Thursday 21st July 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Re: Thursday 21st July 2016

Post by mbc1955 »

Mark Thatcher never was a member of the British Government nor, if my memory serves me correctly, an official trade representative. As such, the actions of a private individual have no business being treated as a State secret. Unless, that is, he had a close relative who... nah, that can't be true.

And if it isn't, this decision has guaranteed that for the next thirty-seven years, everyone will believe his Ma was in on all kinds of shady business. Wish I was clever like the people who take these decisions.
The truth ferret speaks!
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

13726828_1001886159932565_6133971522950658146_n.jpg
13726828_1001886159932565_6133971522950658146_n.jpg (26.71 KiB) Viewed 8389 times
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Éoin ‏@LabourEoin 5m5 minutes ago

#Breaking: All existing Labour MPs are to go through a mandatory reselection process after 2018 Boundary Review. Grassroots members decide.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

DEMANDS for emergency intervention to rescue commuters from a failing rail system reached a new peak yesterday following unprecedented scenes at Brighton Station.

On Tuesday temperatures were even higher in overcrowded trains than outside on the hottest day of the year, and signal failures compounded misery which included the temporary closure of the station, where commuters reported feeling terrified by the noise and pressure of the crowd.

With the economy of the city and county now under threat by the calamitous rail service, the new Rail Minister Paul Maynard refused to speak to The Argus, as did Transport Secretary Chris Grayling.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/14633037 ... ref=twtrec" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:AE's logo and her other launch materials were just so damn naff, sorry.

Looked about two decades out of date, too. For both those reasons (and others) many have suspected the hand of Mandy behind the scenes.
I've been testing the water at the G on how far I can push my jokes without being accused of misogyny, Anatoly. During comment on the leadership campaign I added this to one of my posts...
As an aside I have a Downs Syndrome daughter and spent many years encouraging her that there were other equally satisfactory choices than pink as did my wife. Then along comes Angela. For the avoidance of doubt, just in case Angela reads this, my wife was a woman.
Postscript: As you all know I am indeed sexist and am far harsher toward blokes as my many comments about Dave will attest.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

ohsocynical wrote:Fury as files on Mark Thatcher's 'corrupt' dealing in the Middle East kept secret until 2053

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/fu ... pt-8460468" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I want my country back where Queen's and Prime Minster's sons can do what the hell they like.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Cllr James Denselow ‏@cllrjdenselow 2h2 hours ago

183,541 people joined Labour as registered supporters in just two days - nearly outnumbering the entire Tory & Lib Dem membership combined.
Over £4 million pounds !
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

ohsocynical wrote:Éoin ‏@LabourEoin 5m5 minutes ago

#Breaking: All existing Labour MPs are to go through a mandatory reselection process after 2018 Boundary Review. Grassroots members decide.
The NEC and PLP will probably have banned grassroot members by then.
On the grounds of excessive eye rolling or sthg.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

ohsocynical wrote:
Cllr James Denselow ‏@cllrjdenselow 2h2 hours ago

183,541 people joined Labour as registered supporters in just two days - nearly outnumbering the entire Tory & Lib Dem membership combined.
Over £4 million pounds !
£4,588,525.00 to be exact.
Love him or hate him,Jeremy Corbyn is a moneyspinner for Labour.
And they want to get rid of him!
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Is that a bit misleading or hasn't this news been broken yet? I'm just reading the reporting of Corbyn's speech at the PLB and there's no mention of reselections other than in the context of the MPs affected by the boundary changes, not all MPs.
Donald Trump: Making America Hate Again
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Oh dear, DfE in arse/elbow confusion mixup...

If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

JonnyT1234 wrote:

Is that a bit misleading or hasn't this news been broken yet? I'm just reading the reporting of Corbyn's speech at the PLB and there's no mention of reselections other than in the context of the MPs affected by the boundary changes, not all MPs.
I've been waiting for the details...Haven't seen anything yet, but I'm sorting out more stuff for the tip, and haven't had a chance to check elsewhere.
I saw one post that implied Corbyn had said it in his speech, but I was hesitant about posting anything that included his name.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

A CAMBERLEY man who has been housebound for more than two years with crippling medical problems has been told by the Government he is fit to work.
Kelvin Crane, 50, was shocked to receive the news from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) when he was called in for a routine assessment of his Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) benefit on October 25 at Camberley Job Centre.
He was told, despite four heart attacks, two strokes and the loss of his right leg, that he was considered to have ‘limited capability for work’ after an assessment of his circumstances on September 12, which could potentially require him to seek employment.
Opting to fight the decision, Mr Crane lost his appeal on January 12 and has now chosen to take his case to an independent tribunal this year.

http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/local-n ... ld-4720770
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ohsocynical wrote:
JonnyT1234 wrote:

I've been waiting for the details...Haven't seen anything yet, but I'm sorting out more stuff for the tip, and haven't had a chance to check elsewhere.
I saw one post that implied Corbyn had said it in his speech, but I was hesitant about posting anything that included his name.
The top tweet did say members decide.

