Monday 23rd.May 2016.

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Monday 23rd.May 2016.

Post by ephemerid »

Good morning.

Paul Mason on Twitter:
"Congratulations to Ken Loach for Palme d'Or - I look forward to Cameron hailing this triumph for British film-making"

Chapeau.....
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Re: Monday 23rd.May 2016.

Post by StephenDolan »

Manifesto Pledge of EU referendum could cause ten year recession.

Cameron didn't rule out voting Brexit that could cause ten year recession.

This arms length blame those who want to leave bollocks from Osborne and Cameron is annoying. Not as annoying as the lack of asking 'why did you do this?' from the MSM.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

http://www.channel4.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; has several articles summarising the election expenses investigations it has been conducting over the past few months.

Basically, when the contributions from activists are deducted (£50 standard, £25 students), 22 of the 29 constituencies examined spent £2,000-plus each over their local limit.
There is plenty of evidence that in most cases the MPs not only used the RoadTrip people for specifically local campaigning, but also referred to them as local campaigners.
The MPs, and their agents, did not declare the expenditure locally; this applies to several by-elections as well as the short campaign before the GE.

The costs for travel and accommodation for multiple "Stop Farage" events in South Thanet were not declared at all; large amounts of spending in Newark, Clacton, and Rochester/Strood, including £14,000 on hotels, was declared as a national expense even though these were by-elections and thus obviously local.

CCHQ has admitted to not declaring hotel expenditure for RoadTrip activists; but insists that the RoadTrip expenditure was otherwise part of the national campaign.
The activists' contribution of £50 (or less) covered - 5 days of transport, accommodation, and food. Not mentioned at all are the curry nights and free bars.

I have reported my issues with my new Tory MP for Brecon and Radnor Chris Davies, I've had no reply.
Mike Sivier has done likewise - he says "They are taking it seriously".
Good.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

There is a thing called Conservative Friends of Turkey - http://www.cfot.org.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Founder members include - Douglas Carswell, Daniel Hannan, Boris Johnson.....but, alas, no sign of Penny (Dreadful) Moron.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

A couple of fantastic graphs here.

My current favourites are the FOI rejections and the popularity of chancellors.

http://www.publicfinance.co.uk/analysis ... -june-2016" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Morning. Juxtaposition is great, isn't it?

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Seems all signs are the economy is slowing anyway and probably regardless of the referendum.

So, Osborne will be doing his very best to link the two. Getting his excuses in early.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Steve Hilton has come out for Brexit. Another reason not to vote Leave ?
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

yahyah wrote:Steve Hilton has come out for Brexit. Another reason not to vote Leave ?
Steve Hilton, who encouraged blue sky thinking such as removal of maternity leave?
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

The same.

But the media seem to be concentrating on the economy and immigration.
Important issues like employment rights don't seem to figure.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-morning, everyone.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

StephenDolan wrote:Manifesto Pledge of EU referendum could cause ten year recession.

Cameron didn't rule out voting Brexit that could cause ten year recession.

This arms length blame those who want to leave bollocks from Osborne and Cameron is annoying. Not as annoying as the lack of asking 'why did you do this?' from the MSM.
Yes. When any blame or censure is mentioned, Tory government or media say, 'It's Labour's fault'.
How do Tory leadership get away with not taking responsibility for what is demonstrably their foul-ups?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

yahyah wrote:The same.

But the media seem to be concentrating on the economy and immigration.
Important issues like employment rights don't seem to figure.
See there? This too.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

NonOxCol wrote:Morning. Juxtaposition is great, isn't it?

DWP Verified account
‏@DWP

Look for jobs up to a 90 minute commute away. Travelling further opens up more vacancies http://ow.ly/Xy4wP" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; #UniversalCredit

11:01 a.m. - 22 May 2016
Oh, hell, let's really unwind our potential - get ferried to Greece and help the population rescue others out of the sea.
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

Afterevetimorn all...

Jeremy Corbyn wants Ed Miliband to join his Shadow Cabinet after summer reshuffle

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/je ... nd-8029950

To my mind, an excellent idea....of course, the writer cites 'Labour MPs will be unhappy' as they 'blame him' for the success of Corbyn :roll:

...but it would shine a very uncomfortable light on the lies and obfuscation emanating from 'Nookiller power (built (or not) by the Chinese and French state-owned industries)' and all the 'green crap'...and possibly give Clouncy Funt the cold shiver of foreboding. It'd strengthen Corbyn a fair bit I've no doubt....but I'm also sure the Ed-loving-Corbyn-haters will have an issue with it.
Proud to be 1 of the 76% - Solidarity...because PODEMOS
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

Good to see more coverage overseas of the vindictive oppression and victimisation of British disabled people by their own Government - this from John McArdle (Black Triangle)...

