Friday 29th April 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Friday 29th April 2016

Post by StephenDolan »

Morning all.

'The Haavara Agreement is an instance where the question of Jewish rights, Zionist needs and individual rescue were in deep tension. Jewish organizations outside of Germany had declared a boycott against German goods and hoped to delegitimate the Nazi regime. The Zionists saw this agreement as a way of attracting Jews to Palestine and thus rescuing them from the Nazi universe even if that meant cooperation with Hitler'

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jso ... 08075.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Well I found it an interesting read.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Re: Friday 29th April 2016

Post by StephenDolan »

RobertSnozers wrote:Morning all.

Another depressing one. Just after I'd developed a bit of new respect for Andy Burnham, he has to go and ruin it by being top story on BBC news for all the wrong reasons. I'm not sure how Corbyn could have acted any faster over Livingstone's deeply idiotic outburst. It smacks of Burnham looking to his own reputation above that of the party.
Indeed. I'd be interested to hear what the timeline of events and reaction by the leadership should have been according to Burnham.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Another depressing one. Just after I'd developed a bit of new respect for Andy Burnham, he has to go and ruin it by being top story on BBC news for all the wrong reasons. I'm not sure how Corbyn could have acted any faster over Livingstone's deeply idiotic outburst. It smacks of Burnham looking to his own reputation above that of the party.
Livingstone comments made mid morning .... gone by the time I got home from work at 3pm. That seems pretty darn quick to me. And, of course, the decision is not just made by Corbyn. As I understand it ... it requires more than him.
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

James O'Brien ‏@mrjamesob 4m4 minutes ago
ITV to screen Jimmy McGovern's Hillsborough this Sunday http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-04- ... his-sunday" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … via @radiotimes
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

It's worth looking at the timeline of what happened to Aidan Burley over the stag do affair.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aidan_Bur ... ontroversy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No withdrawing of the whip and no suspension from the party that I can see and he was allowed to continue as an MP for the next 4 years.

Usual hypocrisy from the right.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

Livingstone comments made mid morning .... gone by the time I got home from work at 3pm. That seems pretty darn quick to me. And, of course, the decision is not just made by Corbyn. As I understand it ... it requires more than him.
The BBC report is worded to make it sound like Burnham's responding specifically about Livingstone. Elsewhere it's framed slightly differently.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/so ... -‘quickly
“These allegations, when they are surfacing, are not being dealt with properly and quickly enough. They need to be dealt with much more speedily in the future,” he said.
But he added: “We are the party that for decades has promoted equality and fought discrimination. Jeremy Corbyn has done that all his political life if you look at his record.
“If I thought for one second that I as was a member of a anti-Semitic party I would cut up my membership card, right here, right now. I don’t believe that is the case.”
Did anyone watch it on qt ?
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Latest EU factcheck from 38 degrees. I'm sharing it here because I have no facebook friends :)

https://speakout.38degrees.org.uk/campa ... paign=par1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/housing-netw ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The wheels are finally coming off this half-baked, ideological housing bill
Dawn Foster
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.parliament.uk/business/commi ... hed-15-16/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PAC Report into the extension of Right to Buy.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

If - horrors - the current polls for the London mayoralty prove to be very wide of the mark - any small, creeping increase in the trust I might have in polls will be completely extinguished. I'll also be utterly at a loss to explain how Goldsmith could triumph after his *campaign* without resorting to theories which include money, MSM and sad reflections on public awareness and values.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

"I have to drink this? So how do I hold it - like this?"

rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:"I have to drink this? So how do I hold it - like this?"

It's a good catch.

Someone has also posted a pic of him with his coat buttoned up into his suit jacket by mistake which also looks pretty funny.

I'm slightly wary of finding these images comic though lest we be guilty of 'bacon sandwiching' someone. I'd much rather see a good take down of his policies for London - of which I've seen very little reported.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

RogerOThornhill wrote:Morning all.

It's worth looking at the timeline of what happened to Aidan Burley over the stag do affair.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aidan_Bur ... ontroversy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No withdrawing of the whip and no suspension from the party that I can see and he was allowed to continue as an MP for the next 4 years.

Zing!

Predictable response from our chums.

Hook, line and sinker...what a pair.

:lol:

Right - off to the library. Lots to do. Catch you later.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

MichaelWhite ‏@MichaelWhite 2h2 hours ago

Will someone point out to the idiots that latest anti Semitism row was launched by Tory blogger, Guido Fawkes & promoted by Mail on Sunday
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

It's a good catch.

