Wednesday 13th July 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Wednesday 13th July 2016

Post by HindleA »

#BanTheBoris
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

HindleA wrote:Boris has agreed to have a sex change I believe,as part of conditions.
He changes who he has sex with very frequently already.
Donald Trump: Making America Hate Again
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

Gary Lineker's take on the new cabinet:
2016-07-13_201957.jpg
2016-07-13_201957.jpg (35.37 KiB) Viewed 7114 times
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Boris The Clown
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Really?

Freddie Whittaker
‏@FCDWhittaker

New Department for International Trade established, led by Liam Fox. Does this pave the way for break-up of BIS? Will DfE get HE and FE?

Lots of foreign travel for an old chum then...
And people thought that leaving the EU would protect us from TTIP
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

If.you thought that was bad I've just had a 'phone call from Number 10.

Asking if I would do some shopping.for them tomorrow.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Can't compute Boris information.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Johnson did compare the EU to the Nazi state, didn't he? Just last month, right? I didn't imagine it, did I?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

William Bain ‏@William_Bain 3m3 minutes ago

So far, looking like the Tory right having more influence in Govt than for a generation - hard to square with Downing St speech earlier
40 retweets 22 likes

Indeed.

Still waiting for education...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Jeremy Cliffe‏ @JeremyCliffe

Boris won't have role in Brexit. Suspect he will accelerate FCO's transformation from foreign ministry to glorified trade promotion agency.
13 Jul 2016, 8:01 pm
Jeremy Cliffe of the Economist demonstrating that he's not very bright there.

There's only one thing that the FCO will be promoting now, and it sure as hell won't be trade.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

HindleA wrote:If.you thought that was bad I've just had a 'phone call from Number 10.

Asking if I would do some shopping.for them tomorrow.
New shoes needed? May, if she has any sense, won't be wanting to fill the old ones.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

Any news of Health yet? Or Murdoch's representative on earth (Culture Secretary)?
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

danesclose wrote:Any news of Health yet? Or Murdoch's representative on earth (Culture Secretary)?
Yet to slither out from behind the tree.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Tim Bale‏ @ProfTimBale

Now let me think, what high-profile cabinet job can someone cock up in but ruin only their own career, not their party's electoral chances?
13 Jul 2016, 8:26 pm
If you are a Tory, Prime Minister apparently.
Last edited by JonnyT1234 on Wed 13 Jul, 2016 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

2016-07-13_204025.jpg
2016-07-13_204025.jpg (28.1 KiB) Viewed 7032 times
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

HindleA wrote:Boris The Clown
Boris the Spider
The truth ferret speaks!
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Did I miss the DWP

( the one responsible for persecuting the disabled et al )
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Further to the blatant misogyny of May's Tory Party, she's now making up jobs to give to the men. Fox has been made Minister for TTIP (whether or not that's with or without a very good friend, not yet clear).
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Any news yet on when May gives David Miliband the position he so richly deserves?
Lost Soul
Committee Chair

Post by Lost Soul »

Liam Fox...oh dear god ...no
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

The only good news, so far, is that George Osborne has been humiliated. I never thought I'd wonder if that wouldn't delight me.

Edited - typo
Last edited by PorFavor on Wed 13 Jul, 2016 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

frog222 wrote:Did I miss the DWP

Jacob Rees Mogg is Secretary of State for the new dept of Victorian Workhouses.DWP is scrapped.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

TobyLatimer wrote:
frog222 wrote:Did I miss the DWP

Jacob Rees Mogg is Secretary of State for the new dept of Victorian Workhouses.DWP is scrapped.
I think you'll find the position went to his nanny.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

JonnyT1234 wrote:Any news yet on when May gives David Miliband the position he so richly deserves?

You forgot Hilary Benn, that other ally in the warmongering adventures.

DMiliband was a great coverer-up of Rendition and Torture, I wonder where Hilary stood on those ?

Angela Eagle also ... ?

I hear Owen Smith was against Syria, a point in favour, but know nothing about him apart from having been (being?) a Pfizer lobbyist . More info and opinions welcome .
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

frog222 wrote:I hear Owen Smith was against Syria, a point in favour, but know nothing about him apart from having been (being?) a Pfizer lobbyist . More info and opinions welcome .
He's not Jeremy Corbyn. Apparently this makes some people wet their pants with glee.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

PorFavor wrote:The only good news, so far, is that George Osborne has been humiliated.
The bad news? That's the kind of thing he really, really, really enjoys.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

"The power of goodbye"?

(Laura Kuenssberg on David Cameron's departure.)
thatchersorphan
Committee Chair

Post by thatchersorphan »

frog222 wrote:
JonnyT1234 wrote:Any news yet on when May gives David Miliband the position he so richly deserves?

DMiliband was a great coverer-up of Rendition and Torture, I wonder where Hilary stood on those ?

Angela Eagle also ... ?

