Saturday 23 and Sunday 24 July 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 23 and Sunday 24 July 2016

Post by citizenJA »

Sadiq Khan continues to impress me.
Devolve schemes for unemployed, says London mayor Sadiq Khan

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... -programme" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

refitman wrote: Here's a thought: why not try to persuade people to vote Smith? Try being positive for a change, rather than attacking.
Good point. I am what's commonly known as "a right miserable get" but I am getting tired of constant negativity. It's the post Big Brother world whereby we have reverted to 21st century equivalents of watching gladiators and bullfights, and knitting at executions.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

PorFavor wrote:

Never mind all that - I've been left with the distinct impression that "I'm not worthy"! Oh, well.
One of the key things about Brexit Britain is that it allows us to perpetuate our age-old tradition of the haves owning the country and the rest of us getting to wave a flag now and then (though of course it will be a much less iconic flag once the "Celts" have left us to our own devices)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Am knitting now,not exactly now,I can't do it with one hand,I can barely do it with my usual three,one's out on loan at the moment.No executions as yet,but it could change.

#remembertolaugh

I force myself to laugh,it is an interesting technique thankfully nobody to witness it.I could well end up in a secure setting,and I don't mean just a window shut.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-night, everyone.
I love you dearly.
cJA
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

SpinningHugo wrote:I am sorry, and I appreciate the nice sentiment, but there is no indication of that being true at all. You'd have
to not have read this forum for over a year to think that. In an ideal world it would be true, but that is not this one.
I didn't read this forum for over a year and I'm still not interested.
I still believe in a town called Hope
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I really don't understand the problem of bewilderment,it is a fantastic place to be because you haven't a fucking clue what's going on and never have done really,any" addition" just feeds into continued enjoyment that nothing makes any sense at all and you can call a dog a step ladder because you want to and make it up as you go along because everybody else is as far as you can tell,occasionally your path crosses fleetingly with others in temporary agreement only to immediately diverge and for most of the time it runs in parallel with a vague something called not being dead,and being happy that your not,laughing at nothing and sometimes ranting.about even less.Wonderful.
Last edited by HindleA on Sun 24 Jul, 2016 2:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Probably not very good if you've got any responsibilities of any kind.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Agent ?#£@+?

"The flamingos played hopscotch with a tea towel on their heads"
extankie
Backbencher

Post by extankie »

HindleA wrote:I really don't understand the problem of bewilderment,it is a fantastic place to be because you haven't a fucking clue what's going on and never have done really,any" addition" just feeds into continued enjoyment that nothing makes any sense at all and you can call a dog a step ladder because you want to and make it up as you go along because everybody else is as far as you can tell,occasionally your path crosses fleetingly with others in temporary agreement only to immediately diverge and for most of the time in runs in parallel with a vague something called not being dead,and being happy that your not,laughing at nothing and sometimes ranting.about even less.Wonderful.
At Last! A post I understood!.. Thanks awfully:)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Think we all feel like that somtimes I used to agonise about the disconnect,"Is it me?".Took me a long time to get to the "fuck it,embrace it"Still slip back into the fruitless task of sense making,but ever more rarely.Thanks for words.Now we are in agreement,we must immediately diverge-joke
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Can't sleep.

While I wait for the medicine to work, I took a little lookie at this -
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... mps-office" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What a piece of nonsense it is too. Seema Malhotra, who resigned her post in the shadow cabinet a month ago, hasn't moved out of her office.
The office in question is one reserved for the person who does the job she used to do. Although she's not doing that job, she thinks it's still her office and she has staff working there. I'm not entirely sure what they're doing, but whatever it is they shouldn't be doing it there.

Malhotra s now claiming that, after a campaign of intimidation and harassment against her staff, her office has been subject to illegal and unauthorised entry, which is a breach of parliamentary privilege and security.
An office manager accessed the office using a key in order to check that Malhotra and her staff/interns had vacated it when she resigned several weeks ago. She hadn't, and now she's made an official complaint to the Speaker.

Daniel Boffey (for it is he who has penned this nonsense) uses the article, entitled "Corbyn aide accused of illegal entry to MPs Westminster office", to proffer the view of a disgruntled policy wonk called Neale Coleman who resigned from Corbyn's team in January and now supports Smith.

