Friday 17th June 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Friday 17th June 2016

Post by yahyah »

Morning all.
Last edited by yahyah on Fri 17 Jun, 2016 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Re: Friday 16th June 2016

Post by yahyah »

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... gn-cartoon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

Morning all.
More evidence of how unelectable Labour have become under Corbyn.
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

From Twitter:
2016-06-17_073338.jpg
2016-06-17_073338.jpg (184.94 KiB) Viewed 9780 times
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

Neil Kinnock just given a very moving interview on BBC Breakfast regarding Jo Cox. She was a long standing family friend & he said they considered her like a niece. Poor guy was in tears
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Morning. Good result from Tooting. Very sad and sober morning otherwise.

Just to keep those of us who might need to know reassured we are not as doolally as we fear - it's not actually the 16th of June folks. It's the 17th. I had to check.
Working on the wild side.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

danesclose wrote:From Twitter:
2016-06-17_073338.jpg

Neither was the Daily Star ''Labour MP dead after attack by Brexit gunman. Jo, 41, butchered in the street'.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Morning. Good result from Tooting. Very sad and sober morning otherwise.

Just to keep those of us who might need to know reassured we are not as doolally as we fear - it's not actually the 16th of June folks. It's the 17th. I had to check.

Fixed now. In my defence it was quarter past six in the morning.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

yahyah wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:Morning. Good result from Tooting. Very sad and sober morning otherwise.

Fixed now. In my defence it was quarter past six in the morning.
No defence required yahyah. I could have done the same at any time of day.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Re: Friday 17th June 2016

Post by yahyah »

June is rolling past, nearly the shortest day.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Britain is in the midst of a working-class revolt
John Harris
Across the nation this past week I’ve heard the same refrain: ‘No one listens to us, no one cares.’ Now those ignored for so long are demanding a voice
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... referendum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A lot of this chimes with the kinds of conversations and views I hear on doorsteps.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Didn't sleep very well.

My husband reminded me that I had told him the other day that things were turning ugly.
I spent a lot of time reporting posts on Cif that wanted remain supporters or campaign leaders to be [often very offensively or sociopathically put] hung as traitors, or to die horrible deaths, sometimes during sexual acts.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

RobertSnozers wrote:I'm extremely wary of speculating about the motives behind the killing of Jo Cox, but this website appears to have evidence of literature purchased from a far right source by the alleged killer

https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/201 ... U.facebook" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Morning all.

I've left that somewhere where it might shut someone up - if only temporarily.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Good to hear that Boris Johnson has said Farage's anti-immigrant poster is not his politics.
Maybe yesterday will be a wake up call.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:I'm extremely wary of speculating about the motives behind the killing of Jo Cox, but this website appears to have evidence of literature purchased from a far right source by the alleged killer

https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/201 ... U.facebook" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Morning all.

I've left that somewhere where it might shut someone up - if only temporarily.

Blimey, that sounds hardcore. This isn't just a man who just chatted to a few right wing mates in the pub.

I would also like to say, as someone who suffers mental health problems, as do many people, it is not synonymous with having such issues to research and further becoming a right wing terrorist.
Or to learn about making explosive devices and weapons. Or to want to murder people.

It does the unwell an injustice to suggest people are always without agency in their actions.
Apart from very few illnesses, there are always choices and decisions one can make along the way.

It is something my lovely CPN said to me the other week, about our intrinsic values and what makes us take stances.
Those values are there, often regardless of external or internal circumstances.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

yahyah wrote:June is rolling past, nearly the shortest day.
Longest? Get a grip, woman! Or is it winter again? It's dark and very wet here. Warmi(ish).

I hope you're feeling ok, by the way. Stressful times. (Don't mention the times . . . . )
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

PorFavor wrote:
Longest? Get a grip, woman! Or is it winter again? It's dark and very wet here. Warmi(ish).

I hope you're feeling ok, by the way. Stressful times. (Don't mention the times . . . . )
Or maybe she's gone to the southern hemisphere, which would be quite understandable given the hell that the north is becoming.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-morning, everyone.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

PorFavor wrote:

Stressful times indeed. Understanding how the fear/threat physical responses are triggered helps.
And now my physical health is coming under control, and all the excess fluid buildup has gone, there's less worry about that.

