Thursday 21st July 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday 21st July 2016

Post by PorFavor »

yahyah wrote:and for the avoidance of doubt, no I am not referring to anyone on FTN.
But if anyone is in the mood to take offence, please use me as a punchbag if it helps.

Aside from the bad taste elements contained therein, it was a really crap poem.

But I'll punch you on the nose anyway, if that's alright. 'Cos I'm like that . . .

Ready?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

JonnyT1234 wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:(getting coat emoticon)
It's completely meaningless while sounding tremendously meaningful. You've invented the purest green of Blairhetoric.
a possible career move maybe?
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Thanks for asking Rebecca.

Let's just say I've had a bit of an eye opener recently.
It crystallised when I cast my votes for the NEC.
A lot of the concerns that make me initially wary of voting for Corbyn last year, and which I over-rode my gut feeling on, have proved correct. Probably will resign my membership because I feel out of sympathy and kilter with what is going on, both factions are behaving badly.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

PorFavor wrote:
yahyah wrote:and for the avoidance of doubt, no I am not referring to anyone on FTN.
But if anyone is in the mood to take offence, please use me as a punchbag if it helps.

Aside from the bad taste elements contained therein, it was a really crap poem.

But I'll punch you on the nose anyway, if that's alright. 'Cos I'm like that . . .

Ready?

:lol: :hug: Got my dukes up...

I'm glad you agree, it was poor wasn't it.
But political poetry, even when less...er..well just less whatever that was, is like political songs.
It has to be very, very good or it is just embarrassing.

Don't mention Billy Bragg, that'd be the end of it for me.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Incidentally, "alright" should really be rendered as "all right", I believe. But I've always spelled it "alright" and it's never been corrected nor has it been questioned all the time I've done so (even at school). So I'll carry on in my own sweet way. Alright?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@yahyah

Billy Bragg - I imagine you already know that we speak with one voice on that one! Dire stuff.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

PorFavor wrote:Incidentally, "alright" should really be rendered as "all right", I believe. But I've always spelled it "alright" and it's never been corrected nor has it been questioned all the time I've done so (even at school). So I'll carry on in my own sweet way. Alright?
:roll:
tsk
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

yahyah wrote:Thanks for asking Rebecca.

A lot of the concerns that make me initially wary of voting for Corbyn last year, and which I over-rode my gut feeling on, have proved correct. Probably will resign my membership because I feel out of sympathy and kilter with what is going on, both factions are behaving badly.
Sorry to hear that.I cast my NEC votes today,nothing bad happened.
I haven't noticed anyone here giving you grief because you support Owen Smith,seems like quite a few ftners are.
Not me,but I would not badger you because we have different opinions,bound to happen in a two way fight.
How is your bp?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Sky NewsVerified account
‏@SkyNews
Jeremy Corbyn says Owen Smith is "very welcome" back in the shadow cabinet
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

PorFavor wrote:@yahyah

Billy Bragg - I imagine you already know that we speak with one voice on that one! Dire stuff.
I'm sorry, I can't agree with that. The 'Don't Try This At Home' album is delighful from start to finish.
The truth ferret speaks!
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

I don't support Owen Smith.

I haven't decided who to vote for. I want to see whether Corbyn acknowledges the issues and shows some sign he will do some things differently.
My worry is a vote for him will be seen as carrying on exactly as it is, when things need to be operating more effectively.

I have concerns about Smith, but am sick of seeing him subject to what I didn't like Corbyn being subjected to. He is not a monster.
He would also likely bring a more professional touch to the leadership, not a bad thing imho.

I have generally agreed with you in the past, and about Ed M. It caused me concern when it seemed that some are edging toward dismissing Ed because he supports Smith.

The whole thing is so polarised. It's being painted as a good v evil thing.
The Blair haters will be slavering tonight, painting him as the devil incarnate, and Smith the same.

Thanks for asking about my blood pressure. I haven't taken it since the doc added more Ramipril in.
Will be back in two weeks for her to do another review, so will take it before then to show her some home readings. She thinks I'm out of stroke risk territory, and my cardiovascular risk factors are pretty good because of my generally healthy lifestyle. But the stress of this leadership nonsense, coming on so soon after the EU referendum pushes my buttons. Any uncertainty feels pretty intolerable.

Hope the dogs are enjoying the cooler weather, and your daughter's Christmas extravaganza isn't driving you potty.
Last edited by yahyah on Thu 21 Jul, 2016 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

ohsocynical wrote:Sky NewsVerified account
‏@SkyNews
Jeremy Corbyn says Owen Smith is "very welcome" back in the shadow cabinet
Definite proof Corbyn is a Blairite ;)
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

JonnyT1234 wrote:
ephemerid wrote:
JonnyT1234 wrote:Solvents not solutions!
Substrates not solvents!
Catalysts not substrates!
Reagents not catalysts!
Solutions not reagents!

