Thursday 25th September 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Re: Thursday 25th September 2014

Post by pk1 »

RobertSnozers wrote:
JackPranker wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:* Still in Bake Off mode. Sorry to see Martha go, and still can't see a front runner.
Are you mad? Richard has 4 * Bakers! His to lose methinks. Chetna had a good (and lucky) week, Nancy'll be next imo.
Yes, but the last two years have seen someone who wasn't really in the running come through and beat the hot favourites. I'd be seriously surprised if Richard wins. I don't care who it is as long as it isn't Luis. Haven't forgiven him for helping to screw up poor Iain's baked Alaska
I'd like Chetna to win but whether she will remains to be seen.

There isn't anyone really challenging Richard yet though Louis has a wonderful touch when it comes to decorating his bakes but over the last few weeks seems to be believing in his own hype a little too much.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Wonga profits set to nosedive 40%
Payday lender expected to report huge fall in pre-tax profit although disputes the £50m figure quoted in some reports

Wonga has been attacked for what soem[sic] call “legal loansharking”, uniting London Labour MP Stella Creasy and the Archbishop of Canterbury, Justin Welby, in condemnation of the high cost of its loans. (Guardian)
http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... 40-percent
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

Seems as though the Kippers aren't to bothered by their reputation as a bunch of golf club bores, their latest PPB is filmed on a golf course!
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Simon Wren-Lewis kicks Jon Snow's arse.

http://mainlymacro.blogspot.co.uk/2014/ ... macro.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Channel 4 news likes to think of itself as being a little more highbrow than other news programmes, and I’ve no doubt that conservatives would describe it as left wing. So here is a link to John Snow’s interview with Miliband yesterday (skip intro and question on middle east to about 3 minutes in). He asks Miliband what the greatest issue facing the next British government is. Miliband responds that it is getting the country to work for most working people rather than be stuck with a more unequal country. Interesting answer, but inequality is not an issue mediamacro recognises. It was a trick question. Now that is twice that you have forgotten to mention the deficit, responds Snow. How could you not mention paying off this appalling deficit? Snow continues. Surely it is the most important issue of all. It is the essence of our economic crisis. And so on.

Now my point here is not about bias, and how this interview could have been scripted by George Osborne. It is about the banality of it all. If you are going to talk about the deficit, ask some real questions about the differences between Labour and Conservative plans. Ask why Labour thinks that debt should not come down more rapidly. There are lots of meaningful questions you could ask. But trying to make a great issue out of a forgotten part of a speech is just silly. It is gotcha journalism for those who get their economics from listening to political commentators. The implication that the deficit is all important, and linking it in a causal way to the recession, is mediamacro at its worst.
Can FTN tweet that link to Mr Snow with a polite suggestion he engages his brain.
Release the Guardvarks.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... toffs.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mansion tax may not only be for Southern toffs, too much generalising that, but I doubt I will be affected by it anytime soon, or anyone I know?
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

I think I'm turning into Britain's grumpiest old man. I can't do the pub quiz any longer because half the questions are about celebrities or the latest blockbuster movies. I won't watch cookery/antiques/property/lifestyle/reality/quiz programmes. Nor indeed televised sport. I love my footie but I have to be there. Oh and memo to 5Live, not everybody cares about the travails of ManU. In fact most of us couldn't care less so talk about summat else! Pace any Man Utd fans on here. News and current affairs are riddled with Tory lickspittles. Why am I paying my licence fee? Then there's the press, a festering wart on our so-called democracy. I could go on, in fact I think I am so I'll stop.

Still, the weather's been nice lately and I'm getting my allotment licked into shape for the winter.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

ohsocynical wrote:Dan. it's just a thought but would one of those Capcha? apps. [copying letters and numbers into a box before you can register] help? It cuts out the robotic spam at least.
I like your thinking Ohso. I set one up a couple of weeks ago and they're still getting through. Will be looking at other versions.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

refitman wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:Dan. it's just a thought but would one of those Capcha? apps. [copying letters and numbers into a box before you can register] help? It cuts out the robotic spam at least.
I like your thinking Ohso. I set one up a couple of weeks ago and they're still getting through. Will be looking at other versions.

