Saturday 25th and Sunday 26th June 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 25th and Sunday 26th June 2016

Post by citizenJA »

NonOxCol wrote:
citizenJA wrote:"I don’t think a smaller, poorer England is going to make things better for the prospects of my son’s Year 3 or the struggling teacher in Stoke. In fact, we are now more at risk from the whims of global capital and multinational corporations than we were last week.

So my belief that we need a new leader is not rooted in Westminster but on the streets of Stoke-on-Trent. This is the deepest peacetime crisis in our country for decades and our party cannot afford to continue with self-indulgence.

We need a leader who can hold Boris Johnson to account, stand up for Labour voters and be ready to walk through the door of Downing Street in as little as a year’s time.

The British people have been sold a pup and now we need the Labour lion to roar."

Tristram Hunt is MP for Stoke-on-Trent

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... yn-must-go" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Labour's very own Rhyming Slang.

And I'm no Corbynista.
I love the part about a Labour government and seeing off Tory government though
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Anyone else remember the time that Tristram Hunt or Hillary Benn demonstrated themselves to be highly persuasive and competent ministers? The type of Labour MPs who could convince working class former supporters back into the Labour fold? Yeah, me neither. Hell, this is their 4th or 5th attempt at a putsch. They're too incompetent to even get that right at the first attempt.
Donald Trump: Making America Hate Again
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:After yesterday’s European referendum, politicians of all parties must listen to and respect the outcome of the vote

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CludpePXEAA2kX4.jpg
CludpePXEAA2kX4.jpg (81.84 KiB) Viewed 5588 times
A Labour government it is then. Good.
Last edited by citizenJA on Sat 25 Jun, 2016 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

JonnyT1234 wrote:Anyone else remember the time that Tristram Hunt or Hillary Benn demonstrated themselves to be highly persuasive and competent ministers? The type of Labour MPs who could convince working class former supporters back into the Labour fold? Yeah, me neither. Hell, this is their 4th or 5th attempt at a putsch. They're too incompetent to even get that right at the first attempt.
We're fucked then.
Pardon my language.
Last edited by citizenJA on Sat 25 Jun, 2016 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

howsillyofme1 wrote:
citizenJA wrote:"I don’t think a smaller, poorer England is going to make things better for the prospects of my son’s Year 3 or the struggling teacher in Stoke. In fact, we are now more at risk from the whims of global capital and multinational corporations than we were last week.

So my belief that we need a new leader is not rooted in Westminster but on the streets of Stoke-on-Trent. This is the deepest peacetime crisis in our country for decades and our party cannot afford to continue with self-indulgence.

We need a leader who can hold Boris Johnson to account, stand up for Labour voters and be ready to walk through the door of Downing Street in as little as a year’s time.

The British people have been sold a pup and now we need the Labour lion to roar."

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... yn-must-go" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Why couldn't the local member for Stoke-on-Trent influence those in his constituency to vote for 'In'? Surely he must know them and their challenges better than Corbyn
I know. I've no idea what the hell is going on here.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

howsillyofme1 wrote:

Why couldn't the local member for Stoke-on-Trent influence those in his constituency to vote for 'In'? Surely he must know them and their challenges better than Corbyn
I've been reading Tweets on the percentages for Remain in the rebel MPs constituencies and they're all low...Can't come anywhere near Corbyn's consituency which voted around 72% for Remain.

Perhaps if they'd spent less time plotting and more time convincing their constituents, the vote would be different. In fact if anyone in Labour can be blamed for the result, we should look no further than them.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

citizenJA wrote:
howsillyofme1 wrote:

They are so intent on ousting and blaming him, they can't see any further than that.

Hodges constituency had an awfully low remain vote. So did the other woman's.
TR'sGhost
Minister of State

Post by TR'sGhost »

NonOxCol wrote:Decent People Latest:

Interesting, particularly if the cards do have a Polish translation on the back.

http://www.hopenothate.org.uk/blog/insi ... i-say-4928" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm getting tired of calming down....
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Well it might stop us talking about Labour for a few minutes:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ShippersUnbound" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JustMom
Committee Member

Post by JustMom »

I have recently read,and I can't remember where,that Benn has been ringing round half the shadow cabinet,to get Corbyn to resign.
Meamwhile,the whip,rosie winterton is gathering backers for Mcdonnell,in the event of Corbyn being forced out.
Sorry it's a bit bitty I know,my memory is terrible
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

I saw part of this BTL comment eariler but didn't know where it came from. Worth reading if we haven't seen it before.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/liv ... t-77205935" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:@howsillyofme1

I would argue that the mess we're in now, and its possible ramifications, has catapulted us into a situation which makes it vital that we have someone who is viable as opposition leader. That, in my opinion, rules out Jeremy Corbyn.

