Wednesday 13th July 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Re: Wednesday 13th July 2016

Post by Rebecca »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:The pearl clutching in some quarters because McDonnell used a naughty word is even more risible than usual.

(and does it come from some of the same people who cheered on Jess Phillips when she told Diane Abbott to "f*** off"? Yes, yes it does)

Besides, on this J McD is absolutely correct isn't he ;)
Yes,Anatoly,100%.
Good for him,wish he had said it on TV .
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
JonnyT1234 wrote:PLB:
He gets a round of applause. Tory MPs give him a standing ovation. Opposition MPs are applauding too, but they have not got to their feet (apart from some Lib Dems).
Things remain the same.
"Some" LibDems?? There's only eight of them to start with :)
Well, they stayed seated with one exception: Andy Burnham.

Yet agin judging the party mood to perfection there.

Corbyn should do better against May who isn't as good a performer as Cameron is, and she is almost as humorless as the Campaign Group's finest.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

citizenJA wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:The pearl clutching in some quarters because McDonnell used a naughty word is even more risible than usual.

(and does it come from some of the same people who cheered on Jess Phillips when she told Diane Abbott to "f*** off"? Yes, yes it does)

It's not a wise choice of words at this time.

You think so?
The plp have acted with the utmost dishonour,at the worst possible time,and in the most incompetent manner imaginable.
I think a few more home truths sent their way is required.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

George Osborne’s tenure as chancellor may soon be over....
ITV News

@itvnews

Philip Hammond expected to be named chancellor by #TheresaMayPM, reports @Peston http://www.itv.com/news/update/2016-07- ... llor-role/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
1:45 PM - 13 Jul 2016
https://www.theguardian.com/business/li ... 8a5a68a373" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Gerald Kaufman. Not one of my favourites.
Parliamentary expenses scandal

Kaufman was involved in the 2009 expenses scandal, where a number of British MPs made excessive expense claims, misusing their permitted allowances and expense accounts.

Kaufman was found to have claimed £115,109 in additional costs allowances on his London flat between 2001 and 2008, and submitted a claim for three months' expenses totalling £14,301.60 in June 2006, which included £8,865 for a 40-inch LCD television and £1,461.83 for a luxury rug imported from New York City (plus £389.91 in customs expenses), which violated regulations forbidding claims for luxury furnishings. He blamed his self-diagnosed obsessive compulsive disorder for his claims, and also said that his condition led him to purchase a pair of Waterford Crystal grapefruit bowls on his parliamentary expenses.[11] Between 2005 and 2007, Kaufman claimed £28,834 for home improvements. He was subsequently summoned to the Parliamentary Fees Office to explain these claims, and in the end was paid £15,329. He also claimed £1,262 for a gas bill that was £1,055 in credit. His claims for food between 2004 and June 2008 were £19,200, close to the maximum allowed. He was also challenged over regular claims for "odd jobs", which he submitted without receipts at a rate of £245 per month, then £5 below the limit for unreceipted expenses, to which he replied by asking why these expenses were being queried.[12] (Wikipedia)
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

PorFavor wrote:Gerald Kaufman. Not one of my favourites.
Parliamentary expenses scandal

Kaufman was involved in the 2009 expenses scandal, where a number of British MPs made excessive expense claims, misusing their permitted allowances and expense accounts.

Kaufman was found to have claimed £115,109 in additional costs allowances on his London flat between 2001 and 2008, and submitted a claim for three months' expenses totalling £14,301.60 in June 2006, which included £8,865 for a 40-inch LCD television and £1,461.83 for a luxury rug imported from New York City (plus £389.91 in customs expenses), which violated regulations forbidding claims for luxury furnishings. He blamed his self-diagnosed obsessive compulsive disorder for his claims, and also said that his condition led him to purchase a pair of Waterford Crystal grapefruit bowls on his parliamentary expenses.[11] Between 2005 and 2007, Kaufman claimed £28,834 for home improvements. He was subsequently summoned to the Parliamentary Fees Office to explain these claims, and in the end was paid £15,329. He also claimed £1,262 for a gas bill that was £1,055 in credit. His claims for food between 2004 and June 2008 were £19,200, close to the maximum allowed. He was also challenged over regular claims for "odd jobs", which he submitted without receipts at a rate of £245 per month, then £5 below the limit for unreceipted expenses, to which he replied by asking why these expenses were being queried.[12] (Wikipedia)
HOW much for a tv?I am staggered.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

