Saturday 23 and Sunday 24 July 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Saturday 23 and Sunday 24 July 2016

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Morning campers
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Re: Saturday 23 and Sunday 24 July 2016

Post by mbc1955 »

Morning all.

I won't be about today, am visiting That London.

Have fun and apoplexies without me.
The truth ferret speaks!
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

German-born "Iranian gunman" shouts "I am German" and "Yeah, I was born here".

Police say motive "unclear".

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/ ... ing-attack" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In another article https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/ ... ng-germany Hollande describes the Munich attack as terrorism, which it may well not be.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Have a good day in London mbc.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Meanwhile, a reminder of why we need a functioning, united, and effective Labour party, to make sure a little lad like this get the treatment he needs.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales ... r-11650079" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Looked at Richard Murphy first thing this morning, he covers the ground quite well

http://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2016 ... abour-now/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

his BTL comment --
What I do know is that Jeremy et al are hopeless managers at almost any level. I genuinely wish it was otherwise . I am deeply disappointed by what has happened

But I remain committed to the ideas and do want a government committed to a mixed economy and much more than nationalisation of the natural monopolies
Steve Richards imagined another intriguing possibility, which just shows no-one can think of everything --
Every single Labour heavyweight could offer to serve on the front bench, perform well in parliament – the arena where they are strong, and become assertive in the shadow cabinet by sheer force of experience and political talent. These are figures shaped by ministerial experience, the highs of victory, the trauma of defeat.

Such a front bench under a leader obliged to compromise and perhaps willing to go of his own volition later in the parliament could not be worse for anyone all than the current nightmare, in which all are trapped and with virtually no room to navigate. It might even be a little better. Call it a Third Way.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... owen-smith" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I see that Smith is also using the anti-Semitism thing to hit Corbyn with, which strongly hints to me that he's a slimy bit of work . I had really hoped he was more honest than that , and worth voting for, but if I had a vote, which I don't, I'd now be thinking of abstaining/ spoiling the ballot paper :)

My own response as a Labour poly to that whole A-S situation would have been :

" Someone said something really silly, it happens, that's my last word on the subject ! "

If the journo came back on it, I'd get myself headlines by telling it to Fuck Off .

( With a dismissive smile, of course !)

Market day, off to town, perhaps to buy a yesterday's English paper.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

The first part of this is worth reading, I was interested in her train of thought, not too sure about the confidence in Smith at the end though.
http://www.lizmcinnesmp.org.uk/owen2016" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Following the referendum result, I learnt of the motion of no confidence in Jeremy Corbyn because of his handling of the Remain campaign. I was furious. At a time when as a Labour Party we should have been taking the Government to task over the fallout from a referendum which they had called, we had instead chosen to create divisions amongst our own party.

I made my feelings clear at the meeting of the Parliamentary Labour Party on the Monday following the referendum result. I said that I didn’t blame Jeremy for the Brexit vote and I still don’t. I actually agreed with his message that the EU isn’t perfect, but that we were better off remaining members with the ability to influence from within, rather than standing outside with no influence and facing an uncertain future.

I said that in my opinion, the people of the UK were receiving a mixed message from the Labour Party because a minority of our MPs had chosen to appear on platforms with the likes of Nigel Farage and Boris Johnson, prominently on TV hustings, and one even on a boat with Nigel Farage during the ridiculous Thames flotilla. It’s not surprising, given these antics, that the public were confused about Labour’s message.

I voted against the motion of no confidence in Jeremy’s leadership. However, 172 of my colleagues, 80% of the Parliamentary Labour Party, from all wings of the party, voted for it. I fully expected Jeremy to stand down because of such an overwhelming result. If I had received a vote of no confidence of that magnitude as a Union Rep, or as a Councillor, then I would have stepped aside.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Jamie AngusVerified account
‏@grvlx001
Corbyn will elaborate his plan to scrap tax relief scheme for drugs research by pharma companies - McDonnell #r4today

Did anyone hear this? (I missed it) it seems too far off the wall to be true. Medical R&D is taking a big hit from loss of EU funding so I find it hard to understand why they would think hitting them again will help anyone. Thankfully I don't need regular drug help, but if I had MS, parkinsons, alzheimer's , cancer or other degenerative conditions I would be very worried by this. (if true?)
Last edited by AngryAsWell on Sat 23 Jul, 2016 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Must admit I thought like that (re the conclusion by McInnes) at the time too.

But in retrospect it might be that JC did the right thing in stubbornly hanging on, even if you don't support him. In particular had he stepped down right away, the myth (and it *is* a myth, as she says) that he was primarily responsible for Brexit would have become irretrievably entrenched.

And that would have been a rewriting of history that is monstrous even by present day standards.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Vordy
Backbencher

Post by Vordy »

Good Morning All. :popcorn:

Owen Smith is not a very nice man,IMHO.Watch out,he might sue me.

