Friday 6th May 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Friday 6th May 2016

Post by StephenDolan »

Morning all.

So the results in so far aren't quite the doom predicted by the MSM. Perhaps they'll reflect on all the bellwether towns results?

Two others things. One, I'm also a very happy Liverpool supporter today, two, election nights bring the missed Lady C to mind.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Re: Friday 6th May 2016

Post by StephenDolan »

From the g live blog.

' John Curtice also revealed on the BBC that it looks as though Labour may be “very slightly ahead” of the Conservatives on national share of the vote in the English council elections. He said that the Tory vote seemed to be down about four points, and that the Labour vote seemed to be up four points.

In a blog early this week Curtice said that when calculating a “proportional national share” figure for the local elections this year he would be benchmarking them against new figures he has produced for the PNS for the 2015 local elections. In 2015 the Tories were on 35% and Labour 29% on this measure, suggesting this year’s figures could put the Conservatives on 31%, and Labour on 33% - although the figures will doubtless change as new results come in.

Curtice also said that he thought Labour would not lose as many as 150 council seats, as some of the experts were predicting (see 10.25pm), and that as a result Jeremy Corbyn would be able to say he performed better than expected.'
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

At least PC didn't win Llanelli, though Rhonnda is a bit of a gutter.

"We do things differently in Wales see" daren't put the TV on before work, daren't..
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:At least PC didn't win Llanelli, though Rhonnda is a bit of a gutter.

"We do things differently in Wales see" daren't put the TV on before work, daren't..
A good strategy.
PC will be keen to show their alternative left wing credentials in the assembly. :wink:
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

What do you guys in Wales think will be the Government

Labour minority
Labour + LD Coalition Minority
Labour + PC Coalition

I would be tempted to one of the first two and dare PC to vote with the Tories and UKIP - could be some tricky times ahead for PC, especially if Labour can bring the LD on board somehow
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

Hahahaha!!

Labour hold Cardiff Central! Stick that where the sun don't shine..
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

and Cardiff North
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Morning everyone

Results from the two national assemblies then....what should Labour do from here

Scotland:

Do they make an effort to put in a better leadership and aim to be ready in 10 or so years when the backlash against the SNP (which will happen one day) comes or should they just accept it as a bad job and concentrate on England and Wales.....? Cut public funding per head to Scotland to align it with the rest of the UK and then redistribute to some of the poorer English and Welsh regions?

Wales:

I think it will be interesting how the Government is set up.....put pressure on PC to take sides. Next election will be after EU referendum so difficult to predit

I see the only story in town today according to the media is Scotland....funny that!
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:At least PC didn't win Llanelli, though Rhonnda is a bit of a gutter.

Sad to see Leighton Andrews, a calm and steady politician, lose to bumptious gabby populist Leanne Wood.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Me again....only one up!

Nowhere in the media is the continued appalling performance of the Tories in city Britain discussed.......my town, Wolverhampton, used to have a Tory council but they are nowhere to be seen now. Birmingham, Newcastle, Manchester, Liverpool etc

It seems that it is only Labour who are under the spotlight
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Morning.

Labour, Tories & Lib Dem were each down nearly 2.5 points in Ceredigion, depressing to see UKIP at 9%. But at least that isn't as bad as it could have been here, I though the Kippers would do even better.

Haven't heard whether sleazebag Neil Hamilton has got a seat. Twitter not clear.
Would appreciate update if anyone has it.
Last edited by yahyah on Fri 06 May, 2016 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Hahahaha!!

Labour hold Cardiff Central! Stick that where the sun don't shine..
:fight: :fight:
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

howsillyofme1 wrote:Me again....only one up!

Nowhere in the media is the continued appalling performance of the Tories in city Britain discussed.......my town, Wolverhampton, used to have a Tory council but they are nowhere to be seen now. Birmingham, Newcastle, Manchester, Liverpool etc

It seems that it is only Labour who are under the spotlight
It's incredible. Will they never stop?

At this point in England, Labour have overall gained a very few seats and the Tories have lost a very few. Surely the headline so far is "little change".
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

according to GARP ‏@grahamarpark 47m47 minutes ago

Well done @BBCr4today - Corbyn, Jeremy Corbyn even MR Corbyn! You've dropped the "Far Left" prefix. A day after elections. #bbcelection
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Neil Hamilton was predicting 'seven, eight, nine' seats for UKIP in the early hours.
Now UKIP seem to be saying they expect five. Either that is expectation management or things haven't gone as well as they hoped.

Am not very well informed - as usual- as my husband read me the riot act for listening to Radio 4 on headphones in bed, so I had to switch it off. He was concerned poor sleep and bad news might provoke a few days of migraine for me.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Damn.
UKIP just beat Labour on the Mid & West Wales regional list in Ceredigion.
I can't find anything to compare it to from the last election.

rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

I'm back up after going to bed at 5am and not being able to sleep - I've 'rested'. Gutted about Rhondda but Labour has held Vale of Glamorgan so we still have 25 constituency seats. So we are already going to be above the very worst predictions ... and I hope it will be somewhat better than that by the time the regional list seats are sorted out.