SpinningHugo wrote: Well, they stayed seated with one exception: Andy Burnham.
Heh, is that *really* true?? Another "your most esteemed highness" (or whatever it was) moment from him there if so :)

(and I like the guy, as you know)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
Heh, is that *really* true?? Another "your most esteemed highness" (or whatever it was) moment from him there if so :)

Yep

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He is just useless at politics, IMO.
extankie
Backbencher

Post by extankie »

ephemerid wrote:
HindleA wrote:Did you see extankie's suggestion of friend/foe thing where you can choose which posts you can s
I have tried that - but then you lose the thread a bit, plus replies often have the original post in them.

But thank you, and extankie, for the reminder.

Yay! I helped a bit....:)
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

Hi all,
As I said last week I had to take a few days away to collect my lads from Uni (both up north, one in Lancashire, one in God's own county).
Also had to support my eldest who was due in court. For the avoidance of any doubt, in general I am against violence. However my eldest lad, of whom I am immensely proud, is active in fighting the Fascists who periodically crawl out from under a stone & try to intimidate people, principally from different ethnic backgrounds.
He was arrested at Dover earlier in the year for hammering the crap out of a member of the South East Alliance who was also a Britain First member & charged with affray. For those who don't know them, the South East Alliance is basically a bunch of football hooligans from South Coast towns who put aside their differences to unite against migrants, specifically Islamic. Ironically, the leader of the South East Alliance is actually a Cypriot immigrant. Amongst the other "gangs" they associate with are the North West Infidels, the ones who posted that disgusting facebook message when Jo Cox was killed.
After all the worry, we got a phone call this morning from my son's barrister, saying that the police weren't proceeding with the case and he was free to go!

So, did I miss anything while I was away?
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

citizenJA wrote:

It's not a wise choice of words at this time.
Maybe not, but lets get it into perspective. Its not a brick through the window or anything like that.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Not really surprised if Hammond is appointed Chancellor - he was if you recall, the Chief Secretary to the Treasury for whom the infamous 'no money left' (sic) letter was originally meant back in 2010.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Well, if may really wants to Remain...

Andre Walker Verified account
‏@andrejpwalker

Grayling has asked for Secretary of State for Brexit.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Meanwhile in this great joined-up education system that has been foisted up on us...

Morgan slaps down commissioner who told council not to talk to academies

http://schoolsweek.co.uk/morgan-slaps-d ... -academies
Morgan used her speech to announce the launch of a review of the local authority role in schools and children’s social care, which will be chaired by former Hackney children’s services boss Alan Wood.

But John Peck, who chairs Nottinghamshire County Council’s children and young people committee told Morgan that east midlands schools commissioner Jennifer Bexon-Smith had “refused to meet” with his board and had written to him asking him not to meet with academy leaders.

On the one hand, Sir Michael Wilshaw, soon not to be the head of Ofsted, berates local authorities for results and standards, and on the other hand, our RSC wrote to me and told me I should not be having my annual meeting with headteachers of academy schools that fell below floor targets,” he said.

“So there are mixed messages between the two departments. When the GCSE results come out every year, who is it that local media want to come and talk to? It’s me, not the regional schools commissioner. I think there is some work to be done between Ofsted and your department and where we fit into that.”
Well quite.

I always thought that Wilshaw was doing that quite deliberately in the end to make the point that no0one is clear about who should be doing what.
Last edited by RogerOThornhill on Wed 13 Jul, 2016 2:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
minch
Backbencher

Post by minch »

Why does Hodge want just one candidate to challenge Corbyn when there is a tranferable vote?

edited to remove too many 'just's
Last edited by minch on Wed 13 Jul, 2016 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Well, if may really wants to Remain...

‏@andrejpwalker

As swearing now seems ok.

We are all fucked if the moronic incompetent Grayling gets that job.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

minch wrote:Why does Hodge just want just one candidate to challenge Corbyn when there is a tranferable vote?
Because she is basically rather dense?
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

extankie wrote:
ephemerid wrote:
HindleA wrote:Did you see extankie's suggestion of friend/foe thing where you can choose which posts you can s
I have tried that - but then you lose the thread a bit, plus replies often have the original post in them.

