Tuesday 2nd August 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 2nd August 2016

Post by HindleA »

FT has May pulls plug on Northern Powerhouse.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

HindleA wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... are_btn_tw

The fake cures for autism that can prove deadly
A campaigner is battling against the dangerous poisons being sold to parents online that claim to treat the condition
That is terrible. I've seen something similar using essential oils, which undiluted (as recommended by these idiots) can be highly toxic. That was by an American MLM company & aromatherapy organisations had a hell of a fight to stop them.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liv ... s-11696564" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Starting pistol fired as Liverpool bids to host 2026 Commonwealth Games
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

HindleA wrote:FT has May pulls plug on Northern Powerhouse.
Considering a big big part of the mayoral elections - Manchester & Liverpool particularly - was having their own budget to invest in areas they felt had greatest need, I wonder if they will still get the devolved budget? In Manchester that was supposed to/going to include the health budget.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I cannot access article,just saw tweet.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

HindleA wrote:I cannot access article,just saw tweet.
Theresa May has kicked off her search for an industrial strategy by focusing on the productivity gap between London and the rest of the UK, in effect discarding George Osborne’s emphasis on the “Northern Powerhouse”.
The prime minister chaired the first meeting of her industrial strategy committee on Tuesday afternoon, having already caused waves with an abrupt decision to review plans for an £18bn nuclear plant at Hinkley Point.
The committee, comprising the prime minister and 11 secretaries of state, is charged with building an economy that works for “everyone, not just the privileged few”.
In the meeting, Greg Clark, the business secretary, said that the government should “do more to support cities outside London” — in effect a rebuke to the concept of a Northern Powerhouse centred around Manchester.

Rest of the page goes blurred
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... first-time" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Presume interpretation of this

Cabinet group for industrial planning to meet for first time
Theresa May announced formation of group with purview over economic and manufacturing policy on steps of No 10 when she became prime minister
Part of the group’s remit is to formulate a proper UK industrial policy.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Homelessness up more than 50 per cent since David Cameron became Prime Minister (we might have had this appols if so)
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ho ... er-5235998" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But not this
‘Ghost town’: 25,000 empty homes in Greater Manchester

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... mes-855068" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Deprivation study finds grammars, faith and primary free schools ‘biased’ against poor pupils

http://schoolsweek.co.uk/deprivation-st ... ign=buffer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Haven't bought the Guardian for yonks to be honest.Used to buy it on Saturday's when Araucaria -(John Graham)crossword setter was in,and then when you could get in on line not even then.
Last edited by HindleA on Tue 02 Aug, 2016 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Interesting bloke by the way,shall we say not exactly a Murdoch fan,sadly deceased but lived to a ripe out age.

"His strongly held, but mildly expressed, political views were definitely of the left ("the Guardian is my paper, though I find it a bit conservative"). As an adult his paper was the old liberal News Chronicle before it was the Manchester Guardian. On principle he would never have set puzzles for a Murdoch paper. He expected little or nothing from Tony Blair's New Labour and even less from the present coalition, and was therefore not disappointed."
Last edited by HindleA on Tue 02 Aug, 2016 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisDean
Backbencher

Post by ChrisDean »

@citizenJA

You left without your usual "Goodnight" sign out.

Hope you are OK

x
ChrisDean
Backbencher

Post by ChrisDean »

Ah...you're back x
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ChrisDean wrote:@citizenJA

You left without your usual "Goodnight" sign out.

Hope you are OK

x
Thank you.

:heart:
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

HindleA wrote:Interesting bloke by the way,shall we say not exactly a Murdoch fan,sadly deceased but lived to a ripe out age.

"His strongly held, but mildly expressed, political views were definitely of the left ("the Guardian is my paper, though I find it a bit conservative"). As an adult his paper was the old liberal News Chronicle before it was the Manchester Guardian. On principle he would never have set puzzles for a Murdoch paper. He expected little or nothing from Tony Blair's New Labour and even less from the present coalition, and was therefore not disappointed."
Is he the one who announced his impending death (cancer) in crossword clues?

(Edit - this should be in reply to the one above with Araucaria in it......)
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Strange things I have learnt today: despite having lived in London for over 10 years it is only because of this article in the graun that I've discovered that the 'Monopoly' station, Fenchurch Street, is still in existence.

You think you know somewhere and then you get a rude(ish) awakening that you don't know a thing. The only defence I have is that it's in the City, a place and people so utterly alien to me, that I very rarely - if ever - go there for anything. At all.
Donald Trump: Making America Hate Again
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone.
love,
cJA
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

AAW yes.The crosswords just aren't the same.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

JonnyT1234 wrote:Strange things I have learnt today: despite having lived in London for over 10 years it is only because of this article in the graun that I've discovered that the 'Monopoly' station, Fenchurch Street, is still in existence.

