Thursday 28 July 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Thursday 28 July 2016

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/bre ... 57761.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

suggests an informed cross-section of society might act more coherently than an entire uniformed society democracy wise (ie: jury model for democratic functioning).

Trouble is the informed cross-section might end up being experts, and now we've got Britain back (until it breaks up) we don't have much time for experts in these 'ere parts. only dragons.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday 28 July 2016

Post by tinyclanger2 »

And of course:
Mornin'
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

And moreover:
despicable

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... 30-workers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

I'll make this brief.

Last night, someone took it upon themselves to apologise for something I posted here. I take responsibility for what I say and no-one has any right to apologise for me. This is not a place where I can feel free to speak my mind now.

I shalln't be posting for some time.
The truth ferret speaks!
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Am going to speak my mind:
I get mildly irritated every single time someone says they're not going to post here.
Why not just not post?
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Hehe, exactly my sentiment, but I didn't want to seem aggressive towards mbc. Back for a few days and I've seen several flounces already.

Back to bizness.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Just reposting from last night

https://www.unison.org.uk/news/article/ ... sultation/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We are canvassing views from all UNISON members opted into the UNISON Affiliated Political Fund (APF)

http://research.unison.org.uk/s3/2016-0 ... ship-Email" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

error post .
Last edited by frog222 on Thu 28 Jul, 2016 9:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

frog222 wrote:Hehe, exactly my sentiment, but I didn't want to seem aggressive towards mbc. Back for a few days and I've seen several flounces already.

Back to bizness.
Indeed is not meant to be aggressive to anyone - and will miss mbc's interesting contributions. But that I suppose is at the heart of my irritation.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

https://www.theguardian.com/media/green ... rexit-vote" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Europe's "widespread lack of enthusiasm" for Brexit vote
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

frog222 wrote:Hehe, exactly my sentiment, very mild irritation too, but I didn't want to seem aggressive towards mbc. Back for a few days and I've seen several flounces already.

Back to bizness.
Are you on the 'bus again (double post)?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
Lost Soul
Committee Chair

Post by Lost Soul »

Good morning.
What've I missed ?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@tinyclanger2

Will you also be speaking your weight?
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Posted upstream by accident .
frog222 wrote:TC2 -- response to your link last night

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... cross-left" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Lewis is a likable performer and – as might be expected from as a former political correspondent for the BBC – comfortable in front of a camera. One of his more controversial positions – opposition to Trident – is given credibility by his military background as an army reservist infantry officer, serving a tour of duty in Afghanistan in 2009. Lewis could be Labour’s Barack Obama. ( I find him far more interesting, and he is far from a Chicago politician ... frog333)

He might not be inclined to run against Jeremy Corbyn, but the shrewdest move Corbyn could make would be to drop out of the race and endorse Lewis. While some members of the PLP might be unhappy with Lewis’s left-wing politics, his overall appeal would make him difficult to oppose."
http://www.jomec.co.uk/blog/who-can-sol ... #more-3427" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Intro interview as new MP --

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/so ... -next-left" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He definitely has 100% more 'oomph' than JC , a forceful speaker. Maiden speech --

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Post referendum, on alliances etc --

Going back to Hugo's Wren- Lewis link from Tuesday
"Another consequence of a bad defeat in 2020 is that the left within Labour will again lose its influence for a generation. Defeat and a divided party will not be the springboard on which a successor to Corbyn, such as those mentioned by Justin Lewis here, ( examples ; Lewis, Nandy -- second link above ) can win. Ironically their chances if Owen Smith wins in 2016, then reverts to the pre-2015 strategy and fails are much better. Keeping Corbyn until 2020 simply delays the date of his departure, with nothing achieved and much lost in the meantime."
https://mainlymacro.blogspot.fr/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'd back Clive Lewis against Owen Smith any day .
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

frog222 wrote:TC2 -- response to your link last night

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... cross-left" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Lewis is a likable performer and – as might be expected from as a former political correspondent for the BBC – comfortable in front of a camera. One of his more controversial positions – opposition to Trident – is given credibility by his military background as an army reservist infantry officer, serving a tour of duty in Afghanistan in 2009. Lewis could be Labour’s Barack Obama. ( I find him far more interesting, and he is far from a Chicago politician ... frog333)

