Tuesday 24th May 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Tuesday 24th May 2016

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Morning.
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 24th May 2016

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Austerity is far more than just cuts. It’s about privatising everything we own
Aditya Chakrabortty
Desperate for short-term cash, George Osborne is causing long-term damage by selling off Britain’s most prized assets. ‘Everything must go’ is now public policy
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... ain-assets" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Why the austerity programme is not merely reversible by a different government should they get in but horribly destructive long term.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Paul Lewis ‏@paullewismoney 1h1 hour ago
Project dear: Leaving EU will raise cost of family-of-4 holiday by £230 http://goo.gl/2nJgJY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Can they really keep this up for 30 days?
Apparently the 'officials' have to go into purdah from this Friday. Assume that means no more releases of reports, models, studies etc that get seized on. Welcome relief - maybe it will settle down into some sensible discussion rather than the my claim is bigger than yours, so there we've got at the moment.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Morning

Eoin Clarke is repeating his claim that there will be a big #ToryElectionFraud story today.

:twisted:
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Morning

Eoin Clarke is repeating his claim that there will be a big #ToryElectionFraud story today.

:twisted:
Yes, he says 'within hours'. Very annoying I've got to be outside working. I'm pretty sure that even if it is actually humongous Radio 4 ain't going to cover it!
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Don't let us down Eoin.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Morning all.

Project Fear....more expensive holidays, no cuts to roaming charges, no more booze cruises as we won't have any more duty-free.....what?
Duty applied to alcohol (or whatever) we bring home from our holidays is down to the UK government. Nowt to do with the EU.
They're just making stuff up now.
Thank god for the purdah.
(If they stick to it)

I am getting annoyed with Eoin now.
Let's get on with it.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

Elsewhere in Eoin's Twitter timeline he comments on a BBC article which (touting contentious idea that Labour has allegedly lost touch with the working class) implies that JC's Islington constituency is a middle class, Guardianista type of place. Bits of Islington might be like that, but his bit is not - still mostly working class and with areas of deprivation.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

It'll probably be on a small blog, wouldn't Channel 4 be putting out a tantalising tweet if they have the story ?
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

Man trolls his pro-Brexit neighbour with inspired EU referendum banner

Brexit has been tearing Tory friends apart - and it seems they're not the only ones.

A brilliant banner battle has emerged in a London suburb after a Remainer trolled his neighbour's campaign to Leave.

Frank Chalmers, 61, helpfully added to the words "Vote Leave" with a homespun slogan: "... If you want to cut workers' rights."

The image has proved an online hit after it was posted on Twitter by Frank's son Malcolm, 33.

But fortunately there's no bad blood between the neighbours in Gospel Oak, north London.

Malcolm told the Evening Standard: "He gave the neighbours a bottle of wine as a peace offering.

"Everyone's entitled to their opinion and my dad's just the type of person who likes to make a point in a humorous manner."

Things aren't so lucky for former Eton and Oxford boys David Cameron and Boris Johnson.

The Prime Minister admitted his friendship with the former mayor had suffered after they came out on opposite sides of the debate.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ma ... ur-8035675" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Glad to hear they're keeping it good natured. :D

On the last point though, I doubt whether Cameron and Johnson were ever that pally, despite (or maybe because of) the fact that they've got so much in common.

Cameron thinks BoJo is an embarrassment and a loose cannon, but has tolerated him because he thinks he's got the common touch (although it's debatable if his appeal stretches further than Watford). Since Johnson went for Brexit, Cameron's dislike has turned to something far more toxic.

Johnson resents Cameron for not bothering to engage with politics at university, and sees him as an effete poseur, which to be fair isn't that far off the mark. He also resents Cameron's rising to the top of the greasy pole whilst being so lightweight. When Paxman said to him that Cameron got a First, Johnson replied 'but it was in PPE!' (note that notorious idiot Toby Young, who failed his A-levels but got into Oxford due to an admin error, also somehow managed a First in PPE). None of this is to suggest that Johnson himself is any great shakes.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

yahyah wrote:It'll probably be on a small blog, wouldn't Channel 4 be putting out a tantalising tweet if they have the story ?
Last night he talked about it being too late for the 'front pages' - so I'm assuming it's meant to be the print / online media. Who knows? Only Eoin at present.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Operation "we was robbed not enough voted our way" continues,apparently we have to be ready .I suspect evidence of a drug that forces people to vote Tory or the use of hypnosis.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

HindleA wrote:Operation "we was robbed not enough voted our way" continues,apparently we have to be ready .I suspect evidence of a drug that forces people to vote Tory or the use of hypnosis.
Special sunglasses required a la John Carpenter's They Live. ;)
martinson
Backbencher

Post by martinson »

Good morning.
Nissan Micra - dead cat?
Fracking announcement - dead cat?
Something brewing??
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

Morning all. Steve Bell's cartoon in today's Guardian is wonderful:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... it-cartoon
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

martinson wrote:Good morning.
Nissan Micra - dead cat?
Something brewing??
The amount of coverage an old micra is getting is freaking ridiculous.
However. Can you imagine the slant taken by the MSM if say an Ed Miliband had bought Justine such a car?