You're just being picky now.
Pickly I think.
You knows your onions, dontcha?
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Night all.
Will bring a peace offering of homemade bara brith full of spice and mixed fruit tomorrow.
Will even sing a bit of Billy Bragg if mbc keeps me to the tune.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Rebecca wrote:
yahyah wrote:Thanks for asking Rebecca.

Sorry to hear that.I cast my NEC votes today,nothing bad happened.
I haven't noticed anyone here giving you grief because you support Owen Smith,seems like quite a few ftners are.
Not me,but I would not badger you because we have different opinions,bound to happen in a two way fight.
How is your bp?

I haven't done mine yet. Apart from the obvious ones to avoid (so far as I'm concerned) it's more like casting my fate to the wind than casting my vote. Unlike yahyah, though, I shall hang on to my membership whatever happens but keep a watching brief. I expect that Jeremy Corbyn (assuming he wins the leadership contest) will, quite soon, say or do something almost unbelievably stupid, so bimbling off into the sunset now isn't the thing to do, I feel.

One of my favourite bands and one of my favourites of their songs says it better then I ever could -

(Obviously, you have to swap the genders around where appropriate.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNWh6uWAnSo
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... -1-8027626" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“We have to understand the burning injustice that is felt by young people whose nursing bursary has just been abolished. They are watching their dreams go up in smoke and they turn on the TV to find a Labour politician telling them to thank their lucky stars that we have got migrants who can staff their National Health Service,”
Lisa Nandy.

am concerned that telling people how things work (admittedly we could do a much better job) is something to stop doing, in favour of pandering to (often dangerous) widespread myths.
Last edited by tinyclanger2 on Thu 21 Jul, 2016 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor

Post by mbc1955 »

yahyah wrote:Night all.
Will bring a peace offering of homemade bara brith full of spice and mixed fruit tomorrow.
Me? And you think Bragg's voice is flat? (which it is, of course)
The truth ferret speaks!
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Don't be fooled by Owen Smith, he'll give Jeremy Corbyn a tough fight
Corbyn's allies will portray Owen Smith as representing the ‘old politics’. But Corbyn is not as new as he was in last year’s leadership election and this is a different battle

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/owe ... 46541.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Show got his NEC ballot papers today. He's not sure he's going to bother voting.

As you all know, I left Labour because I couldn't be doing with the lack of unity all round - and as yayah says, it's getting more polarised by the day.

If Smith and Corbyn could only work together - but instead we have this nonsense, with both men nothing like the monsters their enemies would have us believe, and both men good in their own ways.

I am inclined to think that whoever wins, they've got an uphill struggle to unite the party. Which makes me admire Ed Miliband even more - he was the reason why I joined in the first place, and he accomplished a lot in terms of unity despite the constant sniping. I miss him.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

yahyah wrote:I don't support Owen Smith.

I haven't decided who to vote for. I want to see whether Corbyn acknowledges the issues and shows some sign he will do some things differently.
My worry is a vote for him will be seen as carrying on exactly as it is, when things need to be operating more effectively.

I have concerns about Smith, but am sick of seeing him subject to what I didn't like Corbyn being subjected to. He is not a monster. He is not, in my opinion but others are entitled to theirs, a lying, snivelling sack of shit as described here the other day. That's exactly the kind of thing Corbyn is against.
He would also likely bring a more professional touch to the leadership, not a bad thing imho.

I have generally agreed with you in the past, and about Ed M. It caused me concern when it seemed that some are edging toward dismissing Ed because he supports Smith.

The whole thing is so polarised. It's being painted as a good v evil thing.
The Blair haters will be slavering tonight, painting him as the devil incarnate, and Smith the same.

Thanks for asking about my blood pressure. I haven't taken it since the doc added more Ramipril in.
Will be back in two weeks for her to do another review, so will take it before then to show her some home readings. She thinks I'm out of stroke risk territory, and my cardiovascular risk factors are pretty good because of my generally healthy lifestyle. But the stress of this leadership nonsense, coming on so soon after the EU referendum pushes my buttons. Any uncertainty feels pretty intolerable.

Hope the dogs are enjoying the cooler weather, and your daughter's Christmas extravaganza isn't driving you potty.

We watched Angelina Ballerina and the nutcracker today.Now That would do something to your blood pressure!
Dogs are fine,but I am going to continue the early walks,get so much done.I used to go out early with Charlie because I was working,but it took me 2 years to get used to not working when I gave up to look after Rosie.
To the extent of waking him up to go out in the pitch black,-20 degrees,when we lived in France.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@yahyah

Night night!

