Thursday, 7th July 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Re: Thursday, 7th July 2016

Post by howsillyofme1 »

See Caroline Flint is accusing her own party of sexism because there hasn't been a female leader

What is it that makes people put this type of stuff....

Surely she isn't having a dig at Corbyn about this?

Perhaps if we had a quality woman available (a modern day Barbara Castle perhaps) then we would stand a chance of a woman leader

None of the woman I have seen at the top of Labour have had the necessary quality (mind you neither have some of the men) but Labour has made great strides in female representation

Just as the lack of a woman, or gay leader is not a representation of Labour at large, having a femal leader does not mean the Tories aren't still a party containing a significant amount of bigots

Why do some people on the right of the party never seem to lose and opportunity to praise the Tories and denigrate their own party
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Oh dear me...

:roll:
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Just in: footage of Angela Eagle's "holding pattern" has been captured:

[youtube]2BtbUjpLGu0[/youtube]
Last edited by JonnyT1234 on Thu 07 Jul, 2016 10:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Donald Trump: Making America Hate Again
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:I'm always ready to hear Hugo and TE, but may I say that anyone who can possibly judge what kind of politician will be "electable" at the next General Election is a much, much smarter guy than me.

One week Dave is unassailable, the next Osborne is the anointed successor, then it's Boris romping home. Currently May is the favourite. Leadsom? Gove?

If it's so chaotic on the Tory side, how can we possibly know what an "electable" Labour PM looks like?
Generally I look at actual election results, then polling and then I listen to what people I know are saying.

By all these measures I am reasonably certain Corbyn is heading for a huge defeat (he might poll as low as 20-25%). I do agree that it is hard to work out what an electable Labour leader looks like though. You get a view of what isn't working, but it doesn't necessarily tell you what will.

The fact the Tories are a shambles, have fucked over the country, may be taken over by the Kipper fringe and are still unassailable is really depressing.
Release the Guardvarks.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

howsillyofme1 wrote:See Caroline Flint is accusing her own party of sexism because there hasn't been a female leader
Wonder what Margaret Beckett and Harriet Harman think about Flint airbrushing them both out of Labour's history books.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

JonnyT1234 wrote:
howsillyofme1 wrote:See Caroline Flint is accusing her own party of sexism because there hasn't been a female leader
Wonder what Margaret Beckett and Harriet Harman think about Flint airbrushing them both out of Labour's history books.

At the moment they probably agree - many in the party are happier criticising it than supporting it

The fact that the freaker's ball that was the Tory leader election should just demonstrate to them that Labour has far more able politicians than the Tories have

We have a choice between two absolutely appalling candidates, of which May is probably marginally the better, one of which an incompetent xenophobe, the other a complete buffoon

Europe will be pissing themselves when it comes to the negotiations....Frankfurt and Paris must be rubbing their hands in anticipation of getting some nice, tasty banks
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Rebecca wrote:
Freedomofthepress wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
The ones who've just signed up to support Corbyn are pretty close to being cultists. And some of the new members since his nomination are too. There are enough of them to be a right nuisance.

Sorry but is this Jess Phillips in disguise??????
Tubby,you have no evidence that people who vote for Corbyn are 'cultists'.
In fact it is fucking offensive.
They are all people,and also voters.
Because they vote for someone you dislike does not make them members of a cult.
You are letting yourself down here,I know you are better than this.
Unless,as Freedom says,you are in fact Jess Phillips,in which case as you were.
Cultists is probably a rather loaded word. However they either have a very fixed world view or they just don't care about the Labour party and more importantly they don't care about winning an election.

What I don't get is why Corbyn doesn't care about winning an election either. Does he really want to guarantee Tory hegemony for decades in the hope the people will rise up in armed revolution?

For the record I rather like Jess, brave woman prepared to tell it like it is. Not sure she will make it in the diplomatic corps though.
Release the Guardvarks.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

I meant that both have been leader of the Party. Flint appears to have forgotten. Perhaps it's because they are female.
Last edited by JonnyT1234 on Thu 07 Jul, 2016 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

HindleA wrote:Bloody hell just been reminded the Schumacher flying goalie takeout of Battiston was 34 years ago.
I remember getting fairly angry about that at the time. Different world.
Release the Guardvarks.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:I'm always ready to hear Hugo and TE, but may I say that anyone who can possibly judge what kind of politician will be "electable" at the next General Election is a much, much smarter guy than me.