Hope things not too bad with you :hug:
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

yahyah wrote:I would also like to say, as someone who suffers mental health problems, as do many people, it is not synonymous with having such issues to research and further becoming a right wing terrorist.
Or to learn about making explosive devices and weapons. Or to want to murder people.
@yahyah, many thanks for succinctly saying what I've been trying to say.
Regarding the "lone nutter" excuse put forward by a number of papers, as Owen Jones pointed out this morning, when Lee Rigby was tragically murdered, the mental health history of one of his killers wasn't debated, rather the emphasis was on the ideology he followed
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

Full Tooting result. Thankfully UKIP came 5th & lost their deposit
Britain Elects
‏@britainelects

Tooting, result:
LAB: 55.9% (+8.7)
CON: 36.1% (-5.8)
GRN: 2.6% (-1.5)
LDEM: 2.6% (-1.4)
UKIP: 1.6% (-1.3)
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Via Peter Jukes:

A boss, a worker and an immigrant sit at a table with twelve cookies.
The boss takes eleven cookies. He says to the worker 'careful, that immigrant wants your cookie'.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

danesclose wrote:Full Tooting result. Thankfully UKIP came 5th & lost their deposit
Britain Elects
‏@britainelects

Tooting, result:

Some good news. Thanks.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

What is perhaps reassuring is how little traction the "crazed loner" tag is getting. I think most folk see right through it.

Having said that, and not wanting to prejudge things we don't know yet, it will be very interesting to see how this incident is ultimately framed by the establishment.

I hope they lift the "pause" in campaigning soon. I'm not sure Jo Cox would have wanted the debate to stop there.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I woke up very early this morning thinking of Jo Cox
dreadful and dark, her assassination

May her family and friends have love and support
Accept my condolences, please
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

yahyah wrote:
danesclose wrote:Full Tooting result. Thankfully UKIP came 5th & lost their deposit
Britain Elects
‏@britainelects

Tooting, result:
Some good news. Thanks.
Absolutely good new, thank you all posting after I went to bed last night. I just didn't have enough energy to continue.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Maybe all the people saying Mair wasn't political don't understand what right wing ideology is ?

Just because he wasn't an activist for a mainstream political party doesn't mean he wasn't political.
His alleged contact with extremist racist libertarians shows he was.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Thank you, and danesclose.

I'm a jumbler of words, particularly when emotional, but feel it very strongly so am glad the meaning is clear, and agreed with.

People think karma means some sort of divine punishment. It doesn't, it means the law of causes and conditions, of cause and effect. Everything we do has a consequence.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

From the paper that initially called Anders Breivik's mass murdering spree "Norway's 9/11"
2016-06-17_095527.jpg
2016-06-17_095527.jpg (74.53 KiB) Viewed 9558 times
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

At one point on the news yesterday, one of the witnesses had drawn the gun on a notepad for the scrum of press round him, it looked pretty much like that.

I was a bit concerned at the attention the witnesses were getting, doesn't help with the ultimate prosecution.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

yahyah wrote:Maybe all the people saying Mair wasn't political don't understand what right wing ideology is ?

Just because he wasn't an activist for a mainstream political party doesn't mean he wasn't political.
Best tweet I've seen on this:
2016-06-17_100008.jpg
2016-06-17_100008.jpg (61.12 KiB) Viewed 9552 times
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... CMP=twt_gu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The EU referendum is a battle of the press versus democracy
Martin Kettle
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... ump-speech" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bernie Sanders says he will work with Hillary Clinton to stop Donald Trump
In a live-streamed speech, the Vermont senator made it clear he is no longer actively challenging Clinton and that the goal is to ‘defeat Trump badly’
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Gabrielle Dee "Gabby" Giffords (born June 8, 1970) is an American politician from the U.S. state of Arizona. As a Democratic member
of the United States House of Representatives, she represented Arizona's 8th congressional district from January 3, 2007 until her
resignation on January 25, 2012, after surviving an assassination attempt that left her with a severe brain injury.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabrielle_Giffords" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gabrielle Giffords Verified account
‏@GabbyGiffords

Absolutely sickened to hear of the assassination of Jo Cox. She was young, courageous, and hardworking. A rising star, mother, and wife.
10:24 am - 16 Jun 2016
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The assassination of MP Jo Cox at the hands of a man driven by hatred is a manifestation of a coarseness in our politics that must stop.
1:22 pm - 16 Jun 2016

The scores of events that I and so many others like Jo Cox have hosted represent the importance of a democracy connected to its citizens.
1:44 pm - 16 Jun 2016

I grieve for Jo Cox’s family, friends, constituents, and for the people of Great Britain.
2:10 pm - 16 Jun 2016
Giffords was shot in the head while speaking at a political hustings held in the open air
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Becoming an academy means that any failure can be swiftly rectified by moving them to another sponsor? Well, not quite...