Someone has also posted a pic of him with his coat buttoned up into his suit jacket by mistake which also looks pretty funny.

I'm slightly wary of finding these images comic though lest we be guilty of 'bacon sandwiching' someone. I'd much rather see a good take down of his policies for London - of which I've seen very little reported.
So no Jellied Eel eating competition then?
(Maybe Tubby Issac could provide )
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

I wonder how Seeingclearly's getting on?
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

What's the overlap between Progress members and the recent public critics of Corbyn? Just wondering.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Isobel
‏@Isobel_waby

It transpires allegedly John Mann and Michael Dugher tipped off BBC to have cameras rolling.. they should be suspended planned bullying.
Anybody heard about this? I sincerely hope it's not true. It would blow Labour apart.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ohsocynical wrote:
Isobel
‏@Isobel_waby
It transpires allegedly John Mann and Michael Dugher tipped off BBC to have cameras rolling.. they should be suspended planned bullying.

David Batley ‏@DBFole13 52m52 minutes ago
@Isobel_waby @watyle The question is How did JM know exactly where KL would be at that given moment.Just happened to be passing I think not

Phil ‏@bilks 45m45 minutes ago
@Isobel_waby @Mickryder5
It wud have been some coincidence for the media & cameras 2b there just as the Mann attack started!
Anybody heard about this? I sincerely hope it's not true. It would blow Labour apart.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

HindleA wrote:http://www.parliament.uk/business/commi ... hed-15-16/

PAC Report into the extension of Right to Buy.
Report summary
The policy of extending Right to Buy discounts to tenants of housing associations, funded by the sale of high-value council housing, has potentially significant impacts for both local authorities and tenants of social housing, especially in areas where house prices are high.

Despite the implications and complexity of this policy, the Department has not published a detailed impact assessment to inform Parliament's consideration of its legislative proposals.

Many key policy details have not been clarified, with the Department offering only vague assurances as to how this policy will be funded, without producing any figures to demonstrate that additional funding from central or local government will not be required.

Other concerns remain, including the extent to which the new homes funded by this policy will be genuine replacements for those sold, and whether there will be sufficient controls to prevent abuse of the scheme given the significant discounts proposed for housing association tenants wishing to buy.
Business as usual then.
(my bold)
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

ohsocynical wrote:
Isobel
‏@Isobel_waby

I saw something about it on twitter last night, with someone saying it wasn't true, sorry I can't remember who.

But AFAIK Ken was surrounded by press and Mann chose to go and berate him at that time, so what's the difference really?
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Yes, I think that has been pretty strongly denied by the broadcasters - though as already said the question is a bit moot with Mann anyway.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Yes, I think that has been pretty strongly denied by the broadcasters - though as already said the question is a bit moot with Mann anyway.

Last night on Twitter, there were one or two mentions of LK and when she manipulated the news. I think it's made a lot of people wary.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Yes, I think the Beeb certainly has a case to answer over the Doughty business.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Ha! Not only is there a Readers edition but a special Friday blog.

Labour antisemitism crisis: party deals with fallout of Livingstone suspension

http://gu.com/p/4tm4q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

The sickening campaign to silence Corbyn and the Left by exploiting victims of the Holocaust
http://www.thecanary.co/2016/04/28/how- ... +Canary%29
For enemies of Corbyn and the progressive left to leverage this into a sickening smear campaign against all those who stand against prejudice – to abuse the memory of holocaust victims for their own political ends – is almost beneath our contempt. We denounce these appalling tactics in the strongest terms. They are repulsive and repugnant, and they have no place in our public conversation.
The Canary exists to confront anti-semitism. Not only anti-semitism, but all prejudice, whether based on race, sexuality, gender or anything else. Which is more than can be said for those promoting the campaign against Corbyn and the progressive wing of the Labour party right now. If you agree, make this stand with us. Call out prejudice wherever you find it, and let’s have the same policy for bullshit too.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RobertSnozers wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:Morning all.

I would expect nothing less.
Good morning, everyone

Hang on, everybody, live to see the end of bad government and the conscientious government elected replacing it.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

StephenDolan wrote:Ha! Not only is there a Readers edition but a special Friday blog.

Labour antisemitism crisis: party deals with fallout of Livingstone suspension

http://gu.com/p/4tm4q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's the Viner era Graun all over, innit?

