Saturday 23 and Sunday 24 July 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 23 and Sunday 24 July 2016

Post by ohsocynical »

Lost Soul wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:Jane Hersey ‏@HerseyJane 4h4 hours ago

To the 40 female MPs who accuse #Corbyn supporters of abuse. How do they know these are supporters and not RW trolls?
Oh good grief Charlie Brown ! :smack:
You are aware there are some deeply disturbed people that get their rocks off by abusively trolling women via Twitter?
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

SpinningHugo wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:Must admit I thought like that (re the conclusion by McInnes) at the time too.

But in retrospect it might be that JC did the right thing in stubbornly hanging on, even if you don't support him. In particular had he stepped down right away, the myth (and it *is* a myth, as she says) that he was primarily responsible for Brexit would have become irretrievably entrenched.

And that would have been a rewriting of history that is monstrous even by present day standards.
As so often, you are attacking a strawman.

Who has said that Corbyn was "primarily responsible'? Link me to someone saying that.

Nobody thinks that.

What is said is that some (many?) on Corbyn's team were Brexiters (Milne). Corbyn's peformance during the campaign was woeful. There are strong grounds to think that he himself wanted Brexit, not least his call immediately after the result for an immediate invocation of article 50.

So, the undermining of the Remain campaign by Corbyn's leadership of the party *contributed* to the result. Nobody says it was the prime cause.

Those of us who disagree with the result of the referendum also think it is important that the Labour party is led by someone who is pro-EU. That is more important than ever.

of course Corbyn should have resigned. The idea that anybody at all believed such a myth, or was in danger of doing so, is a joke.
Original post - referendum
Reply - referendum

Enough.

You're not here for any other reason than to try and change minds about Corbyn. And by the look of it you're not succeeding.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

When you are so immersed the normal reactions/rules do not apply hence all information/events go through the "how do I use this to defend/attack" prism first both sides do it and it doesn't matter if it mass killings via allegations of abuse,intimitation to he touched a Tory once not in an unfriendly fashion.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Deleted by MI 5
Last edited by HindleA on Sat 23 Jul, 2016 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Hello.

I've been listening to Test Match Special and what fun it has been. Henry Blofeld loves lemon curd, and there has been a green lorry today. Joe Root made 254 making him the third-highest-scoring English batsman.

This is the important stuff of life.

I think FreedomOfThePress was not having a go at Anatoly; and I have to say I agree with the long post he/she made earlier.

I think Roger is right. About everything.

After a few nice days here, I see we're back to where we were last week. Which is a shame.

I'm gong back to the cricket.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

I was going to post this before I got sidetracked with the usual....

(WARNING!!!!!!!! DOES NOT CONTAIN ANYTHING INVOLVING CORBYNSMITHLABOUR)

Donald Trump, who about 150 million people (or more) want to be The Leader Of The Free World so that he can build a socking great wall, has now directed nearly a fifth of his campaign cash - about $11 Million - into his own businesses.
This report from CNN Washington is a month old - yet still people think this hideous person is fit to be President. Are they all quite mad?
http://www.edition.cnn.com/2016/06/21/p ... nding-fec/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

I don't think there is any prospect whatsoever of my persuading anyone here not to vote Corbyn, FWIIW. Corbyn will win easily and there is nothing someone like me can do about it.

I think the majority are no longer open to being reasoned with about it.How on earth could anyone expect to persuade this lot to behave differently?

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

it is like Millenarianism. Reasoning won't help. We'll just have to wait for time to pass, and the passion to fade as the messiah resolutely fails to materialise.
Last edited by SpinningHugo on Sat 23 Jul, 2016 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

SpinningHugo wrote:I don't think there is any prospect whatsoever of my persuading anyone here not to vote Corbyn, FWIIW. Corbyn will win easily and there is nothing someone like me can do about it.

I think the majority are no longer open to being reasoned with about it.How on earth could anyone expect to persuade this lot to behave differently?

it is like Millenarianism. Reasoning won't help. We'll just have to wait for time to pass, and the passion to fade as the messiah resolutely fails to materialise.
Here's a thought: why not try to persuade people to vote Smith? Try being positive for a change, rather than attacking.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

refitman wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:I don't think there is any prospect whatsoever of my persuading anyone here not to vote Corbyn, FWIIW. Corbyn will win easily and there is nothing someone like me can do about it.

