Friday 29th July 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Friday 29th July 2016

Post by StephenDolan »

A decent write by Alison McGovern.
She may need to change her medium profile though, Owen Smith won't be happy. ;)

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And good morning all.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Friday 29th July 2016

Post by HindleA »

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/mu ... ry-8511870" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mum wins Bedroom Tax victory after being made to pay when her son joined the Army
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Labour MP left red-faced after Twitter hack turns him into 'sexy model' in lingerie

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/la ... ed-8510001" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/di ... ns-8511751" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Disturbing video shows appalling conditions A&E patients suffered during NINE hour wait
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-36922039" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Southern Health NHS Trust 'paid millions' to Katrina Percy's associates

A troubled NHS trust has paid millions of pounds to companies owned by associates of its embattled chief executive, BBC News has learned.
One firm received more than £5m despite winning a contract valued at less than £300,000, while another was paid more than £500,000 without bidding at all.
Both are owned by acquaintances of Southern Health NHS Trust's chief executive Katrina Percy.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

HindleA wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-36922039

Southern Health NHS Trust 'paid millions' to Katrina Percy's associates

A troubled NHS trust has paid millions of pounds to companies owned by associates of its embattled chief executive, BBC News has learned.
One firm received more than £5m despite winning a contract valued at less than £300,000, while another was paid more than £500,000 without bidding at all.
Both are owned by acquaintances of Southern Health NHS Trust's chief executive Katrina Percy.
Funny how health and education were both subject to massive structural changes over the past 6 years to make them more market responsive and end up with very similar issues...

Morning all.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Yes,Morning.
Sometimes I forget,people don't keep the same hours as me,maybe I should stop being a bat for a while.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

RogerOThornhill wrote:... Funny how health and education were both subject to massive structural changes over the past 6 years to make them more market responsive and end up with very similar issues..
Indeed, Roger. On a somewhat parallel note, one, or should that be I, does wonder at quite a few of our parliamentarians over the years and the government contracts and similar they seem to secure even their positions within government for that matter. Without nepotism and networking people such as... well let's pick on Jeremy Hunt for example, would never get where they are.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

The Hinkley delay or rethink was unexpected. Even though I'm largely against I cannot help but feel the government showed enormous disrespect for EDF, a supposed partner in the venture. Why wait until after EDF's deliberations yesterday? It makes me wonder whether hope and wishful thinking have become the measure of our government. What we've heard so far on their thoughts on Brexit suggests so too.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

re Hinkley Point C

I wonder whether this was being driven by Osborne and the Treasury and now that he's gone they're listening more carefully to the technical people. That said there really is no excuse for a communication cockup like has happened - they should have made it clear to EDF that they wanted to put a brake on it before the board meeting that gave the go ahead.

That it might have been driven by finances rather than tech reminds me a bit of when our company went for coal-fired boilers using new technology. Soft loans, ECSC grant of 20+% and so it was constructed...only to be replaced after a few years.

My old man who was a qualified engineer said that all the technical people's misgivings beforehand were brushed aside in favour of the financial attractiveness of the project.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Oh yeah, I saw something on Hinkley on the Beeb a few hours ago and the 20,000 job figure was repeated several times and implied they were local, as opposed to the more likely 5,000. For a little context let's not forget that 12,000, with another 8,000 or more threatened, have already been lost to the solar industry in the last year, no thanks to Osborne.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Tried that new craze of blindfolded ironing,I had what I thought was an advantage in teaching blind/visually impaired to iron which seemed some decades ago probably because it was,but whereas there are definately less wrinkles there is also less layers of skin and the jeans look as crinkled as ever.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07 ... pocalypse/

It’s the end of the world as we know it? Or is it?
This might just be one of the last things you ever read if you believe the doomsayers who believe the end of the world is today. No, really.
After 200,000 [mostly] fantastic years on planet Earth, the human race has just a few hours left on the Blue Marble, according to apocalypse believers.
Only 14 hours left!
I'm a bit cheesed off about this,
first I've heard of it. No memo, nothing.
Wouldn't have bothered rushing round upgrading pcs to Windws 10 if I'd known.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

I looked in yesterday and wondered wtf was going on. Whatever it were, I'll just add that when I woke I was in a foul mood and feeling excessively short-tempered. It was so pronounced and unlike me that I was able to warn others and at least try to repress any outburst.