I hear Owen Smith was against Syria, a point in favour, but know nothing about him apart from having been (being?) a Pfizer lobbyist . More info and opinions welcome .

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales ... ar_twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Owen Smith on the Iraq War
"We are making significant inroads in improving what is happening in Iraq.
"I thought at the time the tradition of the Labour Party and the tradition of left-wing engagement to remove dictators was a noble, valuable tradition, and one that in South Wales, from the Spanish Civil War onwards, we have recognised and played a part in."
thatchersorphan
Committee Chair

Post by thatchersorphan »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 35396.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Owen Smith has promised to hold a second referendum on any Brexit deal if he is elected leader of the Labour Party.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

thatchersorphan wrote:
frog222 wrote:

Angela Eagle also ... ?

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales ... ar_twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I thought at the time the tradition of the Labour Party and the tradition of left-wing engagement to remove dictators was a noble, valuable tradition, and one that in South Wales, from the Spanish Civil War onwards, we have recognised and played a part in."
Thanks for the link .

OK it was ten years ago, and he may have grown up since , but already in 2006 that was uninformed about both the dire situation in Iraq, and on PFI !
"I'm not someone, frankly, who gets terribly wound up about some of the ideological nuances that get read into some of these things, and I think sometimes they are totally overblown."
That was on the NHS .

I'm quite used to a mixed Health System here, and take advantage of both 'sides', but have deep suspicion of colonisation of it by the multinationals ...

I suspect OS is clueless on that .
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

How To Be Wrong About Everything

And this was only 3 hrs ago when Hammond's name was already in the frame for Chancellor and Osborne was tipped for the sack.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Thus far, of the 6 positions appointed, all 6 have voted consistently against measures to tackle climate change. At least 2 (Davis, Johnson) are climate change denying nutjobs. One suspects Fox and Fallon are too. Almost all voted consistently against equal rights for gay people (Rudd and Johnson the exceptions).

Brighter, shinier, nasty party 2.0.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

RobertSnozers wrote:
thatchersorphan wrote:
frog222 wrote:

Angela Eagle also ... ?

I think Mr Smith needs to undertake a history course if he thinks the Spanish Civil War was about removing a dictator.
Robert -- it does indeed show a somewhat superficial knowledge of History , as i just pointed out in another, recent very parallel post about Iraq and PFI !
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

That Cher doesn't love you after all Boris...
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (92.48 KiB) Viewed 6799 times
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:How To Be Wrong About Everything

And this was only 3 hrs ago when Hammond's name was already in the frame for Chancellor and Osborne was tipped for the sack.

Not associated with Roger's post at all !!!!

But the first few words of this do demonstrate the lightheartedness and random nature of JC's nomination to be a leadership candidate, at all

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07jyrdn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Corbyn Story 1/3
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

You need to do a double take on this but it's had me in fits of laughter, childish little twerp that I am...

Is or is not Dave Gorman imagining things about May's visit to the Queen?

PS. Is the Queen really short and/or is Theresa May very tall?

Things I had not noticed before.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

RobertSnozers wrote:
frog222 wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote: I think Mr Smith needs to undertake a history course if he thinks the Spanish Civil War was about removing a dictator.
Robert -- it does indeed show a somewhat superficial knowledge of History , as i just pointed out in another, recent very parallel post about Iraq and PFI !
Indeed! I've been a pragmatic supporter of PFI in the past, and I think in theory there are good reasons for using it in some parts of the public sector, but in reality the chances of the public sector getting a bad deal are high (as is the vulnerability to changes in inflation etc).

In terms of the running of services, I don't know how anyone who calls themselves a left winger could countenance any private involvement other than the smallest, and most reluctantly.
Given the lack of hardened negotiators in the Civil Service, and the simple maths of public borrowing being Always Cheaper than private, I was always a priori against PFI .

Monbiot wrote this in 2001, FFS !

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss ... tive+state" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There have been a VERY few examples of Inadequate PFI bids being taken at their contractural words , and forced to provide while making a loss, but usually the Weasels are able to do a runner .
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

Ok, the thing is done now, and a new era of British politics has officially begun. Cameron and Osborne, Britain's most inept Prime Minister ever, and the most unflinchingly doctrinaire economically-challenged Chancellor of all time have gone, one because he's a coward and the other because at least Teresa May isn't stupid enough to keep him. There has been a reset at the top, and I get the sense of a new seriousness settling in (though the inclusion of Boris Johnson at the top table,in one of the great Offices of State is a major sign that this impression might be completely off-the-wall).

Nevertheless, I do stand by my impression that Teresa May is much more serious about the business of being Prime Minister than the Bullingdon Boys ever were, and that we are in for something different now.

