Books & Writing

Random Banter
yahyah
Prime Minister

Books & Writing

Post by yahyah »

A couple of FTNer's are published/about to be published authors and a few more have revealed they are involved with writing projects of their own.

So thought it might be useful to have a Book & Writing thread.

Ideas for sharing:

current reading
recommended books
Desert Island reading list,
book that influenced my life
sharing your own writing for critique or fun,
writing technique discussion [Point of view, plot etc.],
how to get published
what you look for in a book
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Re: Books & Writing

Post by Rebecca »

Good idea yahyah.
I have just read the John Connolly 'Charlie Parker' novels.They are so scary I have to stop reading before dark,but strangely poetic in places.
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

Agreed here.

I am a self-published writer with a dozen books under his belt, half a dozen of which have been taken by my local Library. The chance to compare notes would be briliant.
The truth ferret speaks!
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

mbc1955 wrote:Agreed here.

I am a self-published writer with a dozen books under his belt, half a dozen of which have been taken by my local Library. The chance to compare notes would be briliant.

Feel free to share your oeuvre details with us, we are always happy to support other FTNers.
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

yahyah wrote:
mbc1955 wrote:Agreed here.

Feel free to share your oeuvre details with us, we are always happy to support other FTNers.
Thank you for the invitation: I am a writer not a salesman and feel shy of 'pushing' my books at other people.

I have seven novels currently available from Lulu.com, six of which also available on Amazon for the Kindle. Sample chapters from each can be read on my blog at http://mbc1955.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , Categories - Novels.

These consist of 'Even in Peoria', 'Hoops for Hounds' and 'Pay for All', a trilogy of ironic/comic chase thrillers also available in a hardback omnibus that, if I say so myself, is a sheer delight to look at: 'Tempus Fugitive','Tempus Infinitive' and 'Tempus Expletive', aka 'The Tempus Trilogy', which are comedies with an SF slant, featuring time travel, parallel universes, the perils of having a Mad Scientist for an older brother, and cricket. Also a bit of Northern Soul.

My most recent book is 'The Revenge of the Purple Puffin', again a comic spoof, about a Britain that has had to learn to live with superheroes.

I also have two non-fiction books available - 'Walking in Circles', about fellwalking in the Lake District, and 'Red Exile', a diary book about the 1995/96 season from the perspective of a Manchester United supporter who, believing he'll be unable to get tickets during extensive ground reconstruction, opts to follow a local non-League club for a year.

As always, I welcome any feedback (preferably accompanied by sales!), and do do autographed copies, though it's the unsigned ones that are rarer...
The truth ferret speaks!