Saturday 16th & Sunday 17th July 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Saturday 16th & Sunday 17th July 2016

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 16th & Sunday 17th July 2016

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/ ... now-so-far" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Turkey's attempted coup: what we know so far

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/ ... ire-ankara" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Turkey coup attempt: Erdoğan calls military uprising treason – live updates
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

(((AndyCavster))) ‏@AndyCavster 11h11 hours ago

Possible coup in Turkey, it's a time for cool heads & we need our top guy in the FCO on this ...
Cnb3BMyW8AIu8KV.jpg
Cnb3BMyW8AIu8KV.jpg (80.75 KiB) Viewed 10712 times
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

@ohso. Sent you a PM last night re my response to someone else's mail. Don't think it got through. Apologies if my mail offended you
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

noel jon pleb ‏@nja5 9h9 hours ago

Mother Theresa has made her first miracle in Downing St, she's brought Arthur Askey back from the dead.
CncHZEiWYAEL2EH.jpg
CncHZEiWYAEL2EH.jpg (88 KiB) Viewed 10704 times
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

danesclose wrote:@ohso. Sent you a PM last night re my response to someone else's mail. Don't think it got through. Apologies if my mail offended you

It just said Deleted, so not to worry .... :D
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"Oh, what a wonderful thing to be,
A healthy grown up busy busy bee;
Whiling away all the passing hours
Pinching all the pollen from the cauliflowers."
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"Hello playmates"
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Gina Loxam
49 mins ·
JustGiving

·
This is becoming beyond a joke. "Late this afternoon I was issued with a formal warning by the Labour Party NEC, as some here had indicated might happen. They claim that I am in violation of Labour Party rules because I, and the people who have kindly donated, are buying memberships for those unwilling to do so themselves. They have requested that I shut down the page, and return all monies to the original donors by 12 noon on Monday, 18 July. Please read the rest of my update on this here:

https://www.docdroid.net/50Tb1tE/update-150716.pdf.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"I thank you"
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

HindleA wrote:"Hello playmates"
I'm just a humble, busy, busy bee :D
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

HindleA wrote:"Oh, what a wonderful thing to be,
Hah. You have a better memory than me.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Had to check it,to be honest.Way before my time,he lies.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://labourlist.org/2016/07/left-slat ... minations/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"A late surge in nominations for the Momentum-backed slate has put left wingers in a strong position for NEC positions as Labour members begin voting."

Final CLP nominations

http://labourlist.org/2016/07/labours-n ... minations/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

How to solve a problem like the Labour Party?

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

Blogger Peter Reynolds has reproduced a Daily Telegraph article by Jonathan Foreman - which was pulled after pressure from Theresa May’s leadership campaign. May's tenure as Home Secretary was a series of failures and disasters, and he doesn't even mention her scapegoating of Brodie Clark. Contrast this when Howard blamed Derek Lewis for one of his many balls-up - Ann Widdecombe made her memorable remark about his 'having something of the night about him'.

Theresa May Is A Great Self-Promoter, But A Terrible Home Secretary

In the run-up to the 2015 election, one of the handicaps David Cameron had to finesse was the fact that net migration to the UK was three times as high as he had promised it would be. Remarkably, none of the opprobrium this failure provoked brought forth the name of Theresa May, the cabinet minister actually entrusted with bringing migration down. Then, as now, it was as if the icy Home Secretary had a dark magic that warded off all critical scrutiny.

The fact that her lead role in this fiasco went unnoticed and unmentioned likely reflects Mrs May’s brilliant, all-consuming efforts to burnish her image with a view to become prime minister.

After all, Mrs May’s tenure as Home Secretary has been little better than disastrous – a succession of derelictions that has left Britain’s borders and coastline at least as insecure as they were in 2010, and which mean that British governments still rely on guesswork to estimate how many people enter and leave the country.

People find this hard to credit because she exudes determination and strength. Compared to many of her bland, flabby cabinet colleagues, she has real gravitas. And few who follow British politics would deny that she is a deadly political infighter. Indeed Theresa May is to Westminster what Cersei Lannister is to Westeros in Game of Thrones: no one who challenges her survives undamaged, while the welfare of the realm is of secondary concern.

Take the demoralised, underfunded UK Border Force. As the public discovered after a people-smugglers’ vessel ran aground in May, it has has only three cutters protecting 7,700 miles of coastline. Italy by contrast has 600 boats patrolling its 4722 miles.

Considering the impression Mrs May gives of being serious about security, it’s all the more astonishing that she has also allowed the UK’s small airfields to go unpatrolled – despite the vastly increased terrorist threat of the last few years, the onset of the migration crisis, and the emergence of smuggling networks that traffic people, drugs and arms.