(You can bring Rose with the turned up nose, but don't bring Billy!)
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Am on "holiday"
No Noilly Prat.
what sort of a holiday is that?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

The Junior Doctors are still fighting Hunt.

We have great news!
Today we have had a good day in the High Court challenging Mr Hunt's position on imposition, the Judge has heard our initial proposals and granted us a full, expedited Judicial Review hearing expected in September. The judge remarked that this is an important case that has merit and needs to be heard in the public interest.

We have also today challenged the SOS's security for costs demands. As you know, yesterday we received a letter demanding £150,000 within 7 days.
Our legal team have challenged this in court and negotiated a better deal for us.
The judge listened to our requests and has ordered that the amount provided as security for costs will represent the total and final amount that Mr Hunt's legal team could seek from us if we were to lose our case.

We must provide £70,000 security for costs if we argue only our original public law grounds (£30,000 of which was raised in May)
We must provide £130,000 security for costs if we choose to argue the full case including the proposed new grounds (and we are well on our way to raising this amount!)
We will need to continue to raise funds to cover our legal fees as the case progresses.
NHS Employers presented the court with a bill that they are requesting we pay. The judge listened to thei position and decided that this would be addressed at the end of the full case hearing and judgment.

These costs must be produced and held in a secured account by the deadline of August 16th. If we have not raised the necessary funds on that date, the judge will take a decision as to whether or not we are allowed to proceed to the full hearing.
We will be meeting with our lawyers next week to take their advice and make our final decision about which grounds we want to proceed with.
Whichever option we choose to take, we are relieved and grateful to have reached a more reasonable financial agreement today.
We will make our decisions and rationale public as soon as possible, as agreed in court today.
Please continue to support us by sharing our funding link online and helping us get our message out to the public that Junior Doctors will not be silenced when we are raising legitimate concerns about the safety of our patients, our colleagues and the sustainability of the NHS.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Substrates not solvents!
Reagents not catalysts!
Solutions not reagents!
I believe that's what is called spin, Jonny.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

There's a poem,or more correctly a random linkeage of words hidden somewhere that somebody wrote a few weeks ago about the binary thing.It's hidden because the writer of said linkeage of words gets embarrassed by such attempts,he has been coaxed to allow me to mention its existence but not where.He will retire for a few days and put his head in a bucket of cold water because the weather is still.extremely hot and if he survives he promises to come back again.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

PorFavor wrote:Incidentally, "alright" should really be rendered as "all right", I believe. But I've always spelled it "alright" and it's never been corrected nor has it been questioned all the time I've done so (even at school). So I'll carry on in my own sweet way. Alright?
A'ight.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Another story that got twisted.

It was being said Eagle was cancelling surgeries because she'd been advised by the police to do so for safety reasons. But now there is a letter from Merseyside Police. it appears the Police gave her advice about her surgeries at her request, but cancelling the surgeries was not a Police matter and would lie entirely with them.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

I once had a rant on cif during which I asked whether the pedant, our Lord Chancellor, preferred 'All right'. He still is Lord Chancellor I trust.

Postscript: Oh he's not, is he?
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

utopiandreams wrote:
Substrates not solvents!
Reagents not catalysts!
Solutions not reagents!
I believe that's what is called spin, Jonny.
More stirring involved with that lot, than spin.
Donald Trump: Making America Hate Again
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

http://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/m ... 053/21/07/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This to-do over Mark Thatcher. I used to go to my local Archive and research my family history. Official documents about a person were considered 'sensitive' which is usually 100 years. I know because my great gran was living on the parish in the late 1890's and I wasn't allowed to look at the Poor Law Guardian's entries until the hundred years was up, even though she died in 1928.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Neil Findlay MSP ‏@NeilFindlay_MSP 6h6 hours ago

The behaviour of some Labour MPs just now is appalling and very embarrassing - debate the issues and stop the personal attacks
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor

Post by mbc1955 »

RobertSnozers wrote:

What??

You'll be telling me you prefer Kirsty MacColl's version of New England next
Actually, I do. But then I loved pretty near everything Kirsty MacColl ever did.
The truth ferret speaks!
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Cn4xLcVXYAAGd-o.jpg
Cn4xLcVXYAAGd-o.jpg (83.48 KiB) Viewed 7396 times
And this is being misquoted a lot too.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

mbc1955 wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:

What??

Actually, I do. But then I loved pretty near everything Kirsty MacColl ever did.

Don't come the cowboy with me . . . .
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor

Post by mbc1955 »

PorFavor wrote:
mbc1955 wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote: What??

