Thursday 14th July 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday 14th July 2016

Post by ohsocynical »

The Canary
‏@TheCanarySays

The Labour Leadership battle has just taken another shocking turn

http://www.thecanary.co/2016/07/14/labo ... king-turn/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … #olsx #LabourLeadership #LabourNEC
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:I agree. The only standout exception is Greening at Education. I hope she survives there, insofar as the Tory government survives at all of course.
Well, there were the likes of Hugo and TE telling us not that long ago how the Tories would seize the 'middle' ground that has been vacated by Corbyn... Yet all that has predictably happened is that they've seized it, then yanked it all the way over with them to the far right. And now we'll be told how 'Angela Smith' when shehe gets elected on their 'moderate' manifesto is being 'too left wing' and that they're abandoning the middle ground, elections are never won away from the middle ground, blah, blah, blah, boring fricking blah. And I'll be left stood where I was pointing out that 'Angela Smith' is more right wing than Thatcher ever was. And no, I'm not a bloody Stalinist communist.

Bah humbug.
Donald Trump: Making America Hate Again
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

howsillyofme1 wrote:Sky News headline

'May keeps promise by putting more women in the cabinet' - yes 1 more! And a couple of them are sharing a brain cell

I am sure when Corbyn made a 50:50 split he got criticised for not putting enough in....interesting how the media puts their 'spin' on it all!
Corbyn: misogynist, anti-Semitic democracy-hating sock and sandal wearing communist (The Guardian)
May: furry bunny loving, liberal softy with no women in her cabinet in any particularly prominent posts but, hey, they're just women so it doesn't matter if you know what I mean (The Guardian).
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Am only now realizing the extent of the gap between democracy and the illusion of it
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
thatchersorphan
Committee Chair

Post by thatchersorphan »

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/10241 ... ford/votes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; How Damian Green voted
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Shocking new development in Labour contest: NEC rules without any vote - because, pish democracy, who needs any of that cobblers? - anyone who has worn socks plus sandals in the past 9 months cannot stand for the leadership.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 37056.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Boris Johnson says Brexit vote does not mean leaving Europe 'in any sense'
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

CnUxxCSWAAAlSF-.jpg
CnUxxCSWAAAlSF-.jpg (120.15 KiB) Viewed 5590 times
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.sandalandsoxer.co.uk/home.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by tinyclanger2 on Thu 14 Jul, 2016 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Labour are behaving like a criminally deceptive organisation at the moment

The dying of the right wing establishment put in place by Blair is now in full attack mode to protect their cushy well-paid jobs

Whatever comes out of it is not going to be perfect but I guess will be as left-wing as John Smith - hopefully there will be a fresher, but principled leader to take over the reigns from Corbyn.......

Woodcock, Reed, Reynolds etc will be no great loss to the party - I hold them in contempt

There are others who could be though and the PLP should understand what the membership are telling them and work out how to use this membership and differentiation from the Blue Meanies to build a successful electoral strategy
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Trump's chosen a Tea Party running mate, Mike Pence.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Climate change department killed off by Theresa May in 'plain stupid' and 'deeply worrying' move
http://www.independent.co.uk/environmen ... 37166.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Tories do indeed hate Britain.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Wonder if any left wing Brexit voters have started to regret their vote ?
Things like the climate change dept being scrapped, not good.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

RobertSnozers wrote:I'm getting a bit tired of the Labour party
Fixed that for you...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Not much consolation, but I was right about the Eagle fiasco. Smith was hiding behind her skirts ...
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

At least he comes across better than Eagle. Not that it is very difficult to.
I'm glad someone other than Farron is talking about a second referendum, he might be on to a vote winner with that. So many people feel abandoned to Brexit.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Glad it was just your internet OhSo. Was worried there might have been a domestic or family problem.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Dr. Chris Jones
‏@dr_chris_jones

I'm told new election rules were not even an item on NEC agenda. Raised after #Corbyn had left.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

yahyah wrote:Glad it was just your internet OhSo. Was worried there might have been a domestic or family problem.
Thankfully we're okay. But what a time to lose the signal! .... Listened to the Beeb, but really don't trust them to tell the whole story...
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

JonnyT1234 wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:I agree. The only standout exception is Greening at Education. I hope she survives there, insofar as the Tory government survives at all of course.
Well, there were the likes of Hugo and TE telling us not that long ago how the Tories would seize the 'middle' ground that has been vacated by Corbyn... Yet all that has predictably happened is that they've seized it, then yanked it all the way over with them to the far right. And now we'll be told how 'Angela Smith' when shehe gets elected on their 'moderate' manifesto is being 'too left wing' and that they're abandoning the middle ground, elections are never won away from the middle ground, blah, blah, blah, boring fricking blah. And I'll be left stood where I was pointing out that 'Angela Smith' is more right wing than Thatcher ever was. And no, I'm not a bloody Stalinist communist.

