Monday 20th June 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Monday 20th June 2016

Post by yahyah »

Morning.

Baroness Warsi has switched to Remain. She is expressing her disgust at the racist poster and xenophobia amongst the Leave campaign. Also that Gove is telling complete lies about Turkey.

Cue bitchy comments about her from the official leave campaign. Tin foil hat comments from the CyberBrexit brigade about her being a sleeper who was in place to defect to Remain late in the day.
Last edited by yahyah on Mon 20 Jun, 2016 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 20th June 2016

Post by yahyah »

We may get the answer to this on Friday.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

yahyah wrote:Morning.

Baroness Warsi has switched to Remain. She is expressing her disgust at the racist poster and xenophobia amongst the Leave campaign. Also that Gove is telling complete lies about Turkey.

Cue bitchy comments about her from the official leave campaign. Tin foil hat comments from the CyberBrexit brigade about her being a sleeper who was in place to defect to Remain late in the day.
You appear to be having fun over there.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

It's the only way I can stay sane. If they behave like kids, treat them the same way.

I would rather do something more life enhancing but I am spending my time reporting sick Brexiteer posts. So far this morning there has been a sick 'false flag' post about Jo's murder.
Yesterday one charmer who ranted about immigration called her 'Yorkshire's very own Forest Gump'.

I'm left wondering...are there really that many people out there who are on the edge of personality disorder with extreme views or is there just a small group that are very vocal on social media ?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

And...it's raining again,

If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

I think you can safely say that things are back to normal after last week's tragic event...

TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

This week I will mostly be sticking cotton wool in my ears and burying my head under a pillow. I can't stand it anymore.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

It is worse than a general election campaign. It feels like something out of Lord of the Rings.
The orcs are massing, where are the elves ?
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

Best wishes to @seeingclearly if you can read this. Hope you are ok.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

John Oliver on Brexit

[youtube]iAgKHSNqxa8[/youtube]
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

I want to say thank you to everyone here for helping to keep me sane. (Well, as sane as I can ever be,,,,)

I know we don't all agree on the referendum, the by-election, and other things - but people here are civilised and kind.

I've kept away from the G and my usual haunts; there are some very strange, ignorant, and downright nasty people out there lately.
I'll probably have a little foray there today; but I have been appalled at some of the stupidity and vitriol recent events have spawned.

There are some good reasons for voting Brexit; there are some good reasons for voting Remain. Whatever people decide, I respect their view if they have come to it by dint of reason - but I'm not seeing much of that outside this forum, unfortunately.

One thing that is worrying me - as we appear to have no actual government while these shenanigans stagger on, I am wondering what the Tories are up to under the radar. They have form for sneaking in stuff when our attention is directed elsewhere.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

RobertSnozers wrote:
refitman wrote:

You appear to be having fun over there.
I'm a bit surprised to hear she wasn't already a remainer.
Yes - I had to check which side she'd left and which she'd joined.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Morning

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... psa-cheese" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Notice 23/16 - Private Storage Aid (PSA): cheese

This notice is an update of the current situation with regard to the Private Storage Aid scheme arrangements for Cheese.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

HindleA wrote:Morning

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... psa-cheese" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This notice is an update of the current situation with regard to the Private Storage Aid scheme arrangements for Cheese.
About time. I've been on tenterhooks.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/law/2016/jun ... SApp_Other" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Steep court fee rises are tax on justice, say MPs

http://www.parliament.uk/business/commi ... hed-16-17/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Maeght
Committee Chair

Post by Maeght »

I realise I am becoming increasingly guilty of only reading things which I agree with but I enjoyed this article.

https://theconversation.com/left-winger ... o-do-61259" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Particularly liked 'Schröder's immigrant who lazes around on benefits while simultaneously stealing jobs'.
There is a link to a cartoon of it which I also liked.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Sure is rainin' here.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

Applications have been received amounting to the total quantity allocated to the UK. Therefore the scheme is now closed to further applications.
What, not even Wensleydale?
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

MP's are wearing White Roses today as a mark of respect for Jo.
white_rose.jpg
white_rose.jpg (91.96 KiB) Viewed 9368 times
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Pound and shares soar as Notice 23/16 - Private Storage Aid (PSA): cheese is issued – business live
Or something.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultat ... to-comment" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Open consultation
Open access restriction at Wilton 3 Quarry: how to comment
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... nspections" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Guidance
Deferring Ofsted inspections

Guidance
Inspecting childminding agencies: guidance for inspectors
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

The late unlamented Esther McVey popped up on the news channels last night, and duly spun the "Cox died because some people on social media were rude to MPs and journalists" yarn.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/law/2016/jun ... SApp_Other

Steep court fee rises are tax on justice, say MPs

http://www.parliament.uk/business/commi ... hed-16-17/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Henry 2 sorted this out in the 1150's
He understood consistent, fair access to legal procedure was the bedrock of civilised society
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-morning, everyone.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Game theory, maths and the EU referendum
by Tim Gowers
http://infacts.org/prisoners-dilemma-of ... eferendum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Why do 92% of UK fishermen want to leave the EU? Because they want to overfish while the rest of the EU agrees to quotas. Why does farming minister George Eustice want to leave the EU? Because he wants to be free of the EU’s birds and habitat directive while the rest of the EU’s farmers spend money looking after their birds and wildlife habitats.

Can we trust our government not to succumb to these kinds of agreement-breaking temptations if it is free to do so? No, which is why in areas where international cooperation is needed, international organisations such as NATO, the World Trade Organisation and the EU are needed to enforce it.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

I try not to hate but I'm failing with Nigel Farage.

I hate him and I hate the way the press seem to love him. The oxygen of publicity.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

The editor of the Sun claimed on Twitter that he had no idea she had ever been for Brexit.

