Tuesday 12th July 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Re: Tuesday 12th July 2016

Post by ephemerid »

tinyclanger2 wrote:Jesus wept. I come here for intelligent something and occasional light relief. In these troubled times can all parties, give it a rest.

(Ta)

I think I love you.

I'm off to bed now - and if I've been a bit of a strop-pot..... well, never mind, just one of those days.

Night all.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

ephemerid wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:Jesus wept. I come here for intelligent something and occasional light relief. In these troubled times can all parties, give it a rest.

(Ta)

I think I love you.

I'm off to bed now - and if I've been a bit of a strop-pot..... well, never mind, just one of those days.

Night all.
Night ephie. :hug:
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

SpinningHugo wrote:
refitman wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote: We have been through this before. I post anonymously and won't be doing 20 questions on my identity. Work it out for yourself.
I think it's a fair question. You keep posting stuff on the legalities of things, but we have no idea if you are speaking from a position of authority, or ust blowing smoke up our arses.
Well, don't read it then. One of the things I like about the blog is that it only has so much force as the arguments possess. You shouldn't defer to authority. Make your own mind up.

take this

https://spinninghugo.wordpress.com/2016 ... on-brexit/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

here I say a senior QC (and three senior academic public lawyers) are all wrong and try to explain why in simple terms. I am pretty sure I am right, but would the arguments be better if you knew my name was Hugo Spin QC, or Spin LJ? I try to be as accessible and short as possible, but if you don't find it helpful, look elsewhere.
If it 'only has so much force as the arguments possess' it is merely an excercise in rhetoric and empty of meaning - a bit like many in teh PLP really. I am nnot sure you will understand that, though.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://survey.dwp.gov.uk//index.php?sid=63591&lang=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Second Independent Review of the Personal Independence Payment assessment – call for evidence response form

Online Response Form
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Temulkar wrote:]

If it 'only has so much force as the arguments possess' it is merely an excercise in rhetoric and empty of meaning - a bit like many in teh PLP really. I am nnot sure you will understand that, though.
I don't think that is right about legal, or any valid, argument.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_authority" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

JonnyT1234 wrote:ATL at the PLB:
Angela Eagle, the former shadow business secretary who announced that she was challenging Jeremy Corbyn for the Labour leadership yesterday, was on the Today programme this morning. John Humphrys said Eagle describes herself as strong, but that she was heard sounding tearful in interviews two weeks as she talked about resigning from the shadow cabinet. Would someone like that be tough enough to take on President Putin, he asked.
Irrespective of what you think of Eagle at the moment: John Humphrys, what a complete knob.
Sorry tinyclanger2. If it helps... John Humphrys. Still a complete knob. ;)
Donald Trump: Making America Hate Again
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

tinyclanger2 wrote:Less of the italics.
You'd be welcome too. But OK, point taken.
Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

SpinningHugo wrote:
Temulkar wrote:]

I don't think that is right about legal, or any valid, argument.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_authority" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
How gracefully you prove my point.
TR'sGhost
Minister of State

Post by TR'sGhost »

SpinningHugo wrote: Who is the 'they'? Watson? Eagle? Smith?

What is the evidence for this longterm conspiracy by the 172 members of the PLP?

As for Benn, that really depends on your view of intervening in Syria, which is another big and difficult question. I didn't approve of the Iraq War (because it was unlawful) but did approve of intervening in Syria (where it was lawful).

if interested in legality

https://spinninghugo.wordpress.com/2015 ... -in-syria/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Times, November 28th 2015-
"Senior Labour figures and MPs have sought legal advice on how to unseat Jeremy Corbyn in the hope of building support for a plot against him… rebels, including some of the party’s most prominent MPs, have been told by lawyers that in the event of a leadership challenge Mr Corbyn could be removed and denied a place on the ballot paper by MPs"

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/poli ... 626500.ece" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As for your tedious "legal" blogging, it at one and the same time states the bleeding obvious, presents statements that a point is "arguable" without providing a single argument to demonstrate in what way, hand-waves aside a very serious constitutional question in the hope no-one will notice and ends by leaping to an unsupported conclusion that fits your wishes. By baldly asserting that it doesn't share the legal difficulties of what you yourself a few paragraphs before described as a sticky legal problem.

But it does share exactly that problem. In spades.

And no, I'm not inclined to discuss it any further. Or anything else other than to from tome to time point out your rather sad whataboutery, egotism, self-promotion and concern-trolling for what it is.