Here's a thought: why not try to persuade people to vote Smith? Try being positive for a change, rather than attacking.
Reasons to vote for Smith would be reasons not to vote for Corbyn. Corbyn voters are not open to reasons not to vote for Corbyn of any form. I am not a Labour member any longer, and so have no say one way or the other (I didn't pay my £25 either as I consider it pointless). Do you really think explaining my view that Smith's policies on wage councils is sensible, or Corbyn's policy that pharmaceutical firms should lose their research incentives is insane, would persuade anyone here? It isn't that kind of forum.

If there is a point (other than my own efforts to understand) it is the hope that after failure of these hopes some people will behave differently at some point in the (far) future. Much like the early 80s.

But we are now getting to the point where no evidence or reason could ever succeed, and so it is worse than Millenarianism. So when a Corbyn led Labour crashes and burns electorally this will be the fault of the MSM and Blairite Quislings, just as all the bullying and abuse is "really" being carried out by agents of MI5 or is "really" just the same from any part of the party. Corbynism is now irrefutably true, and that is that.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

refitman wrote:

No chance of that, Refitman.

Same old tactics every single time. Nothing to say of any use or ornament.

Meanwhile......

It looks as though the gunman in Munich was another lone crazy person and nothing to do with ISIS.
They have been busy elsewhere - 80 dead in Kabul and more than 200 injured. Dreadful.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

SpinningHugo wrote:It isn't that kind of forum.
Oh really, and what kind of forum is it then?

I thought it was the kind of forum where people could discuss anything they fancied (sometimes getting a response, sometimes not depending on how interested people are) and not get railroaded into discussing just one topic - however important that topic might be.

But hey, I must be wrong...
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Re Munich... Hoping the link works.

refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

SpinningHugo wrote:
refitman wrote:

Reasons to vote for Smith would be reasons not to vote for Corbyn. Corbyn voters are not open to reasons not to vote for Corbyn of any form. I am not a Labour member any longer, and so have no say one way or the other (I didn't pay my £25 either as I consider it pointless). Do you really think explaining my view that Smith's policies on wage councils is sensible, or Corbyn's policy that pharmaceutical firms should lose their research incentives is insane, would persuade anyone here? It isn't that kind of forum.

If there is a point (other than my own efforts to understand) it is the hope that after failure of these hopes some people will behave differently at some point in the (far) future. Much like the early 80s.

But we are now getting to the point where no evidence or reason could ever succeed, and so it is worse than Millenarianism. So when a Corbyn led Labour crashes and burns electorally this will be the fault of the MSM and Blairite Quislings, just as all the bullying and abuse is "really" being carried out by agents of MI5 or is "really" just the same from any part of the party. Corbynism is now irrefutably true, and that is that.
Didn't see any actual reasons there. Want to try again? And just to be clear, I didn't vote for Corbyn last time and am open to voting for another candidate this time.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

RobertSnozers wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:Oops. Two for the price of one :lol:
I thought it was the new FTN 'spot the difference' competition

No. One for us. One for Hugo.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

refitman wrote: Didn't see any actual reasons there. .
Of course not.

As I said, explaining in detail why, say, Smith on workers councils is good, and Corbyn on pharmaceutical firms bad would be a complete waste of time.

Now, you may say you're interested in hearing my views on these matters, but to be honest I'd be astonished if that were actually true.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

RobertSnozers wrote:Good afternoon fellow cultists. I smell heretic. Burn the witch!

Corbyn is right to single out research as practised by big pharma. The usual academic processes of objectivity and evidence base are not the priorities of the drug companies, which are interested solely in selling drugs. As they should be, given that we don't have a nationalised pharma industry yet. This means that they suppress studies that show the wrong results, push those that show the right ones, and pressure the healthcare industry to licence and clinicials to use treatments on the basis of poor standards of evidence. If the drug companies could be compelled to make research independent of their commercial operations, this would save lives and save hundreds of millions of pounds.

Correct.

Big pharmaceutical companies get tax breaks on their profits, not on what they set aside for research.

