Monday 25th April 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Monday 25th April 2016

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 25th April 2016

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
BHS to file for administration, putting 11,000 jobs at risk

4 minutes ago
From the section (BBC News website)
Edited to add the link -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36123444
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

PorFavor wrote:Good morfternoon.

4 minutes ago
Feels rather inevitable as they've rather sunk from sight and don't have much of a USP. Will hope that staff can find other jobs - and also that the stores aren't all bought up on the cheap by Sports Direct as I heard the other day. That's a business I'd like not to expand massively given its treatment of workers.
Working on the wild side.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

4 minutes ago
Feels rather inevitable as they've rather sunk from sight and don't have much of a USP. Will hope that staff can find other jobs - and also that the stores aren't all bought up on the cheap by Sports Direct as I heard the other day. That's a business I'd like not to expand massively given its treatment of workers.

Yes - BHS isn't a shop I ever think of when I'm looking for products (although I'm fairly sure they would stock them if I looked). They've always (in my shopping lifetime, at least) been a bit of a poor relation to other outlets with a rather depressing air about them. All the same, as you say, I feel for the people whose jobs are at risk.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

PorFavor wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

Yes - BHS isn't a shop I ever think of when I'm looking for products (although I'm fairly sure they would stock them if I looked). They've always (in my shopping lifetime, at least) been a bit of a poor relation to other outlets with a rather depressing air about them. All the same, as you say, I feel for the people whose jobs are at risk.
Where else would you buy a table lamp? ;-)
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Jo Stevens MP ‏@JoStevensLabour 2m2 minutes ago
Awful news for 11,000 BHS staff & BHS pensioners. That £160+ million that Phillip Green paid himself pre sale seems more obscene than ever
Pension scheme in trouble too then .... even more people who must be worried sick.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: Feels rather inevitable as they've rather sunk from sight and don't have much of a USP. Will hope that staff can find other jobs - and also that the stores aren't all bought up on the cheap by Sports Direct as I heard the other day. That's a business I'd like not to expand massively given its treatment of workers.

That used to be the case, I agree. They were known for their lighting. But it hasn't been like that for some time IMO.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Matt Chorley ‏@MattChorley 1m1 minute ago
Tory MP tells me academies plan is "f****** poison". Up to 40 rebels. DfE admits they don't have numbers. http://bit.ly/1MSbmSs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What possessed Osborne, Cameron and Morgan? They're not just out of touch with the majority of the country ... they're now out of touch with their own party MPs and councillors.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

HuffPostUK Politics ‏@HuffPostUKPol 3m3 minutes ago
Junior doctor resigns live on air as medics plan to go ahead with first all-out strike http://huff.to/1UbO0so" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: Feels rather inevitable as they've rather sunk from sight and don't have much of a USP. Will hope that staff can find other jobs - and also that the stores aren't all bought up on the cheap by Sports Direct as I heard the other day. That's a business I'd like not to expand massively given its treatment of workers.

Well, yes -

but they are the last place I would think of (if I thought of them at all). They are not in my "shopping consciousness", if you know what I mean.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Twitter is fuming at Nick Robinson.

Anyone catch it?
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Junior doctor resigns live on air as medics plan to go ahead with first all-out strike http://huff.to/1UbO0so" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And guess who they had on to put the other, pro-government, side of the argument?
Edwina f**king Currie.
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Morning, all.

I put up a little thing on Welfare and Benefits yesterday about DWP's In Work Progression (sic) for Universal Credit, and now I find the link doesn't work. Sigh. I'm useless at this. Also, if anyone missed it yesterday, it's well worth looking at Tom London's blog. And no, I won't attempt a linky.....

Anyway! On to today - the Sparrow has headlined his blog today with "Gove and Johnson launch Brexit fightback". Oh dearie me.
This is going to get even more surreal as time goes on.

I wonder what will happen to their political careers if we all vote to Remain?
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Twitter is fuming at Nick Robinson.

Anyone catch it?
Yes, I did. Interviewed a patient, chair of RCS and BMA. Hectoring, aggressive and frankly disgraceful. Just trotted out the Tory line. We're no longer surprised by this; maybe others are catching on.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

The DfE "clmibdown" over forced academisation is hardly worthy of the name - simply talk of allowing "successful" LAs to spin off their schools into a MAT. Who decides "successful"? Why, Nicky Morgan of course...

And this.

Richard Adams ‏@RichardA 4m4 minutes ago
@kalinski1970 @SchoolDuggery and council-run MATs will have more control over member schools than over current maintained ones.