Here’s why Owen Smith really shouldn’t kick up a fuss about bullying

Source:

http://voxpoliticalonline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

For what it is worth, Smith has stated that the likes of McTernan are not "helping" his campaign (as opposed to some recent claims)
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Must admit I thought like that (re the conclusion by McInnes) at the time too.

But in retrospect it might be that JC did the right thing in stubbornly hanging on, even if you don't support him. In particular had he stepped down right away, the myth (and it *is* a myth, as she says) that he was primarily responsible for Brexit would have become irretrievably entrenched.

And that would have been a rewriting of history that is monstrous even by present day standards.
As so often, you are attacking a strawman.

Who has said that Corbyn was "primarily responsible'? Link me to someone saying that.

Nobody thinks that.

What is said is that some (many?) on Corbyn's team were Brexiters (Milne). Corbyn's peformance during the campaign was woeful. There are strong grounds to think that he himself wanted Brexit, not least his call immediately after the result for an immediate invocation of article 50.

So, the undermining of the Remain campaign by Corbyn's leadership of the party *contributed* to the result. Nobody says it was the prime cause.

Those of us who disagree with the result of the referendum also think it is important that the Labour party is led by someone who is pro-EU. That is more important than ever.

of course Corbyn should have resigned. The idea that anybody at all believed such a myth, or was in danger of doing so, is a joke.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

SpinningHugo wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:Must admit I thought like that (re the conclusion by McInnes) at the time too.

As so often, you are attacking a strawman.

Who has said that Corbyn was "primarily responsible'? Link me to someone saying that.

Nobody thinks that.

What is said is that some (many?) on Corbyn's team were Brexiters (Milne). Corbyn's peformance during the campaign was woeful. There are strong grounds to think that he himself wanted Brexit, not least his call immediately after the result for an immediate invocation of article 50.

So, the undermining of the Remain campaign by Corbyn's leadership of the party *contributed* to the result. Nobody says it was the prime cause.

Those of us who disagree with the result of the referendum also think it is important that the Labour party is led by someone who is pro-EU. That is more important than ever.

of course Corbyn should have resigned. The idea that anybody at all believed such a myth, or was in danger of doing so, is a joke.
It's kind of hard to do that, when numerous Labour MPs are briefing the press as "senior figures" or "unnamed MPs".
One Labour MP said that Corbyn and Shadow Chancellor John McDonnell had failed to grasp that fears over unlimited migration from the EU was the big issue of the referendum, as well as a sense of patriotism.

“The EU referendum simply shone a light on how utterly out of touch Corbyn and McDonnell are with so many traditional Labour voters outside of London,” the MP said.

“Jeremy made the biggest issue of concern for traditional Labour voters thinking of voting Leave - ie the impact of freedom of movement - his almost sole reason why Britain should remain. It was a sort of political suicide of genius proportions.”

Another Labour MP said that they feared that a snap general election would be called by the Tories to exploit Labour’s weakness, and up to 60 seats could be lost in a landslide. “Seats with majorities of more than 7,000 could go,” the MP said.
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/j ... 2d331da41b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oh, and it seems that Corbyn did more campaigning than almost all the other Labour MPs combined. It was what, 163 appearances? If you want to throw brickbats, try Benn, try Johnson.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Sorry but you are wrong (again) SH. There are even direct quotes from Labour MPs saying they blamed Corbyn for Brexit!

There is certainly a case that JC is a hopeless leader and should go ASAP. But the behaviour of so much of the PLP in the INSTANT aftermath of the referendum, when the focus of all should have been on government chaos, was unforgivably short sighted and self indulgent. Dealing with Jez could have been done just a bit later.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Vordy wrote:Good Morning All. :popcorn:

Source:

Thanks for the Mike Sivier link . More confirmation of the thought that OSmith is not our cup of tea ...

Like Iraq, the Labour record on the WCA is another bloody albatross many of them are still lumbered with .
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Cn_A-RKXgAAdpDP.jpg
Cn_A-RKXgAAdpDP.jpg (86.68 KiB) Viewed 8274 times
jolly_angelina ‏@jolly_angelina 19h19 hours ago
Rediscovering some gems ..
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... ry-clinton" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hillary Clinton names Virginia senator Tim Kaine as her running mate
Former Virginia governor, a moderate Democrat representing key battleground state, announced as Clinton’s VP pick ahead of party convention next week
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

SpinningHugo wrote:So, the undermining of the Remain campaign by Corbyn's leadership of the party *contributed* to the result. Nobody says it was the prime cause.

No, the undermining of the Remain campaign was done by the woeful handling of immigration and the impact of it over the past 6 years by the Tory Party and the continual pushing of the "tens of thousands" net migration target despite it being plainly obvious to anyone with a brain that it couldn't possibly be met.