Pfizer - pre-tax profits are between £50M to £80M on a revenue of about £1.2BN (in the UK)
Globally, it is expecting $53BN in revenues - it will spend about $7BN on research and development.

Ben Goldacre has some good stuff on all this.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Conor McGinn is married to a lady called Kate Groucott.

Kate Groucott was a Labour councillor for Mildmay ward in Islington.
While doing that job, she campaigned to be the Labour candidate for Cardiff/Penarth (she didn't get the nomination, it went to Stephen Doughty)

She also worked for Owen Smith as a political adviser for 2 years until last September when he moved to shadow DWP.
I think the idea was that she was born in Wales and thus the perfect person to advise a Welsh bloke on Welsh things.
Even though she lives and works in London.

It's all a bit, erm, incestuous.....
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

How David Cameron’s Plan To Screw Labour Cost Him The EU Referendum
Hidden in Thursday’s government info-dump was a measure of just how much it backfired

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/h ... 16?5mw8kt9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Sky News ‏@SkyNews Jul 22

"We need action now." John McDonnell calls for action from Philip Hammond as the UK is hit by a recession warning
Lost Soul
Committee Chair

Post by Lost Soul »

ohsocynical wrote:
Lost Soul wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:Jane Hersey ‏@HerseyJane 4h4 hours ago

To the 40 female MPs who accuse #Corbyn supporters of abuse. How do they know these are supporters and not RW trolls?
Oh good grief Charlie Brown ! :smack:
You are aware there are some deeply disturbed people that get their rocks off by abusively trolling women via Twitter?

What ?

Okay, I give up.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

SpinningHugo wrote:
Of course not.

As I said, explaining in detail why, say, Smith on workers councils is good, and Corbyn on pharmaceutical firms bad would be a complete waste of time.

Now, you may say you're interested in hearing my views on these matters, but to be honest I'd be astonished if that were actually true.
Well, I'd be interested in hearing your views on Owen Smith on workers' councils; and on Jeremy Corbyn on pharmatceutical firms. Other people here might well be, too. They may, or may not, agree with you but that's the nature of this forum. So - over to you.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Lost Soul wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
Lost Soul wrote: Oh good grief Charlie Brown ! :smack:

What ?

Okay, I give up.
If I've read your post incorrectly I apologise. However I've looked at it several times and it appears dismissive. I'll stand corrected if it's not.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Lost Soul wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
Lost Soul wrote: Oh good grief Charlie Brown ! :smack:

What ?

Okay, I give up.
It struck me as bizarre that JC should be credited with some special power over deeply disturbed people .
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

PorFavor wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:
Of course not.

Well, I'd be interested in hearing your views on Owen Smith on workers' councils; and on Jeremy Corbyn on pharmatceutical firms. Other people here might well be, too. They may, or may not, agree with you but that's the nature of this forum. So - over to you.

I am sorry, and I appreciate the nice sentiment, but there is no indication of that being true at all. You'd have to not have read this forum for over a year to think that. In an ideal world it would be true, but that is not this one.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

SpinningHugo wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote: Of course not.

I am sorry, and I appreciate the nice sentiment, but there is no indication of that being true at all. You'd have to not have read this forum for over a year to think that. In an ideal world it would be true, but that is not this one.
Oh, well. I tried.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

RobertSnozers wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:Re Munich... Hoping the link works.

The statement bears repeating here.
Last night, at the beginning of the weekend when people look forward to enjoying time off, spending it with family and friends a lone gun man brought death to the city of Munich.

My thoughts are with the families of those who were killed and injured in that deadly attack. I would also like to praise the efforts of the emergency services in Munich who in incredibly dangerous circumstances saved the lives of many others.

The aim of attacks like these are to drive a wedge between communities - they did not succeed in London, they did not succeed in Nice and they will not succeed in Munich.