Strangely enough, I wouldn't have much of an objection to Jeremy Corbyn as PM - but it doesn't work like that.
If there's a leader who'd leave his position in order to benefit the people, Corbyn is that leader. Is it happening now? Is Corbyn okay with this?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

citizenJA wrote:
Labour members need to do something about Jeremy Corbyn
Tristram Hunt

goddamn you
So he won't be on your Christmas card list then? ;) :D
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RogerOThornhill wrote:I saw part of this BTL comment eariler but didn't know where it came from. Worth reading if we haven't seen it before.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/liv ... t-77205935" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wow. Okay, good. Apparently the post is on facebook now getting passed around. I think it's a good idea to read it.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Miliband said Labour’s political vision for a post-Brexit Britain was “not there yet” and called on the left to regroup: “Our task is to come up with that vision and to use this opportunity to recognise what’s driven this decision.”
TR'sGhost wrote:
NonOxCol wrote:Decent People Latest:

Interesting, particularly if the cards do have a Polish translation on the back.

http://www.hopenothate.org.uk/blog/insi ... i-say-4928" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes - I found the inclusion of a Polish translation something to ponder. Sounds a bit too researched and slick to be the work of your average thug and hints at someone more organised being behind it all.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
Labour members need to do something about Jeremy Corbyn
Tristram Hunt

goddamn you
So he won't be on your Christmas card list then? ;) :D
As long as he's Labour working for the people, country, I'm fine with Tristram Hunt. One thing I take from the Tories and that is stay together when it's essential to stay together. I hope Tristram Hunt and the Labour party knows what they're doing. I hope they do it successfully with Corbyn onside.
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

This business over Jeremy Corbyn has convinced me that the entire country is clinically insane. Can anyone imagine a rational being faced with the kind of self-inflicted crisis we have brought on ourselves these past couple of days even considering issues like this? Collectively, we are displaying - to paraphrase whoever said it first - not so much an inability to see the woods for the trees but an inability to see the trees because of our concentration upon the bark.

It is as if, having created a problem too big to even begin to know here to begin to address it, the country has pulled its underpants over its head, stuck pencils up its nose and is sitting there going 'wibble, wibble'.
The truth ferret speaks!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:Miliband said Labour’s political vision for a post-Brexit Britain was “not there yet” and called on the left to regroup: “Our task is to come up with that vision and to use this opportunity to recognise what’s driven this decision.”
That was several hours ago. Maybe Labour's there now.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

NonOxCol wrote:Well it might stop us talking about Labour for a few minutes:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ShippersUnbound" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I think Tories are history.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

Hilary Benn keeping up the family tradition of splitting the labour party I see.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

citizenJA wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:I saw part of this BTL comment eariler but didn't know where it came from. Worth reading if we haven't seen it before.

Wow. Okay, good. Apparently the post is on facebook now getting passed around. I think it's a good idea to read it.

I think the author is pretty much on the money there but, as is mentioned below the line, the EU are already preparing for pushing us out

I really think we will be on the exit road within 2 weeks.......that will start to concentrate minds and stop the Tories pissing about
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

RobertSnozers wrote:
JustMom wrote:I have recently read,and I can't remember where,that Benn has been ringing round half the shadow cabinet,to get Corbyn to resign.
Meamwhile,the whip,rosie winterton is gathering backers for Mcdonnell,in the event of Corbyn being forced out.
The Guardian now have top story that Benn trying to arrange a mass shadow cabinet resignation.

Saw a tweet saying that Labour HQ receiving a lot of phone calls from members saying they would resign if Corbyn toppled.

Hopefully after the leadership election....
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
howsillyofme1 wrote: Why couldn't the local member for Stoke-on-Trent influence those in his constituency to vote for 'In'? Surely he must know them and their challenges better than Corbyn
They are so intent on ousting and blaming him, they can't see any further than that.