Let's be equally honest and state right away that we are at our closest to a one-party state since the great Whig hegemony under Robert Walpole. The Labour Party has been torn to pieces and is now functionally useless. I think Corbyn was exactly right to stand his ground, but I also think that Labour is dead, and a formal dissolution of the party, as soon as possible, has to take place before anything can grow on that ground again. The PLP has demonstrated incredible, years-long treachery and an ineptitude at politics that has been greater than anything Corbyn has been accused of. Don't try sticking tubes don't the throat of this beast, if it wakes up it will be without a working synapse.

I think that, to some extent, it is fair to say that Corbyn has never grasped that the purpose of politics is to be in power to implement your policies and beliefs. But to an even greater extent, the majority of the PLP, and especially those ringleaders who have actively sought to undermine their own side in order to pursue power have never grasped that the purpose of politics is to have policies and beliefs that you want to implement for the benefit of the majority of the people over whom that power is to be exercised.

What use is political power if all you want to do is to ape your political opponents? From the very beginning an accommodation between the two wings was needed but once side's idea of compromise, of combination, of collegiacy was to have 100% of what they wanted.

Corbyn has been the catalyst. His election made the fault stresses in Labour too visible to be suppressed. Without him, it would have limped on, either into futility as a pale shadow of the Tories, or until someone else was given prominence by people desperately wanting, and needing things the PLP won't give them.

We are in the midst of change. The demons are loose. This is the best time to square our shoulders and get involved in the Change. Build what we want to see. Everything has been jarred loose. If we cannot make something better than the vehicle that has failed us finally, when can we do this?

Don't ask me how. But let's recognise that this is where we're at. The Groaning Hinges of the World have turned over (and if you know where that comes from, you are a person of great taste and elegance): stop wasting time riding tides that no longer exist.
The truth ferret speaks!
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

mbc1955 wrote:Ok, the thing is done now, and a new era of British politics has officially begun. Cameron and Osborne, Britain's most inept Prime Minister ever, and the most unflinchingly doctrinaire economically-challenged Chancellor of all time have gone, one because he's a coward and the other because at least Teresa May isn't stupid enough to keep him. There has been a reset at the top, and I get the sense of a new seriousness settling in (though the inclusion of Boris Johnson at the top table,in one of the great Offices of State is a major sign that this impression might be completely off-the-wall).

Nevertheless, I do stand by my impression that Teresa May is much more serious about the business of being Prime Minister than the Bullingdon Boys ever were, and that we are in for something different now.

Let's be equally honest and state right away that we are at our closest to a one-party state since the great Whig hegemony under Robert Walpole. The Labour Party has been torn to pieces and is now functionally useless. I think Corbyn was exactly right to stand his ground, but I also think that Labour is dead, and a formal dissolution of the party, as soon as possible, has to take place before anything can grow on that ground again. The PLP has demonstrated incredible, years-long treachery and an ineptitude at politics that has been greater than anything Corbyn has been accused of. Don't try sticking tubes don't the throat of this beast, if it wakes up it will be without a working synapse.

I think that, to some extent, it is fair to say that Corbyn has never grasped that the purpose of politics is to be in power to implement your policies and beliefs. But to an even greater extent, the majority of the PLP, and especially those ringleaders who have actively sought to undermine their own side in order to pursue power have never grasped that the purpose of politics is to have policies and beliefs that you want to implement for the benefit of the majority of the people over whom that power is to be exercised.

What use is political power if all you want to do is to ape your political opponents? From the very beginning an accommodation between the two wings was needed but once side's idea of compromise, of combination, of collegiacy was to have 100% of what they wanted.

Corbyn has been the catalyst. His election made the fault stresses in Labour too visible to be suppressed. Without him, it would have limped on, either into futility as a pale shadow of the Tories, or until someone else was given prominence by people desperately wanting, and needing things the PLP won't give them.

We are in the midst of change. The demons are loose. This is the best time to square our shoulders and get involved in the Change. Build what we want to see. Everything has been jarred loose. If we cannot make something better than the vehicle that has failed us finally, when can we do this?

Don't ask me how. But let's recognise that this is where we're at. The Groaning Hinges of the World have turned over (and if you know where that comes from, you are a person of great taste and elegance): stop wasting time riding tides that no longer exist.
This is the nub of it mbc.

Nobody knows how. And those who grace our fora with their certainties about the future are simply deluded. The only certainty is that nobody near power knows what the electorate thinks. At all.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
mbc1955 wrote:Ok, the thing is done now, and a new era of British politics has officially begun. Cameron and Osborne, Britain's most inept Prime Minister ever, and the most unflinchingly doctrinaire economically-challenged Chancellor of all time have gone, one because he's a coward and the other because at least Teresa May isn't stupid enough to keep him. There has been a reset at the top, and I get the sense of a new seriousness settling in (though the inclusion of Boris Johnson at the top table,in one of the great Offices of State is a major sign that this impression might be completely off-the-wall).

te

Well said MBC !!!!!
extankie
Backbencher

Post by extankie »

PorFavor wrote:Boris Johnson as Foreign Secretary? (BBC)
oh ffs, we will be at war so fast.......