How to view the G Politics Live Blog comments in non-Beta

Random Banter
Spacedone
Whip

How to view the G Politics Live Blog comments in non-Beta

Post by Spacedone »

Thanks to daneclose and the Guardian user Parkin13 for pointing out that it was still possible to access the Guardian Politics Live Blog BTL comments in non-Beta.

As pk1 asked for a techie to explain how they did it I've written this little step-by-step guide. It works for both Internet Explorer and Firefox (possibly Chrome too but I don't use that)

1. Go to the Guardian Politics Live Blog page of the day and let that rubbish Beta load up.
2. On your keyboard press Ctrl and U together. This will open up a document containing the HTML code for that page (the language that tell the computer what to display and how)
3. Press Ctrl and F to bring up a small Find search box and type/copy & paste the following:

theguardian.com/discussion

4. Press next and it will take you to the matching bit of text in the code. You'll find a line that looks something like this (the code on the end will change daily):

http://www.theguardian.com/discussion/p/42ckd

5. Copy it and then paste it into your internet browser and then edit the text to replace www with discussion

6. Press the Enter key and beautiful non-Beta comments will magically appear. And presumably the old CifFix will work again too.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Re: How to view the G Politics Live Blog comments in non-Bet

Post by LadyCentauria »

On Apple computers, replace steps 2 and 3 with these:

2. To view the Source Code (HTML) press ⌥⌘U (together – use two hands!) or select View on the Menubar, scroll down and select View Source.

3. To bring up a small Finder toolbar press ⌘F (together – use two fingers) or select Edit on the Menubar, scroll down to Find, scroll across and down and select Find.

Otherwise follow the instructions in the original post, above. This should work for any browser on all machines running Mac OS 8 and above.

Edit: to annotate with the step numbers in the OP
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...