC too. Sad, very sad.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

I Tweeted:

Dear Archbishop. So sorry you were chosen to be the dead cat this weekend.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

I wouldn't worry about that too much, its by definition a one day wonder.

The interesting thing to look out for is if the Sunday papers have done any proper digging over Dave.......
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

ohsocynical wrote:Totally naive of me, but I woke up this morning hoping, when I logged in, to see excited postings about Dave's resignation.

Ah well. If wishes were granted we'd all be kings.
I must admit that I was looking forward to more revelations - and not of the biblical kind. Oh, well . . . .
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:I wouldn't worry about that too much, its by definition a one day wonder.

The interesting thing to look out for is if the Sunday papers have done any proper digging over Dave.......

True. Saturday's usually a bit of a fallow day for things of this kind (politics, not archbishops).
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

I read Dave's meeting his constituency activists.
I'd like to be a fly on the wall for that. Probably lots of vomit inducing, cap doffing, sycophancy.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Live feed. Cameron protest.

http://bambuser.com/v/6202336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:I wouldn't worry about that too much, its by definition a one day wonder.

I agree. The Justin Welby story is fascinating and reflects rather well on him, I think, given how difficult it must have been for him to get his head around. It's hard to see how it's a dead cat. Even the Church itself doesn't have an issue with an illegitimate Arch-bishop these days let alone anyone else. Of course, it brings up the whole thing about the son not being accountable for the sins of the father, which the Tories have been full of re Cameron, but the offshore investment Cameron admitted to on Thursday and the transparency for offshore trusts he blocked at EU level makes that argument redundant. And C4 seem keen to pursue the story, don't they? Are they miffed about being earmarked for privatisation?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Willow904 wrote:

I agree. The Justin Welby story is fascinating and reflects rather well on him, I think, given how difficult it must have been for him to get his head around. It's hard to see how it's a dead cat. Even the Church itself doesn't have an issue with an illegitimate Arch-bishop these days let alone anyone else. Of course, it brings up the whole thing about the son not being accountable for the sins of the father, which the Tories have been full of re Cameron, but the offshore investment Cameron admitted to on Thursday and the transparency for offshore trusts he blocked at EU level makes that argument redundant. And C4 seem keen to pursue the story, don't they? Are they miffed about being earmarked for privatisation?
My Bold.

Yes I was thinking about that. Looks as if C4 have decided in for a penny, in for a pound.
The BBC on the other hand have chosen the grovelling option.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ohsocynical wrote:Live feed. Cameron protest.

http://bambuser.com/v/6202336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not live. Repeating itself.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... rumbles-on" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The facts are I bought shares in a unit trust, shares that are like any other sorts of shares and paid tax on them in exactly the same way.

Brass neck, I believe is the expression. After making a big deal of being all disapproving of complex offshore arrangements (and Blairmore holdings, what it's for and what it does, is plenty complex as far as I can see) he is now keen to have us believe that it's just a unit trust, of the type us ordinary folk invest in. Except aren't unit trusts open ended, allowing anyone to invest? Can Blairmore holdings really be described in this way? Surely Cameron can't get away with condoning offshore investment vehicles as merely "unit trusts" after spending so many years condemning them as aggressive and immoral tax avoidance schemes?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Is this live? " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Is this live? " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes - there are now several hundred people outside the main entrance of the Connaught Rooms, and quite a few at the back.

I wonder how good the soundproofing is in there?

Best bit so far - a big pink pig-shaped pinata with Cameron's face on.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

ephemerid wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Is this live? " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes - there are now several hundred people outside the main entrance of the Connaught Rooms, and quite a few at the back.

I wonder how good the soundproofing is in there?

Best bit so far - a big pink pig-shaped pinata with Cameron's face on.
Not exactly Iceland, is it?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

So Dave says he could have handled the tax row better.

Is that it?

He got the PR wrong, that's all he's sorry for.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Oh and there are lessons to learn

FFS
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Now. If all those young people marching today would only bother to vote in 2020 the Tories would be hurting. Come to that, be nice if they voted in May too.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

:lol:
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-04-09 at 13.20.51.png
Screen Shot 2016-04-09 at 13.20.51.png (394.88 KiB) Viewed 7055 times
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

ohsocynical wrote:Now. If all those young people marching today would only bother to vote in 2020 the Tories would be hurting. Come to that, be nice if they voted in May too.
If young voters had turned out on GE day as well as polls had previously predicted, we would very likely have had a hung parliament (though Tories still biggest party)
Maeght
Committee Chair

Post by Maeght »

I just want to thank seeing clearly and NeilBB and Ohso again for their help with my struggles to copy pictures etc yesterday.

I have now understood how to do it on a Mac! The worst bit was finding out how to reduce the size of the picture. The last time I did this I had a Windows machine and it didn't seem that hard.

Will practise a bit before attempting it again!