This is getting sillier by the day. Seema Malhotra should have moved out of that office a month ago. This is yet another manufactured piece of nonsense aimed at proving Corbyn is a bully. The Guardian should be ashamed of itself.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Morning, ephe. Not that I can't sleep but have been out and about since 4. Don't ask. Anyway just turned telly on for the morning news and there it is the Beeb going on about that very same office. Well I'm calling it office, intimidation and denials was their slant. Who to believe?

Just looked back to see if anybody got my Max Bygraves comment... So many stories.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

I wish I hadn't left my Anusol in the office.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

For the avoidance of doubt I, myself, am sitting comfortably. Although sympathetic I remember a chap for other things too, but going back to the little four-0, he'd talk about his problem to everybody he encountered.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... esperation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1. Scroll to picture of Smith.
2. Notice the sleeves
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

That pic doesn't show his legs, clanger. Bet he's never worn denim cut-offs.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/mun ... 52206.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Munich shooting has revealed the identity crises sweeping across the continent

Indeed the rise in English nationalism follows devolution and the subsequent Scottish referendum, and I suspect has played some role in the outcome of the Brexit fiasco. Propelled of course by our fabulous ever vigilant press, describing devolution in consistently divisive terms.

Perhaps a mass campaign against shit publications, and a Labour party that can withstand our press until it's done.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Taxpayers fund large wages and lavish perks of academy school chiefs (https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... g-expenses)
The Department for Education says that such transactions “can save money” but that they investigate and will take “swift action” where there is cause for concern.
Swift action? How much evidence and long has this been known and indeed reported?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Boris Johnson was very rash in his response to the Munich shooting
http://indy100.independent.co.uk/articl ... paign=i100" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Completely unforeseeable. The man's a natural diplomat.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 52346.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
New hate crime action plan to be published next week.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

utopiandreams wrote:Morning, ephe. Not that I can't sleep but have been out and about since 4. Don't ask. Anyway just turned telly on for the morning news and there it is the Beeb going on about that very same office. Well I'm calling it office, intimidation and denials was their slant. Who to believe?

Just looked back to see if anybody got my Max Bygraves comment... So many stories.

It's ridiculous.

Office manager has keys to open all offices used by opposition. Office manager uses said keys - more than once!!!!! - to check if said offices are being vacated by the people who shouldn't be working there any more.
Staff in said offices are so intimidated by this they are scared witless and will only work in said offices where they haven't got any work to do any more in numbers because they're too frightened to be on their own.
In fact, they are so scared that they were intimidated by a visit the office manager made when they were all out for the day.

If this is what qualifies as "intimidation" and "harassment" I have only one thing to say to Ms.Malhotra.

BOO!
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

utopiandreams wrote:That pic doesn't show his legs, clanger. Bet he's never worn denim cut-offs.
Now, that could win me over to him. ;)
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Just catching up on yesterday's news, and Corbyn's speech, as we were out most of yesterday.

Corbyn said ''We have to be very disciplined.
As I have made it very clear many times before I don't do personal abuse of anybody at any time.
None of that has any place in our party or our movement.''

Maybe we could have a discussion here about some FTN ground rules following Corbyn's very clear message.

Is swearing about either of the candidates during the campaign acceptable, or calling one of them something very nasty, acting in the spirit of Corbyn's recommendation ?

Or maybe, if a poster feels the need to call one of the candidates say a xxxxx xxx of s***, that they preface it with 'I believe him to be a xxxx xxx of xxxx', rather than state it as a fact ?

It may help 'lower the political temperature' as Corbyn has requested.
And, it would be unfortunate if, because this is an open forum, a nasty comment about Smith made its way into the wider world to be used as proof that 'Corbynistas' or 'Smithites' are all the same.

Edited to try and make sense, yet again.
Just goes to show a grammar school education doesn't always work.
All the work of those nuns and still can't position a comma.
Last edited by yahyah on Sun 24 Jul, 2016 9:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

yahyah wrote:Just catching up on yesterday's news, and Corbyn's speech, as we were out most of yesterday.

This MEN report is great

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... ar_twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The parish council seat detail is comedy gold.

