Thursday 14th July 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday 14th July 2016

Post by PorFavor »

9m ago 12:23

Patrick McLoughlin has just come out of Number 10. He was transport secretary, but he would not tell the reporters what his new job is. (Politics Live, Guardian)
Surely he hasn't forgotten already? Pillock.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Rumours that Hunt might actually be staying at Health now :roll:
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Rumours that Hunt might actually be staying at Health now :roll:
Yes, I heard that. I wonder why he's been called in to Downing Street?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Crabb at W&P

Bye bye IDS
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

:sick: IDS spotted walking into no.10. :sick:
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

May has done more reform of government in 2 days than Cameron managed in 6 years.

Some of it forced upon her granted but the rest is entirely hers. Wonder where all of this is coming from - Nick Timothy perhaps?
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Patrick McLoughlin - Party Chair, apparently.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

PorFavor wrote:Patrick McLoughlin - Party Chair, apparently.
And Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster - I would refer you to this.
I still believe in a town called Hope
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

ScreenShot01483.jpg
ScreenShot01483.jpg (50.74 KiB) Viewed 6279 times
http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/politics/ ... 0714110832" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Telegraph Politics ‏@TelePolitics 1h1 hour ago
Despite the rumours, Downing Street have confirmed Jeremy Hunt will continue as Secretary of State for Health http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07 ... hnson-and/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

ephemerid wrote:This isn't a reshuffle - it's a completely new government, not just a new PM.

Lots of sacked people on the back benches, with a majority of just 12.

Ooooer.........this could be fun.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And now, in the interests of democracy, presumably, here are the people who cannot vote in the Labour leadership election:
Anyone who became a registered supporter within the past year but who hasn't got £25;
Anyone who became a full subscription-paying member of the party after February 2016;
Anyone who has joined a union since the referendum to get an affiliated union vote.

So - the people who want to support Corbyn and the people who want to support "Saving Labour" (sic) but were not fully paid-up members before February will not get a say in who leads their party.
The current membership is about 515,000 - of those, at least 100,000 joined since the "Chicken Coup" started; 200,000 joined after the GE, as the membership was just over 200,000 on GE day in 2015.

It would seem that the NEC are happy to prevent half the current membership from voting.
The NEC has also banned all CLPs from having any meetings at all until the contest is over.

Nobody knows which way the people excluded from the ballot would have voted - and now we never will.
The ban on CLP meetings is apparently aimed at preventing threats/violence - of which both sides are guilty.

This is absolutely ridiculous.
This is the party that we should all strive to keep intact because of the efforts and quality of the very people being messed over in this fashion? I remain unconvinced. This talent, this energy needs to be harnessed to something better, something cleaner and more inspiring, something with a future. This has only got an unending present that no-one in their right mind wants.
The truth ferret speaks!
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Baroness Evans becomes leader of the House of Lords.

So...New Schools Network - the 'independent (sic) charity'. Directors so far

1. House of Lords
2. No 10 policy advisor
3. No 10 policy advisor
fedup59
Committee Member

Post by fedup59 »

mbc1955 wrote:
ephemerid wrote:This isn't a reshuffle - it's a completely new government, not just a new PM.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And now, in the interests of democracy, presumably, here are the people who cannot vote in the Labour leadership election:
Anyone who became a registered supporter within the past year but who hasn't got £25;
Anyone who became a full subscription-paying member of the party after February 2016;
Anyone who has joined a union since the referendum to get an affiliated union vote.

So - the people who want to support Corbyn and the people who want to support "Saving Labour" (sic) but were not fully paid-up members before February will not get a say in who leads their party.
The current membership is about 515,000 - of those, at least 100,000 joined since the "Chicken Coup" started; 200,000 joined after the GE, as the membership was just over 200,000 on GE day in 2015.

It would seem that the NEC are happy to prevent half the current membership from voting.
The NEC has also banned all CLPs from having any meetings at all until the contest is over.