He might not be inclined to run against Jeremy Corbyn, but the shrewdest move Corbyn could make would be to drop out of the race and endorse Lewis. While some members of the PLP might be unhappy with Lewis’s left-wing politics, his overall appeal would make him difficult to oppose."
http://www.jomec.co.uk/blog/who-can-sol ... #more-3427" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Intro interview as new MP --

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/so ... -next-left" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He definitely has 100% more 'oomph' than JC , a forceful speaker. Maiden speech --

Post referendum, on alliances etc --

Going back to Hugo's Wren- Lewis link from Tuesday
"Another consequence of a bad defeat in 2020 is that the left within Labour will again lose its influence for a generation. Defeat and a divided party will not be the springboard on which a successor to Corbyn, such as those mentioned by Justin Lewis here, ( examples ; Lewis, Nandy -- second link above ) can win. Ironically their chances if Owen Smith wins in 2016, then reverts to the pre-2015 strategy and fails are much better. Keeping Corbyn until 2020 simply delays the date of his departure, with nothing achieved and much lost in the meantime."
https://mainlymacro.blogspot.fr/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'd back Clive Lewis against Owen Smith any day .
Clive Lewis does seem to be getting a higher media exposure recently. I've thought (guessed?) for a while that he's the one most likely to be the follow on from Corbyn prior to 2020.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
frog222 wrote:Hehe, exactly my sentiment, but I didn't want to seem aggressive towards mbc. Back for a few days and I've seen several flounces already.

Back to bizness.
Indeed is not meant to be aggressive to anyone - and will miss mbc's interesting contributions. But that I suppose is at the heart of my irritation.
Yes - the place is diminished when people leave. I'm missing rebeccariots2, for instance.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

PorFavor wrote:@tinyclanger2

Will you also be speaking your weight?
Not until the new exercise regime's kicked in.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Perhaps just post links and switch off into the wonderful World of utter bewilderment for a while?Alternatively hanging upside in a cupboard pretending to be a bat,making faces at yourself in the mirror,walking backwards reciting your favourite poem or having deep philosophical discussions with your favourite lettuce.I find useful,not for all.of course.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Early General Election?

Tim Bale says she'll go for it in Spring/Summer next year

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/5cfc3134-540a ... z4FOzzC7g1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have my doubts, but if the polls stay as they are the temptation would be huge.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

I do not think that it is right to express a person's wish to disengage from this forum as "flouncing".
For those who do, I suppose I must be an occasional flouncer.
Obviously, I don't see it that way.

Over some time, and usually whenever Labour or the left generally is in some sort of crisis or another, this forum is treated to a visitation from a poster who is, in my opinion, a concern troll. I and others have complained about this.
The usual form, which happens every time, is what we have had here for the past few weeks; that form involves what mbc1955 identified as "agent provocateur" type behaviour, with hundreds of posts on the same subject in tedious circular arguments.

Invariably, there is at least one comment that goes too far (this time a deeply offensive Niemoller reference) and people complain. Rightly. Then there are non-apology apologies, and denials of any offence meant with an underlying impression of persecution.
Then we get a few days' respite, upon which it starts all over again. Over the past few days, exactly the same routine - with a plea from our lovely admin people for the poster to behave or be asked to leave. Cue "I never said/did anything" as usual.

This Daily Politics forum has thus become the Spinning Hugo Show at times, and it's very tedious. I absolutely understand why people go away.
Those who said yesterday that Spinning Hugo had not said anything particularly offensive in yesterdays' thread were right - but that does not let him off the hook for the many many occasions when he has chosen to patronise, denigrate, and insult when it suits. Just because he does that in civilised language without resorting to profanity does not render his nastier posts less unpleasant.