Then guess what... I was landed with a three year old for the day. At least I was smiling later but Grrrr, I'm half expecting the same today. My impatience should be directed at little one's mother.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

According to
@CLPNominations

It's 48/11 to Corbyn at the moment.

I don't know if yours is included in that tally.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

tinybgoat wrote:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07 ... pocalypse/

It’s the end of the world as we know it? Or is it?
This might just be one of the last things you ever read if you believe the doomsayers who believe the end of the world is today. No, really.
After 200,000 [mostly] fantastic years on planet Earth, the human race has just a few hours left on the Blue Marble, according to apocalypse believers.
Only 14 hours left!
I'm a bit cheesed off about this,
first I've heard of it. No memo, nothing.
Wouldn't have bothered rushing round upgrading pcs to Windws 10 if I'd known.

Waste of time your doing the washing up, yesterday, then.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

If the end of the world is at midnight, isn't that tomorrow?
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

frightful_oik wrote:If the end of the world is at midnight, isn't that tomorrow?
The international date line is a place to be avoided I guess.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Assuming I'm still in these parts at the next GE, I shall most likely be voting Labour whoever wins the leadership election. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be if I were younger, the drip, drip of younger friends leaving the country is becoming a torrent since the referendum, well already seeking work overseas.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

frightful_oik wrote:If the end of the world is at midnight, isn't that tomorrow?

It seems to be a moot point. Or a mute point, if you have a silent clock.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I've got a talking clock,currently striking every hour.
fedup59
Committee Member

Post by fedup59 »

PorFavor wrote:

It seems to be a moot point. Or a mute point, if you have a silent clock.
Maybe it depends on which bong it goes on - as T S Eliot would have said, had he known, 'not with a bang, but with a bong'

Morning all
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

OMG, Maybe the Earths rotation slows down,
or, even scarier.....
The Telegraph has made an error!
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

HindleA wrote:I've got a talking clock,currently striking every hour.
Bloody commie clock.
Donald Trump: Making America Hate Again
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

In the comments below the Hinckley article in the G
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... e-politics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

is a link to a free book, Sustainable energy without the hot air, David MacKay
https://www.withouthotair.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
May be of interest to some.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

tinybgoat wrote:
OMG, Maybe the Earths rotation slows down
I blame it on Brexit. Clearly cutting Britain off from the rest of Europe has had dire consequences.
Donald Trump: Making America Hate Again
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

JonnyT1234 wrote:
tinybgoat wrote:
OMG, Maybe the Earths rotation slows down
I blame it on Brexit. Clearly cutting Britain off from the rest of Europe has had dire consequences.
But it's a positive effect, our productivity will increase (umm at least in the short term).
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

tinybgoat wrote:
JonnyT1234 wrote:
tinybgoat wrote: OMG, Maybe the Earths rotation slows down
But it's a positive effect, our productivity will increase (umm at least in the short term).
There's a good piece on what might happen socially.

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainmen ... ds/423360/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

JonnyT1234 wrote:
HindleA wrote:I've got a talking clock,currently striking every hour.
Bloody commie clock.

Well I suppose I'd get annoyed at getting smacked on the head to tell the time/date especially at night.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Marvellous.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/clarifica ... e-leave-EU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The gallery was formed of 11 images. Each image carried a caption. The captions for images 3 (eggs), 5 (jam), 6 (water) & 9 (swedes) were inaccurate. In the case of caption 3 (eggs), the caption claimed that "A dozen eggs: In 2010 the EU said that food could not be sold by number but by weight". In 2010 the European Union was considering legislation governing food labelling. In June 2010 Renata Sommer the MEP responsible for steering the legislation confirmed 'There will be no changes to selling food by numbers". In fact a consumer who purchased eggs in the UK would be able to do so by number. Caption 3 (eggs) was therefore incorrect. Given that 4 of the 11 captions were incorrect this gallery has been deleted.
:lol!:
Maeght
Committee Chair

Post by Maeght »

From Kevin Maguire's New Statesman column.
http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk ... revolution" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Corbynista revolution has reached communist China, where an informant reports that the Hong Kong branch of the Labour Party is now in the hands of Britain’s red leader. Of all the groups backing Jezza, Bankers 4 Corbyn is surely the most incongruous.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Excuse my aside but having seen the headline, US police mistake icing from Krispy Kreme doughnuts for crystal meth, at the G I could not resist.