Bah humbug.

No, as I recall I said the opposite.

Because there is no opposition, and no prospect of defeat, the Tories can do as they wish. No need to moderate.

As with Osborne, the rhetoric is centrist and of moderation, but in reality not.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

R C Garrick
‏@RC_Garrick R C Garrick Retweeted suerose

Labour members since February will need to pay, in total, over £50 to vote.
#Labour
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

RobertSnozers wrote:I'm getting a bit tired of the Labour party slapping supporters round the chops.
Though that wasn't really "shocking", but widely expected (by somebody) And their chances of success are practically nil.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

danesclose wrote:Seems that our senior Brexit negotiator doesn't realise that EU states can't make their own, independent trade deals with non-EU members:
cJA edit
What in the world is David Davis thinking?
Global trade deals will be bigger outside than in the EU, says David Davis
Brexit minister says UK can negotiate tariff-free access to EU single market and article 50 should not be triggered until end of year

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... avid-davis" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

ephemerid wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:

It is utterly unacceptable that people who can't be bothered to join Labour just turn up and vote for leader. It is similarly utterly unacceptable that Unite were offering cut price deals to subvert NEC rules.

It reduces the whole thing to an arms race, as Militant/Momentum/amusingly the Communist Party of GB and a few Tories try to recruit their mates to vote for Corbyn. Similarly you get the same behaviour from the other side. Momentum are even fund raising to pay peoples membership.

We have people who actively campaign against Labour voting for its leader. This simply has to stop before all faith in the process is lost.

I admire the NEC for actually putting a stop to this blatant corruption of the system.

I think it's utterly unacceptable that 100,000 people who were bothered enough to join Labour as full subscription-paying members are not being allowed a vote because they joined after February - they haven't "just turned up" to vote for the leader.

The only way these full members can vote now is if they pay a further £25 on top of their regular subscriptions. That is wrong.

The fund-raising is for people who are already new full members or already registered supporters - but who have to pay £25.
That fund-raising is not just by Momentum; there are separate groups who are doing this via justgiving etc.
What the unions are doing may not be right - but I can't blame them for wanting to retaliate after what's happened.

Labour has had an estimated £4 Million from people who joined since the GE - and, again, the membership was 200,000 then and is 515,000 now. They've happily accepted the cash, assured people who join that they can vote (among all the other things that being a party member confers), and now they are saying, no, actually, you can't vote.......but they're not returning the cash, are they?

If the NEC does not want these rules, they should not have set them. They are changing the rules for this occasion, and that is wrong.
It is also wrong to ban meetings; I can see no justification for it, and saying that it's because of the threats and intimidation, with certain NEC members publicly blaming one side for it when it applies to both, is preventing members from having any discussion at all.

This is very high-handed behaviour, and it's no wonder that the various groups and factions are doing what they can get around it.
It's unfair to everyone.
I don't believe the NEC encouraged anybody to join. Most of these people did just pile in to try and influence a leadership election (one way or another). There was no statement anywhere that said if you join you get a vote.

It always used to be you had to be a member of the party for a long time before you could vote for any internal elections. This was a specific defence against the infiltration of Militant, who despite what some people will tell you really aren't nice people.
Release the Guardvarks.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

"Everything he said is in the context of opinion though. So he's not lying. His ideas might
be misguided but he's not dealing in facts and any reasonable reader will understand that.
"

https://discussion.theguardian.com/comm ... k/79049299" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In defence of Dave Davis', global trade deal negotiation article, below the line.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

yahyah wrote:At least he comes across better than Eagle. Not that it is very difficult to.
I'm glad someone other than Farron is talking about a second referendum, he might be on to a vote winner with that. So many people feel abandoned to Brexit.
I agree with that. An awful lot of people are looking for a credible opposition to Brexit, and Farron really doesn't provide it. There are a lot of votes to be won by giving the 48% a voice.

I doubt Smith will win, but at least he is saying something about policy.
Release the Guardvarks.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Everyone, please. Tory nutters are at the wheel. This is no time to argue amongst ourselves.
55DegreesNorth
Minister of State

Post by 55DegreesNorth »

I've just been asked to vote for the NEC members, and the only one I recognised was Eddy Izzard. Anyone know anything about the rest?
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

citizenJA wrote:
danesclose wrote:Seems that our senior Brexit negotiator doesn't realise that EU states can't make their own, independent trade deals with non-EU members:
cJA edit
What in the world is David Davis thinking?
Global trade deals will be bigger outside than in the EU, says David Davis
Brexit minister says UK can negotiate tariff-free access to EU single market and article 50 should not be triggered until end of year

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... avid-davis" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It is interesting that May's approach seems to be you broke it, now fix it. Leadsom will be lynched by the farmers and go bleating back to May she needs cash, and the treasury will point out they haven't got any.