You think you know somewhere and then you get a rude(ish) awakening that you don't know a thing. The only defence I have is that it's in the City, a place and people so utterly alien to me, that I very rarely - if ever - go there for anything. At all.
I have slightly vague but nevertheless fond memories of it because it was where I used to get the train to go out to see my grandparents (because I used to hate the bus - the green line - even though it stopped at the end of their street, and it was a long old tube journey). It doesn't feel like a London station - but then I got to know Marylebone in the last few years and that's a similar kind of size (but with a better cheese shop - coming back home from Marylebone always meant getting the most amazing picnic for the train).

Edit splings.
I still believe in a town called Hope
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

JonnyT1234 I only quite recently found out there isn't a number "13" on our road,I live at number7 and been here for over 20 years.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Newsnight's choice of commentators is sometimes quite bizarre.

So...discussing Osborne's legacy and whether it is being dismantled is...Ann Pettifor from Prime Economics...and the political director of the bleedin' TaxPayersAlliance who read law at university and worked in communications and public affairs!
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Heard interesting discussion about politicians showing emotion/cryingxthe wider public attitude and the Eagle/Humphrey's interview .Apparently it is only a recent expectation of largely not and the stiff upper lip thing.Cromwell apparently was renowned for crying/breaking down etc our resident expert of the times may confirm that or not,although many saw it as a tactic rather than wholly genuine.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Sure it wasn't Toby Young in disguise.TPA seem to have a permanent or at least a semi-permanent fixture as the (non) independent voice.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Newsnight's choice of commentators is sometimes quite bizarre.

So...discussing Osborne's legacy and whether it is being dismantled is...Ann Pettifor from Prime Economics...and the political director of the bleedin' TaxPayersAlliance who read law at university and worked in communications and public affairs!
This made me go and look for 'the other taxpayer's alliance'but the site hasn't been updated since 2011. However, one of the last links was to a new project (new in 2011) called 'False Economy'and that is still reasonably active - last updated this April - and looks interesting.

Apologies if this is something everyone else is already very familiar with.
I still believe in a town called Hope
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Heard of it,haven't visited for ages,didn't realise it was still "going".Thanks for reminder
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

HindleA wrote:Heard interesting discussion about politicians showing emotion/cryingxthe wider public attitude and the Eagle/Humphrey's interview .Apparently it is only a recent expectation of largely not and the stiff upper lip thing.Cromwell apparently was renowned for crying/breaking down etc our resident expert of the times may confirm that or not,although many saw it as a tactic rather than wholly genuine.
I'd be happy to be corrected by someone with much better knowledge of our history than me (aka almost everyone) but a great many of what pass for British mores and etiquette these days are no older than Victorian from what I understand. It could be a myth that I've picked up along the way but I believe that a shockingly large degree of how we now behave stems from that era over anything that preceded it. Our prudishness, 'resolve', and much, much more that makes us 'British' is far less than 200 years old.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Cheers,the guy talking also said also function of two world wars and a kind of "State" control of getting on with it,don't weaken etc.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

HindleA wrote:FT has May pulls plug on Northern Powerhouse.
FT has me, "was it actually ever in the socket?"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Ha ha
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Oh dear, this was on Newsnight.

http://news.sky.com/story/cameron-honou ... s-10520866
A major Conservative donor reportedly included in David Cameron's leaked resignation honours has withdrawn his name from the list amid claims of cronyism.

Ian Taylor, who is head of global energy and commodity trading company Vitol, had apparently been recommended for a knighthood.

Mr Taylor, who has given hundreds of thousands of pounds to the Tory party, said along with the reports of his gong recommendation there had been "seriously inaccurate comments" about his firm.

He has now written to former prime minister Mr Cameron and his successor Theresa May asking for his name to be withdrawn from the controversial list, which was leaked to the Sunday Times.
:D

When even Tory donors begin to back off, you know this is toxic.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

HindleA wrote:Heard interesting discussion about politicians showing emotion/cryingxthe wider public attitude and the Eagle/Humphrey's interview .Apparently it is only a recent expectation of largely not and the stiff upper lip thing.Cromwell apparently was renowned for crying/breaking down etc our resident expert of the times may confirm that or not,although many saw it as a tactic rather than wholly genuine.
It wouldnt have bbeen out of place for the 17th century for men to weep (He does in my book 2 ;) ). He certainly had a habit of odd behaviour at inappropriate moments. A fit of hysterics before Naesby and then chuckling all through the battle, flicking ink bombs at the other regicides when the sentence on Charles I was signed - as well as forcing others to sign - so yeah, Cromwell for all his fearsome reputation was a bit highly strung emotionally.