One week Dave is unassailable, the next Osborne is the anointed successor, then it's Boris romping home. Currently May is the favourite. Leadsom? Gove?

If it's so chaotic on the Tory side, how can we possibly know what an "electable" Labour PM looks like?
Generally I look at actual election results, then polling and then I listen to what people I know are saying.

By all these measures I am reasonably certain Corbyn is heading for a huge defeat (he might poll as low as 20-25%). I do agree that it is hard to work out what an electable Labour leader looks like though. You get a view of what isn't working, but it doesn't necessarily tell you what will.

The fact the Tories are a shambles, have fucked over the country, may be taken over by the Kipper fringe and are still unassailable is really depressing.

What election results have you been looking at that suggest Labour will get 20%? Polling is not exactly at a high point at the moment and if I talked to my circle of peers then we will be leaving Europe tomorrow, Boris would be PM or we would be campaigning for Corbyn to be PM.....not much help really are they small biased sample sets
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

JonnyT1234 wrote:
Neither of them were elected leader, so her point still stands. I led a rather sheltered life but the first time I met shockingly open sexism it came from two Labour Party union types, it is noticeable by the way that many of the CorbynNats that post in the Guardian are very sexist.

It is interesting Labour has never come close to electing a woman. I wouldn't claim it as evidence of sexism but it is noteworthy.
Release the Guardvarks.
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:

Maybe you should try broadening your circle of friends. You might be living in the TE version of the Westminster Bubble.
The truth ferret speaks!
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

I am sure Corbyn wants to win the election

He wants to win it though with a party that is more aligned to his and the membership's politics than the PLP

A cabal of the PLP want to win an election with politics further to the right and don't want it to win with Corbyn's politics

People inbetween want to stop the fighting and the easiest option is to try to overthrow Corbyn because to change the PLP is much more difficult and will take longer

Neither side want to win with the other side in control....and at the moment Corbyn is in the ascendancy

TE, you assume the PLP want to win and election and Corbyn doesn't....I think that is a gross over-simplification

This is a classic power struggle, and will be resolved one way or the other.

The fact is though there is a rulebook and a democratic process for choosing the leader and that isn't being followed by the PLP.....there is the possibility now of the local parties playing the same game and trying to deselect MPs....which you oppose.

I am quite clear on this

Corbyn is the democratically elected leader
There is a way to remove him but no-one has challenged him
I do not favour mandatory reselection

This is in accordance with the rules of the Party

If you don't like it, then I am sorry....tough
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

What is it that makes people put this type of stuff....

Surely she isn't having a dig at Corbyn about this?

Perhaps if we had a quality woman available (a modern day Barbara Castle perhaps) then we would stand a chance of a woman leader

None of the woman I have seen at the top of Labour have had the necessary quality (mind you neither have some of the men) but Labour has made great strides in female representation

Just as the lack of a woman, or gay leader is not a representation of Labour at large, having a femal leader does not mean the Tories aren't still a party containing a significant amount of bigots

Why do some people on the right of the party never seem to lose and opportunity to praise the Tories and denigrate their own party
Yes this is deeply odd.

Actually I voted for Flint but I'm not discussing the Deputy Leadership here. Surely the idea that a load of Labour misogynists voted for Corbyn is beyond weird.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
JonnyT1234 wrote:
Neither of them were elected leader, so her point still stands. I led a rather sheltered life but the first time I met shockingly open sexism it came from two Labour Party union types, it is noticeable by the way that many of the CorbynNats that post in the Guardian are very sexist.

It is interesting Labour has never come close to electing a woman. I wouldn't claim it as evidence of sexism but it is noteworthy.

Well bugger off and support another party then - you seem to hate Labour and there is compulsion for you to vote with them.....you can always go to the LD

I can tell you about the huge number of racist and sexist Tories I have met...of people who think it is funny to go blacked up to parties or wear Nazi uniforms.