Then there is the failure to establish exit checks at all the country’s airports and ports. These were supposed to be in place by March 2015.

Unfortunately the Border Force isn’t the only organisation under Mrs May’s control that is manifestly unfit for purpose. Recent years have seen a cavalcade of Home Office decisions about visas and deportations that suggest a department with a bizarre sense of the national interest.

The most infamous was the refusal of visas to Afghan interpreters who served with the British forces in Afghanistan – as Lord Guthrie said, a national shame.

Mrs May has kept so quiet about this and other scandals – such as the collapse of the eBorders IT system, at cost of almost a billion pounds – that you might imagine someone else was in charge the Home Office.

[It’s not just a matter of the odd error. Yvette Cooper pointed out in 2013 that despite Coalition rhetoric, the number of people refused entry to the UK had dropped by 50 per cent, the backlog of finding failed asylum seekers had gone up and the number of illegal immigrants deported had gone down.]
https://peterreynolds.wordpress.com/201 ... to-censor/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

#savethebees
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

HindleA wrote:"Oh, what a wonderful thing to be,

Half a bee, philosophically,
Must, ipso facto, half not be.
But half the bee has got to be
Vis a vis, its entity. D'you see ?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

To bee or not to bee
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

HindleA wrote:#savethebees
With that fantasist and free market obsessive Leadsom in charge of Environment, I fear for their safety. The EU had banned bee killing pesticides (neo nics).
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Toby or not Toby
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

HindleA wrote:Toby or not Toby
Ha ! See what you did there HA
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

Leadsom would have been terrible in whatever role she'd had, but Environment is probably the one where she could do lasting damage.

She should have been banished to the back benches, but May evidently wanted to show largess over the motherhood furore. I don't even believe that that was the real reason Leadsom had to drop out. The fact that most of her CV was a work of fantasy seems more pertinent (plus the fact of her relative inexperience in government).
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Morning, what has happened to summer ? Another cold, dank, grey day.

A man has been jailed for sending Leanne Wood a nasty message hoping she is gang raped by immigrants.
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales ... e-11620067" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

ohsocynical wrote:Gina Loxam
49 mins ·
JustGiving

·
This is becoming beyond a joke. "Late this afternoon I was issued with a formal warning by the Labour Party NEC, as some here had indicated might happen. They claim that I am in violation of Labour Party rules because I, and the people who have kindly donated, are buying memberships for those unwilling to do so themselves. They have requested that I shut down the page, and return all monies to the original donors by 12 noon on Monday, 18 July. Please read the rest of my update on this here:

https://www.docdroid.net/50Tb1tE/update-150716.pdf.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Paying other people's subs has always been against the rules I think - to prevent what is known as "stacking".
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-morning, everyone.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

The coup in Turkey appears to have failed - over 60 dead so far. Some suggestions it was at least in part a "self coup" by Erdogan.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

HindleA wrote:Had to check it,to be honest.Way before my time,he lies.
I remember one time when he was being interviewed on TV.
He was asked about his Panto performances as a Dame.
He said he never felt Christmas had begun until he stood on stage and took his first deep breath of oranges and wee-wee.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

yahyah wrote:Morning, what has happened to summer ? Another cold, dank, grey day.

A man has been jailed for sending Leanne Wood a nasty message hoping she is gang raped by immigrants.
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales ... e-11620067" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We have hesitant sunshine.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Probably a bit nervous,hardly surprising.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

HindleA wrote:http://labourlist.org/2016/07/left-slat ... minations/

"A late surge in nominations for the Momentum-backed slate has put left wingers in a strong position for NEC positions as Labour members begin voting."

Final CLP nominations

http://labourlist.org/2016/07/labours-n ... minations/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I haven't had my form yet....
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

We have "#### that for a lark" sunshine.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

HindleA wrote:Probably a bit nervous,hardly surprising.
It's all those white, pasty limbs that flaunt themselves as the temperature creeps towards seventy.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

I don't know, a failed chicken coup, a failed turkey coup; the quality of plotters and plotting in the 21st Century has gone downhill.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:The coup in Turkey appears to have failed - over 60 dead so far. Some suggestions it was at least in part a "self coup" by Erdogan.
Certainly looks like it (the "self coup" bit). He needed a boost and an excuse to continue the way he was going. I wonder who the front person was (ie the one who rallied the troops - who now look like lambs to the slaughter).
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

ohsocynical wrote:
HindleA wrote:http://labourlist.org/2016/07/left-slat ... minations/

Final CLP nominations

I haven't had my form yet....
I haven't, as well. I didn't get an e-mail notification asking if I wanted to renew my membership either, but the money was taken from my card anyway and I got my renewal pack in the post so I'm still signed up. I get regular e-mail from my local party, Labour South West and a quarterly newsletter from the SW Labour MEP, but communication from the CLP and central party has become quite random and scattergun. There's the odd e-mail direct from Jeremy Corbyn but nothing from the party. I'm wondering if I've been deleted from some central list and that's why I haven't had anything about the NEC elections. I'm sure I got an e-mail last year on the first day of voting.