Have just tried this ,now await a post from you know who.Which I won't see,hopefully.
minch
Backbencher

Post by minch »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
minch wrote:Why does Hodge want just one candidate to challenge Corbyn when there is a tranferable vote?
That's what I thought - it was also mentioned on Newsnight last night (I cannot remember by who) that only one person should challenge. Is that why the Cons have to have more than one ballot as they cannot cope with such a tricky method of voting.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I wonder if David Cameron will be asking the Quing if she can put him and his family up in one of her spare wings at Buckingham Palace? In order that the children can be eased into their new life, you understand, without any interruption to their schooling.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

SpinningHugo wrote:

‏@andrejpwalker

I suppose the "hope" is that he FUBARs it all up so much that Brexit never actually happens?
minch
Backbencher

Post by minch »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:

‏@andrejpwalker

I suppose the "hope" is that he FUBARs it all up so much that Brexit never actually happens?
I guess the markets are thinking that it might never happen as the pound is (very slowly) going up
extankie
Backbencher

Post by extankie »

Rebecca wrote:
extankie wrote:
ephemerid wrote: I have tried that - but then you lose the thread a bit, plus replies often have the original post in them.

Have just tried this ,now await a post from you know who.Which I won't see,hopefully.
Seems it does show the offending post if it`s quoted.........sorry, not as good as I first thought:(
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Well worth a listen

Johanna Baxter of the NEC on yesterday's meeting.

It is at 35m 06

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07jqqw5#play" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Warning, she is quite distressed.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

And if you thought UK politics was bad

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/ ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

minch wrote:Why does Hodge want just one candidate to challenge Corbyn when there is a tranferable vote?

So if JC loses then there's a clear leader,
commanding full, loyal support from the plp,
(and therefore everyone who matters)?
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

RobertSnozers wrote:
danesclose wrote:Hi all,
As I said last week I had to take a few days away to collect my lads from Uni (both up north, one in Lancashire, one in God's own county).
Also had to support my eldest who was due in court. For the avoidance of any doubt, in general I am against violence. However my eldest lad, of whom I am immensely proud, is active in fighting the Fascists who periodically crawl out from under a stone & try to intimidate people, principally from different ethnic backgrounds.
He was arrested at Dover earlier in the year for hammering the crap out of a member of the South East Alliance who was also a Britain First member & charged with affray. For those who don't know them, the South East Alliance is basically a bunch of football hooligans from South Coast towns who put aside their differences to unite against migrants, specifically Islamic. Ironically, the leader of the South East Alliance is actually a Cypriot immigrant. Amongst the other "gangs" they associate with are the North West Infidels, the ones who posted that disgusting facebook message when Jo Cox was killed.
After all the worry, we got a phone call this morning from my son's barrister, saying that the police weren't proceeding with the case and he was free to go!

So, did I miss anything while I was away?
Superb news! Good on your son.

Are the South East Alliance related to the South Coast Resistance?
I think the South Coast Resistance (who are mainly Portsmouth hooligans) probably are part of the South East Alliance, who have "firms" from a number of football clubs as well as organisations such as Kent Infidels. These generally consist of 15-20 racist scumbags who won't fight unless they outnumber the opposition at least 2-1
It's amusing to see them kettled in a Wetherspoons at these demos. When they get full of Stella & can't find anyone else to fight they will fight each other
ScarletGas
Committee Chair

Post by ScarletGas »

Sch'mae all,

Just a thought

Cameron was telling us all in 2010 that we lived in "broken Britain"

If that was true then what in the hell are we living in now!

Legacy my arse!!
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

From a year and a bit ago...
adam wrote:Having allowed labour to crucify themselves in scotland fighting against independence, I am sure that Cameron's and Crosby's next plan is to allow them to do the same across those 'purple in second place' areas on the map in the coming EU referendum.

On current form I am quite sure that the referendum will be lost and that we'll be leaving, (go on, tell me what the polls say, I fucking dare you) and that this will be followed by a second but this time successful indieref in Scotland. The tories will divide in two on europe but will come back together afterwards. Cameron's hope is that the referendum will be the bedrock for UKIPs capture of 'old' working class labour.

