Saturday 23 and Sunday 24 July 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 23 and Sunday 24 July 2016

Post by SpinningHugo »

RogerOThornhill wrote:I often wonder what impact what politicians and others words have on people's behaviour - does saying "Hold on tight, there's going to be a recession" actually make it happen?
It does, which is what will enable the Brexiteers to blame the Bremainers.

We'll be to blame for talking Britain down, or some such.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Boris Johnson rebuked for blaming Munich shooting on terrorists

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Dr Tanja Bueltmann
‏@scotsdiaspora
How dare you! You wanted Brexit. Erasmus an EU-funded progr: what did you think wld happen? http://shr.gs/kSSoPTN" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/692623 ... -programme" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

RobertSnozers wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:I've read back over the weekend posts and - honestly - I can't see in any of Hugo's post any personal insults. He holds a different point of view to many here, that's all. Is it provocative to post a different view point to the main stream? Personally I don't think it is.
Tolerance is a wonderful word.
Declining to debate with people on the basis that 'it isn't that kind of forum' insults us all, frankly. Hugo always keeps his posts superficially civil, but beneath that is often needling and provocation IMO.
Criticising me for failing to write essays (which is what is required) on why Corbyn's proposals on Big Pharma were daft (which essentially McDonnell acknowledged by claiming he had been misinterpreted this morning) AND why we need to bring back work councils (as Smith proposes) isn't reasonable. Nobody else is expected to produce these lengthy proofs (which would then be dismissed).

Disagreeing isn't 'provocation'.

I came back on to this board because I could not (and still can't) understand why *intelligent people that I respect* could possible support Corbyn. If you remember I asked, without doubt too often, how it was expected that this now turned out well for the Labour party. I still don;t get it. If I really did hold everyone here in contempt, as you suppose, why bother?
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

The Petitions Committee has decided to schedule a House of Commons debate on this petition. The debate will take place on 5 September at 4.30pm in Westminster Hall, the second debating chamber of the House of Commons. The debate will be opened by Ian Blackford MP.

The Committee has decided that the huge number of people signing this petition means that it should be debated by MPs. The Petitions Committee would like to make clear that, in scheduling this debate, they are not supporting the call for a second referendum. The debate will allow MPs to put forward a range of views on behalf of their constituents. At the end of the debate, a Government Minister will respond to the points raised.

A debate in Westminster Hall does not have the power to change the law, and won’t end with the House of Commons deciding whether or not to have a second referendum. Moreover, the petition – which was opened on 25 May, well before the referendum – calls for the referendum rules to be changed. It is now too late for the rules to be changed retrospectively. It will be up to the Government to decide whether it wants to start the process of agreeing a new law for a second referendum.

The Petitions Committee is a cross-party group of MPs. It is independent from Government. You can find out more about the Committee on its website: http://www.parliament.uk/petitions-committee/role" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://breturn.rocks/2016/07/13/second ... eferendum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

SpinningHugo wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:I've read back over the weekend posts and - honestly - I can't see in any of Hugo's post any personal insults. He holds a different point of view to many here, that's all. Is it provocative to post a different view point to the main stream? Personally I don't think it is.
Tolerance is a wonderful word.
Declining to debate with people on the basis that 'it isn't that kind of forum' insults us all, frankly. Hugo always keeps his posts superficially civil, but beneath that is often needling and provocation IMO.
Criticising me for failing to write essays (which is what is required) on why Corbyn's proposals on Big Pharma were daft (which essentially McDonnell acknowledged by claiming he had been misinterpreted this morning) AND why we need to bring back work councils (as Smith proposes) isn't reasonable. Nobody else is expected to produce these lengthy proofs (which would then be dismissed).

Disagreeing isn't 'provocation'.

I came back on to this board because I could not (and still can't) understand why *intelligent people that I respect* could possible support Corbyn. If you remember I asked, without doubt too often, how it was expected that this now turned out well for the Labour party. I still don;t get it. If I really did hold everyone here in contempt, as you suppose, why bother?
You are not allowed to criticise the Messiah , OK ? :)

if I disagree with you I'll say so, if I feel like it ... otherwise I can scroll past !

My osteopath told me to drink plenty of water, so I'm off to take some 95% water = beer .
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

I've said my piece and as far as I'm concerned, Hugo's latest post simply sums up every truth in what I said. Now I shall shut up again.
The truth ferret speaks!
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Geraint Davies: A second EU referendum should – and will – happen. Here’s why

http://labourlist.org/2016/07/geraint-d ... ns-future/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Beware the "majority view" line and proclamation of speaking for others.It may be the perceived view by reading posts from those who shout the loudest or rally around for what they see as injury to others.Some of us keep quiet in public but work behind the scenes trying to iron out difficulties because they are caught in that thing that they don't want to sever built up relationships or being perceived as betraying because they are looking from a different perspective.My basic instinct from childhood is that regardless if I like the guy or not an instant greeting of "fuck off hugo" and the classmates jumping on him ,even if he is the most annoying kid in the block ,is wrong.Even if it the majority view,no one has the right to speak for me,I am be an arsehole but arseholes are equally entitled to a view,even if it deemed somehow less worthy because I cant articulate it with sufficient rigour to the satisfaction of some.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

TBH Hugo's canutesque determination to beat the same drum over and over and over amuses me. It's not that I disagree with his analysis given his starting point - it is eminintly logical - however, the starting point is so lacking in awareness of the current situation that the logical progression leads nowhere relevant. It's like Eric Morcambe playing the right notes but not in the right order.