Only on Christmas Eve, in the drunk tank...
The truth ferret speaks!
TR'sGhost
Minister of State

Post by TR'sGhost »

ephemerid wrote: It's a long read; but what comes out of it for me is that the Decision Makers aren't much good (whether it's DWP or HMRC)
The basic problem with them is what it's always been. I have many horror stories from the 80s and 90s that are nearly as bad as what's happening now, with the exception that back then the government wasn't actively seeking to disqualify as many claims as it possibly can and building a system to enable and encourage that.

Decision makers are recruited at executive officer grade, which has an entry requirement of a couple of A-levels (and not even that if they're internal promotions), then required to make what we know can be very complex legal decisions. Who are often inadequately trained with far too much of "this is what we always do with a case like this" rather than "what does the statute and case law say we should do in this case". So you get errors about even the most basic law which become "what everyone knows".

Some decision-makers are really good at their jobs. Others pretty hopeless to worse than useless and some even actively claimant-hostile like the benefits came out of their wages or something. It doesn't help that, like the late 80s, the BA is being hollowed out and subjected to a strategy of demoralisation which encourages staff, often the best staff, to leave.
I'm getting tired of calming down....
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor

Post by mbc1955 »

RobertSnozers wrote:
mbc1955 wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
In these shoes?
On an empty bench in Soho Square? Certainly.
The truth ferret speaks!
TR'sGhost
Minister of State

Post by TR'sGhost »

Willow904 wrote:Child labour and underpaid college students, wasn't it? Them were the days, 'got me country back' innit.
A lot of seasonal agricultural work was once done by Gypsies and other travellers who moved from farm to farm and place to place as the need for the work to be done arose. The same families would turn up at the same farm year in, year out at the right time to be useful and they knew what they were doing.

The drive to get them off the road, combined with their eviction from traditional over-wintering sites in the late 1960s removed a lot of them from the agricultural workforce. And now it seems it's the turn of Eastern Europeans to face the bile of the media and the racists, classed as undesirables and driven away.

So I await with anticipation the UKIP pensioners and BF yobs turning out in their thousands to do the physically demanding, very peripatetic, seasonal and often surprisingly skilled work a succession of such undesirables have been stealing from Britons since time immemorial.
TR'sGhost
Minister of State

Post by TR'sGhost »

ohsocynical wrote:Tony Blair has endorsed his friend Owen Smith. Blair's former advisers John McTernan and Lance Price will be advising Smith's campaign
McTernan's the one who thinks the "grass roots" don't matter and should be ignored isn't he?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

tinyclanger2 wrote:Bench fees not political and economic catastrophes!
I thought this had a touch of the John Cooper Clarkes.
But may it was more Vic Reeves.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/the ... 48761.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Everyone loves Theresa May. Because she’s new and fresh and untainted by the attitudes of the previous government, as she had nothing to do with it except for the minor role of Home Secretary which only involved popping in on a Tuesday to feed the cat, so it’s all different now because she loves the common person which we know must be true because she said so.
PS: Mark Steel
ChrisDean
Backbencher

Post by ChrisDean »

Good evening, everyone.

As you know, I am a reader rather than a poster, however, you may be interested to know that my daughter once worked for a farm that was /is famous for asparagus.

She hated every minute of it, not least because she had to turn away people that she knew personally, who had walked miles in search of a job.

Jobs were available but only to easily exploitable Eastern Europeans who would be required to pay the bulk of their earnings back in accommodation fees.

She's now a self-employed cleaner and much happier.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

yahyah wrote:Night all.
I kept the faith and I kept voting
Not for the iron fist but for the helping hand
For theirs is a land with a wall around it
And mine is a faith in my fellow man
Theirs is a land of hope and glory
Mine is the green field and the factory floor
Theirs are the skies all dark with bombers
And mine is the peace we know
Between the wars
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Richard Burgon MP ‏@RichardBurgon 22h22 hours ago
Richard Burgon MP Retweeted Jacqueline McGuigan

No ifs and no buts - a Labour Government led by @jeremycorbyn will abolish Emoyment Tribunal Fees. #AccesstoJustice
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

RobertSnozers wrote:
mbc1955 wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
In these shoes?[/quote

He's a liar & I'm not sure about you
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor

Post by mbc1955 »

I’ll see you baby when the clans rise again
Women and men united by the struggle
In this free world baby
Got to take it got to grab it
Got to get it up and shag it
In this free world
Going down

You’ve got to get into the water
Like a lamb goes to the slaughter
In this free world baby
Going down
The truth ferret speaks!
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Off topic:
John Cooper Clarke on being a "cross between George Formby and Eddie Murphy"

My new catchphrase is: turned out nice again mother****er!
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Neil Henderson ‏@hendopolis 1h1 hour ago
GUARDIAN: No free trade without open borders, Hollande tells May

That's going well then.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

Owen Smith talks to Labour supporters

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Just brilliant from Laurie Penny

https://medium.com/welcome-to-the-screa ... .ecd5o21b6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;