I made the mistake of using the translate option that flashed up when I looked at the latest Russian spam. Quite put me off my lunch.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

frightful_oik wrote:I think I'm turning into Britain's grumpiest old man. I can't do the pub quiz any longer because half the questions are about celebrities or the latest blockbuster movies. I won't watch cookery/antiques/property/lifestyle/reality/quiz programmes. Nor indeed televised sport. I love my footie but I have to be there. Oh and memo to 5Live, not everybody cares about the travails of ManU. In fact most of us couldn't care less so talk about summat else! Pace any Man Utd fans on here. News and current affairs are riddled with Tory lickspittles. Why am I paying my licence fee? Then there's the press, a festering wart on our so-called democracy. I could go on, in fact I think I am so I'll stop.

Still, the weather's been nice lately and I'm getting my allotment licked into shape for the winter.
All's not lost then? :) There's a danger I am turning into a grumpy woman too, my patience runs thin all too often, funnily enough mostly with idiots, people who get excited that the transfer window this season was the most ever. :toss: I rarely watch anything on T.V, fed up of my average intelligence being patronised, the news can go and **** itself. I work in a pub, not for much longer and last night someone decreed ''Where's David Miliband, he was more like us'' I kid you not, I stood there counting to 10, promising to myself I wouldn't bite until I shouted ''In New York, he fucked off in a pout, what a great example'' that's one shut up, another then piped up ''I still don't agree what Ed did though, standing against him'' again a starter for 10, deep breath ''the leadership of the Labour Party wasn't David's divine right, and if he had been elected it would have splintered by now'' ''erm, I am not disagreeing with you but he shouldn't have stood'' at that point I gave up.

In short, there are more idiots than we give credit for.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Latest top story on the Indie, hope FTN will be ok ?

Shellshock: Bash bug 'bigger than Heartbleed' could undermine security of millions of websites
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 54720.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

All this Russian spam makes me wish Putin would shut down their internet connection, bugger free speech! ;)
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

pk1 wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
* Still in Bake Off mode. Sorry to see Martha go, and still can't see a front runner.
FFS grim ! I haven't watched last nights show yet - football always takes priority, even if it's not my team !

Now I'll just have to pretend to be all knowing throughout the show & say to my hubby that I think Martha might be the one to go :lol:
I watch it the day after on iPlayer on my computer because Mr Ohso always hogs the tele.

I thought it was Wednesday today so now I know how this weeks episode ended :cry:
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

frightful_oik wrote:I think I'm turning into Britain's grumpiest old man. I can't do the pub quiz any longer because half the questions are about celebrities or the latest blockbuster movies. I won't watch cookery/antiques/property/lifestyle/reality/quiz programmes. Nor indeed televised sport. I love my footie but I have to be there. Oh and memo to 5Live, not everybody cares about the travails of ManU. In fact most of us couldn't care less so talk about summat else! Pace any Man Utd fans on here. News and current affairs are riddled with Tory lickspittles. Why am I paying my licence fee? Then there's the press, a festering wart on our so-called democracy. I could go on, in fact I think I am so I'll stop.

I don't even have footie to love :( and my garden has gone back to "neglected" following spring enthusiasm as everything got blighted or scoffed ... :lol:
Signed
Britain's grumpiest old woman.
Last edited by AngryAsWell on Thu 25 Sep, 2014 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Struggling to recall a government so down on wildlife, if I saw a wild beaver I would collapse into a heap smiling manically, these bastards will find any excuse to catch them and move them on.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/ ... -directive" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:

All's not lost then? :) There's a danger I am turning into a grumpy woman too, my patience runs thin all too often, funnily enough mostly with idiots, people who get excited that the transfer window this season was the most ever. :toss: I rarely watch anything on T.V, fed up of my average intelligence being patronised, the news can go and **** itself. I work in a pub, not for much longer and last night someone decreed ''Where's David Miliband, he was more like us'' I kid you not, I stood there counting to 10, promising to myself I wouldn't bite until I shouted ''In New York, he fucked off in a pout, what a great example'' that's one shut up, another then piped up ''I still don't agree what Ed did though, standing against him'' again a starter for 10, deep breath ''the leadership of the Labour Party wasn't David's divine right, and if he had been elected it would have splintered by now'' ''erm, I am not disagreeing with you but he shouldn't have stood'' at that point I gave up.

In short, there are more idiots than we give credit for.
I'd have spit in his drink :lol:
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Seeing how many Bake Off fans there are, maybe Salmond should have demanded a bake off with Alastair Darling to settle the indy referendum outcome ?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

http://academiesweek.co.uk/exclusive-ag ... t-2-months" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Theodore Agnew, a non-executive director at the Department for Education (DfE), has resigned from his directorship of an academy trust founded by education minister Lord Nash.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... toffs.html

Mansion tax may not only be for Southern toffs, too much generalising that, but I doubt I will be affected by it anytime soon, or anyone I know?
It's both an act of crass class war and an attack on ordinary people.

?!
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Tubby Isaacs wrote:

?!
Yeah, work that one out?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Frightful_oik wrote:
I think I'm turning into Britain's grumpiest old man. I can't do the pub quiz any longer because half the questions are about celebrities or the latest blockbuster movies. I won't watch cookery/antiques/property/lifestyle/reality/quiz programmes. Nor indeed televised sport. I love my footie but I have to be there. Oh and memo to 5Live, not everybody cares about the travails of ManU. In fact most of us couldn't care less so talk about summat else! Pace any Man Utd fans on here. News and current affairs are riddled with Tory lickspittles. Why am I paying my licence fee? Then there's the press, a festering wart on our so-called democracy. I could go on, in fact I think I am so I'll stop.

Virgin Media rang yesterday
Conversation went like this:

Girl: This call is being recorded.
Me: Fine.
Girl: As you already have a triple package we are ringing to tell you about our mobile ---
Me: No thank you.
Girl: But ---
Me: Your TV package is a waste of money. We're just paying for repeats on all those extra channels. I've tried to cancel our package and just settle for the internet. I can't find anyone that will do it despite repeated requests and being passed from pillar to post.
Girl: But---
Me: As it happens we shall be moving soon. So that'll be an end to it...Goodbye.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Beware this link contains images of Toby Young with not too many clothes on, if I had my way his face would be permanently covered too..

http://zelo-street.blogspot.co.uk/2014/ ... ments.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How it has come to pass that this idiot is deemed an authority on anything is beyond me.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:

?!
Have you seen the maps on Twitter showing where the mansions are situated?
Not a single one in Greater Manchester evidently and only a few in the whole of Wales, but you should see how many are clustered around Hyde Park in London :shock:
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Beware this link contains images of Toby Young with not too many clothes on, if I had my way his face would be permanently covered too..

http://zelo-street.blogspot.co.uk/2014/ ... ments.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How it has come to pass that this idiot is deemed an authority on anything is beyond me.
Perhaps his mummy phoned a few people, like Cameron's mummy did.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

ohsocynical wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:

?!
Not a single one in Greater Manchester evidently and only a few in the whole of Wales, but you should see how many are clustered around Hyde Park in London :shock:
Yeah, I saw those yesterdays, how many are fully occupied around Hyde Park is another question, I was walking around there around a month ago, just getting dark, most of the buildings were in complete darkness, and we're supposed to be concerned for likes of these?
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

ohsocynical wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:

?!
Talking of which, go down to the 7th paragraph and read Cameron's view on mansion taxes, I would copy it out but have egg and chips on the go.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
pk1 wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
* Still in Bake Off mode. Sorry to see Martha go, and still can't see a front runner.
FFS grim ! I haven't watched last nights show yet - football always takes priority, even if it's not my team !