Only energy left now will be used to express disgust at Tory shenanigans.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Mellow Yellow liked your Retweet

2h: Typical British protest. They're chanting: "Liar! Liar! Pants on fire!" #resigncameron

pic.twitter.com/wmNgFi2yqd
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

The Brexit nightmare is becoming reality. The remain camp is in denial
Natalie Nougayrède (Guardian)
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... ama-papers
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Peter Jukes ‏@peterjukes 12m12 minutes ago

Less than 24 hours till shocking truth of the #Whittingdale coverup revealed. Dominatrix is only the starting point

https://www.byline.com/project/48
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Jamie Ross ‏@JamieRoss7 1h1 hour ago
An SNP voter tells Kezia Dugdale "I am a big fan of Jeremy Corbyn and now you after that speech". Labour press officers must be euphoric.
Corbyn is in Edinburgh. Sounds like he's going down well from the tweets by Ross.
Working on the wild side.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

BBC TV News leading with David Cameron being 'umble and apologetic over the way he handled the Panama Papers thing. It's all his fault. What a noble man he is.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

ohsocynical wrote:Peter Jukes ‏@peterjukes 12m12 minutes ago

Less than 24 hours till shocking truth of the #Whittingdale coverup revealed. Dominatrix is only the starting point

Starting to look very much like the latter major years including the usual "bastards" - incompetence, sleaze, anti-EU, silly gimmicks that go wrong, u-turns.
Last edited by RogerOThornhill on Sat 09 Apr, 2016 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

What's the bloody Sturgeon up to again?
Earlier today in Edingburgh.

Can't paste the extract on here but it says:

The idea that Jeremy Corbyn will use his day trip to Scotland to lecture people on fairness, while supporting George Osbornes tax cut for the better off and Keziah Dugdale's plan to hike taxes on even the lowest workers - is incredible.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

RogerOThornhill wrote:

Starting to look very much like the latter major years including the usual "bastards" - incompetence, sleaze, anti-EU, silly gimmicks that go wring, u-turns.
Snag is they're able to sit tight for another four years and strip us and the country bare.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:

Starting to look very much like the latter major years including the usual "bastards" - incompetence, sleaze, anti-EU, silly gimmicks that go wring, u-turns.
I'm expecting someone to facilitate more press digging into Osborne's affairs - financial and otherwise - pretty soon. The EU split plus leadership contest in the making is going to make that ever more likely.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ohsocynical wrote:What's the bloody Sturgeon up to again?

The idea that Jeremy Corbyn will use his day trip to Scotland to lecture people on fairness, while supporting George Osbornes tax cut for the better off and Keziah Dugdale's plan to hike taxes on even the lowest workers - is incredible.
There will come a point when people do more looking into the substance of what she says. It might not be coming soon - but it will come.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

There will come a point when people do more looking into the substance of what she says. It might not be coming soon - but it will come.
I am beginning to heartily dislike her.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

Has Mr Riots had any of his pizza yet?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Stop moaning about Samantha Cameron’s ‘special advisor’ – you try being the PM’s wife for the day
From organising charity receptions in Downing Street to coordinating her personal work, parental responsibilities and state obligations there’s more than a full job of work to do for an assistant

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/sto ... 76371.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What a load of .....
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ohsocynical wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

Has Mr Riots had any of his pizza yet?
Tomorrow, tomorrow .... as the song goes. Following a trip to the supermarket which neither of us wants to do today.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

PorFavor wrote:
She is absolutely f***ing awful, mind - so that makes me feel slightly better about things if anything ;)

Yes, it is a worry that present events might feed into a pro-Brexit mood - but two polls taken this week show things basically neck and neck; on past precedent "leave" should be clearly ahead now to have any real chance on the day (and most pollsters seem to be trying to factor likely turnout in as well)
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

I enjoyed Any Questions if only for the obvious panel and audience anger over the 9m of 'money well spent' by Cameron sending out his Remain leaflet to us all. Michael Fallon actually got laughed at loudly when he did his usual blustering defence of it ...

Digby Jones - who isn't usually a favourite of mine to say the least - and Frank Field - who isn't usually etc etc - were both quite funny about it. They both consider it to be a massive own goal by Cameron.

If that audience is anything to go by (Prestwood in leafy Buckinghamshire) Cameron is going to get a lot of those leaflets right back at him.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
She is absolutely f***ing awful, mind - so that makes me feel slightly better about things if anything ;)

Yes, it is a worry that present events might feed into a pro-Brexit mood - but two polls taken this week show things basically neck and neck; on past precedent "leave" should be clearly ahead now to have any real chance on the day (and most pollsters seem to be trying to factor likely turnout in as well)
I don't know anything about her, actually - so thanks for your take on it.

(Why is she so awful, by the way?)
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Mark Townsend ‏@TownsendMark 9m9 minutes ago
Downing Street saying that Cameron will publish his personal tax affairs around 3pm today. Documents will cover last six years.
Is that wise? It will make sure the story carries over into Sunday - breaking that cardinal rule we all know about but are not sure where it came from.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Will it be copies of his actual tax returns or just his version of them ?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Sadiq Khan MP ‏@SadiqKhan 51s52 seconds ago
Hearing of more desperate Tory attacks today - @ZacGoldsmith is running a desperate dog-whistle campaign & should be thoroughly ashamed.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Mark Townsend ‏@TownsendMark 9m9 minutes ago
Downing Street saying that Cameron will publish his personal tax affairs around 3pm today. Documents will cover last six years.
Is that wise? It will make sure the story carries over into Sunday - breaking that cardinal rule we all know about but are not sure where it came from.
It is widely associated with one A J Campbell Esq, I believe.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Here's a little cheerer upper.
This Dog Café Gives Abandoned Pups The Chance Of A Better Life
Best idea ever.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/c ... _hp_ref=uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

She's a lying liar who tells lies. Even without the rebate, Dugdale's plan wouldn't touch the lowest paid. And the poorer, of course, benefit from public spending.

That "coming to lecture Scotland" is a really nasty meme. I presume she's not "lecturing" Wales when she turns up trying to shit stir.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Laurie Penny ‏@PennyRed 3m3 minutes ago
I'd estimate 4k people at the #ResignDavidCameron protest. Including one girl with the sign 'I'm hungover as fuck but this is important.'