Disability rights have never been under such a sustained, prolonged attack in Britain since the very foundation of the welfare state in 1945. The then-prime minister, Clement Atlee, had proclaimed to a war-weary population—whose rallying cry in the general election that year was “No return to the 1930s”—that a new post-war vision of a society where citizens would be cared for “from the cradle to the grave.”

And here we find ourselves again, 71 years on, returning rapidly to the Britain of the 1930s with no welfare state, no social security and where, if you find yourself unable to swim, compete or keep pace, in true Social Darwinism style, you sink. And it’s nobody’s your fault but your own.

According to Dr. Simon Duffy of the U.K. Centre for Welfare Reform, in the six years since the Conservative government came to power in 2010 following the global financial crisis, disabled people have been hit nine times harder than the rest of the population and, for those with severe disabilities, 19 times greater than the average person. This has been achieved through a combination of benefit, housing and social care cuts.

http://europe.newsweek.com/uk-governmen ... 1517?rm=eu

and good to see Ken Loach on the money yet again - I still believe(TM) that 'The Spirit Of '45' should be on the Primary School curriculum :)
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Lonewolfie wrote:Afterevetimorn all...

Jeremy Corbyn wants Ed Miliband to join his Shadow Cabinet after summer reshuffle

To my mind, an excellent idea....of course, the writer cites 'Labour MPs will be unhappy' as they 'blame him' for the success of Corbyn :roll:

...but it would shine a very uncomfortable light on the lies and obfuscation emanating from 'Nookiller power (built (or not) by the Chinese and French state-owned industries)' and all the 'green crap'...and possibly give Clouncy Funt the cold shiver of foreboding. It'd strengthen Corbyn a fair bit I've no doubt....but I'm also sure the Ed-loving-Corbyn-haters will have an issue with it.
"Ed-loving-Corbyn-haters"? Is that even a thing? I see Corbyn's policies as being quite close to Ed's. He is no more likely to win a general election, but he has been a better manager of Labour at the local level imo. He is consolidating Ed's move to the left. I can sympathise with Ed fans not particularly liking Corbyn's style, but hatred seems a little extreme. I don't agree Ed joining Corbyn's shadow cabinet would strengthen him, either. Best for Ed to continue to take a back seat, I think. It's likely Labour will change leader before 2020 and there should be a role for Ed then.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Excellent news about Miliband and Corbyn - knowing their work, I've never doubted they'd not work well together. Corbyn has
more than credibly set out his leadership and now is an excellent time for Miliband to come aboard. I don't understand how in
the world anyone would find this a problem. I've known what it is to work successfully as a member of a team with a responsible
leader.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

@Willow904
Ed Miliband is the former Labour leader we got cheated out of having in government.
Corbyn having Miliband working in a more prominent position now is a strong move providing continuity.
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

Willow904 wrote:

"Ed-loving-Corbyn-haters"? Is that even a thing? I see Corbyn's policies as being quite close to Ed's. He is no more likely to win a general election, but he has been a better manager of Labour at the local level imo. He is consolidating Ed's move to the left. I can sympathise with Ed fans not particularly liking Corbyn's style, but hatred seems a little extreme. I don't agree Ed joining Corbyn's shadow cabinet would strengthen him, either. Best for Ed to continue to take a back seat, I think. It's likely Labour will change leader before 2020 and there should be a role for Ed then.
Sorry - it was an oblique reference to some (not in here) who were most definitely pro-Ed and are now most definitely anti-Corbyn - FWIW I agree that the reality is that Corbyn and Miliband policies are very similar - and crucially, Eds' leadership has opened the way for Corbyn to go with the full 'anti-Austerity' message....if only Ed had gone with it...but it wasn't in the Westmonsturkeydochian script (Which, at the time, Ed had to go with even though, following his support of Leveson, the Murkydochian droogs would ensure that he got nowhere near power. (I include Crosby as a 'droog'))

WRT not winning a GE, I'm not sure about that - the eve of every election so far (Oldham West(?)/Local Elections/Mayoral) the warnings have been about how Corbyn is unelectable and Labour will implode....and yet....vote share up, winning elections with increased majorities etc - like him or not, the Labour movement is alive and kicking.

Let's have a snappy lection NOW :)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

StephenDolan wrote:A couple of fantastic graphs here.

