Sat 9 and Sun 10 July 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Re: Sat 9 and Sun 10 July 2016

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Lovely parody Tweet
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-07-09 at 16.29.39.png
Screen Shot 2016-07-09 at 16.29.39.png (260.01 KiB) Viewed 7840 times
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Angela Eagle would be a great Labour leader, says Stephen Kinnock

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... en-kinnock" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

ohsocynical wrote:Angela Eagle would be a great Labour leader, says Stephen Kinnock

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... en-kinnock" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I like the introductory paragraph to that serious article fawning puff piece:
Stephen Kinnock, the ambitious Labour backstabber who has taken a prominent role in the campaign to save the Port Talbot steelworks, has said the shadow business secretary, Angela Eagle, would make a great Labour leader.
Donald Trump: Making America Hate Again
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

ohsocynical wrote:Angela Eagle would be a great Labour leader, says Stephen Kinnock

After the past fortnight's performance, how could she possibly be the leader of anything?
The truth ferret speaks!
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

mbc1955 wrote:

After the past fortnight's performance, how could she possibly be the leader of anything?
I've been chuckling all week at Robert S's "Angela Eagle? Angela Duck more like" :lol:
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

The silly thing is, I used to think Eagle was OK and wasn't very sure about Corbyn.....
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

JonnyT1234 wrote:

Stephen Kinnock, the ambitious Labour backstabber who has taken a prominent role in the campaign to save the Port Talbot steelworks, has said the shadow business secretary, Angela Eagle, would make a great Labour leader.
I'd read an earlier article about Kinnock Senior's passionate plea for Corbyn to be unseated. And now the piece by his son.

Does anyone else see a pattern?
JustMom
Committee Member

Post by JustMom »

Kinnock was the first to appear on tv moaning about all the bullying he had to put up with,also his son,stephen talked about how he was bullied at school.
They have very short memories when it suits.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Willow904 wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:The bulk of legal advice suggests he is on the ballot automatically if he does not resign (it has been suggested the rules on this were changed after the 2010 GE, maybe Kinnock did not notice?)
Ah, thanks.

I set out the legal arguments here

https://spinninghugo.wordpress.com/2015 ... rbyn-coup/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-dorset-36750954" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
European Dorset-based success "terrified" over Brexit.
It's criminal. I can see lawsuits.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

PS: I don't mean I can literally see them - and (as you may have noticed) am not actually a lawyer.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Have just noticed JustMom's avatar.
(waves nicely)
JustMom
Committee Member

Post by JustMom »

Waves back at tinyclanger...
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Matt Haig ‏@matthaig1 1h1 hour ago

Andrea Leadsom is so familiar. She's a hybrid of village fete cake judge, sitcom neighbour, small business advisor, freemason and nightmare.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Maeght wrote:Paul Mason

http://mondediplo.com/2016/07/03brexit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Divided nation

For the left, the immediate opportunity lies in an election. There is no certainty the incoming Tory leader will call one, but it’s hard to negotiate without a mandate. Fearing that a left-led Labour Party could actually win the election, its Blairite right wing launched an immediate coup against Corbyn, to try to prevent him from leading Labour into the election.

This was the self-destructive myopia of a political generation not trained for conflict and adversity. Faced with the most significant political catastrophe of their lifetime, and the chance to assume the mantle of leading the nation, Labour MPs chose to fight each other.
Paul Mason just reads out lines from Momentum nowadays. He's making no sense at all. The non-Corbyn MPs could surf the alleged popularity of Corbyn and then do a very British Coup against him.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

mbc1955 wrote:

The public loves it when parties kick out leaders they see as extreme. See John Major.
Lost Soul
Committee Chair

Post by Lost Soul »

I didn't see it ( I no longer watch due to the swearing...apparently I turn in to Malcolm Tucker ) but this is my position too :

Ian Hislop: 'Remainers are entitled to go on making the argument'

"Even if you lose the vote you are entitled to go on making the argument".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36742691" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
http://stv.tv/news/politics/1360183-bre ... -scotland/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?
"An independent Scotland committed to the EU would have an extraordinary opportunity to attract inward investment as well as highly skilled migrants.
I feel a sort of reverse Britain coming on in due course. When all the people in the southeast are complaining about the Holyrood bubble ...
They've got the biggest deficit in Europe to take care of first.

Ireland will fight them all the way for the Brexit scraps.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:

http://mondediplo.com/2016/07/03brexit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Divided nation

For the left, the immediate opportunity lies in an election. There is no certainty the incoming Tory leader will call one, but it’s hard to negotiate without a mandate. Fearing that a left-led Labour Party could actually win the election, its Blairite right wing launched an immediate coup against Corbyn, to try to prevent him from leading Labour into the election.