Now I'll just have to pretend to be all knowing throughout the show & say to my hubby that I think Martha might be the one to go :lol:
Ah, my week for not getting anything right. Sorry. :oops:
That's all right. We'll forgive you :hug:
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I don't understand the logic behind Conservative MP James Grey's (?) argument (BBC TV News24) that there shouldn't be a vote in Parliament on military action. His argument was framed thus: the PM should go ahead without a vote because the vote in 2003 was based on a previous PM's lies but the (presumably any) PM is the only person who has access to the true facts. So no vote required. Confused? James Grey certainly is.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Beware this link contains images of Toby Young with not too many clothes on, if I had my way his face would be permanently covered too..

Tim's a bloody lord, isn't he?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:

http://mainlymacro.blogspot.co.uk/2014/ ... macro.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Channel 4 news likes to think of itself as being a little more highbrow than other news programmes, and I’ve no doubt that conservatives would describe it as left wing. So here is a link to John Snow’s interview with Miliband yesterday (skip intro and question on middle east to about 3 minutes in). He asks Miliband what the greatest issue facing the next British government is. Miliband responds that it is getting the country to work for most working people rather than be stuck with a more unequal country. Interesting answer, but inequality is not an issue mediamacro recognises. It was a trick question. Now that is twice that you have forgotten to mention the deficit, responds Snow. How could you not mention paying off this appalling deficit? Snow continues. Surely it is the most important issue of all. It is the essence of our economic crisis. And so on.

Now my point here is not about bias, and how this interview could have been scripted by George Osborne. It is about the banality of it all. If you are going to talk about the deficit, ask some real questions about the differences between Labour and Conservative plans. Ask why Labour thinks that debt should not come down more rapidly. There are lots of meaningful questions you could ask. But trying to make a great issue out of a forgotten part of a speech is just silly. It is gotcha journalism for those who get their economics from listening to political commentators. The implication that the deficit is all important, and linking it in a causal way to the recession, is mediamacro at its worst.
Can FTN tweet that link to Mr Snow with a polite suggestion he engages his brain.
Yep, can you do this, Dan?

Thanks in advance
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

RobertSnozers wrote:Did I make that post about 'boots on the ground' and it was considered offensive, or did I not get round to pressing 'submit'?
Didn't see one appear Rob.
Hobiejoe
Minister of State

Post by Hobiejoe »

RobertSnozers wrote:Did I make that post about 'boots on the ground' and it was considered offensive, or did I not get round to pressing 'submit'?
Was it in Cyrillic?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Application made for Noah's Kingdom Academy primary school in Whitley

"Every faith system and value in this world can be tracked back to the Laws that God gave Noah (the Noahide laws). These laws teach us that God desires all his children to live every day to the full and it can be summed up in the statement that God desires us all to: “Live, Love and be happy”. It is our plan that everyone involved with NKA will experience and value the impact of its positive ethos."

The list of schools was released by the DfE under the Freedom of Information Act. They have all applied as part of ‘wave seven’ of the free school process and are due to hear their fate this autumn.

Of the 104 schools, 80 have no designated faith, 13 are Christian, two each follow Judaism, Hinduism, Islam and Sikhism and three of Sri Aurobindo and the Mother's Children.