Nobody knows which way the people excluded from the ballot would have voted - and now we never will.
The ban on CLP meetings is apparently aimed at preventing threats/violence - of which both sides are guilty.

This is the party that we should all strive to keep intact because of the efforts and quality of the very people being messed over in this fashion? I remain unconvinced. This talent, this energy needs to be harnessed to something better, something cleaner and more inspiring, something with a future. This has only got an unending present that no-one in their right mind wants.
I agree. It''s machine politics at its worst and it's in the hands of people who have over thirty years experience of closing down alternative views.

They are determined,as far as I can see, to make sure the politics of top-down control is sustained by obedient grass roots. If the PLP members who appear to have joined the abortive coup to save the party would now come out and fight for party democracy I might see some hope the future. I can't see any other route for the survival of a connected party organisation.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

It is utterly unacceptable that people who can't be bothered to join Labour just turn up and vote for leader. It is similarly utterly unacceptable that Unite were offering cut price deals to subvert NEC rules.

It reduces the whole thing to an arms race, as Militant/Momentum/amusingly the Communist Party of GB and a few Tories try to recruit their mates to vote for Corbyn. Similarly you get the same behaviour from the other side. Momentum are even fund raising to pay peoples membership.

We have people who actively campaign against Labour voting for its leader. This simply has to stop before all faith in the process is lost.

I admire the NEC for actually putting a stop to this blatant corruption of the system.
Release the Guardvarks.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

I think that the diplomatic term for how the French feel about Boris Johnson's appointment is 'fucking pissed off, there's no way in hell we're going to negotiate away a damned thing to that lying shit'..

In some ways, what they actually said is even worse than my paraphrasing.
Donald Trump: Making America Hate Again
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

It's worth noting that Murdoch's insidious influence has taken a knock with the ousting of his fan boys Gove and Whittingdale.
JustMom
Committee Member

Post by JustMom »

A lot of people just cannot afford the rates to join the labour party,I myself only joined because I got pensioner rates.
Students and young people can afford £3.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I'm intrigued about Jeremy Hunt's audience at Downing Street. Any theories\wild suppositions, anyone?

Edited - typo (no, not that one)
Last edited by PorFavor on Thu 14 Jul, 2016 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:It is utterly unacceptable that people who can't be bothered to join Labour just turn up and vote for leader. It is similarly utterly unacceptable that Unite were offering cut price deals to subvert NEC rules.

It reduces the whole thing to an arms race, as Militant/Momentum/amusingly the Communist Party of
I admire the NEC for actually putting a stop to this blatant corruption of the system.
So, presumably, you find it utterly unacceptable that there are 10s of thousands who did join Labour but have been excluded....

"Tumbleweeds"

It's amazing just how anti-democracy the right wing... the RIGHT wing, not the 'Stalinist' left... of the Labour Party are.

Good, bad, indifferent, these rules were set long before Corbyn. If they can be corrupted it's the fault of the party before Corbyn arrived on the scene. If they need changing do it democratically. This is just one more part of a corrupt and anti-democratic coup.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Also, if you want to win with a right wing candidate, try finding one who appeals to people to a large enough extent that they will actually join the party and vote for them. Stop bloody whining because your side is completely incapable of doing this and has been since 1997. The problem has been staring you in the face for decades yet you've done nothing to fix it. Nothing at all.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

The point is, Corbyn is still going to be re-elected despite all this.

Unless a significant number of people who previously supported him can be persuaded not to do so now.

Blatant exclusion of large numbers from voting will just get people's backs up, and make them *less* persuadable not more.

I can forsee challenges to at least some of these cobbled together changes anyway (for one thing, I can't believe a lot of unions are happy)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Mensch is her usual classy self, trolling a parent of a sick child.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CnUxabAWYAAkltK.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

JonnyT1234 wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:It is utterly unacceptable that people who can't be bothered to join Labour just turn up and vote for leader. It is similarly utterly unacceptable that Unite were offering cut price deals to subvert NEC rules.