What an utter farce. Back to the pre-Local Management of Schools days!
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

frightful_oik wrote:

Anyone catch it?
Yes, I did. Interviewed a patient, chair of RCS and BMA. Hectoring, aggressive and frankly disgraceful. Just trotted out the Tory line. We're no longer surprised by this; maybe others are catching on.
Not sure whether to listen later to this then, can I put up with the induced fume?
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

StephenDolan wrote:
frightful_oik wrote:

Anyone catch it?
Not sure whether to listen later to this then, can I put up with the induced fume?
Well, if you want a good 'GGGGAAAAAAAAAAA' moment it's well worth it. :fire: Just before and after the 8 o' clock news.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

IDS has gorn and done it again - he's got foot-in-mouth disease, I tell you!

Apparently, the perfectly reasonable reason why Boris Johnson opined that Obama being half-Kenyan was a bad thing is, according to IDS (who has Japanese, Chinese, and Canadian relations) that having a Kenyan father means Obama has "a lack of regard for the UK".

Never mind that Obama was born/educated/employed in the US and lived there all his life, it's the long-gone Kenyan father who is the root of his "lack of regard for the UK". Which is a thing that Obama has never, ever, ever demonstrated in any way.

D'oh.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

ephemerid wrote:IDS has gorn and done it again - he's got foot-in-mouth disease, I tell you!

Apparently, the perfectly reasonable reason why Boris Johnson opined that Obama being half-Kenyan was a bad thing is, according to IDS (who has Japanese, Chinese, and Canadian relations) that having a Kenyan father means Obama has "a lack of regard for the UK".

Never mind that Obama was born/educated/employed in the US and lived there all his life, it's the long-gone Kenyan father who is the root of his "lack of regard for the UK". Which is a thing that Obama has never, ever, ever demonstrated in any way.

D'oh.
Unbelievable.

While he's no saint and there have been disappointments, surely Obama has to be judged as a class act and I imagine there are plenty from all across the political spectrum who see that. Boris and IDS by having a pop at him just make themselves look like petty, small-minded bigots. Oh....

Actually, I remember staying up for Obama's re-election result. It was far from certain if I recall and a truly exciting night as it became clear he'd done enough. In some ways even more exhilarating than his first election.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

IDS is being a bit harsh saying government forecasts are usually wrong. He's able to demonstrate that the Universal Credit rollout is on time all year round.

One day in Spring when it's reset and one day in Winter when it's reset.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Matt Chorley ‏@MattChorley 1m1 minute ago
Tory MP tells me academies plan is "f****** poison". Up to 40 rebels. DfE admits they don't have numbers. http://bit.ly/1MSbmSs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What possessed Osborne, Cameron and Morgan? They're not just out of touch with the majority of the country ... they're now out of touch with their own party MPs and councillors.
Osborne thought it would be a great budget wheeze, didn't he?

No doubt he anticipated it would "put Labour on the spot", but it rather backfired in that regard - even Blairites weren't willing to back it (and in fairness to our former PM, even though he started the "academies" concept it was *never* intended to be used the way the Tories have tried to do)
Last edited by AnatolyKasparov on Mon 25 Apr, 2016 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Anyone catch it?
Haven't been there yet....
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

StephenDolan wrote:IDS is being a bit harsh saying government forecasts are usually wrong. He's able to demonstrate that the Universal Credit rollout is on time all year round.

One day in Spring when it's reset and one day in Winter when it's reset.

The Blessed Iain of Dungcan Shite is a martyr to his causes!

Whenever it is required, he drops down from on high to educate the little people, and it matters not what he said last week.
Or last night.
"The one thing I have learnt since being in government is that almost every single forecast is probably wrong".
Except his, obviously.

Then - "I was work and pensions secretary and I can tell you now that what happens is an awful lot of people from the European Union come here and actually compete hugely with lots of British people who are in the jobcentres trying to do jobs that basically they can do, low-skilled, non-skilled jobs...."

Way to go, plonker.

So the Brits are after the low-skilled non-skilled jobs they can do because they are all unskilled morons, but because the Europeans nick all these useless jobs (despite not being Brits who are unskilled morons), the Brits in the jobcentres (who are unskilled morons) don't get the jobs because they are unskilled morons - so obviously the thing to do is sanction the Brits, tell us all that 75% of them welcome their sanctions (which IDS made up), then say all the sanctioned Brits have found work because of the sanctions (which IDS made up) so none of the above is in any way true (because IDS made it up).

You couldn't make it up.

Oh.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

danesclose wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
And guess who they had on to put the other, pro-government, side of the argument?
Edwina f**king Currie.
I suppose it says something that she was the "best" they could do :D
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

RobertSnozers wrote:There's a lot of debate about whether the BBC is pro/anti-government or has left/rightwing bias, with some complexity on both sides, but one area where the BBC remains stalwartly rightwing and pro-establishment is in the field of business and labour relations. The likes of Today is always going to come at something like the junior doctors' strike with an air of horror.

