Saturday 16th & Sunday 17th July 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Re: Saturday 16th & Sunday 17th July 2016

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

SpinningHugo wrote:I object to that post being removed. It gives the impression that it was offensive, which on no reasonable reading could it be. It referred to the fact that the deselections would be applied to the Blairites first but wouldn't stop there.

Ephemerid misread it, deliberately or not, and clearly mistook who the "they" were. I try not to respond to his posts as he gets so worked up, and had thought his reading so obviosly daft that it didn't matter anyway.

Now the board gives the impression that I have said some appallingly offensive thing, which is ridiculous.

I don't mind being told to "fuck off" or that I am a "troll" or that I don't make arguments. I am used to that. I am here more to understand what seems inexplicable to me I know there are few minds to change.

I do mind moderators giving the impression that I have said something worthy of moderation when I have not.
With all due respect my comment says I removed it at the request of somebody else. It deliberately didn't pass judgement because that's not my role.

At the top of the board it says
Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints.
We can discuss the issue, but I am most certainly not going to sit here and be criticised for trying to keep this place on an even keel. That is not on. No apologies needed just don't do it again thanks.

Can we leave it there and move on please?
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

AngryAsWell wrote:I'm (to my shame) not well up on Irish history. Is there any significance to this from DH?

(((Dan Hodges))) ‏@DPJHodges 10h10 hours ago
Corbyn supporters are now tweeting pictures of dead IRA men to @ConorMcGinn and telling him he's not welcome in South Armagh.
I'm no help on Irish history but, given the source, shouldn't the first question be 'Is there any truth to this from DH?'
The truth ferret speaks!
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

mbc1955 wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:I'm (to my shame) not well up on Irish history. Is there any significance to this from DH?

Corbyn supporters are now tweeting pictures of dead IRA men to @ConorMcGinn and telling him he's not welcome in South Armagh.
I'm no help on Irish history but, given the source, shouldn't the first question be 'Is there any truth to this from DH?'
I thought that as well, so I went to @ConnorMcGinn page and found this
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Reading the comments under it now.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:I object to that post being removed. It gives the impression that it was offensive, which on no reasonable reading could it be. It referred to the fact that the deselections would be applied to the Blairites first but wouldn't stop there.

Ephemerid misread it, deliberately or not, and clearly mistook who the "they" were. I try not to respond to his posts as he gets so worked up, and had thought his reading so obviosly daft that it didn't matter anyway.

Now the board gives the impression that I have said some appallingly offensive thing, which is ridiculous.

I don't mind being told to "fuck off" or that I am a "troll" or that I don't make arguments. I am used to that. I am here more to understand what seems inexplicable to me I know there are few minds to change.

I do mind moderators giving the impression that I have said something worthy of moderation when I have not.
With all due respect my comment says I removed it at the request of somebody else. It deliberately didn't pass judgement because that's not my role.

Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints.
We can discuss the issue, but I am most certainly not going to sit here and be criticised for trying to keep this place on an even keel. That is not on. No apologies needed just don't do it again thanks.

So if I complain I can get any posts by others I like removed?
Great.
TR'sGhost
Minister of State

Post by TR'sGhost »

AngryAsWell wrote:
mbc1955 wrote:

That's all I've found as well.

I'm guess McGinn doesn't know who the person abusing him is, or he wouldn't be asking them.

An honourable right-wing journalist exaggerating a minor Twitter troll spat to attack a Labour leader? Not ever come across that before. No sign of pictures of corpses etc., but obviously an honourable journalist would never act as a third-rate Tory PR man, so clearly Hodges must be right.

No doubt the Zinoviev letter sending Ramsay MacDonald his instructions from Moscow was true as well. Not a forgery at all.
I'm getting tired of calming down....
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

SpinningHugo wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:

So if I complain I can get any posts by others I like removed?
Great.
Hugo listen very carefully. I'm just an ordinary bod sitting in my living room at home having got the kids to bed. I don't have time for this shit. I asked you to "move on" and you have not responded as requested.

