Local Affectionate Names for Strangers and Others

Random Banter
51A
Committee Member

Local Affectionate Names for Strangers and Others

Post by 51A »

I just thought of this. Mostly because I was thinking of Yorkshire. Back in the day my dad and his brother, both Huddersfield born, used to call each "Cock". Here in Wales the lads of all ages call each other "Butt". I am glad to be called "Lovely" most days but when someone comes over from Devon and calls me "My Lover" I have to have a think about when we might have met.
refitman
Site Admin

Re: Local Affectionate Names for Strangers and Others

Post by refitman »

51A wrote:I just thought of this. Mostly because I was thinking of Yorkshire. Back in the day my dad and his brother, both Huddersfield born, used to call each "Cock". Here in Wales the lads of all ages call each other "Butt". I am glad to be called "Lovely" most days but when someone comes over from Devon and calls me "My Lover" I have to have a think about when we might have met.
I'm originally from Bristol, so I was used to older women going "all-right, my lover" when I served them in shops. Now I'm in S Yorkshire, I get very confused when men call me "love".
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

I'm from Reading Berkshire.

Duckie or my duck was used a lot as was lover, my love. my lovely, and cocker.

I heard from a girl from my street last year and she called me 'my duck'. It was the first time I'd heard it in years.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

I've lived in Manchester most of my life, but spent two years in Nottingham from 1978 to 1980, where I had to get used to 'me duck'. It was odd to begin with but I got used to it, except on the occasion when I was called 'me duck' by a blonde sixteen year old shopgirl and a 50ish grizzled West Indian busdriver in the space of about thirty seconds...
The truth ferret speaks!
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

My Dad called me 'cock'\'cocker' when I was a kid.

And if my inheritance doesn't match my expectations there are many other such tales to be told.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

I often get [politely] called 'bach' by Welsh people, particularly older men, here, which means 'little'.

It's nice, have never had a problem being called 'love', or 'hen', 'duck' or whatever but it does rile some people as they think it patronising.
justamentalpatient
Backbencher

Post by justamentalpatient »

Love is normal round here, females are "bab". Kids, of course, are "babby"