I know this because it was less than a year ago when the people of Munich lined the streets with big hearts, a warm embrace and flowers in their hands to welcome families fleeing the war in Syria.
A city that can show such humanity and compassion will never allow the the events of last night to rip them apart.
Statesmanlike.
Nice words, but like Hollande and probably others**, he was jumping to the conclusion that those murders were a terrorist attack --
The aim of attacks like these are to drive a wedge between communities - they did not succeed in London, they did not succeed in Nice and they will not succeed in Munich.
** I wonder what BoJo had to say ?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

frog222 wrote: ** I wonder what BoJo had to say ?
have you not seen it?
"If, as seems very likely, this is another terrorist incident, then I think once again that we have a global phenomenon now and a global sickness that we have to tackle both at the source – in the areas where the cancer is being incubated in the Middle East – and also of course around the world."
http://sputniknews.com/news/20160723/10 ... -isis.html

:roll:

If he wasn't our Foreign Secretary you could just dismiss it as "Well, it's Boris" but this is just dire.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

RobertSnozers wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:
Oh, well. I tried.
I'm a little bewildered by this. Attempting to pick a fight to prove how unreasonable we all are?

I am utterly bewildered as to why a person would post the same thing repeatedly day after day, get the same reaction day after day, inform all present that they will never ever agree/"think like me"/wotevvah day after day.....rinse, repeat, rinse, repeat, on and on and on and on.....

I am utterly bewildered as to why a person who claims to be really really interested in what the "mindset of the Corbynista" is asks here when nobody here actually is one and the place to find 'em is most likely a website including "Momentum" in its name I shouldn't wonder.....

I think there's a name for this sort of thing.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

ephemerid wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:
PorFavor wrote: Oh, well. I tried.
I'm a little bewildered by this. Attempting to pick a fight to prove how unreasonable we all are?

I am utterly bewildered as to why a person would post the same thing repeatedly day after day, get the same reaction day after day, inform all present that they will never ever agree/"think like me"/wotevvah day after day.....rinse, repeat, rinse, repeat, on and on and on and on.....

I am utterly bewildered as to why a person who claims to be really really interested in what the "mindset of the Corbynista" is asks here when nobody here actually is one and the place to find 'em is most likely a website including "Momentum" in its name I shouldn't wonder.....

I think there's a name for this sort of thing.

Never mind all that - I've been left with the distinct impression that "I'm not worthy"! Oh, well.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

1.No plant pot option
2.As your average thicko more representative than the elite here,more likely to be seen as PM,granted that takes you up to .1 of a chance.
3.Hasn't a hope of beating Corbyn
4.Going Nowhere

Agent 25353
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Dear PorFavor -
We are all - all of us I tell you! - unworthy of these magisterial visitations.
What we must do now is wallow in our unworthiness and know our place.

Dear HindleA -
Upon my soul, Sir! You have been promoted, haven't you?
Your Agent Number has gone up by 25,000. Impressed, I am.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

HindleA wrote:1.No plant pot option
2.As your average thicko more representative than the elite here,more likely to be seen as PM,granted that takes you up to .1 of a chance.
3.Hasn't a hope of beating Corbyn
4.Going Nowhere

Agent 25353

"What romantic priggish nonsense some of us worked hard to be a fucking manual worker"
Last edited by HindleA on Sun 24 Jul, 2016 3:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hobiejoe
Minister of State

Post by Hobiejoe »

RobertSnozers wrote:
ephemerid wrote:Dear PorFavor -

Dear HindleA -
You are number 6
I am not a number!
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

CoDCrLJXYAAdVRr.jpg
CoDCrLJXYAAdVRr.jpg (77.69 KiB) Viewed 10911 times
Last edited by refitman on Sat 23 Jul, 2016 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Admin: smaller image
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Tim Shipman @ShippersUnbound
McDonnell still asserting that the NHS should do all drug research. Not clear how the NHS can afford the billions in research costs. Bananas

SpinDoctor ‏@LeftwingPoet 11h11 hours ago
SpinDoctor Retweeted Tim Shipman

If you bothered to read his speech you would know he means Led by #NHS for needs of Patients not Big Pharma profits.SpinDoctor added,
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
frog222 wrote: ** I wonder what BoJo had to say ?
have you not seen it?
"If, as seems very likely, this is another terrorist incident, then I think once again that we have a global phenomenon now and a global sickness that we have to tackle both at the source – in the areas where the cancer is being incubated in the Middle East – and also of course around the world."
http://sputniknews.com/news/20160723/10 ... -isis.html

:roll:

If he wasn't our Foreign Secretary you could just dismiss it as "Well, it's Boris" but this is just dire.
Thanks for the reply .

