Saturday 23 and Sunday 24 July 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Re: Saturday 23 and Sunday 24 July 2016

Post by refitman »

RobertSnozers wrote:Sorry about size, I can't actually resize pics on my ipad
Made it a little smaller.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

FWIW I totally ignore all the "if you can afford to smoke" non arguments.They are a variety of ways to do so that cost nothing or very little.The sweepings of a factory floor washed left to dry and sold extremely cheaply in bags -particulary good if you like a mixture of flavours.Street walking recycling method,speaks for itself but for obvious reasons knowledge of places where people gather helps.The never ending roll-up,again obvious,just keep making until you risk.lighting just a piece of paper.You can avoid the need for lighter or matches by blow torching your hair via gas ring and simply going up to people with the well worn phrase "Yourdonthappentohavealightmatedoyou?".Simply by knowing other people that smoke you can ask them some people rely on this totally known as the "OPO's"-other peoples' only.Knowing someone,a clever ruse that it is not beyond unthinkeable that some reciprocal arrange can be made where you help.them and they give you tobacco,it's even be known that family/friends help.out and share things,incredible as it may seem That is just the tip of the iceberg.I have never used any of these methods,it is part of thorough research only.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

*** MESSAGE TO SPINNING HUGO ***

Please, please be more civil to other members here.

This place is self policing. If other members flag to you that your posts are unacceptable is some way, you have a duty to respond to that and to repair any damage.

Or, please stay away from the Forum.

For clarity, this is not to say you have to agree with other posters all the time. It's how you go about it.

*** ENDS ***
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Physical Book Sales Rocket As Digital Dips
Book shops are attracting more and more customers by offering cafes and running events.

http://news.sky.com/story/physical-book ... s-10510980" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Phew. Am feeling relieved. Have just signed a letter my husband typed up for me.
Have resigned from the Labour party.

There's been no sign that either faction will work together. No effective opposition can result while the party is in such disarray. If Corbyn wins it'll be strife, if Smith wins it'll be strife.

Felt there was little point voting for either candidate.
Corbyn, and his circle, seem reluctant to concede any points made about the leadership may have validity. I get no sense that any change will occur if he wins again, and therefore could not vote for him again this time around.

Smith may be able to be a better manager of the party, and eventually be able to connect with voters, but he would not be allowed to get on with it without acrimony. His candidacy just allows all the old divisions to come to the fore, and his previous career is worrying.

Next time Labour tears itself apart, hopefully they will manage to bring forward a real unity candidate, someone who will be able to gain respect, and not get abuse from, the opposite side of the party.
But pigs will fly before that happens.

Am feeling very disenchanted, very let down by them all.
Last edited by yahyah on Sun 24 Jul, 2016 4:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

ohsocynical wrote:
Physical Book Sales Rocket As Digital Dips
Book shops are attracting more and more customers by offering cafes and running events.

http://news.sky.com/story/physical-book ... s-10510980" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Some good news :clap:
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:*** MESSAGE TO SPINNING HUGO ***

This place is self policing. If other members flag to you that your posts are unacceptable is some way, you have a duty to respond to that and to repair any damage.

For clarity, this is not to say you have to agree with other posters all the time. It's how you go about it.

*** ENDS ***

Which posts are you indicating have not been civil? I can point you at rather a lot of posts (some today) that have not been very civil towards me.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Missed read that,I thought there was a mass of people combining reading a book and running.I've heard of extreme ironing where they climb K2 and get iron their socks or something like that.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

SpinningHugo wrote:

*** ENDS ***

Which posts are you indicating have not been civil? I can point you at rather a lot of posts (some today) that have not been very civil towards me.
Can I just ask if you have received any emails from myself?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Afternoon all.

Had a lovely lunch out with the missus for her birthday which was on Friday, followed by a walk home through the park. Took my camera with me as it was a decent day and came across this little chap with a few mates...

If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Its sad that anybody feels the need to resign from the Labour party because of what is currently going on.

Things will get better in time, I am sure of that. It may take a few years, though.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:

*** ENDS ***

Yes I did. I'll try to confine myself to posting links and asking for support for factual claims by others that are (I think) false. I won't respond to other things even if addressed to me by name if it will lead to upset.

Unfortunately however, I think the discord is mainly coming from strong disagreement. That is the politics of the left at the moment. Look what happened to TE. Pre-May 2015 it was, I think, fine.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

My reasons are to do with putting some distance between me and the whole dysfunctional mess.
Homeless cats will benefit from the membership fees.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Hugo has a point.
What happens here is just a microcosm of what is happening in the Labour party.
Anger, personal abuse, seeing malice in the actions of others, and a belief that the faction one identifies with has to be right.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I like cats,they seem to like me.They follow me around.into shops,on buses etc.Maybe they think I'm a cat or a fish,or just smell like one.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

yahyah wrote:Phew. Am feeling relieved. Have just signed a letter my husband typed up for me.
Have resigned from the Labour party.