Only in the G could they have a headline to an article which says Corbyn's Labour has done alrightish

'Jeremy Corbyn defies critics with Labour set to hold its ground in England
Party on course to increase share of vote in English local elections, but suffers bruising night in Scotland and Wales'

but then goes on to make out it's all pretty terrible in the article and dredges up yet another coup attempt in the offing - Dan Jarvis and Angela Eagle are touting for support apparently.

And Mike Gapes is hard at it as usual. When will they ever just respect the need for some solidarity and a period without bickering?
Working on the wild side.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

It's a bit early for me, I haven't gone onto the news pages yet and only read a few Tweets.
Remembering last year, I was half scared to log in in case Labour had had a miserable night.

So far I gather Labour hasn't crashed as predicted, but the BBC are still being derogatory.
Nobody's mentioning the Conservatives. Scotland's a disaster, and Wales could have been better?

Is that right?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:I'm back up after going to bed at 5am and not being able to sleep - I've 'rested'. Gutted about Rhondda but Labour has held Vale of Glamorgan so we still have 25 constituency seats. So we are already going to be above the very worst predictions ... and I hope it will be somewhat better than that by the time the regional list seats are sorted out.

Only in the G could they have a headline to an article which says Corbyn's Labour has done alrightish

'Jeremy Corbyn defies critics with Labour set to hold its ground in England
Party on course to increase share of vote in English local elections, but suffers bruising night in Scotland and Wales'

but then goes on to make out it's all pretty terrible in the article and dredges up yet another coup attempt in the offing - Dan Jarvis and Angela Eagle are touting for support apparently.

And Mike Gapes is hard at it as usual. When will they ever just respect the need for some solidarity and a period without bickering?
Makes you wonder what we could have achieved with a neutral press and minus the Bitterites...
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ohsocynical wrote:It's a bit early for me, I haven't gone onto the news pages yet and only read a few Tweets.
Remembering last year, I was half scared to log in in case Labour had had a miserable night.

So far I gather Labour hasn't crashed as predicted, but the BBC are still being derogatory.
Nobody's mentioning the Conservatives. Scotland's a disaster, and Wales could have been better?

Is that right?
Pretty spot on Ohso. Add in the constant background carping of the usual suspects and you're there.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Labour hold Assembly seats in Vale of Glamorgan, Cardiff North, Vale of Clywd, & Vale of Glamorgan.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Rob Sherrington ‏@SherringtonRob 11m11 minutes ago Llanelli, Wales
These results= incredible. Big kudos to the door knockers - Seats like the VoClwyd, VoGlamorgan, Llanelli and the Cardiffs, owe it to you
That's good to see.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

ohsocynical wrote:It's a bit early for me, I haven't gone onto the news pages yet and only read a few Tweets.

Is that right?

I think Wales could have been worse is how I would say it - not brilliant but circumstances haven't been great. Scotland is as predicted and to be honest does not make any material difference. In fact in the long term it may help

This election, assuming London goes as planned, will be better than I expected and it should give Corbyn some opportunity to silebnce the critics...Wales will be less feverish now the election is out of the way and Scotland too.

Referendum next up and we just have to see how we can ensure Remain whilst doing as much damage as possible to the Tories and UKIP
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

RR - do you know how are Plaid doing, apart from Wood gaining the Rhondda ?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Despite a shock victory for Plaid Cymru leader Leanne Wood, Welsh Labour will be able to govern without a coalition.

Labour have posted good results in Wales, where the party remains on course to be the controlling force in the Welsh Assembly.

At the time of writing, Carwyn Jones’ party has 24 of the 40 constituency seats, with Plaid Cymru a distant second on 6 and the Conservatives on 5. Among Labour’s notable holds was Gower, which the party lost narrowly at a Westminster level in the 2015 general election by just 27 votes.
http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/el ... gest-party" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The only good thing about Leanne Wood's win is that it will probably mean Adam Price doesn't challenge her for the leadership straightaway - and he would be a scarier opponent for other parties re proper political strategy and leadership than she currently is.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

RobertSnozers wrote:Morning all. Pleasantly surprised by results in England, though a bit devastated about Scotland. It's beginning to look as though it's gone for good, or at least a very long time. I can sort of understand the SNP beating Labour, but I gather there's even been a bit of a Tory surge. The whole country seems to have gone a bit loopy following the referendum. I hope something similar doesn't happen over the EU Ref, I don't think I could take a surge of nationalism here.

I have been chatting to some of my SNP supporting friends and they think this will be good in the long run for Labour as there is little risk now if there is a huge clearout....they are the only credible opposition to the SNP - the Tories will not get above 20%.....will take some guts to do it and it will take time but if we want to resurrect Scotland it may be necessary

I think it may be time for Corbyn to take the fight to the Blairites.....and it could begin with the Scottish shambles
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Good work, everyone who stayed up late.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

07:39: The BBC is projecting the SNP to lose its overall majority. Final result will likely be: 63 SNP MSPs, 31 Conservative MSPs, 24 Labour MSPs, 6 Green MSPs and 5 Liberal Democrat MSPs.
http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/el ... s-liveblog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scotland could also be far more interesting now - if it hasn't turned out to be the one party state many predicted.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
07:39: The BBC is projecting the SNP to lose its overall majority. Final result will likely be: 63 SNP MSPs, 31 Conservative MSPs, 24 Labour MSPs, 6 Green MSPs and 5 Liberal Democrat MSPs.
http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/el ... s-liveblog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scotland could also be far more interesting now - if it hasn't turned out to be the one party state many predicted.