We can definitely call him 'Bomber' Boris now .

Is it my distance, and lack of telly, or is Bomber Benn lying low ?

Those invaluable Brimstone missiles he and the other suspects were rabbiting on about have definitely turned the tide in Syria ...
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

RobertSnozers wrote:

Dear HindleA -
You are number 6
BALLS.

(Great big white bouncing ones, obvs, no other kind here, no no no siree.....)
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Hobiejoe wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:

Dear HindleA -
You are number 6
I am not a number!
Yes you are.

You are Number Six in the queue and your call is important to us so please keep holding alternatively you can pay via the website at http://www.numbersareus.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or wait for the men in uniforms to come and collect you.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

RobertSnozers wrote:
ephemerid wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote: You are number 6
BALLS.

Be seeing you

You're a card, Mr.Snozers, and no mistake.

Show and I once spent a weekend in the castle hotel at Portmeirion. It was some conference do when he was in some outdoor events national thingie. The suite we had was just fantastic. It had one of those whirlpool baths and Show decided to treat me and run me a lovely hot bubble bath. He used the whole bottle and forgot how soft the water is up there. I had to fight my way into the bathroom through clouds of huge white bubbles.....actually, they looked a bit like huge white ball, now I come to think of it.......

Now, if you really are a cultist-type-person, you will no doubt tell me that I was not there of my own free will. I was.
I was I was I was I was......
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Goodnight all.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

ephemerid wrote:Goodnight all.
Night Ephie.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

RobertSnozers wrote:
ephemerid wrote:
BALLS.

Be seeing you
:rock: (or something like it?)
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

RobertSnozers wrote:

Dear HindleA -
You are number 6
No, I'm not going to post the obvious next line.
The truth ferret speaks!
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I am an agent of the following organisations hence the different numbers,obvious to me but it seemed to be causing confusion.

PlantPotImplementationUnit
MI 2.5
SecretAgentsR'Us
AntiDalekResponseTeam

There may be more,but some are so secret I don't know if I am a member of them.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

PorFavor wrote: - I've been left with the distinct impression that "I'm not worthy"! Oh, well.
I'm really sorry if that is how you feel. It is not what I intend. But I hope that if you look with a neutral eye on the reaction of others, you'll see why it is a bit pointless for me to bother. It has been like this for a long time.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ephemerid wrote:Goodnight all.
Goodnight, Ephemerid.
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

RobertSnozers wrote:
mbc1955 wrote:
No, I'm not going to post the obvious next line.
What do you want?
Information. Information INFORMATION.
The truth ferret speaks!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

IMF calls for more government spending as rate cuts lose their impact

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... eir-impact" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The IMF demands governments spend money.
...the IMF wants advanced economies like Germany and the United States to channel more public spending into infrastructure
investment to help boost global growth, an issue that has sparked divisions among G20 members.

“Reforms that facilitate the scaling up of infrastructure investment would help raise productive capacity, boost short-term demand
directly, and catalyse private investment,” it said.
Good idea
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-evening, everyone.
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

SpinningHugo wrote:
PorFavor wrote: - I've been left with the distinct impression that "I'm not worthy"! Oh, well.
I'm really sorry if that is how you feel. It is not what I intend. But I hope that if you look with a neutral eye on the reaction of others, you'll see why it is a bit pointless for me to bother. It has been like this for a long time.
Hugo,

I don't wish to sound rude, but why do you bother then? I would be interested in hearing your positive views rather than the negativity regarding Corbyn. Obviously on the face of it, I don't have a horse in the race. And of course quite rightly I can't vote in the labour leadership election. In a broader sense though, it is of importance even to Greens such as myself. After all, whichever way you look at it, Labour are the official opposition [not that you'd know it at the moment]. As someone who desperately wants to see the back of the Tories, I obviously want a strong official opposition - i.e a strong Labour party.

So, what I'm looking for is positive reasons for either candidate as leader. I'm looking for ways the Labour party may get out of this complete mess and start being what we need them to be. A strong force opposing this bastard government. And if you don't think either of them can achieve that, who, what, and how, do Labour get to be that strong force?

Greetings all btw.
Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.