Saturday 23rd & Sunday 24th April 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Saturday 23rd & Sunday 24th April 2016

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Re: Saturday 23rd & Sunday 24th April 2016

Post by StephenDolan »

Humphrys being a complete twat with Khan. Interrupt, interrupt, interrupt.
Maeght
Committee Chair

Post by Maeght »

StephenDolan wrote:Humphrys being a complete twat with Khan. Interrupt, interrupt, interrupt.
Agree. Am shouting at radio.

Sadiq Khan is not a very good speaker but I think he did well here. I like him because he is a 'doer'.

And I will definitely be voting for him.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

StephenDolan wrote:Humphrys being a complete twat with Khan. Interrupt, interrupt, interrupt.
Lynton must have sent him a dead cat to throw on the table. Shockingly bad interview.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Morning.
MichaelWhite ‏@MichaelWhite 42m42 minutes ago
If Sadiq Khan can keep R4's John Humphrys in order ( he just did) perhaps he can do the same uppity property developers as London mayor ?
but before that ...
Tim Shipman ‏@ShippersUnbound 51m51 minutes ago
If Sadiq Khan is really 20pts ahead, why does he feel the need to try to put the extremism stuff to bed?
Working on the wild side.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

Universal Credit Tough love for low paid workers.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/patr ... are_btn_fb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Grieving Gander:

Things have progressed with finding a new companion for the gander who had lost his long term mate.

A lovely local lady offered a new 'young and beautiful' pal for the gander and she was installed with him a few days ago.

He is gradually calming down with his pecking and odd destructive behaviour. My friend says that yesterday morning when she went to check on them in their 'nest' area he came to the front and hissed. He's gone back into protect mode. He hasn't done that since his former mate died so, fingers crossed, it looks as though he's starting to feel a bit more like his old self.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Tory MPs pay themselves £20,000 each out of Brexit campaign cash

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/to ... 00-7807052
They just can't help themselves can they.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Morning.
If Sadiq Khan can keep R4's John Humphrys in order ( he just did) perhaps he can do the same uppity property developers as London mayor ?
but before that ...
If Sadiq Khan is really 20pts ahead, why does he feel the need to try to put the extremism stuff to bed?
What is Shipman on about? When quizzed repeatedly about extremism what choice does he have but talk about it? I thought Khan came across very well on R4 this morning, laid back and affable. Unfortunately, I thought David Owen came across very well, also, on why we should ignore Obama and leave the EU. On the other hand, Eddie Izzard argued well for "in" on HIGNFY last night. Very hard to guess which way this referendum is going to go, not good for either side as it will leave a decision either way under a cloud if there isn't a decisive majority for one or the other.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Well, Boris, it would seem you just failed the intelligence test
Andrew Rawnsley

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... CMP=twt_gu
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all. In the library today but got the time wrong so I;m waiting for it to open.

On the way here...come out of Holborn station, get into the middle without being run over by police bikes with flashing lights. Thinks this looks interesting so hung around.

More police bikes. Cars. Lots of cars. One with US flag....more limos...wait...that was Barak Obama!

Closest I'll ever get to a US president.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Willow904 wrote:
but before that ...
What is Shipman on about? When quizzed repeatedly about extremism what choice does he have but talk about it? I thought Khan came across very well on R4 this morning, laid back and affable. Unfortunately, I thought David Owen came across very well, also, on why we should ignore Obama and leave the EU. On the other hand, Eddie Izzard argued well for "in" on HIGNFY last night. Very hard to guess which way this referendum is going to go, not good for either side as it will leave a decision either way under a cloud if there isn't a decisive majority for one or the other.
Not that hard on past precedent, tbh. To have a chance of winning on the day, "leave" needs to get a significant lead for a period of time.

They haven't managed it so far - nor did "yes" in Scotland, with the expected ultimate result.

(and pollsters are already trying to take account of possible differential turnout)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

Willow904 wrote:
but before that ...

