Wednesday 15th June 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Re: Wednesday 15th June 2016

Post by ohsocynical »

@Ephie.

Hope everything went ok for Ringmaster and he's home safe and well....
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

HindleA wrote:Because she is a gobby shite?
Because she's Murdoch's representative on earth
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:Is anyone else experiencing delayed reaction and jerkiness with the site this evening?
Yes, a bit, but it's been this way a couple days for me. I use a Linux operating system. It can be temperamental, inelegant in function.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:I think the fact that it is now being commonly referred to as 'Osborne's punishment budget' has put paid to any vestiges of credibility and ambition he may have still had.
He'll be in a reasonable position if there is a Brexit and the economy stalls, as most think it will.
Head on a spike outside the Treasury
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

HindleA wrote:Explanation of the Supreme Court proceedings,I mentioned earlier.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Out here in West Lothian, we have FirstGroup buses which are pretty much as described - one wheelchair space; driver has to get out to manually deploy the ramp; if a pram owner refuses to move, tough!
Contrast this with Lothian Buses who operate mainly in the city of Edinburgh - many of their buses have both a wheelchair space and a buggy space; the hydraulic ramp is operated without the driver leaving his/her seat; wheelchairs have priority.
If there is no wheelchair user on the bus, other passengers or one unfolded buggy may occupy the wheelchair space. Please note that wheelchair users have priority over everyone else for use of the wheelchair space, since this is the only space in which they can travel safely. Whenever the space is required by a wheelchair user, other passengers must move to make it available, and any buggies must be folded and stored safely elsewhere. Any buggy user who chooses to get off the bus so that a wheelchair user can travel will be issued with a receipt so that they can continue their journey free of charge on another bus.
http://lothianbuses.com/about-us/commun ... ible-buses
So if the operator has the will to cater for wheelchairs, it can be done. However, there are two differences between Lothian Buses and FirstGroup:
a) FirstGroup operate mainly elderly buses which appear to be only replaced when absolutely necessary, whereas Lothian Buses have a modern fleet with a rolling upgrade programme.
b) FirstGroup are purely in it for profit, Lothian Buses is a company owned by Edinburgh Council, which returns a dividend to the council (despite its lower fares).
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

ohsocynical wrote:Jeremy Cliffe ‏@JeremyCliffe 6h6 hours ago

Just astonishing: Boris not even cabinet minister but already offering Nigel Farage a place in his government.
Hubris.

He'd win if it came down to the last two as it is then down to members but getting in the final two? Not guaranteed by any means. There would definitely be a "Stop Boris" wing of the party.

Someone said earlier about Hammond - thought about him being a likely candidate the other day.

All academic really - not even certain that anyone would force a contest.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:Jeremy Cliffe ‏@JeremyCliffe 6h6 hours ago

Just astonishing: Boris not even cabinet minister but already offering Nigel Farage a place in his government.
What in the world does Farage do?
What position is he being offered?
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

@Paul - sent you a PM.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

"It seems to me that many teachers who are instinctively Left-wing understand that the EU is
an elitist and anti-democratic institution, but they don’t have the guts to come out for Brexit."
he sat alone in a room and fantasised into existence cowardly, instinctively left-wing teachers certain the EU was elitist anti-democratic institutionalism
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

refitman wrote:@Paul - sent you a PM.
Not arrived yet feel free to email me ;-)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Thanks for information Eric_WLothian.All buses have to be accessible by next January,but of course the case highlights why that might be enough in reality terms to ensure actual access to travel.
TR'sGhost
Minister of State

Post by TR'sGhost »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
TR'sGhost wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:Michael CrickVerified account
‏@MichaelLCrick

Farage friend says he's been approached by Boris camp about job in Johnson govt & place in Lords to avoid fighting possible Thanet by-elect
I'm shocked and surprised. Not.

Though how the People's Army (sic) would react to the Glorious Fuhrage joining the LibLabCon Cultural Marxist Traitor's Party would be entertaining to see.
I don't think they'd care tbh. He can do no wrong ...
True.
I'm getting tired of calming down....
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

TR'sGhost wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
TR'sGhost wrote: I'm shocked and surprised. Not.

Though how the People's Army (sic) would react to the Glorious Fuhrage joining the LibLabCon Cultural Marxist Traitor's Party would be entertaining to see.
I don't think they'd care tbh. He can do no wrong ...
True.
Would there be a UKIP after Brexit? Some will just go back to the tories, and the faithful are going to be lefft stranded methinks. Discarded as useful idiots
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

“You would have to show the British public you had a credible plan to deal with the public finances,” Osborne insisted. Pressed on
whether it would spell the end of his own career, he said: “It’s not about one politician, it’s not about one political career … this is
about the future of our country, about who we are as a country. What’s the point of getting involved in public life if you’re not
prepared to fight for the things you think are really important to our country and its future, its standing in the world and for
jobs and prosperity?”