Davis isn't stupid though, he should very quickly realise he has no cards to play. What he does then will be fascinating.

If all three leading lights of Brexit realise it is a poison chalice and start back tracking then what? Boris already knows this of course but he now has to put up with lots of official dinners where he is booked as the childrens entertainment. Hope he can make balloon animals on command.
Release the Guardvarks.
JustMom
Committee Member

Post by JustMom »

55DegreesNorth wrote:I've just been asked to vote for the NEC members, and the only one I recognised was Eddy Izzard. Anyone know anything about the rest?

I have an email with 6 of the leftwingers,momentum sent it.
I can send it you if you let me have your email.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

The elite in the Labour party who seem hell-bent on ensuring that Jeremy Corbyn does not win the leadership election are now resorting to desperate measures – by banning members for the use of certain words on social media.

http://linkis.com/www.thecanary.co/201/N4fVk
This is beginning to feel very threatening.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

Re the NEC

http://www.leftfutures.org/2016/05/rhea ... executive/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

JustMom wrote:
55DegreesNorth wrote:I've just been asked to vote for the NEC members, and the only one I recognised was Eddy Izzard. Anyone know anything about the rest?

I have an email with 6 of the leftwingers,momentum sent it.
I can send it you if you let me have your email.
Me too please. There are six photos being shown as left wingers on Twitter but I'd like to be sure.

Only four voted for Corbyn to stay on the ballot I'd love to know who they were.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

ohsocynical wrote:
The elite in the Labour party who seem hell-bent on ensuring that Jeremy Corbyn does not win the leadership election are now resorting to desperate measures – by banning members for the use of certain words on social media.

Surely not....on the left are 'threatening'.......that is what we keep being told
JustMom
Committee Member

Post by JustMom »

ohso If you click on the link above you will see all the info.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

As an aside, I think some - most - of the insanity issuing from high command this week won't last past the full NEC meeting next week.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Temulkar wrote:As an aside, I think some - most - of the insanity issuing from high command this week won't last past the full NEC meeting next week.

Hi Tem

Loving your book...almost finished
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

SpinningHugo wrote:
JonnyT1234 wrote:

Bah humbug.

No, as I recall I said the opposite.

Because there is no opposition, and no prospect of defeat, the Tories can do as they wish. No need to moderate.

As with Osborne, the rhetoric is centrist and of moderation, but in reality not.
Basically what Hugo said.

It isn't that the Tories have seized the middle ground it is more that Corbyn has left the stadium. The Tory party have no credible opposition and can do what the hell they like.

The reshuffle is a perfect example. May should have a tough time, hostile party, crashing economy, small majority, aggressive confident opposition leader harrying her at every opportunity pointing out how badly her party has screwed the ecomomy. With a pissed off awkward squad of ex Cameroons and sacked cabinet ministers causing huge problems.

Instead the labour leadership team is having an argument about whether to impeach Blair (whatever that means), last week the government got legislation through with a majority of 100+ because the Labour shadow didn't understand it.

So May knows she can do anything, no matter how unpopular, dissolve her government at any time and still get a thumping majority, thus making her life much easier. If she isn't already thinking 3 terms of office she is lacking ambition. The size and scope of her reshuffle says she isn't lacking ambition.
Release the Guardvarks.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
ephemerid wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:

It is utterly unacceptable that people who can't be bothered to join Labour just turn up and vote for leader. It is similarly utterly unacceptable that Unite were offering cut price deals to subvert NEC rules.

It reduces the whole thing to an arms race, as Militant/Momentum/amusingly the Communist Party of GB and a few Tories try to recruit their mates to vote for Corbyn. Similarly you get the same behaviour from the other side. Momentum are even fund raising to pay peoples membership.

We have people who actively campaign against Labour voting for its leader. This simply has to stop before all faith in the process is lost.

I admire the NEC for actually putting a stop to this blatant corruption of the system.

I think it's utterly unacceptable that 100,000 people who were bothered enough to join Labour as full subscription-paying members are not being allowed a vote because they joined after February - they haven't "just turned up" to vote for the leader.

The only way these full members can vote now is if they pay a further £25 on top of their regular subscriptions. That is wrong.

The fund-raising is for people who are already new full members or already registered supporters - but who have to pay £25.
That fund-raising is not just by Momentum; there are separate groups who are doing this via justgiving etc.
What the unions are doing may not be right - but I can't blame them for wanting to retaliate after what's happened.

