Christmas.

Random Banter
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Christmas.

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

So what are we all doing for Christmas?

I'm going to spend it with my parents for the first time in ten years.

I'll miss Christmas dinner on my own.

A weird thing to say I know but I enjoyed it. Making my own food, drinking some wine and watching Japanese anime. It became a thing of mine to watch one of the studio Ghibli films every Christmas. I got up to Princess Mononoke.

Anyway I wish you all well and here's a picture of my christmas tree.

It's black. What can I say, I'm an old goth.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Re: Christmas.

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Uuuuurgh. I think I may have done myself a festive injury. Five days of imbibing alcohol is too much even for me. I'm actually looking forward to a couple of days of sobriety and solitude now that I'm home. It was just relentless. I'm a binge drinker. I'm used to having days off to recover. But my Dad, he just kept knocking it back and if I attempted to say "You know what Dad, I'll just have a cup of coffee" he'd just snort and buy me a pint anyway. He has a good reason to be trying to obliterate reality at the moment. I understand that. But he's my Dad and I don't want him going down that road. Especially when I already know it leads absolutely nowhere. When it comes to numbing yourself emotionally alcohol is useless. Which is why I had to hug him on Christmas night when he began crying when we got back from the pub.

Otherwise Christmas was ok.

Got a little drone which I managed to lose control of almost immediately when it got caught in a gust of wind and ended up in the next door neighbour's garden. She claimed it had 'nearly killed' her dog which was bollocks. I've flown the thing directly into my own face and it barely hurt. So either her dog is more fragile than my face or she was being a pain in the arse drama queen. Either way I disarmed her with my charm while hanging over the fence and she gave me it back.

Went on a cool walk in the Cheviot hills as you can see here...

And got a wonderful book called 'The girl who saved the king of Sweden' by Jonas Jonasson which is really fucking funny and consequently provided some much needed comic relief.

And that's about it.

Hope you all had a good one.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Link which maybe of interest to Sky & others to U.Le Guin radio adaptions.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05pktvt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Cheers Hindle, but for me Ursula is a sci-fi writer slumming it with all that dragon stuff for money.

Like a lot of them in the Seventies she realised it was easier to write fantasy than sci-fi, and it brought in more cash.

So we had the likes of Moorcock and her churning out fantasy novels about eternal kings and wizards with morals.

While the likes of her 'The word for world is forest' is largely ignored despite it being a magnificent criticism of not just the Vietnam war but all wars.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Don't forget to take your Xmas stuff down by Friday at the latest, everybody :)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Thanks for reminder,although the three cards,two bits of tinsel and Santa hat(I went overboard this year) shouldn't take long.