Hodges constituency had an awfully low remain vote. So did the other woman's.
So, they gotta bust a move. Interesting these MPs with big leave voters. Tristram Hunt's article indicates leaving the EU shouldn't happen while suggesting a Labour government within a year. Stoke was 70% leave. I guess Corbyn's tweet suggests now isn't the time for the lion to roar. I wish they could all join up their efforts. I really do.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

howsillyofme1 wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:
JustMom wrote:I have recently read,and I can't remember where,that Benn has been ringing round half the shadow cabinet,to get Corbyn to resign.
The Guardian now have top story that Benn trying to arrange a mass shadow cabinet resignation.

Saw a tweet saying that Labour HQ receiving a lot of phone calls from members saying they would resign if Corbyn toppled.
Hopefully after the leadership election....
I'm totally fine with that.

edited to write in grown-up language
Last edited by citizenJA on Sat 25 Jun, 2016 11:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Does Paul Mason read FTN ?

Paul MasonVerified account
‏@paulmasonnews
Labour, Greens, SNP + Plaid should form electoral pact and put social justice at heart of Brexit process http://gu.com/p/4myb2/stw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; #ProgrExit
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

howsillyofme1 wrote:
citizenJA wrote:

I think the author is pretty much on the money there but, as is mentioned below the line, the EU are already preparing for pushing us out

I really think we will be on the exit road within 2 weeks.......that will start to concentrate minds and stop the Tories pissing about
I think Tories have abdicated. I think it would be good for the UK to have responsible leadership now.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

RobertSnozers wrote:

I can't see what possible good he thinks this will achieve. And you probably already know my thoughts on Jeremy Corbyn.

I won't forget Hilary Benn's Syria performance.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:I've been reading Tweets on the percentages for Remain in the rebel MPs constituencies and they're all low...Can't come anywhere near Corbyn's consituency which voted around 72% for Remain.

Perhaps if they'd spent less time plotting and more time convincing their constituents, the vote would be different. In fact if anyone in Labour can be blamed for the result, we should look no further than them.
(cJA edit)

If the plotting has a meaningful purpose I'm fine with it. I'm scared to death.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Just posted this on my Lab Party page.

Rome is burning, and the Labour party are giving the Tories a musical accompaniment.
My dad used to say the Labour party has a suicide switch and every so often they feel compelled to press it
From the rumbles and rumors floating around the internet, it looks as if they're about to do it again.
These are MPs who are criticising Corbyn's Referendum strategy, and yet their constituencies had miserably low percentages for Remain while his was 72%.
They are being incredibly negligent at a time of great turmoil, but then my dad also used to say you can't cure stupid.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Save the UK and give us responsible leadership, please.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:Just posted this on my Lab Party page.

Rome is burning, and the Labour party are giving the Tories a musical accompaniment.
My dad used to say the Labour party has a suicide switch and every so often they feel compelled to press it
From the rumbles and rumors floating around the internet, it looks as if they're about to do it again.
These are MPs who are criticising Corbyn's Referendum strategy, and yet their constituencies had miserably low percentages for Remain while his was 72%.
They are being incredibly negligent at a time of great turmoil, but then my dad also used to say you can't cure stupid.
Well. Let's see.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... nce-motion" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another one. Stephen Kinnock.
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

Goodnight all. It won't be any better in the morning.
The truth ferret speaks!
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

On a slightly different note - have ventured over to the Heil and the Torygraph and have been surprised about the lack of triumphalism

Very subdued with little about the EU - more focused on Tory leadership

Is there some repositioning going on behind the scenes?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

howsillyofme1 wrote:On a slightly different note - have ventured over to the Heil and the Torygraph and have been surprised about the lack of triumphalism

Very subdued with little about the EU - more focused on Tory leadership

Is there some repositioning going on behind the scenes?
Yes. I think good things are happening. I apologise for my fearful, hasty posts. I think the UK has capable leadership. They're not Tories.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

citizenJA wrote:
howsillyofme1 wrote:
citizenJA wrote: Wow. Okay, good. Apparently the post is on facebook now getting passed around. I think it's a good idea to read it.

I think Tories have abdicated. I think it would be good for the UK to have responsible leadership now.
Well they ain't going to get it from Labour. They're too busy having a coup....
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

"Cameron's usual suave professionalism."

That was an actual quote from Sparrow, this month. Just remembered.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

citizenJA wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:I've been reading Tweets on the percentages for Remain in the rebel MPs constituencies and they're all low...Can't come anywhere near Corbyn's consituency which voted around 72% for Remain.