Morning all.I hope everyone is well today.
Regarding President Obama,I thought his points were quite valid and respectful,and not really deserving of the (expected) vitriol spewed forth by some of the brexiteers.
For it is they who have been saying that we could quickly form trade agreements with US.This reminded me so strongly of the Scottish indyref,when after Salmond told the country that there would be a currency union,he was told in no uncertain terms that there would not be.
This,we were told again and again,was bullying,lies etc,and would result in Scotland voting yes.
When I read the concerted no currency union statements,I thought,ok,that's the referendum lost for the Yes campaign.And it was.
So I am hoping that my feelings after this week,that the remain vote will win,will be proved right.
Feel sorry for all those people who have non xenophobic reasons for wanting to leave europe.They surely do not deserve the charlatans heading the out campaign.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

ohsocynical wrote:
Well, Boris, it would seem you just failed the intelligence test
Andrew Rawnsley

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... CMP=twt_gu
It doesn't seem to be haunting him as it should, though. All apparently forgotten (save for your reminder).
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

Oborne in the Mail reiterates his thoughts about the despicable Goldsmith campaign, and the illegal over spending in the run up to the 2015 GE.
This kind of politics is not just ugly, it is cynical, divisive and sectarian.

Only a political organisation which is losing touch with basic decency would seek to win votes in this way.

I believe that the battle for London’s mayoralty is the nastiest election campaign since 1983, when Peter Tatchell was Labour’s candidate in the by-election in Bermondsey and he was the victim of vile homophobic smears.

In addition to running a shameful London mayor campaign, the Cameron-led Conservative Party has been guilty of other morally disagreeable behaviour through the activities of the so-called ‘Tatler Tory’ Mark Clarke.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/artic ... z46e8khPjV" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However, he spoils it a bit by going on a pro Brexit rant. He also makes the dodgy claim that Labour decommissioned the Royal Yacht Britannia out of spite towards the Queen, :? when in fact Major's government had already decreed in 1994 that the yacht would have to be scrapped.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Junior doctors' strike will not put patients at risk, senior medics say

More than 2,5000 consultants, GPs and senior doctors sign letter backing all-out strike and promising to cover for colleagues (Guardian)
http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016 ... isk-senior
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Where are the calls for David Cameron to disown Boris Johnson (who is, lest we forget, a Conservative MP)? I'm sure that if a Labour MP had made similar comments (part-Kenyan etc) there would be loud calls from many sources demanding that Jeremy Corbyn "take action".

Edited

Typo
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

PorFavor wrote:Where are the calls for David Cameron to disown Boris Johnson (who is, lest we forget, a Conservative MP)? I'm sure that if a Labour MP had made similar comments (part-Kenyan etc) there would be loud calls from many sources demanding that Jeremy Corbyn "take action".

Edited

Typo
Oh, Boris doesn't count. He never means it, the dear old chap, it's just his way. Besides, he's a tory, not like those ghastly, leftie, Labour types.
The truth ferret speaks!
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

mbc1955 wrote:
PorFavor wrote:Where are the calls for David Cameron to disown Boris Johnson (who is, lest we forget, a Conservative MP)? I'm sure that if a Labour MP had made similar comments (part-Kenyan etc) there would be loud calls from many sources demanding that Jeremy Corbyn "take action".

Edited

Typo
Oh, Boris doesn't count. He never means it, the dear old chap, it's just his way. Besides, he's a tory, not like those ghastly, leftie, Labour types.
Ha!

It infuriates me that Boris Johnson, and the Conservatives, are given a sort of arm's-length protection by virtue of his usually being referred to as the Mayor of London (and sometimes as a Telegraph columnist). Rarely is he referred to as the Conservative MP for Uxbridge and South Ruislip.