Edited to add that I should have checked my e-mail before commenting, the NEC election e-mail turned up last night. So I guess the paper ballots won't turn up in the post until next week now. They seem to be a little bit behind this year.
Last edited by Willow904 on Sat 16 Jul, 2016 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.fabians.org.uk/one-year-on-f ... -to-do-it/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One year on from Corbyn’s tuition fees pledge… here’s how to do it
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://inclusioncentre.co.uk/wordpress29/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A new Renters and Leaseholders Protection Agency (RLPA)

The Financial Inclusion Centre publishes a pamphlet calling for the creation of a Renters and Leaseholders Protection Agency (RLPA) to protect renters and leaseholders from unfair, abusive practices and to help raise the quality of homes in the rented sector in the UK.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.jrf.org.uk/life-low-income-uk-today" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Life on a low income in the UK today
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-36806300" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pregnant mental health patient 'pinned to floor'
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

With no offence intended to other FTNers:
There was another powerful woman getting an ovation in Westminster this week. Ruth Davidson wowed a Brexit-weary parliamentary press pack who haven’t seen the likes of this kick-boxing, bull-riding, former Territorial before. Her barrack-room gags not only had the canteen where she held court over a parliamentary lobby lunch echoing with laughter, but hours later along the press lobby corridor you could hear bursts of giggles as reporters tapped out their notes and recordings.

Her best gag was also an accurate piece of analysis, with Davidson joking that while Labour is “still fumbling with its flies while the Tories are enjoying a post-coital cigarette – after withdrawing our massive Johnson”.
http://www.scotsman.com/news/opinion/pa ... -1-4178785
I could warm to her ...if she wasn't a Tory :)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
6m ago 11:28
Anti-government group take over frigate, according to Greek military

Reuters is reporting that an anti-Government group has taken over a frigate and taken the head of the Turkish fleet hostage at Turkey’s Golcuk naval base. (Guardian)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I thought Boris Johnson was due to make a statement on the Turkey situation. Emily Thornberrry has done so (see Guardian - other news outlets are available).
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Looking at a map to see where Torquay is.

Not my joke.
thatchersorphan
Committee Chair

Post by thatchersorphan »

PorFavor wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:The coup in Turkey appears to have failed - over 60 dead so far. Some suggestions it was at least in part a "self coup" by Erdogan.
Certainly looks like it (the "self coup" bit). He needed a boost and an excuse to continue the way he was going. I wonder who the front person was (ie the one who rallied the troops - who now look like lambs to the slaughter).

Can't remember the name but coup leader was someone he'd recently sacked according to tweets last night. It was possible he was going to purge the army further - now its a certainty. Plus he's blaming Gulen, though I'm seeing people saying it wasn't Gulen supporters - who will also now be cracked down on. https://twitter.com/iyad_elbaghdadi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is quite a good source
Erdogan and Turkish police already have a poor record on human rights, this is likely to deteriorate further.

There's an anti-austerity/anti-racism protest starting in 20 mins -If there are livestreams links should go up on #olsx and @OccupyNN
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

David Allen Green ‏@DavidAllenGreen 16h16 hours ago
Leave Tories want Brexit, but the Union means even more. Like Aslan's deeper magic trumping deep magic.
Significant move by May.

Like the analogy...

Wonder if she told Sturgeon to play up the threat of Scotland leaving the Union to get Brexiters back onside?

Very Ma(y)chiavellian...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Oh, Dominic Raab has got the sack.

A mate of mine lives in his constituency will be overjoyed...and what's more as DAG just pointed out he was in charge of delivering the British Bill of Rights. Looks like that idea might be dead too.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

:D
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Image

:D
I hate to blow my own trumpet - but I got there with that pun before David Allen Green, other day - remember David Cameron's Leicester by-pass?
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

Owen Smith claims he helped get rid of IDS. Not how I remember it, I thought he flounced off under the pretence of not wanting to implement Osborne's cruel cuts any longer so that he could be on the front line of the Brexiteers

And didn't the Lords have more influence in the Tax credit cuts
ScreenShot01490.jpg
ScreenShot01490.jpg (84.05 KiB) Viewed 10216 times