Therapy.

Random Banter
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Therapy.

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Through other posts I've made it apparent I'm currently going through CBT, which is Cognitive Behavioural Therapy the talking therapy that is supposed to cure all ills.

This is the second time I've been through the process. The first time was with a middle aged hippy chick who offered me all that 'wellness' bollocks that ultimately made me feel worse. Whereas this time I have a young woman who has an impressive education in psychology but no understanding of the basics of neuroscience.

And that's all I'm interested in. Why is my brain doing this? What can I do to stop it? Or make it more entertaining?

She/they haven't got a clue. The best they can offer is what Pavlov offered.

Training the brain to react in a certain way to certain stimuli over time.

At the minute we either dull everything with drugs in a sledgehammer approach via our GP or we let people wait for most of a year to be trained like dogs.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Re: Therapy.

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

The problem is, would I like to wake up tomorrow as a fine upstanding member of the community?

Would I fuck.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I was told this week by my therapist that the Dodo became extinct because it had no flight or fight response.

Hmmm..no.

The Dodo became extinct because it didn't have time to evolve a fear of humans or rats.

I asked her if she thought a Dodo would just walk off a cliff or into a fire and she said yes.

Later I asked if she had a BA or a BSc in psychology because both are available.

What do you think she said?
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Ok look this is all we get other than being drugged up to the eyeballs.

A 10 month wait then a thoroughly well meaning therapist who relies on methods and means which are staggeringly simplistic. If I were to show you a scan of the 'worksheet' I brought back today you'd think it had come from the Ladybird book of Psychology.

It's laughable. Complex human problems rendered down to a simple diagram.

Like game theory.

It's all about making things easy, quick and as cheap as possible while maintaining the illusion that something is being done.

In other words it's bollocks.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

How do I stop thinking?

That's all I want.

Just to stop considering every little tiny fucking thing.
Hannriet
Backbencher

Post by Hannriet »

I think that in this case you need not a psychotherapist, but a bioheverologist.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Can't argue with that.