There's been no sign that either faction will work together. No effective opposition can result while the party is in such disarray. If Corbyn wins it'll be strife, if Smith wins it'll be strife.

Felt there was little point voting for either candidate.
Corbyn, and his circle, seem reluctant to concede any points made about the leadership may have validity. I get no sense that any change will occur if he wins again, and therefore could not vote for him again this time around.

Smith may be able to be a better manager of the party, and eventually be able to connect with voters, but he would not be allowed to get on with it without acrimony. His candidacy just allows all the old divisions to come to the fore, and his previous career is worrying.

Next time Labour tears itself apart, hopefully they will manage to bring forward a real unity candidate, someone who will be able to gain respect, and not get abuse from, the opposite side of the party.
But pigs will fly before that happens.

Am feeling very disenchanted, very let down by them all.
Friends I respect have left Labour before now and each time I wonder why. It's not my place to question your civic participation. However, if you can or want to will you please let me know if you're joining another political party? Our health, prosperity and environment are in the hands of elected representatives making decisions in government. Our system of political party affiliation and/or voting locally for an individual as an independent leave us with few options for gaining representation. We require society, government, to get through each day. What realistic choices do we have? I hope I've not offended anyone. It's not my intention. I'm wary about posting this at all - I don't question the integrity of your conscience - please know I know you're doing what you feel you must. I don't know how leaving Labour will help you. I question what the hell else we're supposed to do to realistically get our needs and wants met.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

No I'm not joining another party. Leaving will help me in the way I mentioned in a later post, by putting distance between myself and the conflict.

My family issues have reared their complicated head again, with the death of a much loved uncle.
I can't even send flowers because it will risk causing trouble for the cousin who phoned me to tell me the sad news. So, the Labour stuff presses my buttons. It is self protection against the feelings of lack of control. Avoidance yes, but protective too.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

yahyah

Meow,purr,purr,meow

CatSpeak if you're not aware.

"In Appreciation of Our Less Fortunate Feline Comrades"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Yep lack of control the biggie,you can only adapt your reactions to things you can't.We all have our way.Protect and Survive.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

This one looks like he's just eaten all your chicken.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cat+c ... EQ_AUIBigB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

:lol!: 7
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I'm able to respect, love and trust people I may fundamentally disagree with, it happens all the time.
Some people aren't trustworthy and I use my judgement appropriately protecting myself from them.
Most people are trustworthy at least most of the time.
Some few aren't trusty at their core and I leave them alone.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

citizenJA wrote: I question what the hell else we're supposed to do to realistically get our needs and wants met.
We get to vote once in a blue moon. That's about it. Depressing, isn't it? Still, a Bristol University student has invented a more environmentally friendly fake snow, which is really cool (well, I think so, anyway):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-36793380" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Agent 3.45recurring

"The Marx reading cats are advancing"
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

SpinningHugo wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:
Yes I did. I'll try to confine myself to posting links and asking for support for factual claims by others that are (I think) false. I won't respond to other things even if addressed to me by name if it will lead to upset.

Unfortunately however, I think the discord is mainly coming from strong disagreement. That is the politics of the left at the moment. Look what happened to TE. Pre-May 2015 it was, I think, fine.
Thanks for the reply. But I'm not sure that's quite what is needed.

As I said, this Forum is self policing. If other posters are commenting to you about your behaviour, rather than your opinions, it's essential you (and the rest of us at other moments) respond in a constructive way and acknowledge the damage done.

Otherwise we lose much valued members who have all helped build this forum over the years and we shouldn't let that happen.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

yahyah wrote:No I'm not joining another party. Leaving will help me in the way I mentioned in a later post, by putting distance between myself and the conflict.

My family issues have reared their complicated head again, with the death of a much loved uncle.
I can't even send flowers because it will risk causing trouble for the cousin who phoned me to tell me the sad news. So, the Labour stuff presses my buttons. It is self protection against the feelings of lack of control. Avoidance yes, but protective too.
You're my dear friend, yahyah, thank you for responding to me. Your health, family and flowers are every bit as important to me as my own. Please take care. How about some tea? Can you take any coffee or is coffee out? I'm out of baked goods. That's my fault. I must take better care.
:rock:
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

The moon is always blue here,maybe people are correct in their assertions I am living on other planet.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Think I've OD'd on the chicken.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Thanks JA.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

@PaulfromYorkshire & refitman
Thank you for your work here - yesterday (away from the computer) I realised flythenest doesn't spring up like an act of god(s) but requires diligent effort. I confess I don't remember that as often as I ought. I daily expect flythenest to be here. It's here, in part, through the time and expertise you put into it. Many thanks.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote: Can I just ask if you have received any emails from myself?