My current favourites are the FOI rejections and the popularity of chancellors.

http://www.publicfinance.co.uk/analysis ... -june-2016" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Agreed about the Chancellors - wasn’t expecting Osborne going no higher than 10% approve given media's infatuation with Tory ministers. Osborne hasn't enjoyed the popularity of Brown and Darling. At all, ever.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

citizenJA wrote:@Willow904
Ed Miliband is the former Labour leader we got cheated out of having in government.
Corbyn having Miliband working in a more prominent position now is a strong move providing continuity.
One of Corbyn's advantages is his distance from the Blair/Brown years and Labour's recent failures. His promotion of new faces has been one of his successes. McDonnell is attempting to present a "fresh start" on economic policy. Although much of it echoes the direction Ed was heading in, I'm not sure voters will see it that way. They rejected Ed and bringing him back is tricky. He could attract negative coverage out of proportion to any role he takes because of his history as a "failed" leader. It may not necessarily be a bad thing, but I can't help but think it would cause Corbyn more trouble than it's worth. I would like to be proved wrong.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

One former front-bencher told the Times: "Ed shouldn't be in the Shadow Cabinet. He should be in jail for what he did to the Labour Party ."

- Jeremy Corbyn wants Ed Miliband to join his Shadow Cabinet after summer reshuffle

Why include IDS' opinion of the Labour party in the Mirror article?
But the idea of bringing Miliband back into Labour's top team is likely to face resistance from some Labour MPs.

He's blamed for allowing Corbyn to come to power, after changing party rules to allow anyone to vote in the leadership
election by paying £3.
Except that's not true, is it. Corbyn won the Labour leadership contest through Labour membership votes.
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

Willow904 wrote:
One of Corbyn's advantages is his distance from the Blair/Brown years and Labour's recent failures. His promotion of new faces has been one of his successes. McDonnell is attempting to present a "fresh start" on economic policy. Although much of it echoes the direction Ed was heading in, I'm not sure voters will see it that way. They rejected Ed and bringing him back is tricky. He could attract negative coverage out of proportion to any role he takes because of his history as a "failed" leader. It may not necessarily be a bad thing, but I can't help but think it would cause Corbyn more trouble than it's worth. I would like to be proved wrong.
This is where I have to disagree a bit - the demise of Labour in Scotland, fuelled by the Indyref, and the Tory machine eating their LostDeposit partners, using funds gained from a tiny number of people and used (allegedly) illegally, allowed TCC to regain power with 24% of the possible vote - tbf I'm not sure what anyone could've done...and as for 'failed leaders', it doesn't seem to have been an issue for the Great Reformer aka the Idiot Dippedin Sh1t.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Britain to enter recession with 500,000 UK jobs lost if it left EU, new Treasury analysis shows - 23 May 2016

HM Treasury, Prime Minister's Office, 10 Downing Street, The Rt Hon George Osborne MP and The Rt Hon David Cameron MP

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/brit ... ysis-shows" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

OOPs! That's already happened, Tory failures!
UK industry falls back into recession - 11 May 2016

Factory output was down in two consecutive quarters as the steel crisis helped drag down the sector’s overall output.
The wider measure of industrial production, which includes mining, rose by 0.3% month on month but was only 0.1%
higher than a year ago.
Phillip Inman

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... sion-steel" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

There are certainly people who strongly supported Ed M but are almost violently anti-Corbyn. Maybe EM joining Jez's SC might make some of them think?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Current government do nothing but intentionally create chaos, uncertainty and anxiety.
They've nothing to recommend themselves and all they have is expensively maintained diversionary antics.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:There are certainly people who strongly supported Ed M but are almost violently anti-Corbyn. Maybe EM joining Jez's SC might make some of them think?
Exactly!
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Lonewolfie wrote:
Willow904 wrote:
This is where I have to disagree a bit - the demise of Labour in Scotland, fuelled by the Indyref, and the Tory machine eating their LostDeposit partners, using funds gained from a tiny number of people and used (allegedly) illegally, allowed TCC to regain power with 24% of the possible vote - tbf I'm not sure what anyone could've done...and as for 'failed leaders', it doesn't seem to have been an issue for the Great Reformer aka the Idiot Dippedin Sh1t.
I'm not saying it's fair, it's certainly not what Ed Miliband deserves, but there is a danger he could be used as a convenient "squirrel" by those determined to keep Labour down. Anyway, this is all post-referendum speculation and the lie of the land may be very different by then. I still think Ed would have made an excellent PM, but that ship has sailed and Labour need to keep pressing forward (hopefully shedding old, unreformed Blairites in its wake).
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.habinteg.org.uk/responses/re ... ations-999" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Habinteg's response to DCLG’s technical consultation on starter homes regulations
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

@RobertSnozers
Thank you for your post regarding the election of the current Labour party leader. That was my understanding of the vote too. Hearing the results of the Labour leadership election and the virtually unequivocal support from members, supporters and affiliates for Corbyn, I was reassured though I'd voted for another first and Corbyn next. All I wanted was unity.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

citizenJA wrote:
One former front-bencher told the Times: "Ed shouldn't be in the Shadow Cabinet. He should be in jail for what he did to the Labour Party ."

- Jeremy Corbyn wants Ed Miliband to join his Shadow Cabinet after summer reshuffle

Why include IDS' opinion of the Labour party in the Mirror article?
But the idea of bringing Miliband back into Labour's top team is likely to face resistance from some Labour MPs.