It has also become a place where not much other than the Labour leadership is discussed, and that in itself has caused arguments.
Yesterday, yahyah quite rightly made the point that we shouldn't be attributing things to Owen Smith that he doesn't say; I agree, and the same should also be said for Corbyn. It is obvious that we are not all in agreement (echo chamber, anyone?) but generally we get along.
I am inclined to the view that, although things are a bit fraught right now, we would not be "flouncing" as some would have it if there was less goading from one particular poster - and I know for a fact that I am not the only person who feels this way.

So for those here who regard me as a "flouncer", feel free - but I have been here since the forum was founded and I have seen this happen too many times for it to be purely down to what is a difficult time for us all.

Thanks to all who have sent me personal messages - I appreciate it more than you know.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
Swarthlander
Committee Chair

Post by Swarthlander »

PorFavor wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:

Back to bizness.
Yes - the place is diminished when people leave. I'm missing rebeccariots2, for instance.

Oh well,
I post very seldom now. I do read every day though.

To me, FTN isn't as friendly/tolerant as it once was and FTN appears to be one directional. There are many more 'angry' posts than there used to be. The debates/discussions tend to be edged instead of being respectful of other's opinion.

It's the written word lacking emotion I suppose. Maybe the passion in folk makes them misunderstand each other. :?

Anyway, Good morning. :D
"A lack of compassion is as vulgar as an excess of tears"
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Ephe 8.16-- the simplest way not to post is not to post .

Any concern about absence can be replied to, also very simply.

Now off to see if you've been busy at the G, where we first met years ago, on the Disability threads .
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

This is where the bulk of the PLP went so wrong, first of all in instituting the foul WCA and then in not admitting their error
Can you pick up a pen? You are fit for work - and never mind your chemo-induced vomiting, your immuno-suppression, your weakness.
Could you "mobilise" for 50 metres unaided if you had a wheelchair? You are fit for work - and never mind that you haven't got a wheelchair.

Many disabled people work. Many disabled people are athletes. That's terrific.
But ill people can't work because they are ILL. That's what their doctors say - and a tick-box exercise conducted by someone unqualified in the specialty involved who is working to a target is not an assessment. It's a punishment.
https://profile.theguardian.com/user/ephemerid" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Enough sitting-down, I'm out !
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

SpinningHugo wrote:Early General Election?

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/5cfc3134-540a ... z4FOzzC7g1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have my doubts, but if the polls stay as they are the temptation would be huge.
I can't access the article because, as the Monkees didn't say, I'm not a subscriber.

However, what's to be gained (not much, time-wise)? And they're likely to win the next General Election (GE) in any case. Unless they think that there's some specific problem (ie an election loser) looming on the EU horizon that they reckon they can sort out in the extra time. Or they don't reckon they can sort it - but they'd like the extra time anyway. But if, whatever it is, is that catastrophic, then they've probably had it anyway GE victory or no GE victory.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Lost Soul wrote:Good morning.
What've I missed ?
Some stuff about Corbyn and and a guy called Owen
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

I'm a believer!
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

anthony wells wrote: http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Every mid-term change of Prime Minister has been accompanied by a significant boost in polling figures – in the three historical cases, they’ve gone from trailing the opposition to a clear polling lead. The boosts have tended to be comparatively short though – Callaghan and Major only enjoyed a month or so before settling down into a new equilibrium, Brown enjoyed a honeymoon that lasted several months, but that was probably because he was seem to have responded well to the Glasgow Airport attack and Summer floods.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

One persons flounce,is another persons felt necessity,fuck you I am off,bugger this for a game of soldiers I would rather use a cheese grater on my privates(not to be recommended).
This is a neutral statement.It is important,should people so wish to explain why and how they feel,perhaps people that get annoyed at people saying they are having a break (with or without a cheese grater)try and not let it annoy them from now on having expressed their view.

