Friday 6th May 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Re: Friday 6th May 2016

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Labour still tantalisingly short of overall control here in Kirklees, with 34 of 69 seats I believe.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Three libdem gains from Labour in Liverpool.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I think the term "held onto" is common parlance in terms of elections and seats. Jeremy Corbyn's use of the term is, of course, being jumped upon.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

HindleA wrote:Three libdem gains from Labour in Liverpool.
Just two, I think (Allerton and Woolton)

Its amazing that they ever lost the latter especially in the first place, tbh.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Labour is useless. I can prove it.

Labour is so useless that right now it has 853 elected local councillors. Which is rubbish. They are out of touch with the electorate.

The Tories, who are second, have 445. Which is fantastic.

Therefore, Labour is useless.

Everybody says so, so it must be true.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

I wonder if Khan will nail Zac at his acceptance speech, and I wonder if Zac will show some humility and apologise for his disgraceful campaign.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PorFavor wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
PorFavor wrote: Oh, well. It's all done and dusted now (I hope). I do think that it's time for Ken Livingstone to get out less, though.
Do we have confirmation of the alleged ranting?
I haven't heard it - so I'm just going by the hearsay, written stuff. Bit sad that I'm prepared to take it as read, though, in this particular case.
It's natural to look for a reason that means he's not totally in control and can't help it.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Pity the poor sausage.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:The silver lining there is that I can think of few who could do a better job of discrediting the UKIP cause (and more quickly)
And (as per my post yesterday) I can safely go back to The Vine Tree pub in Norton, Wilts. again :dance:
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
Maeght
Committee Chair

Post by Maeght »

Well, not happy at all about Croydon and Sutton, where the Tory constituency member has overtaken Labour and Zac has overtaken Sadiq.

However, elsewhere is looking promising!
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

It would be amazing if Labour were ever to win that one, tbf.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 7s7 seconds ago
70% counted & it looks as though final mayoral result will be a lot earlier than the 2354 of 2012. Khan still ahead
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Michael Crick ‏@MichaelLCrick 17s17 seconds ago
West Yorkshire & Derbyshire police forces tell #c4news they will go to court to seek time extensions on election expense allegations
Good.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

AK ah o.k.
Maeght
Committee Chair

Post by Maeght »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:It would be amazing if Labour were ever to win that one, tbf.
It's closer than you might think. In Bromley Labour have no chance but Croydon has changed a lot.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

HindleA wrote:Pity the poor sausage.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

stalla Simonin

This is going to be great
I hope Katie is at the butchers picking out a designer sausage
ScarletGas
Committee Chair

Post by ScarletGas »

Just reflecting on how appalling our correct intake of political "journalists" are.

Once again they get the outcome of an election completely wrong and then try to tell us its our fault because we are looking at the wrong metrics. If I had got forecasts so consistently wrong, remember 2015 GE,the by election that Jeremy Corbyn was going to lose and this set of results now, when in business I would have been out of the door sharpish.

I think, for me, almost the worst aspect is the absolute determination to control the narrative even when, time and again they have been proved to be placemen/women living in the Westminster bubble. Its claimed by these very people that Labour has lost contact with its "hardworking people" base. How the hell would they know when they spend their life in the Westminster bubble been briefed by spads who wouldn't know an ordinary hardworking person if they came up and bit them.

Its interesting, at least to me, that it was the ordinary "hardworking people" that voted in Jeremy Corbyn and it looks like the same people have proved our Pradvaistas wrong. Does that not say something about political journalists and their inability to listen to and have real contact with those very same people.

Whilst we rightly are directing our ire at La Kuenssberg and the BBC lets not forget the rest of the sad bunch.Chief amongst these, in my view, is the fact free area know as Tom Nothing but a Dunce of the Sun. Last night on Sky new paper review he had to be calmed down by his fellow reviewer (surprise,surprise a Blairite ex spad) because in her words he was frothing and throbbing (I will leave you to make up your own jokes) about his prediction that the night would be a disaster for Corbyn. Today on twitter he is claiming he is right and we are all judging the results wrongly. There again I don't suppose humility and apologies are words listed in the Eton dictionary.