This couple of Eoin hours is multiplying....
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Well as I said he (EC) has past form. I doubt there is no story at all, but wonder if it will be quite as big as he has been making out.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

HindleA wrote:Operation "we was robbed not enough voted our way" continues,apparently we have to be ready .I suspect evidence of a drug that forces people to vote Tory or the use of hypnosis.

No - it's special blue chemicals they put in the water. I blame the privatisation of the water industry, personally.

Seriously, though, A - as we can never know how people in the CCHQ-targeted 40/40 constituencies would have voted had they not been love-bombed at vast expense by RoadTrip etc. you are right to have a little poke at the "we woz robbed" cohort....

But - I am of that tendency, because hard campaigning works. Labour didn't lose that many votes outside Scotland; it was the heartlands of the LibDems where most of the activity got a result for the Tories, like Devon, Cornwall, and Gloucestershire.
But any party that lost out because they were not engaged in a fair fight, then to my mind the result has to be questionable; and if it turns out that CCHQ knowingly overspent on local campaigning, there should be a re-run under the correct procedures.

Not only should that apply to the GE, it should also apply to the by-elections where it is alleged the Tories spent way over the allowed £100,000 - Farage is an utter prat and would likely not have won in Thanet anyway, but he wasn't in a fair fight.

I don't know what drama Eoin has on offer today; he's exasperating me at the moment. But I am glad that there are police investigations and extensions - the Tories have plenty of form when it comes to subverting democracy, after all.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

StephenDolan wrote:
martinson wrote:Good morning.
Nissan Micra - dead cat?
Something brewing??
The amount of coverage an old micra is getting is freaking ridiculous.
However. Can you imagine the slant taken by the MSM if say an Ed Miliband had bought Justine such a car?

This couple of Eoin hours is multiplying....
I know. What kind of husband and father of means buys an old banger for the wife and kids to run around in rather than something brand new with the latest in crumple zone technology? There is no way Cameron's Micra is for his wife, unless it's for his wife to give to the nanny, I suppose. My husband had an horrific thought - buying a second hand car for 1,500 has a bit of a familiar ring to it. Surely Dodgy Dave isn't taking part in a Top Gear challenge? I really, really hope not, and yet.......OMG! :sick:
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Leeds were cheated out of the 1973 European Cup Winners Cup versus AC Milan ,by corrupt officialdom ,despite attempts to overturn the result still stands.I think they should have a replay with all that still remain.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

The simple fact is that if the Tories did overtly break the rules (as opposed to bend them, as all parties do) to get an unfair advantage, that is both morally wrong and illegal. If, as seems likely, they would easily have been the biggest party anyway (which hopefully answers AH's implied criticism above) then it was stupid and hubristic as well.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Not really poking fun more not ignoring the fact of nearly two million more Tory voters.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Don't take me too seriously,I don't.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

HindleA wrote:Don't take me too seriously,I don't.

:lol!:
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

HindleA wrote:Leeds were cheated out of the 1973 European Cup Winners Cup versus AC Milan ,by corrupt officialdom ,despite attempts to overturn the result still stands.I think they should have a replay with all that still remain.
Sounds fair enough. Similarly the notorious Liverpool v Inter Milan semifinal. Perhaps they can be played back to back!

Is there likely to be much of a future for Gove, Johnson, Mourdant etc in government post referendum? Are we anticipating much blood letting?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

HindleA wrote:Not really poking fun more not ignoring the fact of nearly two million more Tory voters.
Well that is a fair point and I alluded to it above.

If all this stuff gets proved another thing it strongly suggests is that, despite their protestations, the Tories really *did* believe the polls. Which were, as we all know, wrong.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
HindleA wrote:Not really poking fun more not ignoring the fact of nearly two million more Tory voters.
Well that is a fair point and I alluded to it above.

If all this stuff gets proved another thing it strongly suggests is that, despite their protestations, the Tories really *did* believe the polls. Which were, as we all know, wrong.
I suppose it comes down to which polling (internal?) and when (before /after TV debates, big Facebook campaign, SNP warning from both Cameron and Sturgeon). Gove looked genuinely surprised at the exit polls.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Again, radio silence from PF. Hope that they are OK.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

The Torygraph has a story about how Brexit would stop us having access to medicines and could slow down finding a cure for cancer.

FFS.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

RobertSnozers wrote:
Or to look at it another way, 6% more voters than Labour, but 15% more seats.

Your comment sounds a little trollish, to be frank. I don't think there's anything 'dog in the manger' about deploring fraud.

"Trollish"?

No.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Well, it took some time, but it looks like CCHQ finally managed to find some Labour expenses to complain about. They'll now be able to shrug off the election expenses furore as a multi-party problem - at least until the verdicts come in, at any rate:

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/po ... cat-smiths" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Police have launched an investigation into Labour frontbencher Cat Smith over her expenses during the 2015 general election campaign.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

So all those confident MSM predictions that Mayor Khan would appoint Andrew Adonis as a key adviser turned out to be rubbish, then. Who knew?
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

The Telegraph headlining 'Brexit could cause mortgages to rise' might push older voters back to Leave.
Interest rates on savings are very low at the moment, if Brexit pushes up rates they may see it as a good thing.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Eoin is saying that 'last minute tech maintenance'' is the reason for the delay in 'today's election expenses scandal'.