It reduces the whole thing to an arms race, as Militant/Momentum/amusingly the Communist Party of
So, presumably, you find it utterly unacceptable that there are 10s of thousands who did join Labour but have been excluded....

"Tumbleweeds"

It's amazing just how anti-democracy the right wing... the RIGHT wing, not the 'Stalinist' left... of the Labour Party are.

Good, bad, indifferent, these rules were set long before Corbyn. If they can be corrupted it's the fault of the party before Corbyn arrived on the scene. If they need changing do it democratically. This is just one more part of a corrupt and anti-democratic coup.
There was something posted on Twitter quoting Blair supporting Ed Miliband's changes to the leadership election procedure, with words along the lines of "I wish I'd had the courage to make the changes Ed made".
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

yahyah wrote:Mensch is her usual classy self, trolling a parent of a sick child.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CnUxabAWYAAkltK.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Why does the woman have to be so gratuitously offensive? It's like some weird variation of Tourette's syndrome. I (seriously) think she should seek help.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

PorFavor wrote:I'm intrigued about Jeremy Hunt's audience at Downing Street. Any theories\wild suppositions, anyone?

Edited - typo (no, not that one)

Still haven't had Deputy Prime Minister,
or Minister for attending to Larry the cat.
(feeding, de-fleaing, worming, litter tray etc.)
not sure I'd trust Hunt or IDS with responsibilities though.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

#massivelegend
Marina Hyde at her acerbic best.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

tinybgoat wrote:or Minister for attending to Larry the cat.
(feeding, de-fleaing, worming, litter tray etc.)
I believe that David Cameron has a small amount of time free. However, I'm not sure if the rhythm of cat care syncs well with that of Fruit Ninja and being a tremendous idiot.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

A map of all the countries in the world that Boris Johnson has offended
The small number not currently coloured in are now offended that he hasn't deemed them important enough to offend them.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

I still believe in a town called Hope
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:

It is utterly unacceptable that people who can't be bothered to join Labour just turn up and vote for leader. It is similarly utterly unacceptable that Unite were offering cut price deals to subvert NEC rules.

It reduces the whole thing to an arms race, as Militant/Momentum/amusingly the Communist Party of GB and a few Tories try to recruit their mates to vote for Corbyn. Similarly you get the same behaviour from the other side. Momentum are even fund raising to pay peoples membership.

We have people who actively campaign against Labour voting for its leader. This simply has to stop before all faith in the process is lost.

I think it's utterly unacceptable that 100,000 people who were bothered enough to join Labour as full subscription-paying members are not being allowed a vote because they joined after February - they haven't "just turned up" to vote for the leader.

The only way these full members can vote now is if they pay a further £25 on top of their regular subscriptions. That is wrong.

The fund-raising is for people who are already new full members or already registered supporters - but who have to pay £25.
That fund-raising is not just by Momentum; there are separate groups who are doing this via justgiving etc.
What the unions are doing may not be right - but I can't blame them for wanting to retaliate after what's happened.

Labour has had an estimated £4 Million from people who joined since the GE - and, again, the membership was 200,000 then and is 515,000 now. They've happily accepted the cash, assured people who join that they can vote (among all the other things that being a party member confers), and now they are saying, no, actually, you can't vote.......but they're not returning the cash, are they?

If the NEC does not want these rules, they should not have set them. They are changing the rules for this occasion, and that is wrong.
It is also wrong to ban meetings; I can see no justification for it, and saying that it's because of the threats and intimidation, with certain NEC members publicly blaming one side for it when it applies to both, is preventing members from having any discussion at all.

This is very high-handed behaviour, and it's no wonder that the various groups and factions are doing what they can get around it.
It's unfair to everyone.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Crabb resigned, presumably to spend more time sex texting.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

Crabbe has gone. I hope Priti (vacant) Patel doesn't get the job.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

Crabbe has gone. I hope Priti (vacant) Patel doesn't get the job.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Well, it's been pointed out that so far the Cabinet is very white, so Patel will be given something.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

ephemerid wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:

I think it's utterly unacceptable that 100,000 people who were bothered enough to join Labour as full subscription-paying members are not being allowed a vote because they joined after February - they haven't "just turned up" to vote for the leader.