Not a cult though.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Thanks. It's going to rain so will have plenty of time later to read up links.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Posted on Twitter recently by the husband of cancer campaigner Dr Kate Granger
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-07-24 at 10.02.29.png
Screen Shot 2016-07-24 at 10.02.29.png (386.2 KiB) Viewed 7136 times
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

What an atrociously written piece,garbled,barely intelligible,going the mockery non humouress routeI IMHO

#I'minthecultofmyown
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Aye.RIP
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

That picture has upset me,but in a glorious celebratory way.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Brilliant line from McDonnell

"We thought she'd moved out of her office after she resigned."
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

HindleA wrote:That picture has upset me,but in a glorious celebratory way.
Me too A
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

ephemerid wrote:
utopiandreams wrote:Morning, ephe. Not that I can't sleep but have been out and about since 4. Don't ask. Anyway just turned telly on for the morning news and there it is the Beeb going on about that very same office. Well I'm calling it office, intimidation and denials was their slant. Who to believe?

It's ridiculous.

Office manager has keys to open all offices used by opposition. Office manager uses said keys - more than once!!!!! - to check if said offices are being vacated by the people who shouldn't be working there any more.
Staff in said offices are so intimidated by this they are scared witless and will only work in said offices where they haven't got any work to do any more in numbers because they're too frightened to be on their own.
In fact, they are so scared that they were intimidated by a visit the office manager made when they were all out for the day.

If this is what qualifies as "intimidation" and "harassment" I have only one thing to say to Ms.Malhotra.

BOO!
I'm getting a weird sense of deja-vu over this. Haven't we already had a story identical to this, in recent months?
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Stupid people in Manchester, getting enthusiastic about politics. Don't they know it's a serious subject for serious people?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Someone on Facebook has just said:

Just seen John McDonnell on Andrew Marr. This "break-in" to Seema Malhotra's office was an office manager using her key to see if the room had been vacated a month after the MP had resigned. She apologised at the time and had good relations with the MP who invited her to a social event.
This office manager (who is a widow with 3 children, not some burly henchman) is very anxious now because she is being accused of breaking in and is worried she may lose her job.
I would like to appeal to women MPs who are being used in this way to stand up to the organisers of this dreadful smear campaign.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

refitman wrote:
ephemerid wrote:

It's ridiculous.

BOO!
I'm getting a weird sense of deja-vu over this. Haven't we already had a story identical to this, in recent months?
That's it. There was some fuss that aides to Labour MPs, who had resigned their positions, had their passes revoked.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 28556.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

13709808_10154387540897238_595918027204591924_n.jpg
13709808_10154387540897238_595918027204591924_n.jpg (103.66 KiB) Viewed 7471 times
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ohsocynical wrote:Someone on Facebook has just said:

Just seen John McDonnell on Andrew Marr. This "break-in" to Seema Malhotra's office was an office manager using her key to see if the room had been vacated a month after the MP had resigned. She apologised at the time and had good relations with the MP who invited her to a social event.
This office manager (who is a widow with 3 children, not some burly henchman) is very anxious now because she is being accused of breaking in and is worried she may lose her job.
I would like to appeal to women MPs who are being used in this way to stand up to the organisers of this dreadful smear campaign.
So we could honestly say the Office Manager is being bullied?
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Yahyah - your post made perfect sense to me.

As I am occasionally prone to ****ing outbursts, I'm having a few days off from here. Again.

Not because of what you said, but because of how I feel.

Despite several attempts to engage our resident concern troll Spinny McSnideface in actual real discussion from half-a-dozen people yesterday, debate is being stifled for no useful reason and I am sick of it.
Now, maybe I should be bigger than this. Well, I'm not. Maybe I should just ignore it. Well, I've tried. Unfortunately, I often leave here more irritated than informed; that's a pity, but it's how it is for me.

I know for a fact that I am not the only person who feels this way.
I am also not the only person who takes a break from here for the same reason either.
I am aware that the person who is doing this will blame anyone but himself for it.

I fully expect more barbed personal comments with reference to me having a problem.
I won't be here to read them, so wear yourself out, Hugo.