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/local- ... my-7829458

For Tubby and Roger:

I like this bit Free schools are non-profit making, independent schools funded by the state. [my bold]

Excuse me? Non profit?
Last edited by ohsocynical on Thu 25 Sep, 2014 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Seems as though the Kippers aren't to bothered by their reputation as a bunch of golf club bores, their latest PPB is filmed on a golf course!
Sticking with what they know.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Hobiejoe wrote:
Was it in Cyrillic?
I hope LetsSkip didn't tell you to fuck off in Serbian...
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

The MP who threatened to nut Michael Gove post Syria vote is standing down, of the top of my head you can drive from Dowlais top to Port Talbot and onto the Gower and every MP has decided to stand down..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-29355573" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I take that back, Ann Clwyd has decided to stand for re-selection, at the age of 77, having initially wanting to pack it in cos they no longer wanted her? I know, some CLP's around her want a gigantic kick in the arse.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

ohsocynical wrote:
Hobiejoe wrote:
Was it in Cyrillic?
I hope LetsSkip didn't tell you to fuck off in Serbian...
I'd like to, I was told once that I had footballers legs by an old Croatian guy, I wasn't too impressed as I more into cycling.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Reasonably good counter-punch to the tripe that has been floating about that Labour is finished in Scotland, sure we've all seen examples of this?

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehous ... still-walk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Conference convinced me that Labour can rescue the NHS – and our nation

I remember the terrible deprivations of the 1920s. But as long as Ed Miliband continues to listen to everyday people like me, there is hope that they will not be repeated
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... slie-smith" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edit to add
Just reading BTL - they are even disrespecting harry, truly horrible.
Off to start cooking or I will explode :(
Last edited by AngryAsWell on Thu 25 Sep, 2014 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:http://academiesweek.co.uk/exclusive-ag ... t-2-months
Theodore Agnew, a non-executive director at the Department for Education (DfE), has resigned from his directorship of an academy trust founded by education minister Lord Nash.
How very odd.

I'd assumed he'd joined so that Nash could safely stand down from two of the four GBs that he sits on to keep within the Clarke recommendations. Why join and then resign?

Unless there is some serious stuff coming his way and he doesn't want anyone else tainted or maybe he realised that it just smelled fishy.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

If any mod wants to give me the ability to cull spammers on the spot I am willing to do it, I'll treat it as a game of pac-man or space invaders..

Realise the mods cant always do it during the day.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

AngryAsWell wrote:
Conference convinced me that Labour can rescue the NHS – and our nation

I remember the terrible deprivations of the 1920s. But as long as Ed Miliband continues to listen to everyday people like me, there is hope that they will not be repeated
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... slie-smith" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edit to add
Just reading BTL - they are even disrespecting harry, truly horrible.
Off to start cooking or I will explode :(
I'm sickened by the BTL comments, nothing specific just the overall tone and lack of respect appals me. :fire:
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:

Yep, can you do this, Dan?

Thanks in advance
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (13.18 KiB) Viewed 15159 times
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Can anyone answer this question for me, please?

As IS is financed (partly or wholly) from oil revenue from the oilfields which it has seized, who is buying the oil and how does IS get its hands on the proceeds? Presumably there are some banking transactions involved.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:If any mod wants to give me the ability to cull spammers on the spot I am willing to do it, I'll treat it as a game of pac-man or space invaders..

Hi Letskip, I have made you a mod (you now have a green name. There should be a 'Moderator Control Panel' link towards the top of each page that has all the toys.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

refitman wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:If any mod wants to give me the ability to cull spammers on the spot I am willing to do it, I'll treat it as a game of pac-man or space invaders..

Hi Letskip, I have made you a mod (you now have a green name. There should be a 'Moderator Control Panel' link towards the top of each page that has all the toys.
Yes I have the links, thanks.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@refitman

It's getting very "Reservoir Dogs" around here!
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

PorFavor wrote:@refitman

So long as I'm not Mr Pink...
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

I promise not to all Tony Blair and let all this power go to my head.
JackPranker
Committee Member

Post by JackPranker »

refitman wrote:
PorFavor wrote:@refitman

So long as I'm not Mr Pink...
Mr Russett?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Speaking of Whingeing Dan Hodges ...
Dan Hodges ‏@DPJHodges 2m
Waiting for East Cost train. Realise my case has been left on Hull train. Run back to Hull train. "Have you seen a suitcase!!!"...
Oh dear. I wonder what he's got in it? Maybe his jimjams are tribal print.
Working on the wild side.