The only way these full members can vote now is if they pay a further £25 on top of their regular subscriptions. That is wrong.

The fund-raising is for people who are already new full members or already registered supporters - but who have to pay £25.
That fund-raising is not just by Momentum; there are separate groups who are doing this via justgiving etc.
What the unions are doing may not be right - but I can't blame them for wanting to retaliate after what's happened.

Labour has had an estimated £4 Million from people who joined since the GE - and, again, the membership was 200,000 then and is 515,000 now. They've happily accepted the cash, assured people who join that they can vote (among all the other things that being a party member confers), and now they are saying, no, actually, you can't vote.......but they're not returning the cash, are they?

If the NEC does not want these rules, they should not have set them. They are changing the rules for this occasion, and that is wrong.
It is also wrong to ban meetings; I can see no justification for it, and saying that it's because of the threats and intimidation, with certain NEC members publicly blaming one side for it when it applies to both, is preventing members from having any discussion at all.

This is very high-handed behaviour, and it's no wonder that the various groups and factions are doing what they can get around it.
It's unfair to everyone.

I'm wondering if the meetings have been banned to ensure that Eagles and Smiths clp don't get a chance to have a vote of no confidence in them prior to the election.
As for the not eligible to vote,it would be ok to do that from the date of the NEC meeting,but how will they get away with a 6 month retrospective ban?I don't even see how it can be legal.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

yahyah wrote:Crabb resigned, presumably to spend more time sex texting.
He didn't last long.
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor

Post by mbc1955 »

PorFavor wrote:
yahyah wrote:Mensch is her usual classy self, trolling a parent of a sick child.

Why does the woman have to be so gratuitously offensive? It's like some weird variation of Tourette's syndrome. I (seriously) think she should seek help.
If she wasn't gratuitously offensive,would anyone listen to her in the first place?
The truth ferret speaks!
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I've been musing - will autumn now revert to its traditional place in the calendar now that there is a new Chancellor?

Edited - to remove a surplus "will"
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

mbc1955 wrote:
PorFavor wrote:

If she wasn't gratuitously offensive,would anyone listen to her in the first place?
Even by her abysmal standards, that goes way beyond the line. You don't have to be a parent (although she is) to empathise with what the father waiting for his child's op is going through.

I agree that she's mentally unwell. I wonder sometimes what that old bloke she married thinks about her demented and plain nasty behaviour.

She's the sort of sociopathic Tory that gave the Nasty Party its moniker.
Last edited by nickyinnorfolk on Thu 14 Jul, 2016 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Good afternoon all

Getting ready to come over to Cornwall on hols. Fingers crossed for weather

Tory cabinet still awful due to the large number of Tory members. Shuffling awful people for other awful people.

Find the Labour NEC decision to limit voting for leader retrospectively to be appalling (a fact confirmed as TE has supported it in one of his usual repetitive rants)

I do not see how any reputable party can do this undemocratic act and shows why a number of them need to go, closely followed by some members of the PLP

They can go and form their own little club where they have no plebs involved and just listen to the rich
JustMom
Committee Member

Post by JustMom »

Momentum sent me a list of left wingers all up for the election next week,I shall vote for them.

I should say it's for the NEC.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Rebecca wrote:
I'm wondering if the meetings have been banned to ensure that Eagles and Smiths clp don't get a chance to have a vote of no confidence in them prior to the election.
As for the not eligible to vote,it would be ok to do that from the date of the NEC meeting,but how will they get away with a 6 month retrospective ban?I don't even see how it can be legal.
Yes, I've been wondering that, too, Rebecca.

At the last count, I think it was 90-plus CLPs who had reported their confidence votes, with 83% expressing full confidence in Corbyn.