Attempting clever spinning really isn't your strong point Hugo. Perhaps you should try knitting instead.
I'm getting tired of calming down....
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

TR'sGhost wrote:Perhaps you should try knitting instead.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

So the kicker in all this is the decision the NEC took on members eligability to vote and registered supporters.

Both suggest that if Owen Smith stands Corbyn looks very beatable. Incidentally I wonder if Len is going to consult his members on who to support - of course he won't.
Release the Guardvarks.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

I'll get my coat...
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

TR'sGhost wrote: other than to from tome to time point out your rather sad whataboutery, egotism, self-promotion and concern-trolling for what it is.

Attempting clever spinning really isn't your strong point Hugo. Perhaps you should try knitting instead.
Well, it has been a pleasure.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Paul Flynn ‏@PaulFlynnMP 2h2 hours ago Lambeth, London

John McTernan who masterminded Labour's political suicide in Scotland gives advice on JC's election victories
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
Tonibel
Backbencher

Post by Tonibel »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:So the kicker in all this is the decision the NEC took on members eligability to vote and registered supporters.

Both suggest that if Owen Smith stands Corbyn looks very beatable. Incidentally I wonder if Len is going to consult his members on who to support - of course he won't.
What happened to omov? Sorry if I'm stupid but what is he consulting them about?
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

ohsocynical wrote:Paul Flynn ‏@PaulFlynnMP 2h2 hours ago Lambeth, London

John McTernan who masterminded Labour's political suicide in Scotland gives advice on JC's election victories
Paul Flynn is a bit of an arse. JMcT is a tosser, but he can hardly be blamed for Scotland.

Corbyn is actually far less succesful up there than JMcT. Perhaps Paul could apply his brains to coming up with any sort of strategy for beating our new Tory overlord. Or does he share Lansmans view that election victories are minor things that only matter to the elite.
Release the Guardvarks.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:Paul Flynn ‏@PaulFlynnMP 2h2 hours ago Lambeth, London

Paul Flynn is a bit of an arse. JMcT is a tosser, but he can hardly be blamed for Scotland.

Corbyn is actually far less succesful up there than JMcT. Perhaps Paul could apply his brains to coming up with any sort of strategy for beating our new Tory overlord. Or does he share Lansmans view that election victories are minor things that only matter to the elite.

Oh, Paul Flynn has a strategy. A perfectly sensible one in my view.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Tonibel wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:So the kicker in all this is the decision the NEC took on members eligability to vote and registered supporters.

What happened to omov? Sorry if I'm stupid but what is he consulting them about?
Unite backing Corbyn is a decision the union takes. It is about resources and funding.

We have two polls from reputable companies, of union members both showing a majority against Corbyn carrying on.
Release the Guardvarks.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Dear TE. None of the polling companies are reputable. The past two elections of any major significance have demonstrated that they quite literally do not know their arses from their elbows.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

JonnyT1234 wrote:Dear TE. None of the polling companies are reputable. The past two elections of any major significance have demonstrated that they quite literally do not know their arses from their elbows.
That is as false in its own way as Gove suggesting we ignore experts. They are close enough that the numbers show an anti Corbyn majority even allowing for error of 2015 proportions.

The polling of the referendum was always going to be utterly random given lack of any reliable turnout model.

In fact a relatively small number of homogeneous people (union members) are reasonably easy to poll.
Release the Guardvarks.
extankie
Backbencher

Post by extankie »

frog222 wrote:
ephemerid wrote:Since this forum was set up - and thank you Sky, Adam, Refit, Paul, and all the founding members - it has been a "haven" from the G's nesting and all the predicted consequences of same.
I have felt as though I am among friends; and some of you are in communication with me in real life. We do not all agree, this is far from the echo chamber some accuse it of being.

Stupid, nasty, vicious and invariably badly-informed trolls are dealt with, and our lovely admin people have seen them off when they cause too much disruption. Thank you.
I have no problem with people whose views I disagree with; we have regular posters here who do not mince their words, and there are times when things get a bit tetchy.

But - it's a whole new ballgame when days on end of comments end up with the sort of escalation we have had here today.
For nearly a week, the same person has been causing, deliberately IMHO, an atmosphere so unpleasant I felt the need to stay away.

Didactic (or probably auto-didactic) pronouncements, short on fact and heavy on opinion, delivered in a patronising tone; instructions imparted to "admit your error" or "think like me"; and when a reasonable response is given, or indeed actual facts in counter-argument, the result is invariably more ridiculous questions, more denial of what people have said, and the whole day is spoiled.