Saying "of course Corbyn should have resigned" over the result since he was (i) not been in government for 6 years and (ii) not responsible for the referendum being called, is just ludicrous.

But hey, great to see you here again pushing your only topic of conversation...

:roll:
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

frog222 wrote:

Source:

Thanks for the Mike Sivier link . More confirmation of the thought that OSmith is not our cup of tea ...

Like Iraq, the Labour record on the WCA is another bloody albatross many of them are still lumbered with .
There were quite a few posts on this early last year, even though I'm not a fan of Smith I remain skeptical over the original claim by the lady in question. search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keyw ... za+Van+Zyl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Ungreat.

Doubleplusungreat.

Akshully.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

CoCqbBWWcAA4fKm.jpg
CoCqbBWWcAA4fKm.jpg (61.78 KiB) Viewed 8233 times
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
Ukip’s most high-profile donor, Arron Banks, has given further hints that he may start a new political party, inspired by Italy’s populist Five Star Movement, which recently won several significant electoral victories.

The multimillionaire businessman is prevented from running for the leadership of Ukip, after the resignation of his close friend Nigel Farage, by party rules which state any new leader must have been a member for five years.

The rules also bar high-profile Ukip politicians including the party’s only MP, Douglas Carswell, and its former MP, Mark Reckless. Frontrunners for the role are MEPs Jonathan Arnott and Steven Woolfe.(Guardian)
Funny rules. Is anyone here au fait with them?

(And I'm guessing that the "high profile" politicians thing is not, per se, in the rule-book and that "high profile" is simply the Guardian's description of Douglas Carswell and Mark Reckless. But I've really no idea.)

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... -new-party

Edited to add -

I'm further guessing (re DC and MR) that it's all to do with the 5 year membership rule.
Last edited by PorFavor on Sat 23 Jul, 2016 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I could get a vote for nothing,have done for years and could do for the rest of my or the Party's existence,don't ask me how exactly they came about because I don't fully understand it myself,I am putting it down as some sort of MI5 operation.

Agent 2345
thatchersorphan
Committee Chair

Post by thatchersorphan »

RobertSnozers wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:
German-born "Iranian gunman" shouts "I am German" and "Yeah, I was born here".

Police say motive "unclear".

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/ ... ing-attack" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In another article https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/ ... ng-germany Hollande describes the Munich attack as terrorism, which it may well not be.
As ever, it depends on what you mean by terrorism. He also, apparently, shouted 'f***ing Turks'.

Am wondering how much attention will focus on the word 'Iranian'.
I was watching twitter after the press release -and lots. Were also a lot of tweets from right-wingers claiming he'd only been in germany 2 years(with calls to ban refugees, and immigrants), along with continuing fake footage. South Africa mall and Trafford Centre training excercise were 2 of them.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

TobyLatimer wrote:
frog222 wrote:

Source:

There were quite a few posts on this early last year, even though I'm not a fan of Smith I remain skeptical over the original claim by the lady in question. search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keyw ... za+Van+Zyl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That Smith toed the woeful Party line on WCA is understandable ... and maybe the mention, or threat, to Mike of solicitors was just a bad joke ?
thatchersorphan
Committee Chair

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-12-16/l ... oa/5158680" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; More on McTernan, though abc were the only mainstream news to do an article on it
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/3 ... inese-mall" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

World's 'saddest' polar bear kept in Chinese mall
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

frog222 wrote:
TobyLatimer wrote:
frog222 wrote: Thanks for the Mike Sivier link . More confirmation of the thought that OSmith is not our cup of tea ...

That Smith toed the woeful Party line on WCA is understandable ... and maybe the mention, or threat, to Mike of solicitors was just a bad joke ?
Not another bad joke? Hasn't Mike Sivier got a grown-up he can be reported to?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

'Northern powerhouse' minister to create elected Sheffield mayor
Andrew Percy says move devolves power away from Westminster but Labour says promised funding is not new money
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://speye.wordpress.com/2016/07/23/ ... nefit-tax/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Tory sheltered housing benefit tax
92% of sheltered housing in Merseyside is unaffordable due to the Tories sheltered housing benefit tax and pensioners will have to find up to £77.74 per week from their state pension just to pay the rent.
Maeght
Committee Chair

Post by Maeght »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Sorry but you are wrong (again) SH. There are even direct quotes from Labour MPs saying they blamed Corbyn for Brexit!

There is certainly a case that JC is a hopeless leader and should go ASAP. But the behaviour of so much of the PLP in the INSTANT aftermath of the referendum, when the focus of all should have been on government chaos, was unforgivably short sighted and self indulgent. Dealing with Jez could have been done just a bit later.
This is exactly how I feel Anatoly.

I just can't forgive those members of the PLP who were so selfish and blinkered that they couldn't put the country's needs above their own hatred for someone they apparently despised - because he had different opinions.