I found this.

‏@paulwaugh
Apart from Corbyn highlighting Smith lobbying for Pzfizer, most striking part of Q&A was him refusing to rule out mandatory MP reselection
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Eoin Clarke does have a tendency to get over-excitable (shall we say) and this looks like it may have been another of those occasions.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Were his socks too short ?

Edited to add: one for Only Connect fans.
Last edited by yahyah on Thu 21 Jul, 2016 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

George Eaton in shock Corbyn isn't completely hopeless Tweet

George Eaton ‏@georgeeaton 22m22 minutes ago
Corbyn's confident performance shows he believes he'll win again http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk ... -win-again" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Eaton also shocked me by using an adjective I'd never come across, Damoclean. As in sword.

Why do we always say sword of Damocles rather than Damoclean sword?
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Maybe Tubby could chip in on that if he's reading.
He's a Classics man. Miss his input here.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

From Telegraph Political Correspondent
ScreenShot01497.jpg
ScreenShot01497.jpg (76.31 KiB) Viewed 8214 times
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Damoclean may be a better usage. Sword of Damocles implies ownership of the weapon.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

On Smiths offer to make Jeremy President
ScreenShot01499.jpg
ScreenShot01499.jpg (34.56 KiB) Viewed 8197 times
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

I've seen the Damoclean Sword usage several times in various contexts. It's a perfectly acceptable version of the term, but I've always preferred the original, for the ring of it and it's directness. Damoclean Sword, to me, is an offhand usage, meant as an allusion rather than a metaphor.
The truth ferret speaks!
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -an-update" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SSAC Occasional Paper 17: Telephony in DWP and HMRC: an update

"if you benefit payment is stopped and you don't have enough money to live on the claimant is asked to ring an 0345 number which can cost a claimant up to 45p a minute."

It took me 20 minutes of circulatory madness just to check they had received something.
Last edited by HindleA on Thu 21 Jul, 2016 1:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

A steel firm in Port Talbot has gone into liquidation, 250 jobs lost.
Welsh press say Welsh government refused £250,000 to restructure as a smaller concern.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/b ... l-11645005" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

RobertSnozers wrote:
yahyah wrote:Maybe Tubby could chip in on that if he's reading.
He's a Classics man. Miss his input here.
Tem would know, FWIW
I blame Cicero.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Some more positive news, Welsh NHS A&E waiting times have improved.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/healt ... t-11506285" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/deci ... new-report" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Decision making and mandatory reconsideration: new report

SSAC
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

The last time a bespectacled chap tried to tell me how things are I asked him to take them off and tell me to my face.

Postscript: If you're a Corbynista do not thank me for this post lest you be accused of threats of violence.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Interesting to note that the Director of Strategy with the DfE whose youthfulness when appointed caused a bit of a stir seems to have left the building...

Government cutbacks or DfE cockups?
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Eoin Clarke does have a tendency to get over-excitable (shall we say) and this looks like it may have been another of those occasions.

Indeed he does, you're being far too polite AK.
TR'sGhost
Minister of State

Post by TR'sGhost »

yahyah wrote:Sorry to mention the leadership on the new thread, but wanted to apologise to TR.
No apology necessary.
I'm getting tired of calming down....
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

BREAKING# EOIN :Attack imminent on all Corbyn supporters is mass extermination exercise arm yourself comrades

Equal level both sides to be fair.

Exterminate exterminate exterminate.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

TR'sGhost wrote:
yahyah wrote:Sorry to mention the leadership on the new thread, but wanted to apologise to TR.
No apology necessary.

Thank you. :D I'm quite lovable in real life. Or so I'm told.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

HindleA wrote:https://www.gov.uk/government/news/deci ... new-report

Decision making and mandatory reconsideration: new report

SSAC

Thank you, A.

Throughout 2015/16, in all four quarters, the rate of overturned ESA decisions by the Tribunals Service was 58%.
For PIP, the average was 60.25%.

In other words, for claimants who get a decision, have a Mandatory Consideration on challenge, and then pursue an appeal to the First Tier Tribunal, more than half of them win - DWP Decision Makers are wrong more in more than half of such cases.

It's a long read; but what comes out of it for me is that the Decision Makers aren't much good (whether it's DWP or HMRC), but it is easy for them to blame someone else because of the way the processes work.
Throughout the text, there are references to delays in sending forms, sending information, answering queries, responding to requests whether by phone or letter; issues with clarifying what options are available, the poor quality of reports, a lack of clarity in explanations to claimants; and problems with the short time limits for submitting MRs or appeals due to all the above.