Now we are going to move on and I'm not putting up with any more crap. OK?
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

TR'sGhost wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:
mbc1955 wrote: I'm no help on Irish history but, given the source, shouldn't the first question be 'Is there any truth to this from DH?'

I'm guess McGinn doesn't know who the person abusing him is, or he wouldn't be asking them.

An honourable right-wing journalist exaggerating a minor Twitter troll spat to attack a Labour leader? Not ever come across that before. No sign of pictures of corpses etc., but obviously an honourable journalist would never act as a third-rate Tory PR man, so clearly Hodges must be right.

No doubt the Zinoviev letter sending Ramsay MacDonald his instructions from Moscow was true as well. Not a forgery at all.
I'm not sticking up for Hodges, not even a little bit. I was trying to understand the historical relevance, if any, that's all. I genuinely don't know enough about the troubles period in Ireland - must do some reading.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 41736.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Crowdfunding campaign raises over £27,000 to prosecute 'dishonest Brexit politicians', including Boris Johnson
It claims the Leave campaign was 'built on ignorance and emotion, not evidence'
Yes. Though it should read, ignorance, vile bigotry and emotion.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

The campaign intends to “prosecute vote leave leaders based upon fraud, misconduct in public office, undue influence and, possibly, inciting racial hatred”.
Certainly it is time we started holding politicians to account.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Example: even I was impressed when Corbyn and McDonnell persuaded the best leftwing economists to advise them. I should have known better. “Danny” Blanchflower told me that all he ever heard was “Jeremy is against austerity”. Good, Blanchflower replied, but what policies should we pursue? Answer came there none. Blanchflower resigned. Thomas Piketty never attended a meeting and the whereabouts of Joseph Stiglitz remain a mystery.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... for-labour" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is Nick Cohen making all that up ?

PS is there an ongoing twitter-fight between OS and John Mann ?
Last edited by frog222 on Sun 17 Jul, 2016 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

frog222 wrote:
Example: even I was impressed when Corbyn and McDonnell persuaded the best leftwing economists to advise them. I should have known better. “Danny” Blanchflower told me that all he ever heard was “Jeremy is against austerity”. Good, Blanchflower replied, but what policies should we pursue? Answer came there none. Blanchflower resigned. Thomas Piketty never attended a meeting and the whereabouts of Joseph Stiglitz remain a mystery.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... for-labour" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Funny to find this, as I had just popped back to post this :
Richard Murphy

http://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2016 ... economics/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The comments are worth a read as well
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

frog222 wrote:

Danny Blanchflower's verdict on Corbyn - Source FT.
“Britain is in the deepest political and economic crisis in my lifetime and Corbyn is fighting for his own skin — time to put the country first,” Mr Blanchflower said.

If Mr Corbyn defied the odds and became prime minister, “nobody in their right mind” would serve as governor of the Bank of England, an ambassador, or a member of the Bank’s Monetary Policy Committee, he said.

He added that he could not explain why Mr Corbyn had still not disappeared “into the bushes”.
This site is vanishing into tin foil land, can people not repeat rubbish put out by Corbynista trolls about Smith without fact checking it. Owen Smith is certainly not in favour of privatising the NHS as his voting record shows.
Release the Guardvarks.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

frog222 wrote:

I follow Blanchflower on twitter and no, he's not...

To the PS yes, there is...be interesting to see what happens.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
TR'sGhost
Minister of State

Post by TR'sGhost »

AngryAsWell wrote:
TR'sGhost wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote: I thought that as well, so I went to @ConnorMcGinn page and found this

I'm not sticking up for Hodges, not even a little bit. I was trying to understand the historical relevance, if any, that's all. I genuinely don't know enough about the troubles period in Ireland - must do some reading.
Don't think there's any historical relevance at all.

Getting an accurate perspective on any period in Irish history tends to mean you need to have a grasp of the period before that and so on (and on). As RobertSnozers says, getting a remotely neutral perspective, if there even is such a thing, is many times harder.

