Wednesday 4th May 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Wednesday 4th May 2016

Post by StephenDolan »

Morning all.

So Cruz has suspended his nomination, all eyes switch to the Democrats. With Sanders saying he's continuing until the convention, can Clinton make it over the line prior (ie without the superdelegates), it doesn't look likely.
Last edited by refitman on Wed 04 May, 2016 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Admin: fixed date
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Re: Wednesday 5th May 2016

Post by StephenDolan »

Doh. Date needs correcting.
refitman
Site Admin

Re: Wednesday 5th May 2016

Post by refitman »

StephenDolan wrote:Doh. Date needs correcting.
Sorted.
danesclose
Whip

Re: Wednesday 4th May 2016

Post by danesclose »

Good morning, and a Happy Star Wars Day to one and all!
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Good morning.

Much as I dislike Cruz, the world has just become a much scarier place now that Trump has no real opposition for the GOP nomination.

The Tweets of Laura Kuensservativeberg have been monitored by people who go in for that sort of thing. For 5 days, every single one has been on the subject of Corbyn and the anti-semitism row. Norman Smith and John Pienaar likewise.
I've been looking at the BBC News website, and there is nothing about the investigations into possible Tory election fraud. Plenty of other stories, but absolutely nothing on it - there are some old articles about Newark earlier this year, but nothing on the current accusations.

As the Electoral Commission is meeting with police today, you'd think our national broadcaster would have at least something on this.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hillsborough families criticise South Yorkshire PCC over inquest tactics
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Barclays offers 0% deposit mortgage to home buyers
British high street bank increases the multiple of earnings against which people can borrow on its ‘family springboard’ mortgage

http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... ome-buyers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's only for those who've got the help of the bank of mum and dad though. The divide is ever increasing.
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Barbara Keeley Retweeted
johannmalawana ‏@johannmalawana 36m36 minutes ago
johannmalawana Retweeted NHS Health Ed Eng
Desperation to fill posts. No further announcements on fill rates because of how appalling they are. Total disaster

NHS Health Ed Eng
‏@NHS_HealthEdEng
Foundation doctor posts available in England for drs eligible for full GMC registration. Apply before 11 May 2016.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://www.buzzfeed.com/sirajdatoo/a-m ... rtzer7YLDw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A mosque in Zac Goldsmith’s constituency has branded his campaign “deeply irresponsible” and warned his approach risks dividing communities in London.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

In Italy, the Supreme Court of Cassation (the highest appellate court in Italy) has ruled that stealing a small amount food is not a crime if you are poor and hungry.

Good.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-morning, everyone
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/je ... rs-7890253" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jeremy Hunt has been blasted for using a “snapshot” of just 14 hospitals to figure out how many junior doctors work weekends.

Campaigners say the Tory Health Secretary’s “inadequate” evidence shows his plans for seven-day NHS working are a "castle built on sand".
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Here's the (new, anti-establishment) Yorkshire Post again.

Exclusive: The links between South Yorkshire Police Hillsborough and Orgreave ‘cover-ups’ five years apart
http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/cri ... -1-7890633" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Willow904 wrote:https://www.buzzfeed.com/sirajdatoo/a-m ... rtzer7YLDw
A mosque in Zac Goldsmith’s constituency has branded his campaign “deeply irresponsible” and warned his approach risks dividing communities in London.
We can worry about the locals and the EUref, but we really don't need to worry about London.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016 ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is private equity really fit to run care homes?
Graham Ruddick
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

For a non political intervention the timing is somewhat, erm, political?
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

FOI request made by Ian James on the percentage of Mandatory Considerations/overturned ESA decisions refused.

whatdotheyknow.com
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://whofundsyou.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

20 think tanks and campaigns rated for funding transparency
We asked 20 leading UK-based think tanks and political campaigns to disclose their major funders. Here are the results.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

HindleA wrote:http://whofundsyou.org/

20 think tanks and campaigns rated for funding transparency
We asked 20 leading UK-based think tanks and political campaigns to disclose their major funders. Here are the results.

Thank you for this, A.

Interesting to see the tendency of the more right-wing inclined think tanks to not disclose their donors......
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
2m ago 11:04
Khan extending his lead over Goldsmith, poll suggests
That's good.
The poll also suggests that, if Boris Johnson were the Conservative candidate, he would beat Khan by by 41% to 39%.
But that's incomprehensible.

Both quotes are from Politics Live, Guardian.