Edited to add -

And he is more immediately "irrelevant" (as he is the outgoing Mayor of London) than the "Out" camp would have us believe is the "outgoing" President of the USA.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tory Election Expense Scandal Grows
http://zelo-street.blogspot.co.uk/2016/ ... grows.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
While Michael Crick of Channel 4 News has been focusing on the RoadTrip 2015 aspects of the Tories’ last General Election campaign, and the possibility that spending limits had been breached, in and around London, the party’s use of University students as evening canvassers may have been in contravention of the Representation of the People Act 1983, which specifically outlaws payment or inducement for canvassing...
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Mischievous letter in Radio Times this week, pic of it linked below.

For weeks Radio Times has been running letters from readers angry that Whittingdale has ignored 9,000 of their letters expressing their views about the future of the BBC.

HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/education/20 ... ens-speech" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tory MPs call for compulsory academies plan to be dropped from Queen’s speech
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Grrr....Plaid led Ceredigion Council have employed PricewaterhouseCooper to 'develop plans to assist with financial challenges facing the authority'.

Looks like privatising car parks and other services is being discussed.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

As I Please
Written By: Martin Rowson

http://www.tribunemagazine.org/2016/04/ ... -rowson-5/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

yahyah wrote:Grrr....Plaid led Ceredigion Council have employed PricewaterhouseCooper to 'develop plans to assist with financial challenges facing the authority'.

Looks like privatising car parks and other services is being discussed.
Have they not noticed that this stuff rarely works out well?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Brainwaves – Chris Proctor

http://www.tribunemagazine.org/2016/04/ ... proctor-6/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Stop using USB sticks to move kids' data, auditor tells Education Dept
UK.gov told to sharpen up over handling of database with 20 million children's info

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/04/22 ... processes/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Whitehall waste: Cash splashed on consultants and temps up 90% in half decade

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/04/22 ... hall_soar/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cost of everything, value of nothing.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

I imagine AK's rather happy right now.
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor

Post by mbc1955 »

He's not the only one!
The truth ferret speaks!
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

HindleA wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/education/20 ... ens-speech

This can be counted as yet another big FAIL for Osborne - for it was HIS policy, announced by HIM in HIS budget - which none of us could understand at the time but clearly he - the supposed master strategist - thought it was a masterstroke, a very clever wheeze - probably designed to divert attention from something he didn't want us to focus on.

Hope even the Tories are now realising how useless he is. Anyone would think he was under the influence of something when he comes up with these ideas ...
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Will proof of major election fraud end the Conservative Government?
http://voxpoliticalonline.com/2016/04/2 ... overnment/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Probably not - because the establishment will fall in behind them. But Mike Sivier is saying if push comes to shove he would crowdfund to take them to court over it ...
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

rebeccariots2 wrote:

This can be counted as yet another big FAIL for Osborne - for it was HIS policy, announced by HIM in HIS budget - which none of us could understand at the time but clearly he - the supposed master strategist - thought it was a masterstroke, a very clever wheeze - probably designed to divert attention from something he didn't want us to focus on.

Hope even the Tories are now realising how useless he is. Anyone would think he was under the influence of something when he comes up with these ideas ...
Hmm...I'm still not certain it was his. I know it was in his Budget but in his Autumn Statement it only said about "helping" he remaining secondary schools to convert - nothing about force and nothing about primaries.

I still suspect the hand of Ms R.Wolf at No 10 behind this. It was only in the press in July that she was returning from the US, so post-election.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

21,800 postal ballot papers scrapped...and other news

As the Herald reports, the potential for electoral chaos is on the cards with over 20,000 postal ballot papers for the Regional Assembly election being scrapped, at unknown cost, after an error was discovered. The ballot papers cover three counties and the error, in the instructions of how to vote, was not detected until they'd been sent out. Ceredigion, Preseli Pembrokeshire, and Carmarthen West and South Pembs being the areas affected, Carms East and Dinefwr, Llanelli, are not.