It happens that I studied contemporary Irish history as part of my degree 30-odd years ago. It was a final year course and I think the only other place covering that period in any detail at the time was Queen's Belfast. My course concluded with the end of the People's Democracy movement and Bloody Sunday, which was considered alarmingly "political" by some. You just weren't supposed to ask questions about Ireland or even know much about it, but to patriotically nail your Union flag to your forehead, learn Daily Express headlines by rote and think Ireland was all about dim, violent and unreasoning religious nutcases, some on "our" side, some not. An attitude which is no help in understanding the issues and reaching a conclusion about how they might be resolved, of course.

I found it very useful that, by chance, I came to know a few students from Belfast and Armagh, from both sides of the republican/loyalist divide. They could provide a first-hand perspective, and, obviously, were aware of many nuances and perspectives that fleshed out the academic stuff.

For getting an idea of the history, I suggest starting with the time of the United Irishmen and Wolfe Tone, through the Famine, founding of the Orange Order and the Parnell period then the immediate struggle for independence, followed by partition.

Wiki can actually be quite useful for this.

I still have a few now very battered and quite rare books on the post World War II period, but they're long out of print. One, Michael Farrell's 1976 "Northern Ireland: the Orange State" is quite good, readable and available through google books -
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=qdY ... edir_esc=y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Farrell was originally a "Labour Trotskyist", later a key member of People's Democracy. He can be accused of bias, but so can pretty much anyone who attempts a history of contemporary Northern Ireland. No matter what interpretation is placed on events, someone will always find something to strongly disagree about.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

AngryAsWell wrote:
frog222 wrote:

Richard Murphy

http://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2016 ... economics/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks AAW !
Second, Corbynomics disappeared. PQE, which had been the defining economic and industrial symbol of Jeremy’s election campaign – the policy that was going to deliver growth, jobs, new industry and hope – might well have never happened. It’s taken Stephen Crabb and Theresa May to revive it. In its place nothing was offered at all; just vague words at best for months and then reference to a National Investment Bank on occasion but nothing else.

Third, I had the opportunity to see what was happening inside the PLP. The leadership wasn’t confusing as much as just silent. There was no policy direction, no messaging, no direction, no co-ordination, no nothing. Shadow ministers appeared to have been left with no direction as to what to do. It was shambolic. The leadership usually couldn’t even get a press release out on time to meet print media deadlines and then complained they got no coverage.

Fourth, and critically, there was no vision. A team of economic advisers were set up, but never properly consulted, let alone listened to. Three enquiries, into the Treasury, Bank of England and HM Revenue & Customs were established and given far too long to report: none has as yet. I gather the tax report is in draft: I have not seen it. Whether it will be presented is anyone’s guess. The Bank of England study has collapsed with the departure of Danny Blanchflower. Of the Treasury report I haven’t a clue. The point is though that for coming on for a year now policy has been on hold for these reports and the world has moved on. That’s just not competent.

The same problem has been seen around Brexit and so many other issues. If Jeremy and John had known what they were doing these impasses would not have happened. The impression left is that they have created a movement that hates what’s happening in the world and can get really angry about it, but then has not a clue what to do about it.
( I put that in for those not following long links :) )

Some of my good friends are Corbynistas, and I don't regret his election either, but I was distrustful particularly since the early-on rail renationalisation announcement . Christian Wolmar pointed out the practical problems, but my mates weren't interested . PQE seems to have been dropped until resuscitated by St Theresa
TR'sGhost
Minister of State

Post by TR'sGhost »

AngryAsWell wrote:
frog222 wrote:

Richard Murphy

Richard Murphy hasn't spent weeks and months being misrepresented, insulted and kicked from pillar to post by the massed UK media and some very determined enemies on what he thought was his own side, people he might have expected to be defending him not plotting, telling lies and briefing the media to bring him down.

He has the same luxury of being able to say how disappointed he is that those in the front line didn't keep their nerve, stiffen their upper lips, get on with it and carry out the plan to the letter as a World War I general parked in a Chateau miles behind the lines.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

TR'sGhost wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:
TR'sGhost wrote: That's all I've found as well.

Don't think there's any historical relevance at all.