Yes, but Labour cannot vote with the Tories.......
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

Some good news. More porridge anyone ?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Chris Ship ‏@chrisshipitv 34s35 seconds ago
Is clear this morning Jeremy Corbyn's opponents in the party are going to have to put their knives away for now - perhaps for another year
You'd think so wouldn't you. But as I write Emma Reynolds is on Radio 4 saying how awful it all is ....
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

There must be some very bitter Labour members this morning.
All their efforts on Twitter and social media, aimed at undermining Corbyn, may reap little reward.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Zoe Williams ‏@zoesqwilliams 49m49 minutes ago
Emma Reynolds here, voicing the crushing disappointment of her party not crashing like she hoped it would #bbcr4
Thank you Zoe Williams - got it exactly right there.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

I can't bear waiting for the regional seats in Wales - Ukip already on 5. Labour don't have any - yet - I hope, hope, hope there's some coming.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Laura Kuenssberg all gloom and doom for Labour.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

I'm not that 'up' on Scottish politics but from the little I've read so far, the words flux, and poisoned chalice are forefront in my mind.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

The Mail seem to be seeing reality - their online headline is ''Has Corbyn pulled off the great escape ?''
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Mike Gingell ‏@cothamboy54 4m4 minutes ago
Mike Gingell Retweeted Mirror Politics

So even though the Labour leader in Scotland voted for Yvette Cooper in leadership contest she STILL lost to Tories!
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

howsillyofme1 wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

Yes, but Labour cannot vote with the Tories.......
Oh yes it can on one subject :twisted:
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Roger Scully ‏@roger_scully 5m5 minutes ago
Unless something very unexpected in the final two regions, looking very much: Lab 28, PC 12, Con 11, UKIP 8, LDs 1.
Shit. Don't want to have to rely on Plaid - would rather it have been LDs and a Green!
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Unless something very unexpected in the final two regions, looking very much: Lab 28, PC 12, Con 11, UKIP 8, LDs 1.
Shit. Don't want to have to rely on Plaid - would rather it have been LDs and a Green!
I know what you mean.
But it may play to Labour's advantage to force gobby Wood and her party into actually being held to account in some way.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Heather Wakefield ‏@hibiscuits1 23m23 minutes ago

Congrats to Jo Anderson, elected as #Labour Mayor of Liverpool. Sorry #BBC and #R4Today
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

yahyah wrote:The Mail seem to be seeing reality - their online headline is ''Has Corbyn pulled off the great escape ?''
Attachments
Slide1.jpg
Slide1.jpg (66.9 KiB) Viewed 8740 times
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Labour councillor who thought he had lost re-elected after votes 'found' under Tory pile.

Just an accident no doubt. :twisted:

http://www.itv.com/news/2016-05-06/labo ... tory-pile/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Éoin
‏@LabourEoin
I've put together a fact pack on the Tory Election Fraud Scandal covering very latest developments. I hope it helps

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

ohsocynical wrote:Éoin
‏@LabourEoin
I've put together a fact pack on the Tory Election Fraud Scandal covering very latest developments. I hope it helps

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Can you tweet him the link about the votes 'found' under the Tory ones ?
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Scotland - somehow I don't think the lesson will be learned that having a Blairite in charge up there isn't working.....

Wales - Annoyed about UKIP. Woody Two Shoes will now be officially unbearable. Andrew Arsey Davies remains a (wrong) prat. Hoping that Labour can govern without some hideous coalition.

England - despite all the agitprop against Corbyn, Labour did well, IMHO. The MSM and the Bitterites should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves. The BBC - especially Kuennservativeberg - have been appalling. The bias was so obvious it's a disgrace.

I really hope that these results, in England at least, for Labour will put a stop to the constant briefing against Corbyn. "Old" New Labour is finished - and it's time for the PLP to sort itself out and get behind the leader the members voted for.
I am heartily sick of hearing how Labour should have won this or that or whatever; it's not helpful to compare these elections with Ed's, because the situation is completely different. These results are a good solid foundation to build on.

So well done everyone who worked so hard.

Now - let's see what happens with the Tory election fraud (alleged).
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Wasn't Wood already unbearable ?
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

yahyah wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
I know what you mean.
But it may play to Labour's advantage to force gobby Wood and her party into actually being held to account in some way.

That's a very good point, yahyah.

She might be forced to engage with the reality of a poor funding formula from Westminster and have to make some tough choices rather than pretend she can pay for a cancer drugs fund, twenty million new jobs, thousands of doctors, loads of apprenticeships, etc.etc.etc.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Going to hope for a stonking victory for Sadiq Khan later today.

Get those election gods whizzed up please Ephemerid.