Edited

"Good" for "God" (so to speak). And quote put right. I hope.
Last edited by PorFavor on Wed 04 May, 2016 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Not that surprising that some have a rose tinted view of BoJo's mayoralty as it comes to a close.

Also, there will be those saying they would support a hypothetical Boris 3rd term bid as a way of expressing disapproval of Goldsmith's campaign.

After transfers, that surely suggests Khan and Johnson would be pretty much neck and neck? Encouraging, if anything......
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

PorFavor wrote:God morfternoon.
2m ago 11:04
Khan extending his lead over Goldsmith, poll suggests
That's good.
The poll also suggests that, if Boris Johnson were the Conservative candidate, he would beat Khan by by 41% to 39%.

But that's incomprehensible
Both quotes are from Politics Live, Guardian.
Just the usual incumbency effect I suspect. Boris is the devil you know. And he did manage a more balanced campaign against Livingstone, even while skewering him on tax returns. I don't remember him ever being as negative and while he attacked Ken personally, he didn't insult swathes of voters in the process as Goldsmith seems to have done.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

RobertSnozers wrote:
ephemerid wrote:Good morning.

Much as I dislike Cruz, the world has just become a much scarier place now that Trump has no real opposition for the GOP nomination.

The Tweets of Laura Kuensservativeberg have been monitored by people who go in for that sort of thing. For 5 days, every single one has been on the subject of Corbyn and the anti-semitism row. Norman Smith and John Pienaar likewise.
I've been looking at the BBC News website, and there is nothing about the investigations into possible Tory election fraud. Plenty of other stories, but absolutely nothing on it - there are some old articles about Newark earlier this year, but nothing on the current accusations.

As the Electoral Commission is meeting with police today, you'd think our national broadcaster would have at least something on this.
And the 'ongoing investigation' argument doesn't hold water given that the Beeb was happy to hang around filming live outside Cliff Richard's house while it was searched.

I have mixed feelings re the US Presidential race. I always regarded Cruz as somewhat scarier than Trump, and would be taken more seriously. But these are scary times.
Even my daughter who was 'for' Trump at the beginning has had second thoughts. :shock:
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

RobertSnozers wrote:
ephemerid wrote:Good morning.

And the 'ongoing investigation' argument doesn't hold water given that the Beeb was happy to hang around filming live outside Cliff Richard's house while it was searched.

I have mixed feelings re the US Presidential race. I always regarded Cruz as somewhat scarier than Trump, and would be taken more seriously. But these are scary times.
Looks like we are all going to have to get behind Hillary, even if many of us aren't far short of despising her. Still, quite a few felt a similar way about LBJ back in 1964.......
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

The Green MP Caroline Lucas asks Cameron to define a “modal verb”.

Cameron says the whole point of these tests is to ensure that the next generation is better educated than we are. (Politics Live, Guardian)
So six year olds should be better educated than a 49 (?) year old privileged, Eton and Oxford educated Prime Minister?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... ave-report" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Miners' strike: IPCC considers unredacted Orgreave report
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... e-mid-2013" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

UK construction sector sees slowest expansion since mid-2013
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Ah yes, "absolutely no recollection" - in other words, "you've got me bang to rights even if you can't actually prove it".
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PorFavor wrote:

Cameron says the whole point of these tests is to ensure that the next generation is better educated than we are. (Politics Live, Guardian)
So six year olds should be better educated than a 49 (?) year old privileged, Eton and Oxford educated Prime Minister?
He means better educated than us oiks.... :roll:
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 10451.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'Cruel' government policies blamed for depression and stress levels at Department for Work and Pensions

We do not accept these findings .DWP staff will be shortly applying increased support to each other to iron out any difficulties they may have said a robotic bullshit generator.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

ohsocynical wrote:
PorFavor wrote:

He means better educated than us oiks.... :roll:
Ha! But this oik knows what a modal verb is (and much good it's done me). Whereas our glorious leader doesn't, seemingly. So I assumed he was covering up his ignorance by suggesting that children should be better educated than "even" himself.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Just seen a lesser redpoll on the feeder. First time.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I could have been a contender but for my ignorance of what a modal verb.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I have absolutely no recollection of ever hearing the phrase "modal verb" before today.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Shapps throws Feldman under the battle bus
http://order-order.com/2016/05/04/shapp ... attle-bus/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

HindleA wrote:I have absolutely no recollection of ever hearing the phrase "modal verb" before today.
You haven't lived!
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