Many moons ago I was forewarned of a likely visit, time enough for a tidy up but too late to reverse the effects of the A we'd already dropped so things may have appeared somewhat exaggerated. Anyway I emptied my dope tin, an old Golden Virginia or Holborn tin, filled it with curry powder and put it in a kitchen cupboard. During the bust a police sergeant came rushing into the lounge and holding it aloft excitedly exclaimed, "Look what I've found!" Prising open the lid he put it to his nose and without hesitation took a deep sniff. Oh did we laugh, his colleagues too.

So much for tidying up, we missed a 30" hukkah, left by a mate a few days earlier, proudly sitting on the mantelpiece.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

StephenDolan wrote:A decent write by Alison McGovern.
She may need to change her medium profile though, Owen Smith won't be happy. ;)

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And good morning all.
Careful, some of her Progress buddies might accuse her of developing "Corbynista" tendencies if she carries on mentioning stuff like that :roll: :D
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Owen Jones interview of Jeremy Corbyn now up.

I enjoyed the Clive Lewis one yesterday, today's is 40+ minutes long.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

That Alison McGovern piece alludes to what I was referring to earlier, Anatoly. Younger folk see little hope in Britain today and moreso after Brexit. Home ownership has become a wild fantasy for many, even those securing half decent jobs. Many of those I know are off to Aussie, my eldest is looking into it too.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... -gray-dies" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Neighbours' Mrs Mangel, actor Vivean Gray, dies aged 92
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

CohQ1mjVUAITRxv.jpg
CohQ1mjVUAITRxv.jpg (125.16 KiB) Viewed 11084 times
Any links to this event in Welsh papers would be good.
Last edited by ohsocynical on Fri 29 Jul, 2016 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Sorry to interject again but the more I hear of anti-Corbyn shenanigans the more unlikely I am to lend my vote to Labour.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Pauline Lane ‏@Antonineone1 3h3 hours ago
Pauline Lane Retweeted Éoin

Do you have any idea what went on in Blaenau Gwent? Facebook Jeremy for Labour Cardiff reports members were excluded
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Bracknell CLP.

Nomination meeting
Some members have been asking for a nomination meeting and, following lengthy consideration by the officers of the EC, we have confirmed our decision not to hold one. Some of the considerations we took into account were:
1. With over 500 members and registered supporters able to vote, and with passions as high as they are, the management of such a meeting would be a major logistical challenge. Stewards would be required to physically check the membership status of all those seeking admission. Public safety could well be an issue.
2. A neutral facilitator would need to be found so that the meeting could be chaired fairly and impartially.
3. Nationally, on a number of occasions, the mood has been both ugly and antagonistic. The recent statement from our general secretary, Ian McNicol, about acceptable conduct makes this point very clearly.
4. We have two declared candidates and a supporting nomination from Bracknell CLP is unnecessary. It will be for individual members and registered supporters to cast their votes when the time comes.
5. Supporting nomination meetings have to be concluded by 15th August and we need to provide 7 days written notice of holding such a meeting to our regional director. We are now in the peak holiday period and many members will be unable to attend.
I know this will disappoint many of you but this decision was not taken lightly. Thank you for your understanding.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

While I'm in such a fine mood I shall just have a chunter about accommodation these days. Diagonally across the road from me is a two year old building that is rented out at considerably higher rents than my flat. It's nearly the size of my old house so I'd assumed two properties, but no it is four. I call that downright immoral.
sputnikkers
Backbencher

Post by sputnikkers »

The Labour response - the role of The Members?
Where Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump Stand on Foreign-Policy Issues - WSJ.com

Russia/Putin? China? Europe & Brexit? [Immigration & Mexico - bit domestic?], Iraq?, Iran?, Islamic State/Syria?, Israel & Palestinian Territories?, Islam & Muslims?, NATO?, North Korea?