So I would very very strongly argue that labour should have nothing to do with Cameron's albatross. Don't get involved, don't campaign, don't take part. It's his mess. If Labour fight UKIP for Cameron on the referendum then 2020 in the urban north and midlands will be Scotland.
ta-da!

So, what have I missed?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I'm afraid you've been thwarted (courtesy of RobertSnozers).

Edited - bold
Last edited by PorFavor on Wed 13 Jul, 2016 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

RobertSnozers wrote: They came to Southampton a few weeks ago. Hundreds, if not thousands of demonstrators turned up to tell them to get lost. We chased them around the city for a couple of hours, preventing them from dishing out hate literature, and eventually cornered them at the railway station. The police arranged a taxi for them. Taxi, singular. I don't reckon there can have been more than half a dozen.
A taxi full was quite a good turn out TBF.
There was one demo where only 1 guy turned up, and was complaining quite vociferously (if not eloquently!) on Facebook
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@adam

Lovely to see you here!
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

In more reshuffle speculation, the Telegraph’s Christopher Hope says George Osborne will be replaced as chancellor and will lead the government. (Politics Live, Guardian - my emphasis)
And then I read on -
Christopher Hope

@christopherhope

George Osborne is to leave the Government, MPs say. One early backer of Mrs May tells me: "She doesn't need him." http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07 ... ster-live/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … (Politics Live, Guardian - my emphasis)
3:09 PM - 13 Jul 2016
One of Andrew Sparrow's more health-damaging typos.
Lost Soul
Committee Chair

Post by Lost Soul »

SpinningHugo wrote:And if you thought UK politics was bad

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/ ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
over here they get an MBE !

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... irdressing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Oh.

Nick Boles Verified account
‏@NickBolesMP

It has been a privilege to serve under David Cameron. Theresa May will have my full support from the back benches " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …

Won't be missed by the FE people.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

SpinningHugo wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:

Yep

N.B. This is based solely on the photo in that tweet so I could be wrong:

It looks to me that he was just one of the MPs already stood up around the speaker's chair because there was no seating available (the house is likely to have been full for a final PMQs, no? And there's not enough seating for all the MPs in our ridiculous fricking parliament). If he's stood up from the front bench, where's the gap showing where he was sitting?

In other words, this is possibly just someone shit stirring.

Edit: apostronot.
Last edited by JonnyT1234 on Wed 13 Jul, 2016 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Donald Trump: Making America Hate Again
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Hellooooo Adam!

You were absolutely right, you clever thing, you. Hope you are well.

That Gerald Kaufmann came into my A&E once. He was supposed to be meeting a consultant elsewhere in the building but his driver dropped him off by our emergency entrance.
He demanded to know who was in charge (me), insisted I get Prof.X for him immediately, and plonked himself down at the doctors' desk. I told him to get out of my A&E and go to main reception (in the old Dean Ryle St. building, it was right next to the A&E waiting room - you could see it from where he was sitting)

He was horrified that I wouldn't do as he said, and intoned "Do you know who I am?". I never thought people really said that......

Merlyn Rees was an absolute gent. Insisted on waiting in the waiting room with everyone else. Lovely man.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

RobertSnozers wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:
minch wrote:Why does Hodge just want just one candidate to challenge Corbyn when there is a tranferable vote?
I suspect because even a few second choices for Corbyn from whoever gets knocked out first might be enough to get him over the line.
It's more likely that, should he not win the first round outright, he may still get close to 50% while the other candidates would see the remaining 50%+ split many, many ways. It'd make it look as though Corbyn was trouncing everyone, despite not doing enough to win outright. So (even more) bad PR for the PLP, basically.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

ephemerid wrote:He was horrified that I wouldn't do as he said, and intoned "Do you know who I am?".
... "The pompous knob whose clothes sense could give one of my patients a cardiac arrest?" would have been my sorely wanted to say response.
thatchersorphan
Committee Chair

Post by thatchersorphan »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... iving-fund" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Disabled people call for return of UK-wide Independent Living Fund

