Food, Cookery, Recipes or Receipts...

Random Banter
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Food, Cookery, Recipes or Receipts...

Post by LadyCentauria »

Quite a few of us have been meaning to start this topic so, before I zonk out for Second Sleep, I've put it up.

Share receipts/recipes, cookery tips or questions, and discuss food, from serious luxury to frugality. All foodstuffs welcome even the ones I/we/one/you don't eat, for whatever reason. It's all yours...
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
yahyah
Prime Minister

Re: Food, Cookery, Recipes or Receipts...

Post by yahyah »

Thanks for starting it Lady C, will be adding to it later.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

Pan Haggerty
Rebecca wrote:Er..what's a Pan Haggerty?
I'm not having the pie for Christmas dinner,just preparing it for when I need a pie over the holidays.
see,we really need a christmas thread so I won't be cluttering up the politics page talking about food.
The basic version is a pound of sliced potatoes, eight ounces grated cheddar, four ounces sliced onions, four ounces of butter. Use some of the butter to gently fry the onions to soft light golden, put half the rest of the butter in an oven-and-hob-proof frying pan or shallow (two-or-three inch deep but wide) pie-dish, in a medium (Mk5) oven to pre-heat it and melt the butter. Once that butter is melted take the pan out onto the hob, put a layer of sliced potatoes in and fry until the base of them is golden. Then layer up so it goes potatoes, onion, cheese, repeat, until the cheese it used up, top with potatoes, dot with the remaining butter and put back in the oven for half an hour. Raise the temperature to medium hot (Mk7) for another 15 mins. Once finished, use a spatula to loosen around the edge, lay dinner- or serving-plate on top, flip over, lift off the pan, slice and serve. Reduce/increase quantities and size of pan according to appetite and numbers.

Now, my Grandma Wilkinson's versions grew and shrank with what was available so she would add layers of cabbage and/or other vegetables, chopped or sliced cooked meat, mash, etc., Even leftover pie sliced fine with the pastry still on. And if there wasn't much meat left she'd shred it or chop it up and mix it and the cheese into the mash and use that as one layer. Often, and especially after feast-days, she'd start with sliced roasted potatoes instead of raw – and reduce the cooking time by about five minutes. So, that's five generations of us, at least, making it as either a cheap feast or a post-feast-day standard, including my son – and my not-my-daughters.

Copied over from this post: http://flythenest.org/viewtopic.php?p=16339#p16339
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Has anyone got any trusted meat-free tapas recipes ?

Am in need for Christmas Eve, to go with mushrooms in sherry & thyme.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

Hi Lady C,
Cooked the pan heggerty recipe yesterday,but only used 1oz of butter,and had layers of chestnut,cranberries and apple,topped off with parmesan....delicious,thanks.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

EGG & BACON QUICHE - Low fat.

This is a dish I first cooked at school. It wasn't until very recently when checking out recipes on the web, that I discovered that mine due to war time shortages not long finished, was low fat.
The Hairy Bikers were agonising over how to make egg and bacon quiche with a lower fat content. They should have asked me.!

Packet lean back bacon with as little fat on it as you can find. Dice it finely.
Add a small amount of chives or if you don't have chives a small amount of very finely chopped onion to the bacon, and fry the mix on a low heat, but don't brown it.
If you're using cheap bacon drain off the liquid that always runs out when it's cooking, then add a small amount of olive oil.
Add black pepper, but not salt. Bacon is salty enough.
Make your shortcrust pasty and line a pie or flan dish. I don't pre-cook the pastry case.
Drain off the bacon and onion and put it in the dish.
Beat two eggs measure them, and then add slightly under the same quantity of semi-skinned milk. You don't need to be dead accurate. Pour over the bacon and onion.
You can sprinkle a small amount of grated cheese at this point if you want. It tastes good, but the original recipe didn't include it, so it's not essential and helps keep the calorie count down.
I always finish off the quiche with lattice work from the left over pastry, but again it's not essential.
Bake for around twenty to thirty minutes at 180.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

For anyone who has a job making light pastry, if you have a food processor, make it in that. And/or, make it in advance and put it in your freezer, or once you've lined your baking tin or tray, stick the whole thing in the fridge for a couple of hours. It really does make your pastry softer and crumblier.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Agree about using a food processor to make light pastry OhSo.
I treated myself to a Magimix out of £1000 my mum gave me out of my dad's insurance policy money after he died.
That was seventeen years ago and it's still going strong. [fingers crossed]

Using it was a revelation.
But miss that feeling of making crumbs of butter and flour and them falling through your fingers, that's very soothing.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Am making my usual pears in red wine for Christmas pud.
Do miss my mum's Christmas pud though.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

From the Politics pages, AAW's recipe for cavolo nero:
AngryAsWell wrote:Chop & put the cavolo nero to boil
Slice an onion & some garlic & fry in butter
Drain the cavolo nero and dry, then add to onion & garlic.
Add 2tbl spoons of good balsamic vinegar & mix well tossing round the pan on high heat till well mixed. Turn the heat down and add a quarter pack of boursin garlic & herb cheese, stir until blended in.
Can be used on pasta as main course, or as a side dish. Either way - Yum!
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Bara Brith, a Welsh spiced tea loaf.
It's tasty, very easy, very quick to mix, but needs to be made in advance of eating to develop the texture and flavour.

This is Elizabeth Luard's recipe, given to her by her Welsh neighbour in Aberyswyth.
I'm not a great baker but it gets my husband's five star rating when I make it for the weekend.

500g mixed dried fruit with peel
300ml strong hot tea
250g self raising flour
1 teaspoon mixed spice - (or to taste, I like it spicy so use two teaspoons of mixed spice and add a few pinches of ground ginger too)
125g dark brown muscovado sugar (or light brown soft sugar, or a mix of the two. But best not to use granulated)
1 large egg, forked gently to combine yolk and white.

Method:
Soak the dried fruit in the hot tea in a large bowl for at least six hours, or overnight.

Heat the oven to 150 degrees C (130 degrees C fan oven)

Line a 1lb loaf tin with baking paper.

Sieve the flour and spice into the soaked fruit - Do not drain off any excess tea .
Stir in the sugar and egg. Beat together until smooth.
Pour into the loaf tin.
Bake for about one and a half hours.
It should be risen, firm and brown.
Cool and store for at least two days to develop its characteristic elasticity.
Slice and serve spread with butter.