You can probably use this "profession" as indicative of how far this country has been diminished in the past few years.Do I think anything will change when they are so rubbish at their jobs?....No not while you have a corporatist state with our dead tree press run by tax dodging billionaires and a state broadcaster (because that is what they are these days) run by personal friends and associates of the government hierarchy.

Oh for the resurrection of John Cole!
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

The World at One ‏@BBCWorldatOne 8m8 minutes ago
Prof John Curtice says Labour party would "probably" be in lead if there were a general election now, based on English voter behaviour #wato
Eh? Did he really?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Michael Crick ‏@MichaelLCrick 1m1 minute ago
West Yorks & Derbyshire police forces won't say which candidates they want to investigate further but it's probably Pudsey & Amber Valley
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

NonOxCol wrote:Neil fucking Hamilton?

I barely have the words to express my utter contempt for every last fuckwit who voted him in to anything.

Perhaps someone could remind me, like they did last May, that the electorate really isn't full of thick, ignorant idiots.
Looking at Sadiq's showing makes me wonder how the hell Boris won 2 terms. Quite a lot of the electorate must be as you describe.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
The World at One ‏@BBCWorldatOne 8m8 minutes ago
Prof John Curtice says Labour party would "probably" be in lead if there were a general election now, based on English voter behaviour #wato
Eh? Did he really?
Cool.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

James Ball ‏@jamesrbuk 1m1 minute ago
75% counted, Khan remains 9 points ahead on first preferences. This race is overrrrrr. https://www.londonelects.org.uk/im-vote ... contest=23" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Will it lead the BBC news tonight?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

gilsey wrote:
NonOxCol wrote:Neil fucking Hamilton?

I barely have the words to express my utter contempt for every last fuckwit who voted him in to anything.

Perhaps someone could remind me, like they did last May, that the electorate really isn't full of thick, ignorant idiots.
Looking at Sadiq's showing makes me wonder how the hell Boris won 2 terms. Quite a lot of the electorate must be as you describe.
Hamilton kept a very low profile - very few appearances - in the run up to polling day. A lot of people won't have known it was him they were voting for - or the traits and behaviours he is infamous for. As he was on the regional list you don't put a x by a name - you put it by a party.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Excellent post, ScarletGas!

Why, only yesterday, at about this time, that nice Mr.Pienaar was busy telling us that Labour could lose 150 to 190 seats....
....and Ms.Kuensservativeberg was trying to get John McDonnell to admit he was getting his excuses in early, making a big shrill fuss about a "leaked" document on Labour's strategies for the media in certain scenarios (at which JMcD laughed, saying he'd written it....)

So now that Labour have failed - FAILED, I tell you! - to lose the hundreds of seats they were required to lose by the BBC's political editors, they have FAILED!!!!!!!

Still, as they've decided to pursue this failure thing, they've failed to spot the 6 police forces now investigating possible Tory election fraud.

Faily McFailface. That's you, BBC, that is.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Faisal Islam ‏@faisalislam 49s49 seconds ago
Labour starting to think they will take a majority on the London Assembly, and Sadiq Khan's chances put at 80%. Warm weather boosted turnout
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Laura Kuenssberg ‏@bbclaurak 1m1 minute ago
Coming soon, John Curtice's calculation of Projected National Share of the vote...
We've already had it haven't we?
Mike Smithson
‏@MSmithsonPB
BBC's projected national shares from yesterday's locals
Con 30
Lab 31
LD 15
UKIP 12
TR'sGhost
Minister of State

Post by TR'sGhost »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
The Great Return.jpg
Oh Wales.

I wonder if a fair proportion of the Ukip vote in the region are too young to have really known about his history.
One of my all-time favourite headlines that.

As for UKIP, I suspect the cultists would vote for anyone and anything with a yellow and purple tie on. As for the rest of the UKIP vote maybe they are unaware of Hamilton's past reputation. Or they are don'r care because "they're all corrupt". Don't forget, the UKIP MEPs who soak up money in exchange for damaging British and European interests are regarded as heros by the UKIP activists precisely because they soak up money for doing sod all that's useful and voting against anything useful the EU does.