This is a genuine neutralisation attempt.

Doing Max Wall impersonations whilst waiting at a bus stop another useful method I find.
Maeght
Committee Chair

Post by Maeght »

HindleA wrote:Perhaps just post links and switch off into the wonderful World of utter bewilderment for a while?Alternatively hanging upside in a cupboard pretending to be a bat,making faces at yourself in the mirror,walking backwards reciting your favourite poem or having deep philosophical discussions with your favourite lettuce.I find useful,not for all.of course.
Thank you Hindle A.

I have been in a state of utter bewilderment for some time.

Already do the making faces thing and think I have philosophical discussions with various items in my kitchen (depends what you mean by philosophical discussions of course)

Too clumsy to do walking backwards but will consider the hanging upside down in a cupboard.

Very grateful for the suggestions.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

ephemerid wrote: It has also become a place where not much other than the Labour leadership is discussed, and that in itself has caused arguments.
I tend to think that the labour leadership has become a (?welcome) distraction from the horror of the EUref vote and it's repercussions, over which we have no control or input at all. Labour members can at least do something, even if it's not likely to make much difference.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

gilsey wrote:
ephemerid wrote: It has also become a place where not much other than the Labour leadership is discussed, and that in itself has caused arguments.
I tend to think that the labour leadership has become a (?welcome) distraction from the horror of the EUref vote and it's repercussions, over which we have no control or input at all. Labour members can at least do something, even if it's not likely to make much difference.

Yes - that's a good point. It's more tangible and less esoteric (if that's the word I'm looking for).
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

right that's it - I'm going to do the washing up

(c)withnail and I
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

tinyclanger2 wrote:right that's it - I'm going to do the washing up

(c)withnail and I
How long's that likely to take?
Swarthlander
Committee Chair

Post by Swarthlander »

PorFavor wrote:

I can't access the article because, as the Monkees didn't say, I'm not a subscriber.

However, what's to be gained (not much, time-wise)? And they're likely to win the next General Election (GE) in any case. Unless they think that there's some specific problem (ie an election loser) looming on the EU horizon that they reckon they can sort out in the extra time. Or they don't reckon they can sort it - but they'd like the extra time anyway. But if, whatever it is, is that catastrophic, then they've probably had it anyway GE victory or no GE victory.
It would give May total legitimacy - it would be 'her government'. It's also (from a Tory point of view) probably the best time to call a GE - there is no organised effective opposition. The Tories would have a probable landslide.
Unfortunately, for the Tories, Clever-Dick-Dave brought in the five year fix so engineering an early GE isn't as simple as it was.

It must be very tempting though. :D
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Supreme court rules Scotland's named person scheme for children 'unlawful'

The supreme court has ruled that the Scottish government’s named person scheme is “unlawful”, the BBC reports.

The Scottish government has 42 days to rectify the legislation. (Politics Live, Guardian)
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Swarthlander wrote:The Tories would have a probable landslide.
Yes, but as I've said before, most likely off a very, very low turnout. A crisis of democracy in itself. PR, anyone?
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
Swarthlander
Committee Chair

Post by Swarthlander »

gilsey wrote: ....PR, anyone?
I think that is well off into the future.

:D
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Swarthlander wrote:
PorFavor wrote:

It would give May total legitimacy - it would be 'her government'. It's also (from a Tory point of view) probably the best time to call a GE - there is no organised effective opposition. The Tories would have a probable landslide.
Unfortunately, for the Tories, Clever-Dick-Dave brought in the five year fix so engineering an early GE isn't as simple as it was.