The Labour Party you seem to want is no longer there....it is undergoing a transformational change. That is a fact and the current membership will not elect a leader that you like - so instead of bitching about it go and find somewhere that you feel happier with and leave us who are tolerant of this change to try to work out how it should develop
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

howsillyofme1 wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:

What election results have you been looking at that suggest Labour will get 20%? Polling is not exactly at a high point at the moment and if I talked to my circle of peers then we will be leaving Europe tomorrow, Boris would be PM or we would be campaigning for Corbyn to be PM.....not much help really are they small biased sample sets
Fair question.

Firstly the local election results (which have a string correlation - far better than opinion polls) showed Labour about 15% off where they needed to be to be in a winning position.

Secondly relative to Miliband we were 5 points down, but arguably 2016 was far far more favourable to Labour than 2011.

Thirdly there is a reasonable degree of consensus that about 1 in 5 Labour voters have walked away since 2015.

Finally anecdotally (entirely evidence free this) pro Labour people I mix with won't vote for Corbyn to run the country. I get told this a lot, far more than I heard it about Ed.

So ignoring the last bit Labour looks about 5-6 points down on Ed, which would put the party on 24-25.

Finally Corbyn's personal performance in campaigning (he isn't listened to by far too many people) and the fact he consistently screwed up Remain when he did get coverage, and the fact his campaign team is shambolic at best, suggests his election campaign will rival Foot's for hopelessness. So down on 24-25 maybe towards 20.

Which oddly was what one of his campaign team is alleged to have said off the record to some political journalist (who probably made it up).
Release the Guardvarks.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

mbc1955 wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:

Maybe you should try broadening your circle of friends. You might be living in the TE version of the Westminster Bubble.
Well I can only work with what I know. So I am only measuring relative popularity in a small segment of the population.
Release the Guardvarks.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
howsillyofme1 wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote: Generally I look at actual election results, then polling and then I listen to what people I know are saying.

Fair question.

Firstly the local election results (which have a string correlation - far better than opinion polls) showed Labour about 15% off where they needed to be to be in a winning position.

Secondly relative to Miliband we were 5 points down, but arguably 2016 was far far more favourable to Labour than 2011.

Thirdly there is a reasonable degree of consensus that about 1 in 5 Labour voters have walked away since 2015.

Finally anecdotally (entirely evidence free this) pro Labour people I mix with won't vote for Corbyn to run the country. I get told this a lot, far more than I heard it about Ed.

So ignoring the last bit Labour looks about 5-6 points down on Ed, which would put the party on 24-25.

Finally Corbyn's personal performance in campaigning (he isn't listened to by far too many people) and the fact he consistently screwed up Remain when he did get coverage, and the fact his campaign team is shambolic at best, suggests his election campaign will rival Foot's for hopelessness. So down on 24-25 maybe towards 20.

Which oddly was what one of his campaign team is alleged to have said off the record to some political journalist (who probably made it up).

There is very poor correlation between local election results and general elections - especially only 1 year after GE
Also elections were in 2012 not 2011 around the time of the worst of Osborne's omnishambles budget
There is no consensus that Labour voters have walked away...the media says this but the media is uniformly hostile.

To be honest I am not going to bother anymore you are just making up things to support your thesis - a lot of it 'I reckon' and anecdotal.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
mbc1955 wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote: Generally I look at actual election results, then polling and then I listen to what people I know are saying.

Well I can only work with what I know. So I am only measuring relative popularity in a small segment of the population.

Why bother sharing this crap with us if you know it is meaningless...and to shore up your argument as well?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

It got so common that it was suggested that I went to Russia,I did consider changing my name to Getto Rushah to save time.My views have remained the same,just advice is to different places/actions.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

howsillyofme1 wrote:

Well bugger off and support another party then - you seem to hate Labour and there is compulsion for you to vote with them.....

The Labour Party you seem to want is no longer there....it is undergoing a transformational change. That is a fact and the current membership will not elect a leader that you like - so instead of bitching about it go and find somewhere that you feel happier with and leave us who are tolerant of this change to try to work out how it should develop
That may well be right, which is why of course I resigned. Personally, I'll have to vote on a candidate by candidate basis.

Politics is fascinating at the moment though. There would be a great book on why and how the Labour party was so quickly changed.