Getting an accurate perspective on any period in Irish history tends to mean you need to have a grasp of the period before that and so on (and on). As RobertSnozers says, getting a remotely neutral perspective, if there even is such a thing, is many times harder.

It happens that I studied contemporary Irish history as part of my degree 30-odd years ago. It was a final year course and I think the only other place covering that period in any detail at the time was Queen's Belfast. My course concluded with the end of the People's Democracy movement and Bloody Sunday, which was considered alarmingly "political" by some. You just weren't supposed to ask questions about Ireland or even know much about it, but to patriotically nail your Union flag to your forehead, learn Daily Express headlines by rote and think Ireland was all about dim, violent and unreasoning religious nutcases, some on "our" side, some not. An attitude which is no help in understanding the issues and reaching a conclusion about how they might be resolved, of course.

I found it very useful that, by chance, I came to know a few students from Belfast and Armagh, from both sides of the republican/loyalist divide. They could provide a first-hand perspective, and, obviously, were aware of many nuances and perspectives that fleshed out the academic stuff.

For getting an idea of the history, I suggest starting with the time of the United Irishmen and Wolfe Tone, through the Famine, founding of the Orange Order and the Parnell period then the immediate struggle for independence, followed by partition.

Wiki can actually be quite useful for this.

I still have a few now very battered and quite rare books on the post World War II period, but they're long out of print. One, Michael Farrell's 1976 "Northern Ireland: the Orange State" is quite good, readable and available through google books -
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=qdY ... edir_esc=y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Farrell was originally a "Labour Trotskyist", later a key member of People's Democracy. He can be accused of bias, but so can pretty much anyone who attempts a history of contemporary Northern Ireland. No matter what interpretation is placed on events, someone will always find something to strongly disagree about.
Thank you for that. I'm genuinely interested, but fear I won't live long enough to understand the complexity of Irish/English history.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I spent the day in a place called Kippax with some friends who live there. It sounds like a shit seventies robot but is actually a village in West Yorkshire.

Anyway last time I was there we went to a pub called the White Swan and I talked to a Kipper (there are lots of Kippers in Kippax) called Mary. I asked her why she supported Ukip and she told me it was because Political Correctness had 'gone mad' and nobody was allowed to say what they thought anymore. She explained at considerable length that the way she'd been brought up sticks and stones broke no bones and we po-faced lefties just needed some kind of slap from the 'real world' where people abused one another constantly to no ill because it was all just japes and in the end everyone got along.

So a couple of months later I just met Mary in the White Swan again. She's a rather heavy lady, something she apparently shares with her daughter who is being bullied for being fat. Mary is furious about this. Despite it happening outside school and on Facebook she claims it's the teachers fault. I tried reminding her of what she'd said last time we spoke about sticks and stones and everyone eventually getting along but she wasn't having it.

I feel sorry for her poor daughter.

And the rest of us having to put up with the thick fuckers like this deciding our fate.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

The saddest thing I saw in the aftermath of the referendum vote was a bloke in - not sure, a Northern town/city, possibly Burnley, being asked why he'd voted to leave, and why leave winning was a good thing. "Well, now our factories will reopen and we'll get our hospital back."

I know that it's somewhat impolitic to think "You fucking idiot" but I have to say that this was my first thought. I think the reason why the government has to get on with leaving, why talk about second referenda and general elections and so on are so problematic, is that an awful lot of people who voted to leave need to see what they've voted for. Because if they don't then when we do come around to another general election, UKIP are going to be running on, firstly, 'You told them, they ignored you, the only answer is to vote for us to tell them again'. and secondly, on an even more openly outrageous campaign on immigration.

The tin foil hat phrase was mentioned about something else somewhere above, and I (honestly) try not to spout extremes for the sake of it (it's just necessary, the way the world is), but we are one policy step away from mass deportation of "immigrants"*, and if you look at Europe's recent history, I think that means we're two policy steps away from rounding people up into camps.

Step one of that is what UKIP will be running on next time if we ignore the leave vote. At least.

Also, small bugbear, but can I just say how much I really really hate the words 'brexit' and 'bremain' - do we have to be such children?