Cue people citing reports from his very own "newspaper" saying exactly that :)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Farage said this a month ago.
Nigel Farage has said violence on the streets could be the “next step” if immigration is not controlled.

“It’s legitimate to say that if people feel they’ve lost control completely, and we have lost control of our borders completely as
members of the EU, and if people feel voting doesn’t change anything, then violence is the next step,” he said.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/n ... 8a838b8c9c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Farage said this a half hour ago.
...the Remain campaign trying to conflate the actions of one crazed individuals with the motives of half of Britain who think
we should get back control of our borders and do it sensibly. And I think that’s quite wrong the way it’s been done ...

I think there are Remain camp supporters out there who are using this tragic death to try to give the impression that this
isolated, horrific incident is somehow linked to arguments that have been made by myself, or Michael Gove or anybody else
in this campaign. And frankly that is wrong.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/liv ... 3be8716be2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I don't often read the slew of news Farage is in because I don't like his work. I can't believe Farage has had the audacity to open his mouth
and say what he's saying today after all the documentation available clearly showing the world where hate and division comes from. His
own words said less than a month ago repeating years of the same messages.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

citizenJA wrote:I don't often read the slew of news Farage is in because I don't like his work. I can't believe Farage has had the audacity to open his mouth
and say what he's saying today after all the documentation available clearly showing the world where hate and division comes from. His
own words said less than a month ago repeating years of the same messages.
Cut and pasted elsewhere.
Unless the media call him out on that it'll slide.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

The HoC returns today for tributes to Jo Cox.

Hopefully not too mawkish or insincere, and hopefully not many trying to deflect responsibility for her murder from where it actually belongs.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

tinybgoat wrote:

Applications have been received amounting to the total quantity allocated to the UK. Therefore the scheme is now closed to further applications.

Arthur Wensleydale ?

[youtube]uT3OQECSDoQ[/youtube]
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/el ... sults-come" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What to look out for as the European referendum results come in
Your hour-by-hour guide.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

RobertSnozers wrote: So what happens if we leave, and the EU makes us abide by the rules anyway in return for access to the single market?

The 'it's in their interests to give us a good deal' argument sounds like one hell of a gamble with national prosperity.
I might have missed it but have Leave actually come out and said what the preferred option for trading relationship is or have they left it to "let's wait and see what we can get"?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics ... 76031.html
EU referendum: Premier League bosses come out against quitting the EU
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I used to jest about having to build an extension specifically for hair/skin products,I have enough left for some years yet.Not too sure about the deep cherry red permanent hair colour as yet.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

tinybgoat wrote:

Some cheesy comments on here today... :lol:
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Jane East ‏@Jane_East2002 44m44 minutes ago
Refugee Week: Seven myths about asylum seekers busted http://www.examiner.co.uk/news/west-yor ... ar_twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … Well done the Examiner, Jo would be proud of you!
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

AnatolyKasparov wrote:The HoC returns today for tributes to Jo Cox.

Hopefully not too mawkish or insincere, and hopefully not many trying to deflect responsibility for her murder from where it actually belongs.
Indeed Anatoly. Any more tributes like Cameron's hypocritical effort are best avoided IMO.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote: So what happens if we leave, and the EU makes us abide by the rules anyway in return for access to the single market?

The 'it's in their interests to give us a good deal' argument sounds like one hell of a gamble with national prosperity.
I might have missed it but have Leave actually come out and said what the preferred option for trading relationship is or have they left it to "let's wait and see what we can get"?
Think it's still, wait & see,
but with the carrot of being able to get a better deal than we have now, whatever that means.
I wouldn't have thought EU rules would allow us to have a better deal than other countries as it would undermine the reason for common market,
so the best we could hope for would be the same conditions but no say in making the rules.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

RobertSnozers wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:

I don't know what the official position is, but I've heard both Farage and Gove talk about negotiating a trade deal with the EU, in which they would have to give us favourable terms because they sell so much stuff to us. I got the impression (though they didn't come straight out and say it) that they were trying to suggest that the UK would get free access to the single market, not have to accept free movement of people, and not have to accept EU rules.
Of course they won't - it would be the end of the EU wouldn't it? What's the point of a club if you don't have to be a member to benefit?
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

Wensleydale and Marmite together is one of my favourite sandwiches, Caerphilly & Marmite too. None of that Lancashire rubbish though, coming here over the Pennines taking all our fromage grumeleux recipes.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Have just scoffed my Marmite & toast.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

With breathtaking timing the Office of National Statistics will release on Thursday morning their annual mid-year population estimates. These usually provoke headlines such as UK population grows by half a million fuelled by migration.

The timing is actually 12 months after last year’s figures were published and was announced long in advance before the referendum was called.
Cameron has a free choice of date and chooses the day the population figures come out?

Either he's outstandingly incompetent (a distinct possibility) or of dubious sincerity about supporting remain (equally plausible).

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/liv ... x#comments" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

I think he is "sincerely pro remain" now, given that is his only chance of holding onto his job :twisted:
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Mike Smithson says 'on the basis of publicly available data I would not bet on Remain at current odds'.

? Does he mean the return on a Remain win isn't worth it ?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

We have just had a call from the housing association. They have a property that's going to be viewed on Tuesday. If the person doesn't want it, we have first refusal. If she takes it, that means we then go to the top of the list. It means we won't have that long to wait.
I have just rung the guy who did some plumbing for us last year who'd said he was looking for a maisonette. We agreed he'd get first refusal when we wanted to sell. He's still interested which takes a huge weight off my mind. No estate agents or viewings - Phew.

Cupboard sorting must start now. I've been hoarding cardboard boxes for the last year!
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Fingers crossed OhSo.