Then there's the previously not very knowledgable or interested in politics who are disillusioned and angry with the other political parties and see a UKIP vote as a way to "teach them all a lesson" but would be horrified if they had to live under a UKIP government or a coalition where UKIP had a big role. And not forgetting the people who want "simple, common sense" solutions to complicated issues and don't care that those solutions are at best no solution at all and at worst incredibly damaging to their own interests. The British public has rarely been noted for its depth of understanding of political or economic matters, which isn't surprising when you consider the diet the media feeds us.
I'm getting tired of calming down....
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

Hodges may have left The Telegraph, but his spirit lives on:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05 ... ecome-may/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Why David Cameron should be praying for Sadiq Khan to become mayor of London
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Nurseries reject plans to extend free childcare to three and four-year-olds because financial burden would force many to close down
Plans to extend free childcare hours for three and four-year-olds rejected
Dozens of nurseries in York refused to offer new provision over concerns
They raised fears it had not been funded properly and terms were 'unfair'
Government wants to double free childcare provision for pre-school kids

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z47sirS7Eb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Well that's a surprise. And this is only the pilot scheme - and the providers won't sign up to it.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Is Wood pro-badger cull? Could be some interesting if she has to tell her new constituents they don't understand the country ways.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Maeght wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:It would be amazing if Labour were ever to win that one, tbf.
It's closer than you might think. In Bromley Labour have no chance but Croydon has changed a lot.
Croydon, yeah - but it is Sutton that makes it hard for them to win.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Nurseries reject plans to extend free childcare to three and four-year-olds because financial burden would force many to close down
Plans to extend free childcare hours for three and four-year-olds rejected
Dozens of nurseries in York refused to offer new provision over concerns
They raised fears it had not been funded properly and terms were 'unfair'
Government wants to double free childcare provision for pre-school kids

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z47sirS7Eb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Well that's a surprise. And this is only the pilot scheme - and the providers won't sign up to it.

Upon such non considerations are sanctions applied.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Greens and Lib Dems 3rd and 4th in mayoral count. Most of those should put Khan second.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

Also from The Telegraph, the government have stopped the universal roll-out of "superfast" broadband to rural areas because not everyone wants it!
Ministers halt automatic broadband roll-out for rural families because 'not everyone wants to be connected'
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05 ... amilies-b/
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

BBC alphabetical order conspiracy being noted on twitter.
Maeght
Committee Chair

Post by Maeght »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05 ... -in-scotl/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Only those not worried about their blood pressure should read this.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

ScarletGas wrote:Just reflecting on how appalling our correct intake of political "journalists" are.

Once again they get the outcome of an election completely wrong and then try to tell us its our fault because we are looking at the wrong metrics. If I had got forecasts so consistently wrong, remember 2015 GE,the by election that Jeremy Corbyn was going to lose and this set of results now, when in business I would have been out of the door sharpish.

I think, for me, almost the worst aspect is the absolute determination to control the narrative even when, time and again they have been proved to be placemen/women living in the Westminster bubble. Its claimed by these very people that Labour has lost contact with its "hardworking people" base. How the hell would they know when they spend their life in the Westminster bubble been briefed by spads who wouldn't know an ordinary hardworking person if they came up and bit them.

Its interesting, at least to me, that it was the ordinary "hardworking people" that voted in Jeremy Corbyn and it looks like the same people have proved our Pradvaistas wrong. Does that not say something about political journalists and their inability to listen to and have real contact with those very same people.

Whilst we rightly are directing our ire at La Kuenssberg and the BBC lets not forget the rest of the sad bunch.Chief amongst these, in my view, is the fact free area know as Tom Nothing but a Dunce of the Sun. Last night on Sky new paper review he had to be calmed down by his fellow reviewer (surprise,surprise a Blairite ex spad) because in her words he was frothing and throbbing (I will leave you to make up your own jokes) about his prediction that the night would be a disaster for Corbyn. Today on twitter he is claiming he is right and we are all judging the results wrongly. There again I don't suppose humility and apologies are words listed in the Eton dictionary.