DfE fails to rebroker 70 per cent of failing academies

http://schoolsweek.co.uk/failing-academ ... n-with-it/
The government has failed to rebroker more than two-thirds of academies rated inadequate by Ofsted, seemingly shooting down ministers’ claims their academies revolution enables swift intervention.
Education secretary Nicky Morgan has previously been critical of how failing local authority-maintained schools were “left languishing” under councils.

One of the key weapons in her argument for supporting the government’s academies programme is that the new system enables rapid improvement in failing schools, with the government able to hand struggling academies to new academy sponsors to drive improvement.

But figures obtained via a parliamentary question reveal the government has decided against intervention in 70 per cent of instances where an academy has been rated inadequate.
Grindon Hall up in Sunderland was supposed to be taken over by Bright Tribe last year - still hasn't happened even now.

http://schoolsweek.co.uk/failing-grindo ... -takeover/

Edit - in fact, Grindon was rated Inadequate and placed in special measures in November 2014 - so much for swift action!
Last edited by RogerOThornhill on Fri 17 Jun, 2016 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

citizenJA wrote:
Gabrielle Dee "Gabby" Giffords (born June 8, 1970) is an American politician from the U.S. state of Arizona. As a Democratic member
of the United States House of Representatives, she represented Arizona's 8th congressional district from January 3, 2007 until her
resignation on January 25, 2012, after surviving an assassination attempt that left her with a severe brain injury.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabrielle_Giffords" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gabrielle Giffords Verified account
‏@GabbyGiffords

Absolutely sickened to hear of the assassination of Jo Cox. She was young, courageous, and hardworking. A rising star, mother, and wife.
10:24 am - 16 Jun 2016

The assassination of MP Jo Cox at the hands of a man driven by hatred is a manifestation of a coarseness in our politics that must stop.
1:22 pm - 16 Jun 2016

The scores of events that I and so many others like Jo Cox have hosted represent the importance of a democracy connected to its citizens.
1:44 pm - 16 Jun 2016

I grieve for Jo Cox’s family, friends, constituents, and for the people of Great Britain.
2:10 pm - 16 Jun 2016
Giffords was shot in the head while speaking at a political hustings held in the open air
Just after Sarah Palin's use of crosshairs.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... CMP=twt_gu

Martin Kettle
"The Mail is a newspaper that wants power. The Mail is a player not an observer, today as in the past."

- Martin Kettle
Yep
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I'm moved by and grateful for Giffords' messages
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

The link between Nigel Farage and Mair

https://tompride.wordpress.com/2016/06/ ... ed-killer/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by nickyinnorfolk on Fri 17 Jun, 2016 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Jonn Elledge

#Never cease to be shocked by the right's lack of a self critical impulse. Give me the left's internecine self loathing any day.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Sold.

First thing I thought of on hearing the news, tried to keep an open mind, but no. Not having (apolitical) "crazed loner" for a minute.
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

Hearing about Jo Cox's murder yesterday, whilst in London, it was just so awful it seemed unreal.

The London Evening Standard also made the Brexit connection in its headline.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

danesclose wrote:
yahyah wrote:Maybe all the people saying Mair wasn't political don't understand what right wing ideology is ?

Best tweet I've seen on this
[danesclose's tweet image]
(cJA edit)
Thank you very much!
Last edited by citizenJA on Fri 17 Jun, 2016 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

yahyah wrote:Good to hear that Boris Johnson has said Farage's anti-immigrant poster is not his politics.
Of course, Brexit isn't his politics either - as that Spectator piece reminded us yesterday.

(certain people there couldn't have that of course, so it had to be censored - trouble is, doing that in this digital age is an increasingly futile exercise)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

yahyah wrote:Good to hear that Boris Johnson has said Farage's anti-immigrant poster is not his politics.
Mmm. Call me cynical but I wonder if Johnson's alleged offer to Farage to be included in government if Leave gets it, will be withdrawn?
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

HindleA wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... CMP=twt_gu

Martin Kettle
He has been good on this wretched thing, fair play.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

This is actually real.

citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Thinking about the MPs with young children
Ed Miliband his love for his wife and boys
I hope he's okay, I've not heard
His love for his family is dearest to him
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

NonOxCol wrote:This is actually real.

Or not.

Still, it was so easy to believe and she's too thick to get why that might be.