Thanks for the reply. But I'm not sure that's quite what is needed.

As I said, this Forum is self policing. If other posters are commenting to you about your behaviour, rather than your opinions, it's essential you (and the rest of us at other moments) respond in a constructive way and acknowledge the damage done.

Otherwise we lose much valued members who have all helped build this forum over the years and we shouldn't let that happen.

I am afraid the only 'constructive' thing that would satisfy those complaining would be that I went away.

If by "acknowledge the damage done" you mean that I acknowledge that I have been abusive or broken any rule of the forum, I am afraid I don't acknowledge that. Because I haven't. if by "acknowledge the damage done" you mean acknowledge that some would prefer me not to post as they don't like what I say, yes of course i acknowledge that.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

SpinningHugo wrote:
tinybgoat wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:
This MEN report is great

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... ar_twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The parish council seat detail is comedy gold.

Not a cult though.
But the love for Corbyn was, in that auditorium, off the chart. The Labour member stood next to me said she had seen nothing like it since the early days of Blair - a man who, it was pointed out to me last week, in 1996 was causing women to pass out in hysteria when he was out and about, Beatles-style.
Hang on, so Corbyn is the new Blair?
Hugo, have you decided to change approach with some subtle reverse psychology?
You do remember that all that adulation didn't in the end turn out all that well.

I am a Blairite, but I was as opposed to the Iraq war as anyone.

Hubris is what this adulation causes.

It really is no accident that Corbyn looks a lot happier now he is out campaigning with labour supporters. That is his comfort zone, not trying to lead MPs or converting middleground voters
Thanks for reply & sorry for delay in replying,
(got side tracked by a trip to an off-licence, and am now the proud temporary owner of a bottle of Austrian red)

Yes I remember & agree with a lot of what you've said,
It would for me (probably illogically) be one of the best reasons for not voting for Jeremy Corbyn,
in that a lot of support for him comes from hopes which probably won't get met
& in that in the event of him ever being PM, it could be (at best) be a big let down.

But seeing as he's unelectable, that's not really an issue. ;)

Should add fwiw I didn't vote for Corbyn last year, however the alternative at the moment isn't looking good,
I don't like their approach to leadership challenge, could go on, but it's basically same arguments as most others on ftn.
Off now to cook chilli to accompany aforementioned wine.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

I commented on whether a nasty comment about Smith was a bit harsh, and the response was to up the nasty insult further, and some people agreed with it.

There shouldn't be one rule for some, and a different rule for another.
We've been here before about Hugo.
I've never felt attacked by him personally, apart from something he said in general about Corbyn fans.

And, maybe the sore spot for some is that he was right in a general sense about Ed not making it to No 10. Much as I wanted to believe otherwise. Sometimes reality gives you a kick in the backside, no point ignoring it.
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

It's breaking my promise to myself not to respond, but Hugo's latest response demonstrates the true reason why he is correct is assuming that most people's ideal solution would be for him to go away forever. It has nothing to do with our apparent collective inability to understand and appreciate what he says, causing us to want to stop our ears up against hearing it, but rather everything to do with his narcissistic inability to comprehend that his incapacity to understand that other people have different opinions and may indeed resent being continually lectured by someone so convinced that his every word is the perfect truth, is beyond unproductive and a waste of everybody's time. Even now, he cannot understand in the least fraction how offensive his lack of engagement, his constant demeaning of others and his patronising 'just trying to comprehend why the stupid people think the stupid way they do' comes over.

I repeat: he is like a Manchester United supporter constantly raising and praising Manchester United on a Liverpool fan forum and bemused as to why his polite and swear-free explanations of why Manchester United are infinitely superior to Liverpool in every way possible are attracting opposition and condemnation. I mean, it's them that's abusing him, so what's he doing that's so wrong?
The truth ferret speaks!
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

I've read back over the weekend posts and - honestly - I can't see in any of Hugo's post any personal insults. He holds a different point of view to many here, that's all. Is it provocative to post a different view point to the main stream? Personally I don't think it is.
Tolerance is a wonderful word.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

yahyah wrote:
And, maybe the sore spot for some is that he was right in a general sense about Ed not making it to No 10. Much as I wanted to believe otherwise. .
Actually, of course, I was wrong about that (and right). From September 2010 until (about) April 2015 I was sure Labour would lose and a Tory/Lib Dem coalition returned, in large part because of poor Labour leadership. I then believed the polls and thought we'd have a minority Labour government. So I get no brownie points for predicting Labour defeat as I both did and didn't.