It's not just Hugo; there is, amongst the centrists in British politics, an abject failure to recognise the world is changing faster and more unpredictably than at any point in the last 40 years; a desperate clinging to past certainties that are no longer certain: Brexit, Trump, Corbyn winning last year, and again this year, Cameron gone, economy going over a cliff, labour party up to 600k. 18 months ago nobody would have believed we would be in this situation. Indeed, I was attacked on here for suggesting some of them, I saidd Corbyn would win last year; I pointed out Brexit was going to win, even that Trump would be nominated - still don't think he can win though, and that terrifies me almost as much as him winning. I was laughed at, told I was delusional and one by one they have all happened.

I'm not Nostradamus, but I can see when history is in flux, when all those processes merge and something new comes out of it. I say again we are in one of those times now. Corbyn is Labour's only hope to survive and create a mass movement - another point I made over a year ago here which was scorned, but hey ho.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

HindleA wrote:Beware the "majority view" line and proclamation of speaking for others.It may be the perceived view by reading posts from those who shout the loudest or rally around for what they see as injury to others.Some of us keep quiet in public but work behind the scenes trying to iron out difficulties because they are caught in that thing that they don't want to sever built up relationships or being perceived as betraying because they are looking from a different perspective.My basic instinct from childhood is that regardless if I like the guy or not an instant greeting of "fuck off hugo" and the classmates jumping on him ,even if he is the most annoying kid in the block ,is wrong.Even if it the majority view,no one has the right to speak for me,I am be an arsehole but arseholes are equally entitled to a view,even if it deemed somehow less worthy because I cant articulate it with sufficient rigour to the satisfaction of some.
Thanks for this post. Members have contacted Refitman and me raising concerns about the atmosphere in the Forum. How do you suggest we deal with that?
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
HindleA wrote:Beware the "majority view" line and proclamation of speaking for others.It may be the perceived view by reading posts from those who shout the loudest or rally around for what they see as injury to others.Some of us keep quiet in public but work behind the scenes trying to iron out difficulties because they are caught in that thing that they don't want to sever built up relationships or being perceived as betraying because they are looking from a different perspective.My basic instinct from childhood is that regardless if I like the guy or not an instant greeting of "fuck off hugo" and the classmates jumping on him ,even if he is the most annoying kid in the block ,is wrong.Even if it the majority view,no one has the right to speak for me,I am be an arsehole but arseholes are equally entitled to a view,even if it deemed somehow less worthy because I cant articulate it with sufficient rigour to the satisfaction of some.
Thanks for this post. Members have contacted Refitman and me raising concerns about the atmosphere in the Forum. How do you suggest we deal with that?
How about we all try to read posts in a "soft voice" and with a smile on our face, without preconceptions?
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

A sentiment I can agree with.... :lol:

bill ‏@kingbill73 12h12 hours ago
Farage says he's will not be given a peerage because the 'establishment' don't like him. I wouldn't let him sit in our cat litter tray.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Top marks to the person who put the plaque on Boris's house
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TR'sGhost
Minister of State

Post by TR'sGhost »

RogerOThornhill wrote:I often wonder what impact what politicians and others words have on people's behaviour - does saying "Hold on tight, there's going to be a recession" actually make it happen?
Remember the bank panic and instant U-turn circa 2010 when Cameron went on TV and said the country is massively in debt, so people should be helping the country out by paying off their loans asap?

To be followed by a handbrake U-turn when the banks pointed out that early payment=less interest charged which was exactly what wouldn't help them in the least right now. Nor would people ceasing to buy stuff or take out loans be helpful and would the PM please shut up before he makes things much, much worse.

Looking back, it was an early indication of how thoughtless, superficial, error-prone and reckless Cameron was and is.
I'm getting tired of calming down....
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

AngryAsWell wrote:Dr Tanja Bueltmann
‏@scotsdiaspora
How dare you! You wanted Brexit. Erasmus an EU-funded progr: what did you think wld happen? http://shr.gs/kSSoPTN" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/692623 ... -programme" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That (story from the express) is literally sickeningly disingenuous. Our press is evil.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

To overly paraphrase Yes Minister, it's one of those irregular verbs - I am calling attention to the flaws in your plans, he is talking down the economy, they are treacherously damaging Britain with their negativity.
I still believe in a town called Hope
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I met an old lady from Sunderland in the bus station today.

She voted to remain for her grandchildren she said.

She was nice.

I lived in Sunderland for a few years and asked about some of the places I used to know and she told me they were all better.

Even pubs like the Ivy House.

The whole area thriving now because of EU money funneled through the university.

Stupid bastards.