I've long since come to the conclusion that Hunt would very much like there to be a catastrophe in the NHS that he can blame on the militant doctors and impose all kinds of centralised controls 'for the public good'. He was a poor choice to follow Andrew Lansley for all sorts of reasons, not least of them in that Lansley, for all his many, many failings did have a genuine desire to loosen government control on the day to day running of the NHS - which completely runs against Hunt's instincts.
I've seen a few mentions in the media of the junior doctors '48hr strike', as I understand it the strike is from 8-5 two successive days.

I can't see any point in any further action after this, I did have some hope that Cameron and Osborne would recognise public opinion was against them and tell Hunt to back off, but it seems clear now that won't happen. The junior doctors will vote with their feet as their individual situations demand and the english NHS is stuffed.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Re: BHS. They had a large branch in Reading. It was closed down and the building sold some time ago. Primark have bought it.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

ohsocynical wrote:Re: BHS. They had a large branch in Reading. It was closed down and the building sold some time ago. Primark have bought it.
Yes, apart from the lighting BHS is essentially higher-priced Primark. Better quality too* but that's not what the people who shop there want, it seems.

*though that's not saying much
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

This weekend it suddenly became clear to me that, in overseeing the end of the NHS, Hunt, far from being rotten at his job, is making a good fist of it.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

gilsey wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:Re: BHS. They had a large branch in Reading. It was closed down and the building sold some time ago. Primark have bought it.
Yes, apart from the lighting BHS is essentially higher-priced Primark. Better quality too* but that's not what the people who shop there want, it seems.

Once upon a time, if you couldn't afford M&S prices, the next best place was BHS. Still decent quality but cheaper. Then if you were wanting even cheaper you went to Littlewoods.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Yes, same in Bath. BHS had a prime location just up from M&S. It's now a Primark. I used to shop in BHS sometimes, but not easy to do when it's a Primark. I wonder if there's a connection between selling off stores in prime locations and falling sales.....
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

gilsey wrote:

Luckily, Mrs. Sir (Philip) Green has lots and lots of money to make life comfortable for her poor husband, because she owns Arcadia and all the subsidiary companies - except BHS, which was sold last year for £1.

As they while away their sadness on their brand-new yacht, which cost a mere £100 Million (or one of the others - they have three), or jet off to their Monaco home in their Gulfstream jet, they'll be avoiding more tax.

Luckily for Philip, he's got another job - advising the government on spending cuts.
So he won't have to join 11,000 of his erstwhile staff at the Jobcentre, will he?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

The strike by the junior doctors is "designed to bring down the Government" according to Jeremy Hunt (says Norman Smith - BBC TV news). Must be true, given who said it.

Let's hope that boosts the support for the doctors, then.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

ohsocynical wrote:This weekend it suddenly became clear to me that, in overseeing the end of the NHS, Hunt, far from being rotten at his job, is making a good fist of it.

He is very good at his job - given that his job is to destroy what's left of the NHS.

Whatever happens to his political career, he is set up for life - despite already being a multi-millionaire.

This is what pisses me off most about this current crop of Tories - they are all incredibly wealthy, but their policies now have gone beyond ideology in my view.
They don't want "small state" government, which is what they claim their ideology is all about - if anything, they are more inclined to state intervention than Labour are.
The reason for it is sheer self-interest. They want a corporate state, as long as they are richly compensated for handing over our country to the corporations which will pay them.

Why their supporters and voters appear to be blind to this is a total mystery to me.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

The government is presiding over failures, disasters and chaos. And yet they sail merrily on. What's happening to this country? Why is the press so calm about it all? Why isn't the population more frightened and, more importantly, angry?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Damn! I had some profound thoughts this weekend.

Re Lord Sugar's attack on Sadiq and Labour, he - Sugar - said we didn't want to go back to the days when the best brains left the country.

He didn't, so obviously wasn't.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PorFavor wrote:The government is presiding over failures, disasters and chaos. And yet they sail merrily on. What's happening to this country? Why is the press so calm about it all? Why isn't the population more frightened and, more importantly, angry?
I know you should never look back, but I can't help comparing the media's mediocre coverage of what's happening today, with how it would have been some years ago.
Major's government saw some truly hysterical coverage.
And Keeler and Profumo? Days and days of headlines. And that was back when we were more tightly laced when it came to airing emotions and dirty goings on, in public.
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

PorFavor wrote:The government is presiding over failures, disasters and chaos. And yet they sail merrily on. What's happening to this country? Why is the press so calm about it all? Why isn't the population more frightened and, more importantly, angry?
Remember that catch phrase the Tories were using before the 2015 GE?

'Competence versus chaos' - what a bloody joke. They're the most chaotic, destructive, shambolic government in living memory.