Today has also been #PIPfightback day http://dpac.uk.net/national-pipfightbac ... e-country/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
minch
Backbencher

Post by minch »

JonnyT1234 wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote: Because she is basically rather dense?
I suspect because even a few second choices for Corbyn from whoever gets knocked out first might be enough to get him over the line.
It's more likely that, should he not win the first round outright, he may still get close to 50% while the other candidates would see the remaining 50%+ split many, many ways. It'd make it look as though Corbyn was trouncing everyone, despite not doing enough to win outright. So (even more) bad PR for the PLP, basically.
If no one gets 50% then the last place votes are distributed till someone does. For the deputy leader it took a few goes. Was there bad PR after the deputy leader result?
Maeght
Committee Chair

Post by Maeght »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ty-members" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gary Younge

" The Parliamentary Labour party has obsessed about nothing else for the best part of a year. In all that time it has not produced a plausible strategy, programme or policy designed to win back those who voted for Corbyn. "

"Eagle is a different matter altogether............... At her launch she floated not a single idea."

" Corbyn was woefully unprepared to be leader. Nobody expected him to win, least of all himself. Corbyn stood to make a difference, not to lead a party. It has, at times, been painful to watch him learn on the job in such a very public way. I have desperately wanted him to raise his game, in the knowledge that given the hostility of the media and the mutiny within the party, the game was rigged against him."

" If Corbyn resigned tomorrow, the issues that he raised would still stand, and the Parliamentary Labour party would still have no coherent response to them. He did not create the dislocation between the PLP and the membership, he merely illustrates it."
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

JonnyT1234 wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote: Heh, is that *really* true?? Another "your most esteemed highness" (or whatever it was) moment from him there if so :)

Yep

N.B. This is based solely on the photo in that tweet so I could be wrong:

It looks to me that he was just one of the MPs already stood up around the speaker's chair because there was no seating available (the house is likely to have been full for a final PMQs, no? And there's not enough seating for all the MPs in our ridiculous fricking parliament). If he's stood up from the front bench, where's the gap showing where he was sitting?

In other words, this is possibly just someone shit stirring.

Edit: apostronot.
Nah, watch the end of the video

I just thought it funny, it isn't a big deal.
minch
Backbencher

Post by minch »

A silly thought (to finish off page 3).
If the Conservative party's policies move to the left when the Labour part moves to the Left (to fill a void) and it looks like the Conservatives will be in power whatever happens in the Labour party is the country not better off with a more Left leaning Labour party?
minch
Backbencher

Post by minch »

Look who is the Favourite for the next PM after May
http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/bri ... e-minister" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Next up - The Quing calls out down the Buckingham Palace steps, "Er - Mr Cameron! I believe you arrived here with three children!"
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

minch wrote:If no one gets 50% then the last place votes are distributed till someone does. For the deputy leader it took a few goes. Was there bad PR after the deputy leader result?
I think it's fair to say that the circumstances here are somewhat different to the ones for the deputy several months ago. ;)

Imagine:

Corbyn 49%
Smith 21%
Eagle 10%
Watson 10%
Burnham 8% (poor Andy, sniff)
Kendall 2%
Cooper 0%

The potential for something like that really isn't going to look good for the PLP - unity? What unity?
minch
Backbencher

Post by minch »

JonnyT1234 wrote:
minch wrote:If no one gets 50% then the last place votes are distributed till someone does. For the deputy leader it took a few goes. Was there bad PR after the deputy leader result?
I think it's fair to say that the circumstances here are somewhat different to the ones for the deputy several months ago. ;)

Imagine:

Corbyn 49%
Smith 21%
Eagle 10%
Watson 10%
Burnham 8% (poor Andy, sniff)
Kendall 2%
Cooper 0%

The potential for something like that really isn't going to look good for the PLP - unity? What unity?
Good grief no spoilt votes ;)
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

minch wrote:Look who is the Favourite for the next PM after May
http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/bri ... e-minister" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
At 5/1

You can get 5/1 on his ever being PM (a better bet)

http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/bri ... n-specials" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Unbelievably long odds for the leader of the opposition.
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

Brenda to Teresa - here you are, girl, here's the keys to my kingdom and, please, don't make such a bog-up of it as the last ****head.
The truth ferret speaks!