He's blamed for allowing Corbyn to come to power, after changing party rules to allow anyone to vote in the leadership
election by paying £3.
Except that's not true, is it. Corbyn won the Labour leadership contest through Labour membership votes.
I suspect Jeremy's trying to draw the factions together. He'll gradually get the reasonable MPs from both sides of the party on board. And those that won't comply, he'll quietly drop. Nothing he does will be in your face. He's not confrontational.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://speye.wordpress.com/2016/05/23/ ... t-by-fear/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RTBe is asocial housing management by fear
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PF's been quiet for the last few days...Hope nothing's wrong.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Re the comments on the Labour leadership election, anecdotal accounts suggest there were more people voting 1 Kendall 2 Corbyn than some might have expected (and the other way, too) This isn't as counter intuitive as some might think - both Burnham and Cooper were seen by quite a few to represent a discredited party "establishment" whilst Jez and Liz were both (in their very different ways) setting themselves up as something "different" from that.

It is IMO highly likely that had the calculations been done, LK's transfers alone would have been enough to give JC a majority of "full" members.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ohsocynical wrote:PF's been quiet for the last few days...Hope nothing's wrong.
So do I.

Shout out to PF if you are looking in.
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Radio 4 - You and Yours on the PIP debacle. Last week they had Crabb on spouting fatuous nonsense when confronted with tales of people being refused PIP and then given the highest rate on appeal. He declared it was all down to them not providing the correct medical information at the first assessment even though the people interviewed clearly said they had provided evidence from their GP and consultant first time around.

So this week - You and Yours tell us lots of people wrote in to say how wrong Crabb was. Good. They interview another couple of people who tell them awful stories about the assessment and how - despite medical evidence being available - they were turned down and have been left in dire straits. The minister (Crabb) won't return to answer these further questions apparently. So they get Debbie Abrahams,Shadow Minister on to speak. She's good - she knows her stuff. She accepts Labour got it wrong when they first introduced the WCA. But all the interviewer wants her to repeatedly answer is whether Labour would commit to 'contain the cost of disability benefits'. Apparently the government's pledge to curb payouts to disabled people is very popular - so You and Yours tells us. Abrahams points out that the UK used to spend 3% of GDP on disability benefits - it's now down to just over 1% of GDP - and we rank about 19th in the scale of how well western countries support disabled people financially. Not good enough for the interviewer - she must ask Labour the same question over and over again. It's not a question that can or should be answered in abitrary isolation ... grrrrrrh.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tory men dominate EU referendum coverage, study finds
Report finds battle between David Cameron and Boris Johnson taking centre stage in media over multi-party debate

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/m ... nson-media" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
No - surely not?
... The media’s coverage of the European Union referendum debate has been a largely male, Conservative affair in which the new era of multi-party politics has been ignored in favour of the rivalry between David Cameron and Boris Johnson, new research has claimed.

A study of print and broadcast coverage found that only one in 10 contributors to the debate in the national press were women, with Johnson, Cameron and George Osborne the top three most frequently featured across both media. On television, fewer than one in six people on screen were women.

The Loughborough University report, published on Monday, found that Tory party sources dominated press and TV reporting, with Labour voices sidelined and the Lib Dems and Scottish National party “virtually invisible”...
If there is any hint of blaming Labour for not participating enough in the debate .... hope people will point the media people publishing such hints and suggestions straight back at this.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

The following story cannot be true,must have got their days mixed up.

http://www.derbyshiretimes.co.uk/news/b ... -1-7925617" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Beast of Bolsover Dennis Skinner 'resting' after hospital stay
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

RR2 "All attempts by successive Governments have led to abysmal failure in those terms with tragic results wasting taxpayers money that could be far better used in the process"
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Its going right down to the wire in Austria :shock:
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Peter Henley
‏@BBCPeterH
Journos at PMs event in Eastleigh amazed at stage-management. @BandQ staff who asked public Qus stopped from talking
Hand put over the camera - no less.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Its going right down to the wire in Austria :shock:
Many postal votes left to be counted?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

1m house pretty but.jpg
1m house pretty but.jpg (52.25 KiB) Viewed 7104 times
In Cardigan - £100,000 ish.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

StephenDolan wrote:
About two thirds of them still to be counted I think.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Iain Martin ‏@iainmartin1 8m8 minutes ago
Jeremy Vine just now on R2, seriously, to vicar: Is it possible to say what Jesus wld have done in this referendum?
No - not really?
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:
About two thirds of them still to be counted I think.
Thanks AK and RR.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Guardian in "more snide about Loach than it is about the women-only Ghostbusters remake" shocker...

http://www.theguardian.com/film/filmblo ... palme-d-or" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Spoiled his paper.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"random response to Loach generator"