It's a real mess, this.

I still haven't heard anything from DWP/Maximus having sent my ESA50 off a month ago. I've no idea what's going on.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

RobertSnozers wrote:
utopiandreams wrote:The last time a bespectacled chap tried to tell me how things are I asked him to take them off and tell me to my face.

Postscript: If you're a Corbynista do not thank me for this post lest you be accused of threats of violence.
:roll:

Oh no! There's my renewal out the window

I deleted an email earlier, did you get it, from Ian McNichol.
He gave the cut off date for late renewals, presumably to be eligible to vote. Can't remember what it was.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

yahyah careful,it looks like your baring your teeth there.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

HindleA wrote:BREAKING# EOIN :Attack imminent on all Corbyn supporters is mass extermination exercise arm yourself comrades

Equal level both sides to be fair.

Exterminate exterminate exterminate.
Corbyn holds out 'hand of friendship' to opponents, urging them to get behind the party - live
".., or in a pathetic attempt to defy my unfeasibly large (& growing) mandate, stand in the path of the true forces of progress and prepare to die, crushed by my stormtroopers momentum."

It had been a long day & Jeremy had forgotten to bring his granola bars.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

RobertSnozers wrote:
yahyah wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote: :roll:

Oh no! There's my renewal out the window

I deleted an email earlier, did you get it, from Ian McNichol.
He gave the cut off date for late renewals, presumably to be eligible to vote. Can't remember what it was.
No, when I managed to renew (twice, you're welcome Labour :roll: ) I just had a 'thankyou for your renewal, now give us some more money and volunteer to help us even though we don't actually give a toss what you think' email.

If I missed the date for late renewals because of the membership team being too crap to deal with the volume, I shall be rather annoyed.

For members whose subscription is in arrears, the deadline for renewal is noon on 8 August. If your membership is in arrears, you can renew here.
http://www.labour.org.uk/page/m/6e8ad97 ... 2036/VEsH/
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Cn4ntLcWAAA444X.jpg
Cn4ntLcWAAA444X.jpg (63.05 KiB) Viewed 8424 times
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Eph at least in the days when you could do things via a local office you could check things more easilly,we did anyway.Then it went a more scenic route via different countries,I think Belfast was the last,I used to laugh at the doing things in person option.We never had a PCA nor a WCA it was just a matter of sending proof of savings mainly.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Emergency Fundraising Appeal!

The secretary of state is threatening us with £150,000 cost protection order.

Dear Valued Donor,

We were devastated to hear yesterday morning, just 24 hours before our hearing today, that the Secretary of State has demanded Justice For Health raise £150,000 to cover his costs, in order to proceed with our case.

This is a staggering amount of money and we feel it is a underhand tactic to silence junior doctors and prevent us from raising our legitimate concerns in holding Mr Hunt to account. We cannot proceed with our case without raising additional funds.

It will now be up to our supporters to decide whether we can proceed, as we once again rely on you for fundraising.

Urgent help needed: new fundraising page now open!

https://www.crowdjustice.co.uk/case/nhs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We now urgently need to raise £170,000 in total to allow us to proceed with our case, making this is an all-or-nothing target.

Without your support we cannot continue to seek justice for the NHS.
Last edited by ohsocynical on Thu 21 Jul, 2016 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

If Smith is such a menace, why did Ed M judge him fit to appoint to the Shadow Health team ?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Exterminate exterminate,exterminate.
Apologies I think I have been taken over by a Dalek.The alien invasion as predicted here is underway.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

yahyah wrote:If Smith is such a menace, why did Ed M judge him fit to appoint to the Shadow Health team ?
Maybe the person who can answer that is Ed?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Plant pots on manoeuvres
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Cn0CBpsWEAENifO.jpg
Cn0CBpsWEAENifO.jpg (101.21 KiB) Viewed 8373 times
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://hansard.parliament.uk/Commons/2 ... 2028000077" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Supported Housing (Destruction of)Debate.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Ed Miliband on Owen Smith -
“I have known Owen Smith since he entered Parliament in 2010,” Miliband wrote on Facebook. “I have huge admiration for him. His values, his loyalty, his vision, his Socialist roots. In a few short days since he announced his candidacy he has already produced exciting ideas like a £200 billion British New Deal. If he can do this in a few days, think what he can do as Leader.

“I believe Owen can build a Labour Party and a country of which we can be proud."(LabourList)

http://labourlist.org/2016/07/ed-miliba ... p-contest/

Edited to add -

The above is a response to Rebecca's post, above.
Last edited by PorFavor on Thu 21 Jul, 2016 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Have I Got News For You

Owen Smith says Labour needs to be great at solutions not just slogans as he unveils new "Solutions not Slogans" slogan.