If it were Corbyn v Leadsom, the (useless) Farron would have to think all his Christmases had come at once.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Oh and by the way Leadsom seems to be indicating A50 in September. My bet is that May matches her commitment
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

There is also, to say the least, a certain amount of confusion between

"We must unite to attack the Tories"

and

"If you disagree with my why don't you just leave to join [X]"
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

howsillyofme1 wrote:Oh and by the way Leadsom seems to be indicating A50 in September. My bet is that May matches her commitment
If she did, she would be mad.

It would be like matching Leadsom on Grammar schools.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Rebecca wrote:
Freedomofthepress wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
The ones who've just signed up to support Corbyn are pretty close to being cultists. And some of the new members since his nomination are too. There are enough of them to be a right nuisance.

I didn't say people who voted for Corbyn are cultists. You actually quoted what I said.

You do not have to think Corbyn is a far leftist, the point is that he's their man, as Taylor Parkes correctly said. This is hugely important because literally every organisation they touch goes to shit. The SWP, as you probably know, dealt with a rape allegation against one of its top brass by having the rest of the top brass conduct a DIY investigation and trial. Stop The War has become an embarrassment for its tankyism. These aren't obscure organization's I'm choosing.

You have to see Corbyn in this context. He's their man. And that's really bad.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Rebecca wrote:
Freedomofthepress wrote:
I didn't say people who voted for Corbyn are cultists. You actually quoted what I said.

You do not have to think Corbyn is a far leftist, the point is that he's their man, as Taylor Parkes correctly said. This is hugely important because literally every organisation they touch goes to shit. The SWP, as you probably know, dealt with a rape allegation against one of its top brass by having the rest of the top brass conduct a DIY investigation and trial. Stop The War has become an embarrassment for its tankyism. These aren't obscure organization's I'm choosing.

How do you know who has just signed up are SWP members...are there 200 000 SWP members? I though 100 would be more accurate and most of them couldn't organise themselves to become a member of anything from what I have seen of them!
Last edited by howsillyofme1 on Thu 07 Jul, 2016 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

howsillyofme1 wrote:Oh and by the way Leadsom seems to be indicating A50 in September. My bet is that May matches her commitment
She shouldn't but it might be difficult to avoid doing, I agree with you.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Rebecca wrote:
Freedomofthepress wrote:

So what obviously has to happen has to be an end to factionalism Tubby. That's precisely what you are saying.

So let Progress, Schmogress, Compass, Momentum, the whole sodding lot disband and sit down and talk about how they're going to get on in Labour.

That is all IMHO.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Neil Kinnock at the PLP, audio

I agree with Neil (and Ed, and Gordon, and Harriet and ....)

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

howsillyofme1 wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:
howsillyofme1 wrote:
Fair question.

There is very poor correlation between local election results and general elections - especially only 1 year after GE
Also elections were in 2012 not 2011 around the time of the worst of Osborne's omnishambles budget
There is no consensus that Labour voters have walked away...the media says this but the media is uniformly hostile.

To be honest I am not going to bother anymore you are just making up things to support your thesis - a lot of it 'I reckon' and anecdotal.
There is not a very poor correlation between the national equivalent vote in local elections and general election results. It is fairly striking how the lead between two parties correlates to a change of government. If you do a bit of research you will find the information.

I am more than happy to discuss where I may be wrong, but I am not in the game of making stuff up.
Release the Guardvarks.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

:lol:
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-07-08 at 00.12.11.png
Screen Shot 2016-07-08 at 00.12.11.png (351.84 KiB) Viewed 7262 times
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
howsillyofme1 wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote: Fair question.

There is not a very poor correlation between the national equivalent vote in local elections and general election results. It is fairly striking how the lead between two parties correlates to a change of government. If you do a bit of research you will find the information.

I am more than happy to discuss where I may be wrong, but I am not in the game of making stuff up.

So for a start you got the year wrong as it was 2012 and not 2011

The 2012 were 2 years into a Government and 2011 were around a year after a GE - not comparable

I have been unable to find (in a quick search) any papers that claimed to be able to correlate the 2012 LE results to the 2015 GE results....in fact all the predictions I could find suggested a Labour majority or a hung Parliament up to just before the GE

I am sure you can point me to a paper that can show this correlation that you say
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

SpinningHugo wrote:Neil Kinnock at the PLP, audio

I agree with Neil (and Ed, and Gordon, and Harriet and ....)