He was under serious stress though, probably suffering from PTSD, certainly aware that what he was doing was unprcedented, attacked by the remnants of the establishment for being too radical and by the radicals for betraying them, constant threat of assasination, and recurring bouts of malaria etc.

I very much like him though, more and more as I research, and espescially when I read his letters.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Thanks.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... y-watchdog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

More than 30 fake UK universities closed by watchdog

Since 2011, 220 bogus UK universities have been identified and 80% of them are no longer active

Bogus degree-awarding institutions are on the increase, with one being no more than a shopfront and others having no physical presence at all

WTF
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Declaring my bay window a University

Degrees in the following

BSc in Nicotine Science

BSc in Applied Nicotine Science

BSc in Tea Technology

Etc
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-wo ... nk-8547014" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Disabled man arrested for 'being drunk in charge of mobility scooter' at McDonald's drive-thru under Victorian laws

Michael Ernest Green, 62, of Skegness, was charged with being drunk in charge of a carriage - an offence under the 1872 Licensing Act.

The law was originally brought in to crack down on anyone caught drunk in charge of a carriage, steam engine, bicycle a horse or a cow.

Mobility scooters are classed as a carriage and are not covered by current drink-driving laws.

The crime has a maximum penalty of £200 or 51 weeks in prison
ChrisDean
Backbencher

Post by ChrisDean »

I feel that it's been a very sad day at FTN.

RobertSnozers signature probably best sums it all up.

Will be reading here tomorrow at some point I expect.

Goodnight.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Goodnight
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

#remembertolaugh
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/co ... ag-8543777" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Co-op worker 'tries to drag screaming disabled shoplifting suspect from wheelchair and orders her to stand
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/new ... /87963012/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Top court: Delaware's death penalty law unconstitutional

The Delaware Supreme Court has ruled the state's death penalty law is unconstitutional – and the only chance at fixing it is to punt the issue to the already-divided General Assembly.

The top court released its ruling Tuesday that said Delaware's current capital punishment statute violates the U.S. Constitution by giving judges, and not juries, the final say to impose a death sentence.
Supporters of capital punishment will now want the General Assembly to fix the statute's language so the practice can continue. That could be tough since a vocal opposition helped a bill to abolish the death penalty pass the state Senate in 2015, before it failed in a close vote in the House this year.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I haven't slept for a week,beginning to think I'm an alien.There is probably a word for non sleeping bat impersonators who think they are aliens.Well quite a few,all roughly meaning the same thing.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Insomnibats.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Thankyou,very good.

#Insomnibats it is.
extankie
Backbencher

Post by extankie »

HindleA wrote:http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/co ... ag-8543777

Co-op worker 'tries to drag screaming disabled shoplifting suspect from wheelchair and orders her to stand
OMFG. :fire:
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Very impressed with insomnibats.There is probably a word.for people that have.the ability to enscapulate in a single descriptive word a series of given circumstances/scenarios.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36953199" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Over 400 government files missing from National Archives

More than 400 government documents have gone missing from the National Archives in the last four years.
They include Foreign Office files from the 1970s on "military and nuclear collaboration with Israel" and a 1947 letter from Winston Churchill.
One MP from the parliamentary group on official archives told the BBC he was "concerned" by their loss.
The National Archives said it was running a "robust" programme to locate the documents.
A response by officials to a Freedom of Information request from the BBC showed that 402 historical files remain unaccounted for since 1 January 2012.
They include more than 60 Foreign Office files, more than 40 from the Home Office and six from the official records of former prime ministers.

A Home Office file on "disturbances" by the Suffragettes in Westminster in 1910
A Foreign Office dossier from 1963 on Greville Wynne, a British national held by the Russians on allegations of spying
A file from the late 1940s on the "physiological and psychological aspects of tank design".
Minutes from a Treasury working party in 1973 on economic and monetary union in Europe - which laid the groundwork for the Euro nearly three decades later.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2016 ... ish-terror" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Armed French police deployed on British ferries after terror attacks
Marine gendarmes placed on ferries in English channel and North Sea as talks with British authorities decide on extent of security
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

The dream of owning your own home is over. Let’s improve renting
Jonn Elledge
We’ve been obsessed with house buying since the days of Thatcher. But now if tenancies were longer and tenants’ rights stronger, we’d more happily rent

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... er-renting" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

More armed police on London streets, say Met chief and mayor