I don't know about Pontypridd CLP; but Wallasey CLP have already written to Eagle expressing their support for Corbyn.

Someone on Twitter says that she got advice from the CAB on this, and apparently they said it was a breach of contract if she'd paid a subscription which confers defined benefits only to have those benefits withdrawn with no notice and no offer of a refund.

I also think that a 6 month ban can't be enforceable - it now applies to affiliated members too. If I'd joined up in March and had paid subs regularly, or got a new job and joined an affiliated union, I'd be very pissed off now if I had to find £25 to exercise the vote that came with my membership just a few months ago.

I think it's a disgraceful situation. The party heirarchy are not handling this well at all.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

http://www.comres.co.uk/polls/bbc-news- ... ions-poll/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Poll for BBC News on British public's expectations of what will happen under Brexit
Half of Britons (52%) say they think that the UK will stay in the single market with some limits on freedom of movement.
:wall:
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor

Post by mbc1955 »

nickyinnorfolk wrote:
mbc1955 wrote:
PorFavor wrote: Why does the woman have to be so gratuitously offensive? It's like some weird variation of Tourette's syndrome. I (seriously) think she should seek help.
Even by her abysmal standards, that goes way beyond the line. You don't have to be a parent (although she is) to empathise with what the father waiting for his child's op is going through.

I agree that she's mentally unwell. I wonder sometimes what that old bloke she married thinks about her demented and plain nasty behaviour.

The older I get, the less time I have for circumlocution and beating around the bush.

The plain fact is that Louise Mensch is a pretty shitty, horrible, stupid person who, in a better age (ie, anything before the one we've got) would not have been known outside her street.
The truth ferret speaks!
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

mbc1955 wrote:
nickyinnorfolk wrote:
mbc1955 wrote: If she wasn't gratuitously offensive,would anyone listen to her in the first place?

The older I get, the less time I have for circumlocution and beating around the bush.

The plain fact is that Louise Mensch is a pretty shitty, horrible, stupid person who, in a better age (ie, anything before the one we've got) would not have been known outside her street.
Very well said.
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor

Post by mbc1955 »

ephemerid wrote:
Rebecca wrote:
Yes, I've been wondering that, too, Rebecca.

At the last count, I think it was 90-plus CLPs who had reported their confidence votes, with 83% expressing full confidence in Corbyn.

I don't know about Pontypridd CLP; but Wallasey CLP have already written to Eagle expressing their support for Corbyn.

Someone on Twitter says that she got advice from the CAB on this, and apparently they said it was a breach of contract if she'd paid a subscription which confers defined benefits only to have those benefits withdrawn with no notice and no offer of a refund.

I also think that a 6 month ban can't be enforceable - it now applies to affiliated members too. If I'd joined up in March and had paid subs regularly, or got a new job and joined an affiliated union, I'd be very pissed off now if I had to find £25 to exercise the vote that came with my membership just a few months ago.

I think it's a disgraceful situation. The party heirarchy are not handling this well at all.
The plain fact is that they know they're in the minority and they can't win if they play straight,so they'll resort to any trick they think can fix the game for them, no matter how blatantly partisan it is. Young Master Blair certainly showed them how to learn from the Tories.
The truth ferret speaks!
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

TE is fundamentally correct IMHO

I have these occasional break outs in giving an opinion.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

HindleA wrote:TE is fundamentally correct IMHO

I have these occasional break outs in giving an opinion.
That is your opinion HindleA and I accept it but profoundly disagree as it is undemocratic...fortunately this NEC will not be in place much longer

I have seen nothing that TE posts that I agree with at the moment. Just rants
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Chris Grayling 'appointed transport secretary'

Oh dear, that's a horrible one right now with HS2 and extra runway.
minch
Backbencher

Post by minch »

Is there anything in the Labour rule book about how long you have to be a member before you can vote? If there is (and it is 6 months) then the problem is not making this clear (including by AE), if there is no rule about waiting 6 months then the NEC have made a mistake.
Does anyone know the rule book?