Even Tory voters are gradually waking up to how terrible they are. Browsing the comments in the Mail illustrates that, although unfortunately they're usually banging on about voting UKIP instead.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Hillsborough coroner willing to accept a majority verdict on unlawful killing question.

Can't be long now.
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

ohsocynical wrote:
I know you should never look back, but I can't help comparing the media's mediocre coverage of what's happening today, with how it would have been some years ago.
Major's government saw some truly hysterical coverage.
And Keeler and Profumo? Days and days of headlines. And that was back when we were more tightly laced when it came to airing emotions and dirty goings on, in public.
We're badly let down by our media - and the worst culprit is the BBC, sadly.

Social media compensates for some of the deficit of proper news coverage.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Does anyone have any news on how TobyLatimer is doing?

@TobyLatimer

Hello (if you're tuned in)! I'm wishing you well.

Also - I haven't seen citizenJA for a while.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

I think a lot of the sort of people who voted the Tories in last year are currently suffering from some degree of cognitive dissonance, and are still unwilling to fully accept that they can see happening in front of them is actually really taking place.

(you can also see this in Scotland, with those who invested all their hopes in the SNP last year still totally willing to explain away their increasingly obvious failings)

In both cases, you would have to hope the penny will drop eventually though? And if and when it does, all bets are really off......
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:I think a lot of the sort of people who voted the Tories in last year are currently suffering from some degree of cognitive dissonance, and are still unwilling to fully accept that they can see happening in front of them is actually really taking place.

(you can also see this in Scotland, with those who invested all their hopes in the SNP last year still totally willing to explain away their increasingly obvious failings)

In both cases, you would have to hope the penny will drop eventually though? And if and when it does, all bets are really off......
You'd think the balls-up they're making of the NHS in England would provide some sort of tipping point - but even that doesn't seem to have provided the impetus for people to shake off their indifference and\or acceptance.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

But then again, as we keep saying the MSM (and especially the BBC, unlike the papers still trusted as "objective" by far too many) aren't exactly going to town on it.

Which means that the "tipping point" will have to come through people's personal experiences. Which will inevitably be a slower process.

(regarding cJA, btw - looks like they were last active on here Friday evening; hope they are OK)
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Oh this is just horrible from Kirkup

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04 ... ir-strike/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the-tragic-naivety-of-immature-junior-doctors-and-their-strike
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:But then again, as we keep saying the MSM (and especially the BBC, unlike the papers still trusted as "objective" by far too many) aren't exactly going to town on it.

Which means that the "tipping point" will have to come through people's personal experiences. Which will inevitably be a slower process.

(regarding cJA, btw - looks like they were last active on here Friday evening; hope they are OK)

But will people be minded to blame the NHS or minded to blame the Government? It worries me that people are in the habit of accepting that nothing is the Government's fault - "it's out of our hands" is the Government's line of defence on most things and people, despite saying that they want a strong government, don't seem to consider that a fault.

Edited

"minded" for "persuaded"
Last edited by PorFavor on Mon 25 Apr, 2016 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

StephenDolan wrote:Hillsborough coroner willing to accept a majority verdict on unlawful killing question.

Can't be long now.
According to the BBC, the jury have reached a verdict which will be delivered at 11 am tomorrow morning.
Remember reading this edition of WSC thinking it could have happened to any football fan - not long afterwards I was involved in a crush at Villa Park which fortunately turned out OK.
2016-04-25_135107.jpg
2016-04-25_135107.jpg (172.26 KiB) Viewed 6125 times
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Anyone catch it?

Yes, and it was a shocker. He seemed hellbent on telling Radio 4 listeners there would be no emergency cover.
The BMA doc put him right, that emergency cover would come from senior doctors.
That seemed to infuriate Robinson and instead of apologising for his scaring the bejaysus out of people with untruths he just went even more on the attack.

Am feeling this is all a little close to home, uncomfortably so.
Have had hugely swollen feet, ankles and legs in the last twenty four hours. That's not happened before.
My pharmacist says to contact the doctor, have phoned the surgery and am awaiting my doc to ring.
:(
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Just completed my correct postal vote forms, three of them.

On one of them for the Welsh Assembly- under UKIP, appears the name Mostyn Neil Hamilton !
Bet he never used Mostyn when he stood in Tatton for the Tories. Plain old Neil was probably good enough then.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Oh Bollox. I asked my husband to check my voting papers as am not very well.
He's pointed out I've put the numerals 1 and 2 for my Labour first choice & Plaid second choice instead of X's against the party.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Éoin ‏@LabourEoin 1h1 hour ago
Oops. For the second month running, Jeremy Corbyn tops the leader polls. I apologise in advance if this upsets you.