- Tories revolt over Osborne's Brexit 'punishment' budget

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... -tax-rises" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Six years of this person's Chancellorship
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

If it wasn't for everything else involved in this, I would be taking a grim, malicious and malevolent pleasure in this slow motion blow-up of everything in Cameron and Osborne's faces. Reality is grinding in on them and come what may, they are toast. Even they know it's out of control now.
The truth ferret speaks!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Questioning the judgment of Osborne, who has for years been one of his closest political friends, Gove said in a BBC Question Time
interview: “There is no need for an emergency budget. The truth is, if we vote to leave we will be in an economically stronger position.”
theatre acting language from all the Tory MPs named in the article, it's a burlesque
these people are playing games
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Wales' rarest species of animal, bird and plant are being assigned an assembly member each to champion their cause.
From red squirrels to dolphins, 60 of the most threatened wildlife in Wales will be paired with a politician.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-3652 ... name=wales" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
... Among the other species adopted at a launch on Wednesday were Arctic terns, otters, red squirrel and dolphin.
Gower AM Rebecca Evans has an extra constituent to keep an eye on - the Black Oil Beetle
Russell George will help conserve the Pearl Bordered Fritillary, whose last remaining stronghold in Wales is in his Montgomeryshire constituency.
Preseli Pembrokeshire AM Paul Davies will adopt the puffin, a familiar face with around 6,000 breeding pairs on Skomer Island off the coast.
Huw Irranca Davies - Lapwing
Rhun ap Iorwerth - Chough
Elin Jones - sea trout (sewin)
Kirsty Williams - brown trout
Ken Skates - salmon
The butterfly Small Blue might appeal to another of the Conservatives, but conservationists will be hoping politicians do not worry too much about being associated with the Grizzled Skipper, the fungus Purple Earth Tongue, or the Common Toad.
I'm saying nothing about some of those pairings.
Working on the wild side.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

...the former Labour chancellor Alistair Darling, at prime minister’s questions, saying the financial shock of leaving the EU must
not be ignored. “Nobody wants to have an emergency budget. Nobody wants to have cuts in public services. Nobody wants to have tax
increases,” he said. “But I would say this. There is only one thing worse than not addressing a crisis in your public finances through a
budget, and that is ignoring it.”

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... -tax-rises" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(my bold)

Wait. Darling is no longer an MP. What the hell is he doing in the House of Commons during PMQs, please? He's Lord Darling of Roulanish now.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

How is this pronounced?
Roulanish
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

You have misread,preceded by "Cameron backed him and the former Labour chancellor Alistair Darling, at prime minister’s questions .....
TR'sGhost
Minister of State

Post by TR'sGhost »

PorFavor wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
PorFavor wrote: Not too sunny today - but nice and warm (other people call it hot). I love it! Thanks for asking.

Edited to add -

It needs to be in the mid-upper 80s(F) for me to consider it hot. And i love that, too (more). At the risk of putting everyone off their food and\or drink - I like to sweat. Or perspire. Or glow (that last one always sound a bit unhealthily radioactive).
I've had a warm cardigan on today. :( My feet are like ice blocks.

Agree about the heat. I don't warm up until it's 74. Mid eighties and I might perspire gently. :D

I've been wearing a cardigan, too (a lightish one, though). And socks. Still, it's a lot better than it has been. It's warm enough for the cat to have taken off her cardie (figuratively speaking). You can tell when they're content with the temperature, can't you? I don't imagine she'd like it as hot as I do.
The warmer the better as far as most cats are concerned. One of ours (number 6 out of a total of 8 over the years, maximum at any one time 4) makes a rush for the airing cupboard every time the door is opened. Once inside she fortifies herself at the back with a pile of towels, socks, whatever behind the hot water tank. At which point all natural functions just seem to cease, other than snoring. Food, water, litter tray all quite unnecessary. She usually has to be forcibly dug out in the end. The temperature in her favourite spot is over 90F.

We've thought of offering her up as a candidate for the first Earth life form to be sent to another star system. A century in suspended animation getting there would be no problem, just stick an airing cupboard in the capsule and there you go. Technologically attainable and cheap as well.

Waking her up when she reaches her destination might be a bit tricky though. And the thought of her negotiating with the local aliens on behalf of Earth isn't exactly reassuring.
Last edited by TR'sGhost on Wed 15 Jun, 2016 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I am softly spoken I don't think you would hear my pronounciation from here.

I am being silly,for which I apologise.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

citizenJA wrote:
Questioning the judgment of Osborne, who has for years been one of his closest political friends, Gove said in a BBC Question Time
interview: “There is no need for an emergency budget. The truth is, if we vote to leave we will be in an economically stronger position.”
theatre acting language from all the Tory MPs named in the article, it's a burlesque
these people are playing games
"The truth is"?

That's the latest "the fact is" right?

The line where you know that what follows is anything but!
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

RR2 the few I know,seem to be appropriate.
TR'sGhost
Minister of State

Post by TR'sGhost »

citizenJA wrote:
PorFavor wrote:Is anyone else experiencing delayed reaction and jerkiness with the site this evening?
Yes, a bit, but it's been this way a couple days for me. I use a Linux operating system. It can be temperamental, inelegant in function.
Try sacrificing a goat. Generally does the trick with tempremental Unix-like systems. Other than Apple OS X. That requires soothing into relaxed submission by hours of whale song and the sound of California surf. If time matters and hours aren't hours available, a strong joint might do the trick.

Windows generally behaves best when threatened with a hammer.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

That weirdest feeling / admission that Steve Hilton on Newsnight seemed to talk more reasonably about the EU referendum than just about anyone else I've seen or heard today ... just that unfortunate caveat of him rating Cameron and thinking he'd be the best person to negotiate Brexit ...
Working on the wild side.