* Edited to add - I suspect by this we're not talking about Australians and New Zealanders who have overstayed student visas and form a huge proportion of the UK's illegal immigrant population. But you never know.
I still believe in a town called Hope
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

adam wrote:The saddest thing I saw in the aftermath of the referendum vote was a bloke in - not sure, a Northern town/city, possibly Burnley, being asked why he'd voted to leave, and why leave winning was a good thing. "Well, now our factories will reopen and we'll get our hospital back."

I know that it's somewhat impolitic to think "You fucking idiot" but I have to say that this was my first thought. I think the reason why the government has to get on with leaving, why talk about second referenda and general elections and so on are so problematic, is that an awful lot of people who voted to leave need to see what they've voted for. Because if they don't then when we do come around to another general election, UKIP are going to be running on, firstly, 'You told them, they ignored you, the only answer is to vote for us to tell them again'. and secondly, on an even more openly outrageous campaign on immigration.

The tin foil hat phrase was mentioned about something else somewhere above, and I (honestly) try not to spout extremes for the sake of it (it's just necessary, the way the world is), but we are one policy step away from mass deportation of "immigrants"*, and if you look at Europe's recent history, I think that means we're two policy steps away from rounding people up into camps.

Step one of that is what UKIP will be running on next time if we ignore the leave vote. At least.

Also, small bugbear, but can I just say how much I really really hate the words 'brexit' and 'bremain' - do we have to be such children?

* Edited to add - I suspect by this we're not talking about Australians and New Zealanders who have overstayed student visas and form a huge proportion of the UK's illegal immigrant population. But you never know.
I also hate those two words.

I don't think I've ever used either of them except in quotes.

Edited to add -

I don't think I've ever used them, now I think about it - unless they've appeared in something that I've directly quoted.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

There's nothing impolitic about thinking 'You fucking idiots'.

I spent the nineties in the North east and have watched it being lifted from the gutter Thatcher had left it in to becoming somewhere you might move to if you were a bit skint and thought you could make a big splash in a small arts pool.

The EU did that, with all their pesky redevelopement grants.

Turning the old Baltic flour mill into a home for Kittywakes.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

adam wrote:The saddest thing I saw in the aftermath of the referendum vote was a bloke in - not sure, a Northern town/city, possibly Burnley, being asked why he'd voted to leave, and why leave winning was a good thing. "Well, now our factories will reopen and we'll get our hospital back."

I know that it's somewhat impolitic to think "You fucking idiot" but I have to say that this was my first thought. I think the reason why the government has to get on with leaving, why talk about second referenda and general elections and so on are so problematic, is that an awful lot of people who voted to leave need to see what they've voted for
If we go ahead with leaving the EU I think it will be very bad for this country in many ways.
I also think that those who voted leave will say it's awful because the government hasn't done it right. Farage or A N Other would have done this, that or the other and everything would have been wonderful. Given the complexities of it there'd be endless scope for complaint.

Rather like the Labour party, I see no good way forward.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Second, Corbynomics disappeared. PQE, which had been the defining economic and industrial symbol of Jeremy’s election campaign – the policy that was going to deliver growth, jobs, new industry and hope – might well have never happened. It’s taken Stephen Crabb and Theresa May to revive it.
I'll believe it when I see it, from May.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
extankie
Backbencher

Post by extankie »

RobertSnozers wrote:
frog222 wrote:
JonnyT1234 wrote:Operation Inept just became Operation Even More Inept.
Jesus wept .

Angela is a little bit thick , but that Smith is worse, a really ambitious and extremely slimy sod .

I believe he was once even to the right of Blair, but has been covering his tracks ever since ...
“Angela needs to be very careful,” said the source. “It is not a question of who deserves to be leader; it is about the best possible candidate to beat Jeremy.”

:smack: :wall:
And there it is. Nothing to do with ability to be elected, or wearing a suit, or remain votes etc.. they just will not accept Corbyn AT ANY COST. If he gets re-elected, how long before an "accident" befalls him?. Disgusting.