Yes - I can see that it's probably tempting; and I thought about the legitimacy angle - but it doesn't seem to be presenting a problem at present, and I can't really see it doing so in the foreseeable future, either.
Lost Soul
Committee Chair

Post by Lost Soul »

Apologies if this has already been linked to - it made me laugh ( there's a bit of swearing in the subtitles )

Boris' brexit HQ - " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

another one had me almost in tears - but I am in Sheffield

Changes to Sheffield bus routes - " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Swarthlander
Committee Chair

Post by Swarthlander »

RobertSnozers wrote:
......I like to think that under those circumstances, Labour would pull more or less together.

That said, the most likely outcome is still a Tory victory, but I don't think it would be a landslide by any stretch.
I wish I had your confidence. :P
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

PorFavor wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:right that's it - I'm going to do the washing up

(c)withnail and I
How long's that likely to take?
It's quite a project. Each participant takes a different mug (and saucer!) every time a cup of tea is consumed. Add to that the tupperware collection which always manages to represent itself. And the reusable kitchen foil and non-stick baking paper.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

PorFavor wrote:
Swarthlander wrote:
PorFavor wrote: I can't access the article because, as the Monkees didn't say, I'm not a subscriber.

Yes - I can see that it's probably tempting; and I thought about the legitimacy angle - but it doesn't seem to be presenting a problem at present, and I can't really see it doing so in the foreseeable future, either.

She would get a larger majority (at least 50/60) and be able to push through Brexit on her terms. If next summer she gets 5 more years, not 3.

But, I think it is doubtful because the economy is about to go over a cliff, which will revive Labour, whatever its state.

(The FT used to let you subscribe for free and get a few freebie articles per month, does it not do that any longer?)
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

While one ...
... Presenter LOSES it over pro-EU nationwide march
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/688943 ... rotest-LBC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(potentially) millions organize the march for EU/Unity (now to be 3 Sept, UK wide)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

SpinningHugo wrote: (The FT used to let you subscribe for free and get a few freebie articles per month, does it not do that any longer?)
I couldn't see an option to do so.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

RobertSnozers wrote: I like to think that under those circumstances, Labour would pull more or less together.
I can't see how Labour could function in an election campaign. You couldn't put 80%+ of the MPs on TV. They'd be asked "You have no confidence in Jeremy Corbyn, so why do you want him to be PM." Plus, I think the Tories have been going easy on Corbyn and McDonnell. Their views on, say, a united Ireland and the legitimacy of the IRA "struggle" are just not going to be very popular in an election. In addition, i see no evidence of labour as currently run being a smooth vote gathering machine. It might get better, but it is unprofessional at the moment (see even Clive Lewis yesterday). The 6 week campaign would be brutal for Labour.

Their might be a mini-Lib Dem revival in the SW, especially if the threat of the SNP being in government recedes.

May might of course calculate that things weren't going to get any better for Labour and so she needn't rush. But, a government containing the disgraced Liam Fox as one of its trade negotiators isn't going to be a competent one, and so she might be best off going early?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

HindleA wrote:Perhaps just post links and switch off into the wonderful World of utter bewilderment for a while?Alternatively hanging upside in a cupboard pretending to be a bat,making faces at yourself in the mirror,walking backwards reciting your favourite poem or having deep philosophical discussions with your favourite lettuce.I find useful,not for all.of course.
You're obviously good at multi tasking then ;)
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-morning, everyone.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Which is somewhat doubtful, of course.

A useful thing to remember is that the Tories led by about 7 points in both 2010 and 2015. An instinctively cautious politician like our present PM is would want to see a real chance of doing better than that before seriously embarking on the not straightforward task of forcing an early election.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:

Which is somewhat doubtful, of course.

A useful thing to remember is that the Tories led by about 7 points in both 2010 and 2015. An instinctively cautious politician like our present PM is would want to see a real chance of doing better than that before seriously embarking on the not straightforward task of forcing an early election.

Yes, but that was a lead against another party that was able to mount an effective election campaign.

And i think your memory is playing tricks on you. The average was way below that in both years, with none that large in 2015?

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/voting-intention-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by SpinningHugo on Thu 28 Jul, 2016 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.