Those who suggest that we should simply ignore all this (or keep it civil, sorry Refitman) are, with the deepest of respect, missing the point that the person doing this is, effectively, a troll. A person who chooses to sow discord and who behaves this way should be asked to stop.

This place is special to me. It feels like the old CIF used to feel - people having discussions on the issues of the day in a safe and civilised space.
It hasn't felt like that for the past week, and one person is responsible for it.
Of course, we have been here before. It has been said by the person concerned that I have a problem with him - I do; and judging by the thanks and responses over the past few days it seems I am not alone.

I have already refused to engage with his nonsense. I hope others do too. Maybe then he will see that for some of us he is not welcome.
Ephe -- I've always had a Golden Rule that it is not in fact compulsory to post, or reply to posts, and that the little wheel we have on top of our mice (in France , at least) is for scrolling by .

Problem solved :)
Don`t know if you have found it, but there`s a freinds/foes bit in the settings, I tried it, and it`s great, if someone is marked as "foe" you don`t see their posts unless you want to. Brilliant! :)
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

extankie wrote:
frog222 wrote:
ephemerid wrote:Since this forum was set up - and thank you Sky, Adam, Refit, Paul, and all the founding members - it has been a "haven" from the G's nesting and all the predicted consequences of same.
I have felt as though I am among friends; and some of you are in communication with me in real life. We do not all agree, this is far from the echo chamber some accuse it of being.

Stupid, nasty, vicious and invariably badly-informed trolls are dealt with, and our lovely admin people have seen them off when they cause too much disruption. Thank you.
I have no problem with people whose views I disagree with; we have regular posters here who do not mince their words, and there are times when things get a bit tetchy.

But - it's a whole new ballgame when days on end of comments end up with the sort of escalation we have had here today.
For nearly a week, the same person has been causing, deliberately IMHO, an atmosphere so unpleasant I felt the need to stay away.

Didactic (or probably auto-didactic) pronouncements, short on fact and heavy on opinion, delivered in a patronising tone; instructions imparted to "admit your error" or "think like me"; and when a reasonable response is given, or indeed actual facts in counter-argument, the result is invariably more ridiculous questions, more denial of what people have said, and the whole day is spoiled.

Those who suggest that we should simply ignore all this (or keep it civil, sorry Refitman) are, with the deepest of respect, missing the point that the person doing this is, effectively, a troll. A person who chooses to sow discord and who behaves this way should be asked to stop.

This place is special to me. It feels like the old CIF used to feel - people having discussions on the issues of the day in a safe and civilised space.
It hasn't felt like that for the past week, and one person is responsible for it.
Of course, we have been here before. It has been said by the person concerned that I have a problem with him - I do; and judging by the thanks and responses over the past few days it seems I am not alone.

I have already refused to engage with his nonsense. I hope others do too. Maybe then he will see that for some of us he is not welcome.
Ephe -- I've always had a Golden Rule that it is not in fact compulsory to post, or reply to posts, and that the little wheel we have on top of our mice (in France , at least) is for scrolling by .

Problem solved :)
Don`t know if you have found it, but there`s a freinds/foes bit in the settings, I tried it, and it`s great, if someone is marked as "foe" you don`t see their posts unless you want to. Brilliant! :)

Thanks, good to know !

Plots --

against ED

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... hip-change" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

against JC

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics ... 33476.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

shadow-cabinet-mps-form-the-resistance-group-in-anticipation-of-corbyn-win

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/poli ... 626500.ece" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Secret bid to oust Corbyn

-------------------------------------------
Conspiracies do er exist :)
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

However, the company he works for has benefited from its investments in the likes of Amazon and Starbucks, both of which have been criticised for tax avoidance structures and which were mentioned by Ms May as she outlined her manifesto for Downing Street yesterday.

She said: “We need to talk about tax. It doesn’t matter to me whether you’re Amazon, Google or Starbucks: you have a duty to put something back, you have a debt to your fellow citizens, you have a responsibility to pay your taxes. So as Prime Minister, I will crack down on individual and corporate tax avoidance and evasion.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 33231.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.adass.org.uk/adass-budget-s ... ll-report/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... -shortfall" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Vulnerable adults at risk as councils face £1bn social care shortfall
Outlook for care provision in England is bleak with cuts eating into resources despite rising need for support, says report
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ck-country" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Secondary school performance in the Black Country

The Regional Director for the West Midlands has set out her concerns in a letter to local authorities