The Electoral Commission declared that the error was misleading for voters and despite the Returning Officer Mark James, legally responsible for the smooth running of the regional vote, seeking advice from 'the leading QC in the country' the papers had to be reprinted.

The Returning Officer, who can receive a fee of up to £4,730 for each constituency, blamed the mess on a 'most unfortunate error by the printers' which is interesting as it could be assumed perhaps that the printers would print the template given to them, not be responsible for the actual content.

Anyway, the problem now is that many of those who received a postal vote ballot paper may have already voted. Their vote will not count and they will have to vote again when the new papers, and new prepaid envelopes, arrive. Many who vote by post are elderly or vulnerable people and this mess could cause confusion and, at the very least, a reluctance to trek out to the postbox to recast their vote...
http://carmarthenplanning.blogspot.co.u ... edand.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

Poor old Chloe Smith was just the warm-up act for Nicky Morgan, it turns out.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

What happened between 2 and 5 PM today? :shock:

Yes, today's football does not displease me given that this season has been rather trying generally ;)
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor

Post by mbc1955 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:What happened between 2 and 5 PM today? :shock:

Yes, today's football does not displease me given that this season has been rather trying generally ;)
I got my hair cut, if you really must know.
The truth ferret speaks!
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Just remembered...Nicky Morgan has to go before the Commons Education Committee to discuss the White Paper on Wednesday.

Could be interesting given they were a bit lukewarm over academies and decidedly not happy with DfE finances.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Channel 10 from 14.30

http://www.parliamentlive.tv/Guide" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Very sceptical of 'focus group' lore (with good reason I believe) but this is quite a funny read from Lord Ashcroft ...
At first glance, most in our groups saw leaving as a change and remaining as the status quo: “we know what ‘in’ is like”. When prompted with the thought, the idea that the EU itself might change – and would not necessarily stay as the devil we knew – was quite powerful. The most easily imagined change, and a worrying one for many, was expansion, particularly if it included Turkey: “when we joined it was six countries, a completely different animal”. The argument that remaining in the EU also involved change did not reverse the balance of risk, but evened things up somewhat.

This point was articulated this week in a speech by Michael Gove. We played a clip, which confirmed that the Justice Secretary was far from forgotten. “Is he the guy who kicked off all this schools business and then walked away from it? And now he’s come out against Cameron?” “I wouldn’t trust him.” “After what he did to education I could hang him up by his bollocks.”
http://www.conservativehome.com/platfor ... endum.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

I've just picked up on this guff from Toby Young.
The best argument for converting local authority schools to academies is that it shifts power over what’s taught in the school and how away from politicians and bureaucrats and towards headteachers and school governors.
http://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/regul ... -academies

FFS! He's just a DfE mouthpiece.

No doubt when they back down he'll claim he was against it all the time.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Joint letter on the way to Jeremy Hunt from Heidi Alexander, Dan Poulter, Philippa Whitford, and Norman Lamb proposing a way forward.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

One of those rare occasions when I couldn't think of anything much to say, so I wandered off to make bread. :roll:
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

I might have posted something in that period, but have been out for most of the day :)
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

mbc1955 wrote:

I got my hair cut, if you really must know.
So did Mr Ohso. By me. I didn't even get a tip.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

In my defence, I was in the library and actually did some work!
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor

Post by mbc1955 »

Anyway, the game didn't kick-off until 5.15pm. It was very odd. It reminded me of watching Manchester United.
The truth ferret speaks!
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

I'm very contented.

As friends here know, I'm very pro-EU. But I've been really upset by the idea that voting Remain would somehow look like a victory for Dodgy Dave.

Now it's cool. It was Obama wot won it. I'll vote Remain with a light heart.

And bye bye Boris :twisted:
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1432861 ... volunteers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Labour Press
Labour calls Commons vote on new Police volunteers

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016 ... ous-crimes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/law/2016/apr ... epresented" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Legal aid cuts have led to surge in DIY defence, says charity