(cJA edit)

It's not meaningful for the benefit of us. Only for them because they don't want Labour to go back to its roots.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Dateline London EU debate tonight. A French journalist, German, American and a Tory leave advocate called Alex Deane. French journalist suggests best for Brexit to happen quickly. Alex Deane, who had been waxing lyrical about how brilliant leaving was, is suddenly "oh no, we don't want to rush anything, we need to stop and have a break....". Hmmm, I'm thinking "leave is brilliant, let's put it off for ages..." strange attitude from a Bexiter, wonder if he has any links to Atlantic Bridge. Some Googling later and it's actually a pretty short jump. Alex Deane was a SpAd to Michael Gove and Gove was involved in Atlantic Bridge.

Is the destabilization of the EU an actual aim for some, rather than just an unfortunate side effect?

Edited to aid: caveat - I have been drinking!
Last edited by Willow904 on Sat 25 Jun, 2016 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
TR'sGhost
Minister of State

Post by TR'sGhost »

PorFavor wrote:I can't work out who, or how, but is someobody making a lot of money out of all this instability?

I think it was Willow904 who alluded to this possibility - but it's been niggling away at me for some time.
Someone always makes money out of an economic crisis one way or another. I understand they can be very profitable for a few people despite being a disaster for most.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

CludpePXEAA2kX4.jpg
CludpePXEAA2kX4.jpg (81.84 KiB) Viewed 5946 times
https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status ... 8454725632

Read it several times. It's talking about a Labour government now. For the nation to stay together.

'Labour was created to serve people and their communities and workplaces. We need to put that
historic purpose into action now and campaign to protect and represent the people we serve.'

Nothing in it is particularly about Corbyn himself. It's about Labour serving the nation.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

What pisses me off most about Cameron, he'll go down in history for his catastrophic handling of internal tory divisions over Europe, and all the other crap he's inflicted on us since 2010 will barely rate a footnote.
Ditto Osborne.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

TR'sGhost wrote:
PorFavor wrote:I can't work out who, or how, but is someobody making a lot of money out of all this instability?

I think it was Willow904 who alluded to this possibility - but it's been niggling away at me for some time.
Someone always makes money out of an economic crisis one way or another. I understand they can be very profitable for a few people despite being a disaster for most.
War does that too.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:
citizenJA wrote:

(cJA edit)

It's not meaningful for the benefit of us. Only for them because they don't want Labour to go back to its roots.
Tristram Hunt wants to be a part of the Labour party that brings Labour back to it's roots. It's totally fashionable.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

The article "read it and weep" was possibly coined for:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... -ebbw-vale" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

NonOxCol wrote:"Cameron's usual suave professionalism."

That was an actual quote from Sparrow, this month. Just remembered.
Sparrow's ironic wit is magnificent to read.
TR'sGhost
Minister of State

Post by TR'sGhost »

PorFavor wrote:There's talk on the BBC now that, when David Cameron goes to his (non) meeting in Brussels, the minute he mentions the result of the referendum he will, technically, have invoked Article 50. Fawlty Towers springs to mind.

Edited "," for "."
I think Article 50 can only be triggered by an Order In Council under the Royal Prerogative. Not by merely mentioning a referendum result at a meeting, no matter who the meeting is with.

Though I suppose there might be some amusement value in the other 27 states insisting that yes, as far as we are concerned the second you referred to your stupid referendum you activated Article 50.

Then watching as Cameron heads to the European Courts to argue that he'd done no such thing because the UK hadn't acted in accordance with its constitution, and until it does Article 50 has not been activated by the UK.

That would be quite something to see.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

NonOxCol wrote:The article "read it and weep" was possibly coined for:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... -ebbw-vale" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Or in my case, read it and literally shout and swear at my tablet.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

@nonoxcol
:zen:
:heart:

Goodnight.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

NonOxCol wrote:The article "read it and weep" was possibly coined for:

“What’s the EU ever done for us?” Zak Kelly, 21, asks me this standing next to a brand new complex of buildings and facilities that wouldn’t look out of place in Canary Wharf. It’s not Canary Wharf, though, it’s Ebbw Vale, a former steel town of 18,000 people in the heart of the Welsh valleys, where 62% of the population – the highest proportion in Wales – voted Leave.
The UK done gone crazy.