This was the self-destructive myopia of a political generation not trained for conflict and adversity. Faced with the most significant political catastrophe of their lifetime, and the chance to assume the mantle of leading the nation, Labour MPs chose to fight each other.
Paul Mason just reads out lines from Momentum nowadays. He's making no sense at all. The non-Corbyn MPs could surf the alleged popularity of Corbyn and then do a very British Coup against him.
(my bold)

I hadn't thought of that.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
mbc1955 wrote:

The public loves it when parties kick out leaders they see as extreme. See John Major.
Major was seen as the "continuity Thatcher " candidate at the time, if anything.

And she was ousted for important reasons, not because Labour MPs had a collective wobbly at the idea of a snap election that almost certainly now won't happen.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Serial election-loser Neil Kinnock’s anti-Corbyn tirade is beyond ironic

http://evolvepolitics.com/kinnocks-blus ... hypocrisy/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

ohsocynical wrote:Serial election-loser Neil Kinnock’s anti-Corbyn tirade is beyond ironic

http://evolvepolitics.com/kinnocks-blus ... hypocrisy/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Most things are these days.
pala
Backbencher

Post by pala »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:

Divided nation

That seems doubtful to me. It's not even as if Mason is particularly radical.

Also, btw:
I am dismayed at the statement issued by Tom Watson announcing his withdrawal from talks aimed at resolving the crisis in the Labour party.

Extraordinarily, I received no notice of this statement before it was issued. I had made arrangements for a meeting of trade union leaders, Tom Watson and representatives of the PLP and the party leader for tomorrow, arrangements requested by Tom Watson and his colleagues, specifically for Mr Watson’s convenience.

In that context, when the possibility of a workable plan had never seemed closer, Tom Watson’s actions today can only look like an act of sabotage fraught with peril for the future of the Labour party.

I must clarify one point in Tom Watson’s statement – I made it absolutely clear from the outset of these discussions that Jeremy Corbyn’s resignation as the leader was not on the agenda.

Watson knew that, and it is entirely wrong to suggest that any public statement by Jeremy represented any change in the situation. This is a deeply disingenuous manoeuvre.

I will continue to work with trade union colleagues and others to chart a way forward, including meeting the legitimate concerns of Labour MPs.

Len McKluskey.
TR'sGhost
Minister of State

Post by TR'sGhost »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
mbc1955 wrote:

As I recall things, Kinnock was heralded as the "moderate left" leader who would chuck out Militant (which needed to be done, their leadership in particular were poisonous), accept Trident, diminish the role of the unions, not go round nationalising things, not frighten the horses and above all not be Michael Foot.

And for even more voter and Murdoch appeal had Hattersley as his "Labour right wing" deputy leader.

That worked out well didn't it.

And nowadays Hatteresly is of the "old Labour left" according to our Tory-supporting media.
I'm getting tired of calming down....
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

"Fearing that a left-led Labour Party could actually win the election, its Blairite right wing launched
an immediate coup against Corbyn, to try to prevent him from leading Labour into the election."

- Paul Mason

http://mondediplo.com/2016/07/03brexit#tout-en-haut" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Is this true? Serious question.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

Hot on the heels of that berk who resigned live on air on The Daily Politics just before pmq's (who's name I forget) Angela Eagle is said to be launching her leadership bid live on air on Peston , Sunday morning " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

Then she will be dashing across town to appear live with Andrew Neil to announce it yet again, live on air. " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Dave Ward
‏@DaveWardGS

Some of the PLP are putting the future of the Party at risk #TheCWU #KeepCorbyn

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

TobyLatimer wrote:Then she will be dashing across town to appear live with Andrew Neil to announce it yet again, live on air. " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If it wasn't for sticking to my principles re Corbyn being democratically elected I'd be running a country mile from supporting or voting for Labour.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

citizenJA wrote:
"Fearing that a left-led Labour Party could actually win the election, its Blairite right wing launched
an immediate coup against Corbyn, to try to prevent him from leading Labour into the election."

- Paul Mason

http://mondediplo.com/2016/07/03brexit#tout-en-haut" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Well, the "immediate coup" bit is self-evidently true yes. About the precise motivation, you will have to ask the people in question.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

A Corbyn led Labour Party going into an election will make Neil Kinnock look good.