Labour has had an estimated £4 Million from people who joined since the GE - and, again, the membership was 200,000 then and is 515,000 now. They've happily accepted the cash, assured people who join that they can vote (among all the other things that being a party member confers), and now they are saying, no, actually, you can't vote.......but they're not returning the cash, are they?

If the NEC does not want these rules, they should not have set them. They are changing the rules for this occasion, and that is wrong.
It is also wrong to ban meetings; I can see no justification for it, and saying that it's because of the threats and intimidation, with certain NEC members publicly blaming one side for it when it applies to both, is preventing members from having any discussion at all.

This is very high-handed behaviour, and it's no wonder that the various groups and factions are doing what they can get around it.
It's unfair to everyone.
I don't believe the NEC encouraged anybody to join. Most of these people did just pile in to try and influence a leadership election (one way or another). There was no statement anywhere that said if you join you get a vote.

It always used to be you had to be a member of the party for a long time before you could vote for any internal elections. This was a specific defence against the infiltration of Militant, who despite what some people will tell you really aren't nice people.

Quite a few must have been under that impression though, given this
CnMxXU6WIAEIHP0.jpg
CnMxXU6WIAEIHP0.jpg (44.53 KiB) Viewed 5379 times
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

ohsocynical wrote:

Tin foil hat time more likely.
Release the Guardvarks.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

howsillyofme1 wrote:
Temulkar wrote:As an aside, I think some - most - of the insanity issuing from high command this week won't last past the full NEC meeting next week.

Hi Tem

Loving your book...almost finished
:) Amazon reviews are v welcome, had a flurry of sales over the last week so it's actually sold out at the moment + waiting for another print run. Im also behind on my reading - Matt Im about half way through - as well as writing book 3 so havent been on here much.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Has Theresa May appointed ministers (particularly with regard to the EU) who she believes can do the job (out of concern for the UK she professes to hold so dear) or is she trying to cover her own back? I know which of the two options I lean towards.

Edited - typo
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

TobyLatimer wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:
ephemerid wrote:

It's unfair to everyone.

Quite a few must have been under that impression though, given this
CnMxXU6WIAEIHP0.jpg
They will be eligable to vote in leadership elections, eventually. In the meantime an election will be held against a membership that should be more than left wing enough to keep Corbyn in power and the dubious gaming of the system by both wings of the party can stop.
Release the Guardvarks.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PorFavor wrote:Has Theresa May appointed ministers (particularly with regard to the EU) who she believes can do the job (out of concern for the UK she professes to hold so dear) or is she trying to cover her own back? I know which of the two options I lean towards.

Edited - typo
Listening to the radio today I did think she has had a very shallow pool to choose from. The shortage of brains and anyone capable of helping to run the country, must be a problem.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

It is amazing to see how all Labour's problems come down to one man

Tony Blair lying about Iraq
Ed Miliband changing the leadership election rules
Jim Murphy losing Labour's position in Scotland
5 million voters stopping voting Labour between 1997-2015
Tony Blair using PFI, academies, market involvement in the NHS allowing the Tories to continue where he left off
Unions defenestrated
The 'Kitchen cabinet' approach to leading the country
Tony Blair being questioned under caution and his CoS arrested over cash for honours
Harman encouraging the PLP to abstain on welfare bill
Ball's failure to challenge Osborne over austerity or the reasons for the GFC
Ed Miliband beating that slimy 'will he won't he' brother of his
Rendition of prisoners to face torture
Blair kissing Bush's arse at every opportunity (Yo, Blair!)
Blair kissing the arse of Murdoch

There are so many reasons why Labour is in the place it is now.....and the vast majority has its roots in the past.....particularly the post 2003 Blair

The party has no confidence because it has no philosophy.....except to try to gain power by mimicking the Tories........
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

A neutron walks into a bar and orders a drink. He asks how much? 'For you?' says the barman. 'No charge!'
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

On my local Labour Party page they are posting photos of cuddly animals to lighten the mood. Jesus wept!
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Jo Maugham QC ‏@JolyonMaugham 49m49 minutes ago

Pity the poor NEC. Hero (Corbyn on ballot) and Zero (resisting entryism) in a single meeting. Tough, tough gig.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

PorFavor wrote:Has Theresa May appointed ministers (particularly with regard to the EU) who she believes can do the job (out of concern for the UK she professes to hold so dear) or is she trying to cover her own back? I know which of the two options I lean towards.

Edited - typo
Boris, Fox, Davis, and Leadsom are in jobs directly affected by Brexit so it's a case of "You caused this, now deal with it"
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Ewen MacAskill ‏@ewenmacaskill 23h23 hours ago

Unofficial meeting of Labour members from New Brighton branch in Angela Eagle's constituency pass vote of no confidence in her 55-9.