Some pretty big important questions, problems in need of answers and solutions? In light of the fact that in the present age it is 'The Members' who decide on policy direction, who to empower and who to purge as non-believers, is it not their responsibility to provide an up-to-date response, telling Mr Corbyn how and what to think, believe and say now with respect to attempt to influence/support/oppose the USA?

Pragmatically speaking (though admittedly, perhaps, for different ideologically pure reasons?), Mr Corbyn is (probably?) just as likely, if not more likely, to support Trump's objectives (which include lies) as Hillary's (which include methods or directions for travel to bring them about)? As the post-Corbyn membership (up to/February 15th polling suggests) is cast more in his image as far more anti-American than the longer term members (already more 'anti' than the whole of the population but not so much Labour voters!), should they not say how they will respond to each scenario and which is preferable? Or perhaps, have the United Kingdom profess a policy of complete saintliness by 'doing no harm' and total withdrawal and non-intervention in foreign affairs (of course organising mass demonstrations and preparing banners ready to 'oppose' those that do)?

Is it not beholden on The Membership (via Democratic Centralism) to come up with solutions (or stated non-solutions?) to all the world's problems so that Mr Corbyn knows how to think and what to say to represent them and the meaning of their mandate?

Of course, this methodology worked really well for The Members (over 80% 'remainers' though slightly fewer proportionally after Corbyn) on the one aspect, above, that has already come to pass via the Referendum! Although I suppose, pragmatically speaking, it is a good job that the Labour Party has 'a leader' who was willing to feign weak support for the EU as he must already have the vision, principles and decades worth of well-worked out policy options for how to manage 'Leave' and how to do this with 'Socialism' as the solution? Surely he would not have opposed all those Treaties and have backed a referendum previously under his own private, previously non-democratic-centralised, anti-neoliberal, anti-imperialist, principled socialist philosophy without 'A Plan' (or 'A Clue') otherwise?
Last edited by sputnikkers on Fri 29 Jul, 2016 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

StephenDolan wrote:Owen Jones interview of Jeremy Corbyn now up.

I enjoyed the Clive Lewis one yesterday, today's is 40+ minutes long.
"Labour can win a snap General Election" is the headline, but I listened to his answer to that question three times. He doesn't say that.

"Balls was offering up cuts"- which? None at all that I recall.

TBF he looks much happier. He clearly enjoys leadership elections.

Poor old OJ. He can see where this is heading.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Michelle Churchland ‏@Tichchurchland 20m20 minutes ago
@red13charlie @KDPEP64

Don't vote4Ann Black She doesn't support JC. Apparently they've suspended Christine Shawcroft now= NEC Witch hunt!
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

What the hell is going on?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

A key weapon of the neo-liberal establishment in delegitimising the emergence of popular organisation to the left, is to portray all thinkers outside the Overton window as dangerous; actively violent, misogynist and racist.

https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives ... the-gates/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

ohsocynical wrote:What the hell is going on?
An unfounded rumour has just been posted on Twitter?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

I look at the Daily Heil so that you don't have to......and as usual I can't get the links to work.

One for Roger - Katharine Birbalsingh shows us yet again what a super head she is.....
children whose parents get behind with lunch money have "lunch isolation" imposed on them, made to sit alone for the lunch hour, and given a sandwich instead of a hot meal. This, apparently, is designed to make parents change their ways and pay up front. Lunch at the Michaela Free School costs £2.50 per day, and parents are supposed to pay in advance every term.

There is also a story, with photos, about Jess Phillips having to get a locksmith in to make her home more secure because of all the rape and death threats she says she's been getting. These threats come from "Feral Pro-Corbyn trolls", and the locksmith spent six hours making her home more secure.
One death threat involved a mockd-up picture of a woman with an arrow in her chest, with Phillip's face suprimposed on it.
She said that every day there is a call for her deselection, and she Tweeted "Why on earth am I putting up with all the crap in a party I am no longer welcome in?"
Whilst I deplore any public figure (or anyone else for that matter) being threatened, I have to say that get really pissed off with Phillips. She seems to think it's OK to tell the world that she'll stab Corbyn in the front on the grounds that she's so honest she'd never stab anyone in the back.

Oh for some grown-ups in positions of influence.....
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-afternoon, everyone.