I agree that the management of everything has been poor since last September . Who knows who is most to blame? I've just given up trying to decide.
I imagine there wasn't much help offered right from the very beginning .

How on earth we get out of the current dire situation I have no idea.
thatchersorphan
Committee Chair

Munich gunman 'had link to Anders Breivik', Norway killer http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36874497" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yesterday was the 5 year anniversary of Breivik attack
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

HindleA wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... are_btn_tw

'Northern powerhouse' minister to create elected Sheffield mayor
Andrew Percy says move devolves power away from Westminster but Labour says promised funding is not new money
I was becoming accustomed to hearing it pronounced "Northern powce". I suppose I shall adjust . . . .
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Theresa May 'to replace Downing Street artworks with framed quotations of her own speech'
The change is intended to remind staff of the need to deliver results in tackling inequality and improving the lives of the worst-off

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 52106.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I find this hilarious ...
thatchersorphan
Committee Chair

Conflict News ‏@Conflicts 13h13 hours ago MORE: No signs of accomplices; Three men were questioned after fleeing scene but found to be innocent: Police Chief Andrae.

Media including Daily Mail were spreading pictures of the arrested men. I do hope they'll now make it clear that the men were not connected with the shooting http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... mailonline" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

So what's it to be?

Corbinystas and Owenistas, or Corbynites and Smithites ....
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Sorry but you are wrong (again) SH. There are even direct quotes from Labour MPs saying they blamed Corbyn for Brexit!

Well if you are right that there was a 'myth' that was 'in danger of taking hold' that Corbyn was *primarily responsible* for Brexit, it should be the work of a moment for you (or anyone else) to produce these direct quotes saying exactly that.

I await with interest.

Please note that your claim that such an obviously ridiculous myth was taking hold is quite quite different from saying Corbyn's appalling behaviour was a contributing cause. That is of course true and should be uncontroversial for anyone who followed the campaign. That doesn't make him 'primarily responsible' of course, anymore than any individual who voted for Brexit was herself primarily responsible.

My claim is that nobody (save perhaps some loon on a messageboard somewhere) has ever said such a stupid thing as you claim.

Should be easy to refute me.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

RogerOThornhill wrote: Saying "of course Corbyn should have resigned" over the result since he was (i) not been in government for 6 years and (ii) not responsible for the referendum being called, is just ludicrous.
That is not a fair reading of what I said.

He should of course have resigned when 80% of the PLP gave him a vote of no confidence, as Miliband said. You cannot run an effective opposition like that.

I would be astonished if you did not agree with me (indeed I am sure you do).

Rifitman -

Similarly, you're unattributed quote says nothing remotely supporting AK's claim.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

CoDJTk2XEAAOGEx.jpg
CoDJTk2XEAAOGEx.jpg (84.41 KiB) Viewed 8066 times
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

SpinningHugo wrote:
Yeah, it is. That entire post was about the referendum.

Maybe you should go back and read it again.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Briefcase Michael ‏@BriefcaseMike 2h2 hours ago

Have I got this right? If I were to sit here in my living room and send an abusive tweet to a Labour MP that would be the fault of Corbyn?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Words like "unedifying" and "unpleasant" don’t even begin to describe the campaign that the British establishment have undertaken to destroy Jeremy Corbyn. Try "sinister" and "malevolent" and "venomous" instead.

http://m.heraldscotland.com/opinion/146 ... ref=twtrec" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... CMP=twt_gu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Prince George birthday snap prompts RSPCA ice-cream warning
Animal welfare groups express concern over image showing three-year-old feeding chocolate-covered ice-cream to pet spaniel
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Jane Hersey ‏@HerseyJane 4h4 hours ago

To the 40 female MPs who accuse #Corbyn supporters of abuse. How do they know these are supporters and not RW trolls?
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Blimey. If ANATOLY is being lectured at for being beastly to Corbyn, I think I'm done.
Lost Soul
Committee Chair

Post by Lost Soul »

ohsocynical wrote:Jane Hersey ‏@HerseyJane 4h4 hours ago

To the 40 female MPs who accuse #Corbyn supporters of abuse. How do they know these are supporters and not RW trolls?
Oh good grief Charlie Brown ! :smack:
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

NonOxCol wrote:Blimey. If ANATOLY is being lectured at for being beastly to Corbyn, I think I'm done.

Ha! Courage, mon brave.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

CoDHxMyWgAA5YtE.jpg
CoDHxMyWgAA5YtE.jpg (33.67 KiB) Viewed 7562 times
CoDHxMyWgAA5YtE.jpg
CoDHxMyWgAA5YtE.jpg (33.67 KiB) Viewed 7562 times
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Oops. Two for the price of one :lol:
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:
Yeah, it is. That entire post was about the referendum.

Maybe you should go back and read it again.
And maybe you should read the post I was replying to.