Kinnock, a man who showed more guts than Corbyn will ever have to, but hey never let history get in the way of a good narrative.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
mbc1955 wrote: After the past fortnight's performance, how could she possibly be the leader of anything?
Major was seen as the "continuity Thatcher " candidate at the time, if anything.

And she was ousted for important reasons, not because Labour MPs had a collective wobbly at the idea of a snap election that almost certainly now won't happen.
You genuinely think Corbyn's long standing support for Brexit and early comments suggesting an anti-immigration and therefore no single market stance aren't real issues for a significant number of Labour supporters and voters, then?
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
citizenJA wrote:

- Paul Mason

Well, the "immediate coup" bit is self-evidently true yes. About the precise motivation, you will have to ask the people in question.
(my bold)

A Blairite right-wing section of the Labour party launching an immediate coup preventing a left-led Labour government is self-evidently true?
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

ohsocynical wrote:
JonnyT1234 wrote:

I'd read an earlier article about Kinnock Senior's passionate plea for Corbyn to be unseated. And now the piece by his son.

Does anyone else see a pattern?
Well they are both grounded in reality and they both live in the real world, and they both desperately want to save Labour from being destroyed by the Tory party at the next election.

So I guess there is a pattern.

Anybody seriously, for one second think that Corbyn could possibly come within a country mile of winning an election?

Please provide evidence, in the form of polls, or real election results (small party elections don't count).
Release the Guardvarks.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

citizenJA wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:
citizenJA wrote: Is this true? Serious question.
(my bold)

A Blairite right-wing section of the Labour party launching an immediate coup preventing a left-led Labour government is self-evidently true?
No, just that there was an "immediate coup". That is factually correct, all else is conjecture of varying degrees.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Corbyn's "there is no pressure on me" speech from the Miners' Gala

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-36750069" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

“There’s a lot of debate about what’s happening in the Labour Party at the present time and I’m inundated with questions, questions, questions all the time and I have patience that is infinite to answer questions, questions and questions.

“But one I got today really did puzzle me. They said ‘how are you coping with the pressure that’s on you’. I simply said this: “There is no pressure on me, none whatsoever.

“Real pressure - real pressure - is when you don’t have enough money to feed your kids, when you don’t have a roof over your head, when you are wondering if you are going to be cared for, when you are wondering how you can survive, you are wondering how you are going to cope with the debts you have incurred, you are wondering if your lovely employer is going to give you a call to give you a couple of hours work or not bother, or change their mind when you are on the bus on the way to do that job.

“That is the real pressure in our society.”
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

TR'sGhost wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
mbc1955 wrote: After the past fortnight's performance, how could she possibly be the leader of anything?
As I recall things, Kinnock was heralded as the "moderate left" leader who would chuck out Militant (which needed to be done, their leadership in particular were poisonous), accept Trident, diminish the role of the unions, not go round nationalising things, not frighten the horses and above all not be Michael Foot.

And for even more voter and Murdoch appeal had Hattersley as his "Labour right wing" deputy leader.

That worked out well didn't it.

And nowadays Hatteresly is of the "old Labour left" according to our Tory-supporting media.
You're answering some different point.

Kinnock's toughest issue was the perceived disaster of the Callaghan government. Unfair on both of them. How that translates into them crying out for Benn and Corby,God knows.
Last edited by Tubby Isaacs on Sat 09 Jul, 2016 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

citizenJA wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:
citizenJA wrote: Is this true? Serious question.
(my bold)

Mason is delusional, so much so that I wonder if his recent departure from his job had more to it.

His statement would only be true if Corbyn was ahead in the polls, or if his recent local election results showed a party on course to retake power. In fact in both cases the exact opposite is true. In polling he is the worst opposition leader, possibly ever, in real elections he is underperforming Miliband significantly.

So either Mason has lost it, or there is a massive conspiracy involving THE ENTIRE ELECTORATE.
Release the Guardvarks.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Ephie@
Thanks for the message but I can't open it.

Maybe Dan can help ? I get a page that says parsing error:syntax error unexpected when I try to open it.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Eagle finally made up her mind then ?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:A Corbyn led Labour Party going into an election will make Neil Kinnock look good.

Kinnock, a man who showed more guts than Corbyn will ever have to, but hey never let history get in the way of a good narrative.
I liked the man and was quite happy to vote for him. Was very sorry when he lost. But I don't like what he's doing now.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Well I, for one, look forward to Corbyn beating the 'flip flopper' Eagle and then we can stop all this nonsense

The PLP can then decide what they do afterwards
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

ohsocynical wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:A Corbyn led Labour Party going into an election will make Neil Kinnock look good.