You can probably use this "profession" as indicative of how far this country has been diminished in the past few years.Do I think anything will change when they are so rubbish at their jobs?....No not while you have a corporatist state with our dead tree press run by tax dodging billionaires and a state broadcaster (because that is what they are these days) run by personal friends and associates of the government hierarchy.

Oh for the resurrection of John Cole!
I'm really disappointed that George Eaton at the Staggers has now joined this rancid group and have been ranting at him on Twitter :twisted:
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

LOL George literally just saved himself

George Eaton ‏@georgeeaton 46s47 seconds ago
Looks like Sadiq could achieve biggest mayoral victory since Ken in 2000 - and he deserves it.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

The relationship between Corbyn and Khan now becomes hugely important to Labour's future IMO.

If they can show in a sensible, good mannered way that centre left politics can work in a place like London.....
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Yes, certain "moderates" have been bigging up how much the two supposedly dislike each other recently.

I both hope and believe that is largely bull***t.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

George Eaton ‏@georgeeaton 7m7 minutes ago
Looks like Sadiq could achieve biggest mayoral victory since Ken in 2000 - and he deserves it.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Oops - sorry - should always read posts above first.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Is Wood pro-badger cull? Could be some interesting if she has to tell her new constituents they don't understand the country ways.
Wood prevaricates and says it's difficult and looks soppy eyed about it before scurrying away to agree with Elin Jones and her farmer voters that badger culling has to happen in Wales. She came to a meeting in Newport and said she was against just before she became leader and then changed her position a few weeks later. She tries to avoid answering directly about it. Culling badgers is certainly high on the agenda of certain key sections of Plaid.

If Plaid make killing badgers a condition of their support again - and Labour gives in as they did in the last Lab/PC coalition - I will have no party to vote or work for. I would hope that both parties won't repeat that mistake. It was hugely unpopular and it cost Plaid a lot of votes around here (they have not made them up since) as Elin Jones admitted - thousands lost from her majority last time.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

29/60, got to be worth going as a minority? PC and LD opposing alongside Ukip isn't a good look.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

RobertSnozers wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:29/60, got to be worth going as a minority? PC and LD opposing alongside Ukip isn't a good look.
I'd be inclined to agree. They're technically in a better position than the SNP in Scotland, in that respect. Worth talking to people on individual issues.
And Adam Price - the Plaid Cymru contender - has been pretty strident about not going into coalition with Labour again. I think he'll be pushing hard at Leanne Wood not to do so - will prefer to have public fights and negotiations with Labour on specific issues that they can claim as wins - and bolster his profile at the same time.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

PoliticsHome ‏@politicshome 23s24 seconds ago
NEW: Michael Dugher has painted a bleak view of Labour's prospects after yesterday's votes: http://polho.me/1YbqFGy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oh I'm sure he has - he's becoming a supremo at 'bleak views of Labour's prospects'.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Yes, certain "moderates" have been bigging up how much the two supposedly dislike each other recently.

I both hope and believe that is largely bull***t.
So do I - the dislike between Corbyn and Khan has been manufactured
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Vicki Young ‏@BBCVickiYoung 2m2 minutes ago
In major concession over education policy Govt says good/outstanding schools will no longer be forced to become academies.
Another one slid in while we're not looking
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Daniel Sandford ‏@BBCDanielS 11m11 minutes ago
At least seven police forces are actively investigating Conservative election expenses from the 2015 General Election
Laura Kuenssberg ‏@bbclaurak 7m7 minutes ago
At least 7 police forces looking at potential cases of Tory elex fraud, 4 others considering steps, product of original @Channel4News scoop
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Robert Hutton ‏@RobDotHutton 2m2 minutes ago
Robert Hutton Retweeted BBC Breaking News
Just out of interest, is *any* part of the Budget still intact?

BBC Breaking NewsVerified account
‏@BBCBreaking
Plans to force all schools in England to become academies will not go ahead, education secretary tells BBC