I'll be back when I feel this is once more the civilised place I love. Toodlepip.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-morning, everyone.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Daniel Boffey learnt his trade at the Mail titles. It certainly shows.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

On changing offices, here's what ex-Miliband advisor says:
Ayesha Hazarika ‏@ayeshahazarika 1h1 hour ago
Ayesha Hazarika Retweeted (((Dan Hodges)))
Also. Not down to Seema to just leave. Whips sort MPs' offices. Takes time. They knew she & team were still there.
(((Dan Hodges))) @DPJHodges
John McDonnell line: "She thought the office had been vacated". Jeremy Corbyn line: "She entered to speak to the staff".
Ayesha Hazarika ‏@ayeshahazarika 60m60 minutes ago
Ayesha Hazarika Retweeted Oliver O'Callaghan
It's not. Pretty serious matter.
Oliver O'Callaghan @oocallaghan1
@ayeshahazarika in what way, shape or form is it ever acceptable to enter a Member of Parliament's office without explicit permission?
Ayesha Hazarika ‏@ayeshahazarika 47m47 minutes ago
Ayesha Hazarika Retweeted Paul Barbour
Doesn't work like that. Can take months esp when both parties are moving MPs. I remember the hell of office moves!
Paul Barbour @paulsoviet
@ayeshahazarika @DPJHodges a month after resigning and still in the office? Come on, grow up!
Pathetic!
Ayesha Hazarika ‏@ayeshahazarika 45m45 minutes ago
Ayesha Hazarika Retweeted Jane Merrick
ha. I lived through the hell of parliamentary office moves and the whips' negotiations. It's like being in a chain!
Jane Merrick @janemerrick23
If anyone is still confused about how the allocation of MPs' offices work... " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Ayesha Hazarika ‏@ayeshahazarika 11m11 minutes ago
Ayesha Hazarika Retweeted Martin Watson
She's keen to move (who knew) Whips trying to get an office. Lots of MPs won't want to move right before recess.
Martin Watson @Em_Brouhaha
.@oocallaghan1 @ayeshahazarika the office belonged to the post she'd resigned weeks before. Not her mps office. Get your story straight.
so it's clearly not as straight-forward as you choose to believe but then again, what would a Westminster insider know when there's such a wealth of knowledge possessed by people who've never worked in the place....
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

SpinningHugo wrote:
yahyah wrote:Just catching up on yesterday's news, and Corbyn's speech, as we were out most of yesterday.

This MEN report is great

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... ar_twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The parish council seat detail is comedy gold.

Not a cult though.
Momentarily I was genuinely stumped. But not for long. Labour hadn't won some kind of massive victory in Thanet that I'd missed, but had in fact (just) won a parish council election in Ramsgate in which around 500 people took part.

The UKIP incumbent had stood down from both that seat and his role in the district council. In the higher level district council election, UKIP won.
Any fact-checkers around ?

I'm off to the beach despite the wind .

xx
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

That is basically factually accurate yes.

I suspect an aide just told Corbyn "we beat UKIP in Thanet recently!" and he thought he was such a good thing for geeing up the crowd, he couldn't be bothered to check.

Besides he is just following in the footsteps of the LibDems, who have form in bigging up town/parish council results when it suits them.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

All I'm going to say is poor old George Osborne found himself moved to a cubbyhole next to the photocopying room within days....
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Jeremy Corbyn shot Bambi’s mother claim Labour MPs

http://eveningharold.com/2016/07/24/jer ... ore-217264
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Not totally sure, but hasn't it transpired that the whips office or one of its members has been working against Corbyn? If so not exactly working as an efficient team?
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

I believe many here think Rebecca Long-Bailey (Labour's shadow chief sec to the Treasury) to be a good appointment

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

ohsocynical wrote:Not totally sure, but hasn't it transpired that the whips office or one of its members has been working against Corbyn? If so not exactly working as an efficient team?
They offered to resign. He refused.

http://labourlist.org/2016/07/corbyn-re ... our-whips/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.

Breaking news:
Owen Smith adviser is five weeks behind on his tea and biscuits fund contributions, and someone on Jeremy Corbyn's team is six weeks behind - according to two high-placed, anonymous Party sources. Both sides claim to be being bullied into coughing up.

Conservatives drink champagne and laugh uproariously.

Good job there's nothing pressing needing doing.