A commendably sensible and rational editorial on the subject this morning, and then this mindless clickbait stuff - "crisis", FFS :toss:
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Snowing again. Only patchy but damn it's cold. Hailstones now. Bloody hell!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:I wonder how Seeingclearly's getting on?
I don't know.
Seeingclearly, I hope you're healing and getting your needs met.
I look forward to reading your writing here soon.

love
cJA
:rock:
:heart:
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
image - cJA edit
It's a good catch.

(my bolds)

I'm more than wary, I'm disgusted by manipulative media
cute, comic Zac Goldsmith
Goldsmith is chronically dishonourable, lies habitually and forgets his history when convenient
Look how cute Zac is!
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Livingstone has led a charmed life for a while tbf (remember the Lutfur Rahman business, for instance) and I think there is a good chance he will be expelled from the party after due process (whilst it is surely virtually certain Naz Shah - who some pundits are now comparing favourably with Ken - will get the opportunity for redemption) I expect it is very likely he will not now be allowed to stand for this year's NEC elections, at the very least.

He was a formidable and highly gifted political operator at his peak, for all his flaws. It is a terribly sad way for things to end.
Last edited by AnatolyKasparov on Fri 29 Apr, 2016 1:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

citizenJA wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
image - cJA edit
It's a good catch.

(my bolds)

Goldsmith is chronically dishonourable, lies habitually and forgets his history when convenient
Look how cute Zac is!
I'm wondering how much of a 'realignment' there'll be of funding, infrastructure, housing etc if Khan wins.

One part of the Humphrys interview that stuck in my mind in a positive manner was building on land as leasehold to control terms.
GetYou
Minister of State

Post by GetYou »

http://www.24dash.com/news/housing/2016 ... ght-to-Buy
The approach to paying for this policy seems to be entirely speculative. On the basis of evidence heard by our Committee, there are no costings or workings out. We are not talking about a ‘back of an envelope’ calculation – there is no envelope at all.
Ouch.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tony Blair courted Chinese leaders for Saudi prince's oil firm

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... east-envoy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I saw this headline last night prior turning off the computer and honestly thought someone at the G was having a laugh
China and Saudi Arabia - current Tory government's relationship with both make Blair look adorable in comparison
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

GetYou wrote:http://www.24dash.com/news/housing/2016 ... ght-to-Buy
The approach to paying for this policy seems to be entirely speculative. On the basis of evidence heard by our Committee, there are no costings or workings out. We are not talking about a ‘back of an envelope’ calculation – there is no envelope at all.
Ouch.
But Blair courted the Chinese for Saudi Arabia
Labour has an "_______" problem
Mangled Burnham quotes
why Labour's shrubbery and Corbyn's front door rose bush placement are a problem for Ed Miliband, by DH
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

StephenDolan wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: It's a good catch.

(my bolds)

Look how cute Zac is!
I'm wondering how much of a 'realignment' there'll be of funding, infrastructure, housing etc if Khan wins.

One part of the Humphrys interview that stuck in my mind in a positive manner was building on land as leasehold to control terms.
Thank you for pointing me to the interview
I've no doubt Khan will make an excellent London Mayor

Have you seen this?
Tories try to link Sadiq Khan to antisemitism row despite condemnation

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 06261.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Of course Tories try to do this - Who's Zac Goldsmith's current wife? Who are Goldsmith's ancestors? I ask because I see a reason why the Tory party has erroneously, outrageously, labelled the Labour party "anti-Semitic". How far behind in the polls is Goldsmith due to Tory leadership inadequacy? The Tory party have nothing to recommend themselves so make up stories and show as many people as possible the information they want people to see.

Lying, mendacious, manipulative Tory party never act in the best interest of anyone but the few friends making up their world. Tories aren't good for the UK or for most people - we've the proof before us all with policies and leadership failures, suffering caused, lives made more difficult or gone entirely - and so Tories spin.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

May Tory government be thwarted in their lying efforts, be held accountable for leadership positions purchased illegally and
be made to restore what they've broken. May the UK and all the people have competent and responsible leadership soon.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

"Boris Johnson said there was an 'ideological continuum' between Ken Livingstone and Sadiq Khan "
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 06466.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Benefit sanctions handed out to thousands of people ‘unlawful
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Boris Johnson writes and says a lot of garbage and it's unfortunate media is so pervasive, intrusive in everyone's daily lives, anyone not living in a cave or an isolation chamber is forced to come across his spew.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

And repeated law-breakers.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Another person Labour is better off without. Ex MEP jailed for four years for expenses fraud.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04 ... ars-after/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Corbyn 'told to stay away from Wales by Welsh Labour'. :(

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/polit ... t-11259510
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"Legal filings indicated that 250,000 people had lost some £130m in benefits."