HindleA wrote:I could have been a contender but for my ignorance of what a modal verb.
It's what marks us out as 'low achievers' along with lack of scads of money PF.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I was educated in Scotland and comprehensive,not a grammar school.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Anna Turley MPVerified account
‏@annaturley
Jeremy Hunt just told off by speaker for sitting discourteously looking at his phone during health debate that he's refusing to speak in
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

RR2 you are confusing me I thought you meant a lower lead for Labour on a twitter feed.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

HindleA wrote:RR2 you are confusing me I thought you meant a lower lead for Labour on a twitter feed.
I suppose they're not quite as glaringly unmistakeable a subject as a speeding mallard HindleA. :)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Grammar experts,has A.Turley missed an apostrophe out prior to "phone" in lieu of "tele" or is this viewed as redundant?
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

PorFavor wrote:
HindleA wrote:I have absolutely no recollection of ever hearing the phrase "modal verb" before today.
You haven't lived!
Of course, here on the South Derbyshire Riviera, we know all about modal verbs. We do admittedly fret a bit over whether we're talking about deontic, epistemic or dynamic modality.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I wasn't deemed clever enough to go into the top echelons of English classes,nor indeed to be taught Latin,perhaps the select were taught such things.I content myself in doing the Times crossword in reasonable time-the beauty of cryptics is that you can construct the answer without knowing the definition,my brother was the top in English of the whole school,yet he can't get one-pah.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

The following from Andrew Sparrow's blog is really interesting:
There was some confusion after PMQs about Jeremy Corbyn’s statement on Tuesday that: “We are not going to lose seats, we are looking to gain seats where we can.”

Asked whether he really meant this, an aide to the leader said Corbyn may have been “slightly misinterpreted”, adding that “what he said was that he said he would make no predictions about the number of seats to be won or lost.”

That assertion was challenged by the Daily Mirror’s political editor, who pointed out that Corbyn had clearly said Labour was “not going to lose seats”.

Corbyn’s aide clarified that the leader said in his previous sentence and elsewhere on many occasions that he was not going to make predictions about gains and losses.

Asked whether Corbyn had misspoken, the spokesman said: “I’m telling you what he intended to say. He was saying we are not in the business of losing seats.”
I listened to that entire interview yesterday and came away with the impression Corbyn had repeatedly insisted he wasn't going to make any seat predictions. I later read everywhere that Corbyn had said Labour wouldn't lose any seats and was confused as to where this had come from, to the point I commented on it here. The point I'm making is that if it was clear to me what Corbyn meant to say and appeared to be saying, how did journalists manage to not hear all the times he wouldn't be drawn but confidently reported the one mis-spoken sentence when he seemed to contradict himself without even double checking if they had heard it correctly? Surely it would be more factual to report him refusing to make predictions then point out he seemed to slip up and make a prediction after all. Instead this small snippet was reported as the entire gist of what he said, without context and, I believe, without quotation marks, as fact. No wonder I was so confused.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tim Shipman ‏@ShippersUnbound 9m9 minutes ago
Tim Shipman Retweeted Katie Hopkins
The ghost of @DPJHodges laughs uncontrollably

Katie HopkinsVerified account
‏@KTHopkins
If Sadiq Khan wins London, I will run naked down Regent Street with a sausage up my bum in protest #LondonMayor2016
Possibly the only thing that might make me hope Khan doesn't win ...

Nah, not really (repulsive though that image is). Just hope it would be a major humiliating experience for her.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Tim Shipman ‏@ShippersUnbound 9m9 minutes ago
Tim Shipman Retweeted Katie Hopkins
The ghost of @DPJHodges laughs uncontrollably

Katie HopkinsVerified account
‏@KTHopkins
If Sadiq Khan wins London, I will run naked down Regent Street with a sausage up my bum in protest #LondonMayor2016
Possibly the only thing that might make me hope Khan doesn't win ...

Nah, not really (repulsive though that image is). Just hope it would be a major humiliating experience for her.
It's not like you have to watch or anything :D Is that what Keith Vas was alluding to when eulogising on the importance of keeping promises?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

A former Tory Parliamentary candidate says the Welsh Conservatives are anti-woman and racist
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/polit ... ar_twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
... "As a life-long Conservative voter, and indeed the first Asian woman to even address a Welsh Conservative conference, I am fundamentally unable to cast a vote for the party I have supported since i was a teenager.

"I will firmly and proudly be casting a vote for Welsh Labour.”...
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

She has come in for a fair amount of abuse for her stand, brave lady.

Of course, if (as we all hope) Zac does indeed crash and burn, there will be lots emerging from the woodwork to agree......
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

What type of sausage ? i hope it is one of those long curly Cumberland things with extra pepper