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ah good old Neil. Takes me back, great oratory but brevity never was his strong point.
Release the Guardvarks.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

howsillyofme1 wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:
howsillyofme1 wrote:

The 2012 were 2 years into a Government and 2011 were around a year after a GE - not comparable

I have been unable to find (in a quick search) any papers that claimed to be able to correlate the 2012 LE results to the 2015 GE results....in fact all the predictions I could find suggested a Labour majority or a hung Parliament up to just before the GE

I am sure you can point me to a paper that can show this correlation that you say
Here is just one article, there are others.

http://www.britishelectionstudy.com/bes ... 37UL4nTXqA

Years are a guess, I wasn't overly worried about precision.
Release the Guardvarks.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
howsillyofme1 wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote: There is not a very poor correlation between the national equivalent vote in local elections and general election results. It is fairly striking how the lead between two parties correlates to a change of government. If you do a bit of research you will find the information.

Here is just one article, there are others.

http://www.britishelectionstudy.com/bes ... 37UL4nTXqA

Years are a guess, I wasn't overly worried about precision.

so it doesn't support what you said at all

In fact it states Corbyn hasn't had much effect one way or another and Labour will be at 30% not 20% as you said.....
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Rebecca wrote: Tubby,you have no evidence that people who vote for Corbyn are 'cultists'.

So what obviously has to happen has to be an end to factionalism Tubby. That's precisely what you are saying.

So let Progress, Schmogress, Compass, Momentum, the whole sodding lot disband and sit down and talk about how they're going to get on in Labour.

That is all IMHO.
Can they do that with this leader? Has he any plan to make it easier for it to happen?
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

can they do this with this PLP?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

#TobyPerkins

An excellent Chesterfield Labour Party meeting tonight discussing current travails in candid and constructive manner. #MoreInCommon
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... der-nation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Disabled people’s rights in the home and in the wider nation
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Yep.

Swiss James
‏@Swiss_James

Pub quizzes in the year 2025.
Quizzer: "In what year did.."
Quizzee: "2016. It's always 2016."
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/jo ... to-8375351" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jobcentre staff broke the rules 'to hit targets for getting people off benefits'

https://www.nao.org.uk/2016/07/08/inves ... -plaistow/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

If the second six months goes the same way as the first six, the annual reviews of the year will be the size of the Chilcott report...
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.24dash.com/news/housing/2016 ... -evictions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Universal Credit forcing landlords into evictions
extankie
Backbencher

Post by extankie »

Lonewolfie wrote:
yahyah wrote:Blair has a lot on his conscience.
But why is their no criticism of the soldiers who sign up to kill ?
Without them there would be no war.
The willing recruits who buy the macho myth about 'our heroes', and sign up, are the ones who fire the weapons.
Morfters all....

In my experience people sign on the dotted line for many reasons - family tradition, the camaraderie, escape from drudgery and an expectation of excitement among them.

Speaking for myself personally now, an escape from a bizzare and opressive home life combined with a want to 'do something useful' at a young age led me to the Recruitment Office. (...and having failed dismally at school, the (unfulfilled) promise of a trade on exit)

Once 'in', you are completely at the mercy of the whims of politicians - but you are aware that 1) you could be shot at (and, in that scenario would shoot back), and 2) that ticking (Army lingo for moaning and griping in my day) was fine, but you do as you're told....full stop...end of the line...no questions.

In a perfect world, the military doesn't exist - but the world isn't perfect and some roles performed by the military (peacekeeping/Bosnia/Cyprus/Green Godesses/clearing roads of snow in really bad weather/filling sandbags for flood protection) are useful and necessary.

It has to be said that were I a young man now, I think my decision would be different given the conflicts we (as a nation) are involved in - in my time The Troubles and the USSR/nuclear winter were the threats. Also, we were most definitely not seen as (and did not think of ourselves as) 'heroes'.

Waves to 'extankie' as the username suggests a similar history to mine - and I hope you've sorted the issues you were experiencing.

Working out how to reply:) Am in process, thanks Ephemerid:) Yep, similar, IRA, USSR, e/w german border stuff.
didnt expect gov`t to stuff me quite as much tho:(