I liked the man and was quite happy to vote for him. Was very sorry when he lost. But I don't like what he's doing now.

How many Labour leaders have actually won an election since 1979?

The sum total of 1 - an initial win that was more based on a vote against the Tories and the man who won it has now been thoroughly discredited and is a borderline criminal

The way some people act is that Labour not winning at the next election is totally linked with Corbyn!
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Bloody Andrea Leadsom.

Let me be crystal clear - I've heard the tape, you stupid woman.

And as for, "It may be what I said but it wasn't what I meant".

PM? Good God. What next? She declares war on France but, "It may be what I said but it . . . . "?
JustMom
Committee Member

Post by JustMom »

If we were to lose a corbyn led election and lost,it would be down entirely to this stupid so called coup.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

RobertSnozers wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:
citizenJA wrote:(my bold)

Mason is delusional, so much so that I wonder if his recent departure from his job had more to it.

His statement would only be true if Corbyn was ahead in the polls, or if his recent local election results showed a party on course to retake power. In fact in both cases the exact opposite is true. In polling he is the worst opposition leader, possibly ever, in real elections he is underperforming Miliband significantly.

So either Mason has lost it, or there is a massive conspiracy involving THE ENTIRE ELECTORATE.
Labour had drawn level in the polls and the Tory party was about to go into meltdown. There was absolutely no reason to suspect that Labour could not have gone into a GE campaign at the very least level pegging. The coup threw all that out the window. The previous elections really don't have much bearing as the circumstances have changed dramatically. I can barely be arsed retreading these arguments yet again, but just in case anyone was thinking this perspective is unchallenged... Polls: methodology and weighting has changed since Miliband was in charge with the effect of marking Labour down; elections: Labour did far better in the local elections than anyone predicted and more or less equalled the 2012 high water mark, at the same point in the electoral cycle as the disappointing 2011 local elections. Not that any of that mattered on 24 June, but hey.
I think you're wasting your breath ... I'm still waiting for an answer as to why David Miliband's name was on a Opinium poll asking about choosing a Labour leader.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

JustMom wrote:If we were to lose a corbyn led election and lost,it would be down entirely to this stupid so called coup.
Yes !
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

JustMom wrote:If we were to lose a corbyn led election and lost,it would be down entirely to this stupid so called coup.
As Willow said, the complete mess being made of by far the most important issue by Corbyn is a big problem for lots of us Labour voters.

Given Corbyn didn't turn up for debates in the referendum, he might not turn up for them in the election, I suppose. But if he does, we won't be impressed to see a Labour leader telling Tim Farron to "respect the will of the people" and criticising Theresa May.for delaying.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

RobertSnozers wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:
citizenJA wrote:(my bold)

Labour had drawn level in the polls and the Tory party was about to go into meltdown. There was absolutely no reason to suspect that Labour could not have gone into a GE campaign at the very least level pegging. The coup threw all that out the window. The previous elections really don't have much bearing as the circumstances have changed dramatically. I can barely be arsed retreading these arguments yet again, but just in case anyone was thinking this perspective is unchallenged... Polls: methodology and weighting has changed since Miliband was in charge with the effect of marking Labour down; elections: Labour did far better in the local elections than anyone predicted and more or less equalled the 2012 high water mark, at the same point in the electoral cycle as the disappointing 2011 local elections. Not that any of that mattered on 24 June, but hey.
There is a clear correlation between local election results and General Election results, it showed Miliband wasn't far enough ahead then to win, and Corbyn is much further behind now. The people who correctly called 2015 used the locals as their guide.

Polls are polls, but the Tory Party had gone into total meltdown before this kicked off, and the absolute best (versus no PM) we could manage was level pegging. Even Foot did better than that. Last time I looked it was -7.

Are you seriously claiming a mid term poll, showing a government and opposition on level pegging suggests that indicates a GE would start from the same place? Explain how you just threw out 30 years of history?
Release the Guardvarks.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
As Willow said, the complete mess being made of by far the most important issue by Corbyn is a big problem for lots of us Labour voters.

Given Corbyn didn't turn up for debates in the referendum, he might not turn up for them in the election, I suppose. But if he does, we won't be impressed to see a Labour leader telling Tim Farron to "respect the will of the people" and criticising Theresa May.for delaying.
Just another excuse, before it was the local elections, , before that it was Oldham and before that it was meeting with Hamas

The moaning you have all made about the EU refrendum is massively overblown from my view and is just another excuse to call for a change of leader

You have your view, it doesn't mean it is right