Theft.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

citizenJA wrote:"Boris Johnson said there was an 'ideological continuum' between Ken Livingstone and Sadiq Khan "
From the Independent article:
....I note that Sadiq Khan had previously called upon Ken Livingstone’s services as an adviser and indeed Sadiq Khan had nominated Jeremy Corbyn, as I recall, to be leader of the Labour party,” Mr Johnson added.
Yes...and Sadiq Khan also nominated Ed Miliband, presumably that supports Boris' theory. No? Oh.

Johnson really is a complete prick. Does he really think we're going to forget Khan was one of Ed's closest allies? Not so long ago the Tories would have used his support for Miliband against him, but suddenly its been airbrushed out of history, now they've got a new narrative going. Very contrived, very much going to come back and bite them on the ass if there's any justice in the world.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

"Mr Corbyn is not an antisemite, and his enemies should not cheapen that charge by suggesting he is.
There is, however, a question – put even by some sympathisers – as to whether there has been a
selective hesitancy in condemning failings on the part of others. There was a cack-handed
response to his brother’s dismissive tweet about a Jewish MP a few weeks ago
..."

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... left-flank" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(my bold)

Corbyn's brother, Piers
This article is one of many contrived, manufactured efforts not doing justice to the truth, pretending to be rational.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Willow904 wrote:
citizenJA wrote:"Boris Johnson said there was an 'ideological continuum' between Ken Livingstone and Sadiq Khan "
....I note that Sadiq Khan had previously called upon Ken Livingstone’s services as an adviser and indeed Sadiq Khan had nominated Jeremy Corbyn, as I recall, to be leader of the Labour party,” Mr Johnson added.
Yes...and Sadiq Khan also nominated Ed Miliband, presumably that supports Boris' theory. No? Oh.

Johnson really is a complete prick. Does he really think we're going to forget Khan was one of Ed's closest allies? Not so long ago the Tories would have used his support for Miliband against him, but suddenly its been airbrushed out of history, now they've got a new narrative going. Very contrived, very much going to come back and bite them on the ass if there's any justice in the world.

There isn't any justice & not any likely soon. The media people are so poor, they let so much go without challenge while circling the latest 'crisis' like sharks smelling blood.

John Humphries was interviewing someone about Orgreave this morning.
He seemed to be completely & blissfully unaware that the BBC had shown film cut to in a way that made it look as if miners were violent before police action.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Willow904 wrote:

(my bold)

Yes, I used the same word, contrived. Transparent distortions used to gain power and using that power in order to keep it.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

StephenDolan wrote:Morning all.

'The Haavara Agreement is an instance where the question of Jewish rights, Zionist needs and individual rescue were in deep tension. Jewish organizations outside of Germany had declared a boycott against German goods and hoped to delegitimate the Nazi regime. The Zionists saw this agreement as a way of attracting Jews to Palestine and thus rescuing them from the Nazi universe even if that meant cooperation with Hitler'

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jso ... 08075.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Well I found it an interesting read.
Thank you for this.
Let’s remember when Hitler won his election in 1932, his policy then was that Jews should be moved to Israel.
He was supporting Zionism – this before he went mad and ended up killing six million Jews,” [Ken Livingstone] said.

The Haavara Agreement, signed by Nazi Germany in 1933 did, arrange for the voluntary emigration of German Jews
to the Middle East, but temporarily effectively stripped many émigrés of their property.

At the same time Nazi authorities persecuted Jews in Germany through other legal and violent means, adding an element
of coercion to the policy. Nazi policy later evolved to the mass murder of Jews both home and abroad as part of the Holocaust.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 04841.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(my bold)

Yes, Ken Livingstone is describing historically accurate information.
"HAAVARA, a company for the transfer of Jewish property from Nazi Germany to Palestine. The Trust and Transfer Office
Haavara Ltd., was established in Tel Aviv, following an agreement with the German government in August 1933, to facilitate the
emigration of Jews to Palestine by allowing the transfer of their capital in the form of German export goods.

The Haavara Agreement is an instance where the question of Jewish rights, Zionist needs and individual rescue were in deep
tension. Jewish organizations outside of Germany had declared a boycott against German goods and hoped to delegitimate
the Nazi regime. The Zionists saw this agreement as a way of attracting Jews to Palestine and thus rescuing them from the
Nazi universe even if that meant cooperation with Hitler. For a time the Nazi program of making Germany Judenrein and
the Zionist policy of seeking olim coincided."