Sounds a bit 'the dog ate my homework Miss'.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

yahyah wrote:Eoin is saying that 'last minute tech maintenance'' is the reason for the delay in 'today's election expenses scandal'.

Sounds a bit 'the dog ate my homework Miss'.
In too much of a hurry...
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Loobyloo ‏@joanna_caron 19m19 minutes ago
North Yorkshire Tory voters are screaming injustice at their Tory council imposing fracking,but were happy to vote for misery on rest of us!
9 retweets 6 likes
Reply Retweeted 9
Like 6
More

Loobyloo ‏@joanna_caron 6m6 minutes ago
@joanna_caron

They've campaigned vigorously against fracking, not heard them screaming about homelessness/child poverty/disability cuts etc!
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Blair commentating on Corbyn. Is this now going to turn anyone away from being a Labour supporter?

Obviously this is a very bad thing as far as Rentoul, DFH etc are concerned but for the voting public?

A poll of the perception of Blair now across the voting spectrum would be interesting.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

ohsocynical wrote:Loobyloo ‏@joanna_caron 19m19 minutes ago
North Yorkshire Tory voters are screaming injustice at their Tory council imposing fracking,but were happy to vote for misery on rest of us!
9 retweets 6 likes
Reply Retweeted 9
Like 6
More

@joanna_caron

They've campaigned vigorously against fracking, not heard them screaming about homelessness/child poverty/disability cuts etc!
Tories knew Tories wanted to expand fracking. For them I have no sympathy, only disgust. If it was a crucial decision for voting at the GE then vote accordingly. Things you actively vote for can affect you and your family.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

9 retweets 6 likes
Reply Retweeted 9
Like 6
More

@joanna_caron

Exactly what I was thinking.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

StephenDolan wrote:
9 retweets 6 likes
Reply Retweeted 9
Like 6
More

@joanna_caron

Tories knew Tories wanted to expand fracking. For them I have no sympathy, only disgust. If it was a crucial decision for voting at the GE then vote accordingly. Things you actively vote for can affect you and your family.
David Cameron actually said they were going to go "all out for gas". I know you can't believe everything he says, but still, in what world does that mean anything other than expect some frackers to turn up on your doorstep imminently? Everywhere facing fracking would have known it was coming to them as opposed to elsewhere as exploratory licences were granted some time ago.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Well, the good news is that AS's blog is free of 'VOTE BREXIT' posters with stuck cap lock keys.
The bad news is it is jam packed with Blair haters instead.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

The @LabourEoin thing is all very mysterious. Would have expected any new vague allegations to have surfaced by now. Wonder if it's like when @RealNatalieRowe hinted at the Whittingdale thing, only for the Independent to pull the story at the last minute? I guess if it's anything, we'll find out eventually. The recent efforts to drag Labour down with them suggests the Tories know they're not going to come out of this completely exonerated, doesn't it? Have to go out now, so if something big is going to break, it'll be along the minute I'm out through the door I expect. :)
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Maybe a whistleblower has got cold feet, or the evidence to report it legally hasn't materialised.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Off to do some potting up of seedlings. Hope something has materialised by supper time.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

List of companies that uses Monsanto products.
In light of the recent public anger over the Monsanto Protection Act, here’s a simple, printable list of companies that use Monsanto products. By avoiding products made by companies on this list, you can help ensure your money isn’t going to Monsanto and also watch out for the health of your family and yourself.

Read More: http://www.trueactivist.com/ ... urn false;
Hobiejoe
Minister of State

Post by Hobiejoe »

yahyah wrote:Off to do some potting up of seedlings. Hope something has materialised by supper time.
Blimey, that's some fast growing plants you've got there.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Google offices in Paris raided by tax authorities
About 100 investigators search tech firm’s HQ as part of inquiry into tax payments, reports claim

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Hobiejoe wrote:
yahyah wrote:Off to do some potting up of seedlings. Hope something has materialised by supper time.
Blimey, that's some fast growing plants you've got there.
:lol:

It's all the rain we get here !
We're very late with most of them, my couple of months of ill health put the kybosh on gardening work.

Nothing about the Tory scandal yet ?
Oh well, it'll be a cup of tea and no news then.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Well some good news, French police have raided Google offices re tax.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

StephenDolan wrote:
9 retweets 6 likes
Reply Retweeted 9
Like 6
More

@joanna_caron

Well said. This is just about the worst idea possible. I like a nuclear facility over this and I don't like nuclear. But I'd take it over
hydraulic fracturing. This is endgame manoeuvres, people, and those who will profit from it won't live around it. People don't have
the right to use the environment this way. I can't be cajoled, or sneered at or gotten 'round by any sophistry. This is a disaster.
End of.