The conclusion I drew was the opposite of most members, who seem to have decided that you may as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb.

I did predict last year that electing a leader with not only no PLP support but the active hostility of many couldn't possibly work.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

yahyah wrote:I commented on whether a nasty comment about Smith was a bit harsh, and the response was to up the nasty insult further, and some people agreed with it.

There shouldn't be one rule for some, and a different rule for another.
We've been here before about Hugo.
I've never felt attacked by him personally, apart from something he said in general about Corbyn fans.

And, maybe the sore spot for some is that he was right in a general sense about Ed not making it to No 10. Much as I wanted to believe otherwise. Sometimes reality gives you a kick in the backside, no point ignoring it.
Thanks for this yahyah

Please understand when Dan and I are acting in the "Admin" role we're just trying to reflect the will of the Forum, not impose our own views.

I believe the Forum would like Hugo to stay around, but to acknowledge others' feelings more.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

PaulfromYorkshire wrote: I believe the Forum would like Hugo to stay around, but to acknowledge others' feelings more.
I'd just prefer it if he didn't just stick to one sodding subject!

I know I tend to post edu stories but I do post other things too - I even posted the PMIs the other day which I rather think that someone else used to post under "Actual news" back in the days (before he got banned).
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote: I believe the Forum would like Hugo to stay around
I've said before that I don't want SH around, and I don't mind saying it again.
Not because I find his posts insulting or patronising, although I can see why some people do, but because the only subject he wants to discuss is the labour leadership. Not everything in politics has to be seen through that prism.
I think most people here are concerned about labour infighting because it takes attention away from the tories and what they're up to. We shouldn't be doing the same thing here.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

How David Cameron’s Plan To Screw Labour Cost Him The EU Referendum

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/h ... referendum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Let's close this off for now then.

I think that the point I've been trying to make is that in a forum like this we should acknowledge others' feelings even when we don't agree with their views. Largely we do that and it keeps this place a reasonably civil place for debate.

Thanks all, Paul x
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Ok, so here is some actual news then

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/201 ... -hit-to-t/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That means around 40% of large purchases have been postponed because of the Brexit vote.

That is a disaster. The economy is about to go over a cliff unless the Tories are far more active with fiscal policy than they have shown any inclination to be in the past.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

SpinningHugo wrote:Ok, so here is some actual news then

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/201 ... -hit-to-t/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That means around 40% of large purchases have been postponed because of the Brexit vote.

That is a disaster. The economy is about to go over a cliff unless the Tories are far more active with fiscal policy than they have shown any inclination to be in the past.
Nah, that can't be right. Boris and Farage assured me that after the vote, we'd be in the land of milk & honey.
fedup59
Committee Member

Post by fedup59 »

refitman wrote:

Nah, that can't be right. Boris and Farage assured me that after the vote, we'd be in the land of milk & honey.
It's okay according to BBC news we're looking at a huge trade relationship with China once we're out of the EU.

Who knew pig seamen could be the start of something so grand.

Edited to correct semen - predictive text can make for some strange sentences.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

fedup59 wrote:
refitman wrote:

It's okay according to BBC news we're looking at a huge trade relationship with China once we're out of the EU.

Who knew pig seamen could be the start of something so grand.

Edited to correct semen - predictive text can make for some strange sentences.

For a moment there, I thought you were bullying and denigrating the whole of the mercantile marine. I nearly rang the Guardian.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

From 4 December 2011

Labour candidate 'tones down' £3m home and double-barrelled name to avoid losing votes
Read more:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z4FLqhqG00" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Suddenly a lot of old articles being dredged up. Pre Twitter days for me, so I think I missed a lot.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

And this is the best thing I read this weekend

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v38/n15/john-lanch ... exit-blues" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(Does refer to Corbyn but only in passing).
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

I often wonder what impact what politicians and others words have on people's behaviour - does saying "Hold on tight, there's going to be a recession" actually make it happen?
TR'sGhost
Minister of State

Post by TR'sGhost »

RobertSnozers wrote:Sorry about size, I can't actually resize pics on my ipad
Re-sizing is something that despite requests Apple seem not to feel the need to build in to the Photos app.

I find Crop-size does a good job of basic cropping and resizing.
http://www.cropsize.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Adobe's Photoshop Fix is also very useful, but it doesn't do re-sizing.
I'm getting tired of calming down....